Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Will  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2019 16:25:58(UTC)
Will

United States   
Recently bought a MS2 (with track set) and cannot get it to recognize locs. I've tried the "find" option, manual entry, reseting and doing again. Nada. During "find" operation, the lights on a V80-104 will come on briefly when search ongoing, but never registers and get "no loco" message.

My MS2 has 2.54 software version, so wondering if it is matter of updating. That means mailing it off to dealer, but curious if it might be something else. Any suggestions or thoughts?Crying Cursing
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2019 16:40:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Will Go to Quoted Post
During "find" operation, the lights on a V80-104 will come on briefly when search ongoing, but never registers and get "no loco" message.
That's the normal behaviour for locos with LEDs. The "find" function is not reliable and does not work for MM locos if F0 has a low current draw (like modern LED lights)..
Entering MM locos manually is the better approach.
For older decoders make sure red (goes to B) and brown (goes to 0) are not swapped.

Programmable MM decoders can usually be programmed even if the current address is not known. Just program a new address if you do not know the address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2019 19:47:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Recently bought a MS2 (with track set) and cannot get it to recognize locs. I've tried the "find" option, manual entry, reseting and doing again. Nada. During "find" operation, the lights on a V80-104 will come on briefly when search ongoing, but never registers and get "no loco" message.

My MS2 has 2.54 software version, so wondering if it is matter of updating. That means mailing it off to dealer, but curious if it might be something else. Any suggestions or thoughts?Crying Cursing

Indeed, in addition to H0 post, you should update your software. I had similar experiences with my MS 2. As far as I remember (pretty long ago) it was with software version 2.3 or 2.5. Meanwhile I updated to version 3.55 and have not recognized these problems anymore. But I cannot really certify, if it was a software faulty, because Maerklin does not say anything about it.

Who is still selling a MS 2 with a software version 2.5, recently? This version is about 3 or 4 years old. The new version is 3.55 plus a track box update too. Read here:

https://www.marklin-user...-for-32-Function-support
Offline Will  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2019 20:09:53(UTC)
Will

United States   
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try manual entry again, and regardless, get update.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:00:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try manual entry again, and regardless, get update.

Please be aware, Maerklin issued a new manual for the MS 2, extra because of the new software changes for version 3.55.

https://static.maerklin....f3c36e4fb91557845024.pdf

If your dealer is updating your MS 2 assure you get the complete and correct update, including the one for the track box. Well I had a bad experience with a dealer who had not yet the latest update at his CS 3 while he updated my MS 2. Therefore I received not the latest update for my MS 2. This finally was another reason why I bought my own CS 3.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Will  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:10:03(UTC)
Will

United States   
I'm clearly not a genius as far as M digital. However, V80 registers in database but won't respond. Tried an old BR81 with Delta decoder (4 pins means easier to make sure I do not screw up address, lol ). Again, nada.

Going to get software update from someone nearby and go from there. Can use older MS for now, but finally getting track out to plan/brainstorm layout ideas and this is a bummer. Maybe this means I just need to get a CS3. I'm going to go suggest that to the FD right now. Laugh
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:38:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It is also possible you may have been sold a faulty MS2....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:49:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

I'm clearly not a genius as far as M digital. However, V80 registers in database but won't respond. Tried an old BR81 with Delta decoder (4 pins means easier to make sure I do not screw up address, lol ). Again, nada.

Going to get software update from someone nearby and go from there. Can use older MS for now, but finally getting track out to plan/brainstorm layout ideas and this is a bummer. Maybe this means I just need to get a CS3. I'm going to go suggest that to the FD right now. Laugh

Did not want you to spend unbudgeted money.Smile But a CS 3 is a never ending story for learning the MRR hobby more and more intensive. For myself just perfect. I only told you my experience. BTW a CS 3 is also a manager for digital addresses and very helpful, especially using mfx. The track format Maerklin offers since beginning this year to everybody. So you can expect more and more supplieres will make their digtial devices mfx capable.

At the moment I would follow @H0 recommendation and try to register the loco manually. The necessary digital address for the loco you find in the manual either of the loco or of the complete starter set.
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:54:57(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It is also possible you may have been sold a faulty MS2....

I agree, this doesn't look like an update issue.

Have you tried swapping the red / brown wires on the "B" and "0" under the tracks?

Per.

P.S: Actually I don't think your MS2 is faulty, since you can both register manually and have LEDs blinking during "find" Cool

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 05 October 2019 22:57:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
BTW a CS 3 is also a manager for digital addresses and very helpful, especially using mfx. The track format Maerklin offers since beginning this year to everybody. So you can expect more and more supplieres will make their digtial devices mfx capable.

How is this different to a MS2?

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Will  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2019 23:13:02(UTC)
Will

United States   
I think my MS could be faulty, as I've tried everything suggested with 3 locs. I appreciate the help and expert advice! If nothing else, this sort of situation is a great tutorial.....Perhaps taking a break and starting over will help.

Or I will pull out my 35 year old blue transformer! LOL