Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2019 04:55:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
So I have a new mLD3 decoder and I am setting up an ex-Hamo Re460, which now has a 5 pole DCM.. These are the motor options in the MDecoderTool3

UserPostedImage

Options 1, 3 and 4 seem to be Softdrive Sinus, Big C-Sine and the Bell shaped armature motors..

What is DC soft and DC hard?

What is the one to use with a 5 Pole DCM?

How do I add a loco image to the decoder?

Seriously challenging to use..

One of the nice things with ESU is the volume of documentation - the MDecoderTool seems to have been developed by the German Secret Service (only the Russians have the full manual LOL )
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2019 07:33:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't know how much that matters as once you run the loco for a bit, the decoder is supposed to configure / calibrate itself.

Edited by user 24 June 2019 12:17:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2019 07:54:54(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Ah, I went through this recently with a soft drive sine loco, and clapcott was invaluable in helping me through.

Option 3 of the C90 is the five pole high efficiency motor that you have fitted. The five pole motor was introduced in the nineties along with the C90 decoder, which was the first generation to have load compensation and acceleration and braking delay.

It does matter in some respects, as selecting to motor type puts the decoder in the correct range to begin driving the loco in order to calibrate. It is important to get things set correctly, particularly with soft drive sine, because if you leave it on the factory default in the case of a sine motor, it simply won't run.

Anyway, try option 3, hope my rant helps.

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2019 10:32:25(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The 5pole motors from the kits, working well with both option 3 or 5

The default by Märklin these days is 5 DC soft

But for the mSD/3 you have to do the calibration run witch is working very well most of the times (not all the times)

At the moment there is no any possibility to and an icon for the loco in the decoder, except for the ones that are working with MS2

May be this feature will be added in a feature firmware update as in the specific decoders that coming with the icon in the memory.

But is very easy to and the icon in the CS3

You are very correct that there is no any serious documentation for a very nice and friendly tool like the mDT/3

Regards

Costas
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2019 14:30:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks guys.. I will try option 3.. I am just working out some LED replacements for the loco..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2019 17:04:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys.. I will try option 3.. I am just working out some LED replacements for the loco..

Oh Märklin issued some information about the mDT3

https://www.maerklin.de/...oderTool3_A5_Deutsch.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...tes/D_DecoderTool_A5.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...2_Special_MM_2016_02.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...pecial_MM_2016_03_04.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...pecial_MM_2016_01_02.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...n/Leitfaden_online_D.pdf

but mainly you may helped with @Clapcott's thread

https://www.marklin-user...l-and-mDT-3-3-3-0-update

because it is in English.BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2019 16:11:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Some documentation for the mSD/3 decoder tool would be great, but I am not holding my breath. I had no clue about which motor type to choose when I upgraded my first DCM loco with an mSD/3 . Luckily there were a series of articles in the Märklin Magazine a few years ago about upgrading older locos which went into reasonable detail about this process, but of course it left some questions unanswered. It is the Märklin way. BigGrin

According to that article option 3 is indeed the correct choice for a DCM powered loco. I have used that setting and done a calibration run on all of my DCM upgrades with an mSD/3 and the running results are very good. Cool

Good luck with your upgrade and let us know how it all goes. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2019 17:41:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
...there were a series of articles in the Märklin Magazine a few years ago about upgrading older locos which went into reasonable detail about this process, but of course it left some questions unanswered.

The problem is those earlier articles covered v1 of the decoder tool software, and a lot of things have been changed around in v3.

The only English documentation I have for v3 is this pdf file from Marklin.

mDecoderTool3_A5_Eng.pdf (743kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2019 19:08:18(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
...there were a series of articles in the Märklin Magazine a few years ago about upgrading older locos which went into reasonable detail about this process, but of course it left some questions unanswered.

The English version is not made by Märklin, it’s a cleaned up google translate of the German version.
Ref: https://www.marklin-user...t34667-Decodertool-mDT-3

But bottom line is, that the documentation provided by Märklin, just barely cover the basics. Fore everything else it’s mostly trial and error. And trying to piece together information form other sources.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline mvd71  
#10 Posted : 25 June 2019 22:50:04(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

The English version is not made by Märklin, it’s a cleaned up google translate of the German version.
Ref: https://www.marklin-user...t34667-Decodertool-mDT-3

But bottom line is, that the documentation provided by Märklin, just barely cover the basics. Fore everything else it’s mostly trial and error. And trying to piece together information form other sources.

Agreed, Marklin bring out some great products, but often the supporting documents let the side down. It would be fantastic if Marklin would put a little more resource into providing proper information with their digital products.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 26 June 2019 01:20:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Agreed, Marklin bring out some great products, but often the supporting documents let the side down. It would be fantastic if Marklin would put a little more resource into providing proper information with their digital products.

That is exactly the situation. The decoder tool is free and very capable, but not what I would call intuitive in use and there is no documentation beyond "push the power button" basics. I tend to just figure it out as I go along and I have mastered most of the use of that tool although there are a few unsolved mysteries still out there for me. Thanks for that link to the V3 doc David - I will take a look at that soon. ThumpUp

I write software for a living and to write software you have to use a lot of other software in the process. I use some amazingly rich development environments (MS C# for instance) which are actually easier to navigate because they are so well documented. They also have vibrant online communities of developers who help each other figure out some amazingly abstract stuff, by sharing our solutions to problems. We have only a few online Märklin venues and the advice is dependant upon the knowledge and discoveries of individual users because Märklin leaves so much of it a mystery.

But here we all are in the MRR world and we love Märklin and we even respect their digital devices. But without proper documentation no one gets the full potential from what is actually some prettys sophisticated stuff, which is wrong. Managers generally make those decisions and I imagine that Märklin developers are also frustrated by the lack of end user documentation. Of course they don't want to actually write the docs themselves and taking time to explain it all to technical writers takes time away from fixing bugs and adding new features. It is the same thing but on different scales everywhere that I have worked, but Märklin's user docs stand out as leaving much to be desired when they even exist at all.

Now let's get back to enjoying these lovely machines, which is the real attraction of this hobby after all. We will solve the mysteries of Märklin digital together or we will fail. But we should all still be marveling at the beauty of these precise and detailed models. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline ktsolias  
#12 Posted : 26 June 2019 08:56:57(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I think that the problem with Märklin software arise because Märklin is a Hardware not a Software company.

The other think is that they are very good in mechanical engineering, but always they need the cooperation of other electronic companies for the electronic control system (Motorola, ESU, etc).

For Märklin the main product are the trains, not the decoders or the controllers like ESU.

The present products, 3rd generation decoders, mfx, CS3, mDT/3, decoder programmer, etc are ages ahead of the previews versions, but still need a lot of work and especially in documentation.

If you want to see what I mean have a look at Märklin and ESU decoders manual......

I think that they must do some manuals (electronic ones are fine) to give and explain all the possibilities of their great products.

Two months ago I spent 3 days to find out how to run a soft Sinus motor with a mSD/3 decoder. Something that is extremely easy with mDT/3 or CS3, less than 3 min.

But any way we will go on with the help of the community to solve the problems

Best Regards

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias