Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 65kombi  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2012 10:01:20(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Hi all,
Love this forum, what a fountain of information, especially for those of us new to the magical world of digital railroading!

Just wanted to pass along some of my experiences getting things (digital) up and running.

Having bought a new MS2, the introduction of my locs proved somewhat more cumbersome than experienced by me on my the previous MS1
I very methodically introduces each locomotive on my 'programming track' For the most part, all went well with the mfx-equipped units, except for the 26833 (Snow-clearing train) where the MS2 would not recognize the snowthrower unit; after several attempts at manually running the unit along the track with no rsult, I tried the 'search' function: no result; then tried manually entering the address: no result. I then placed the unit on my trusted old analog layout and the unit worked fine; after several back-and forth between the analog and programming track the mfx finally registered on the MS2.
The next hangup was the locomotive out of my 2866 Junkers transport set which had to be entered manually as the MS2 did not recognize it from the database (though the factory settings had not been altered)--no biggie as the only switchable function are the headlights. The most problematic loc to register was my 3748 'mini-croc' which needed numerous back-and-forths between analog and programming track; after about 2 hours of analog runtime I finally managed to get it recognized by MS2. I now have 8 engines programmed and running. The only other strange issue was my 3789 Streamliner: The direction-of-travel symbols were reversed: the engine would run in the opposite direction of that indicated on the MS2 display; this situation has curiously corrected itself after a few hours of playtime!
My next project will be assembing my 37500 Northlander and seeing if MS2 will recognize it!
Cheers!

JD
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2012 10:21:22(UTC)
H0

Hi, JD,

locos with 37xx (not 37xxx) numbers do not have mfx, therefore I don't know what you mean with recognise.
The best way to get them going is registering them from the database (so you don't have to set the name) or register them by address.

mfx registration does not always work automatically. Recent software releases of the MS2 allow you to force mfx recognition. So there should be no need to switch between analogue and digital with those any more.

The 6090 decoder does not support absolute direction, that's why direction of loco and controller can become out of sync. Lift the loco off, reverse the direction and put loco back on the track to fix that.

The 2866 loco is from an analogue set and therefore not listed in the MS2. Maybe it was converted to digital, maybe it is a 2666.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2012 10:48:44(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, JD,

....(...)...

The 6090 decoder does not support absolute direction, ...(...)....

I thought only 6080 doesn't support absolute direction & 6090 did....
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2012 11:09:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Hi, JD,

....(...)...

The 6090 decoder does not support absolute direction, ...(...)....

It dependet on whether or not you had a 6020 or 6021, 6020 didn't support it

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2012 14:55:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
The 6090 decoder does not support absolute direction

Absolute direction came with MM2 along with F1 through F4.
Both 6080 and 6090 only support MM1 and have no absolute direction.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 65kombi  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2012 17:53:56(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Hi, JD,

locos with 37xx (not 37xxx) numbers do not have mfx, therefore I don't know what you mean with recognise.
The best way to get them going is registering them from the database (so you don't have to set the name) or register them by address.

mfx registration does not always work automatically. Recent software releases of the MS2 allow you to force mfx recognition. So there should be no need to switch between analogue and digital with those any more.

The 6090 decoder does not support absolute direction, that's why direction of loco and controller can become out of sync. Lift the loco off, reverse the direction and put loco back on the track to fix that.

The 2866 loco is from an analogue set and therefore not listed in the MS2. Maybe it was converted to digital, maybe it is a 2666.

Tom,
Thanks for the valuable feedback and corrections!
Guess I have to be more precise with my digital terminology: I was using the term 'recognise' in order to convey the fact that the item I was trying to 'register' was not 'recognised' by MS2 either trhough mfx, database or 'manual' (wrong term?) entry of decoder address.

My mistake re: 2866 vs 2666; I have both sets and read off the wrong box as I was writing last night but it was indeed the the 2666 loc that was not being registered from the MS2 database (no biggie..just mentioned it as MS1 had no problems with it)

The 3748 was not being recognised by MS2 by any method and would only register after the protracted to-and-fro between analog layout and digital recognision track.

How can I get the latest MS2 software update other than buying a CS2?

Cheers and happy digiting!

JD
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2012 18:35:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 65kombi Go to Quoted Post
Meet someone with an CS2. Or meet someone with an MS2 that was updated directly from a CS2.
Or mail your MS2 to such a person.

Dealers, clubs, other members of this forum. But I don't know what's around your place.

OT: the CN tower is the tallest building I ever visited. More than twice as high as the tallest building at Cologne.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline 65kombi  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2012 20:27:37(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Originally Posted by: 65kombi Go to Quoted Post
Meet someone with an CS2. Or meet someone with an MS2 that was updated directly from a CS2.
Or mail your MS2 to such a person.

Dealers, clubs, other members of this forum. But I don't know what's around your place.

OT: the CN tower is the tallest building I ever visited. More than twice as high as the tallest building at Cologne.

RE: MS2 update: I'll see if the dealer I bought it from in Toronto can help (John's photo and hobby; wonderful people who I have dealt with for some 30 years)

Yes, the CN Tower is quite impressive, especially considering that it was built in the mid-70's though,as you know, it has since been surpassed by taller free-standing structures in other parts of the world.

Hooked up the 37500 and no issues whatever registering in MS2 from database; an awesome train..love the bell and the horn! Room for one more loc and the MS2 will be full. Have to give some thought to adding another MS2.

Also will do some research into the viability of converting some of my analogs to digital; likely candidates:

3462(Alaska) 3102 3371 3125 3126 3127 33865 3013 3027 3023; not sure if these are do-able: GS800 RET800 GN800 F800 TT800 HR800N

In any case, lots of learning and infinate play-value.
Cheers!
JD
Offline 65kombi  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2012 07:58:09(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Sorted all the various issues, except: Still having a problem with the snowthrower part of my snowclearing train in that it will not stay registered in MS2 after powering down. It was the one unit I had trouble with registring from the start, if all else failed, I could always get it to run on analog after which it would usually register after a few tries. Now it will not run on analog and will only register sometimes, the last time I had to let it sit overnight and it registered (mfx) next day after a few tries. Today I ran the unit for an hour or so..allfunctions worked. I then powered down the MS2 and after a few minutes brought it back online; where the snowthrower had been registered, it now says 'no loc' and once again fails to register. Wondering if this is the mfx on the unit or a MS2 problem (though the 9 other locs I've registered have no issues) I'll search the forum to see if similar problems have been reported. Cheers!
JD