Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hxmiesa  
#51 Posted : 19 August 2019 19:59:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The article starts off with;
The parents of three teenagers who deliberately trashed a model railway exhibition worth £30,000 have been ordered to pay compensation.

But then states that;
Three of them were handed 12-month referral orders and their parents were also ordered to pay £500 in compensation.
A fourth boy was told he would be sentenced on 2 September.

How does 1500,- (maybe 2000,-) compensate 30000,- of damages???
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Minok  
#52 Posted : 19 August 2019 21:38:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yeah, gone are the days of the court being able to add to the sentence that the sheriff go their houses and gather all of their possessions and bring them all to the town square where they are burned in a public bonfire.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#53 Posted : 20 August 2019 06:46:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Having to pay £500 compensation each when £30,000 worth of damage was done seems to be quite light.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ocram63_uk  
#54 Posted : 20 August 2019 09:05:36(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
it is called leniency. Courts and judges are always trying to find an excuse for not sentencing harshly offenders, it is more 'democratic'.
I bet that if these 'kids' had done the same to an animal the outcry would have been bigger !!!
Offline RayF  
#55 Posted : 20 August 2019 13:52:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
it is called leniency. Courts and judges are always trying to find an excuse for not sentencing harshly offenders, it is more 'democratic'.
I bet that if these 'kids' had done the same to an animal the outcry would have been bigger !!!

Well I should think so! I'm not a great animal lover but harming an animal should definitely be dealt with more severely than damage to property!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#56 Posted : 20 August 2019 13:56:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Having to pay £500 compensation each when £30,000 worth of damage was done seems to be quite light.

I agree that the compensation seems a bit low, but they are also facing a year's worth of "referral" where they will presumably be obliged to attend counselling sessions and face other sanctions.

I hope it will be thoroughly unpleasant for them!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline MalinAC  
#57 Posted : 20 August 2019 17:06:38(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
thats all well and good to get them to talk about what they did ,but its worthless to the modelers who had all their work and models destroyed plus their investment in time and hard cash.a slap on the wrist wont stop them doing the very same thing some other time .eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#58 Posted : 20 August 2019 17:48:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
thats all well and good to get them to talk about what they did ,but its worthless to the modelers who had all their work and models destroyed plus their investment in time and hard cash.a slap on the wrist wont stop them doing the very same thing some other time .eddie

I get the impression from the early news items that this particular bunch of lads will learn a lesson from this exercise, and will be less likely to do it again. Others (such as the travellers that mowed down a policeman last week https://www.bbc.co.uk/ne...gland-berkshire-49405179 won't learn any lesson from what they have done.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline hennabm  
#59 Posted : 20 August 2019 20:41:03(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
The idiots involved in this won't take much away from this. A 12 month suspended and their parents paying a paltry fine.

Not really a deterrent to any future yobs.

Still good old Britain - always thinking of the criminal rather than the victim.
Got to remember the 'uman rites of the crim.
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline kiwiAlan  
#60 Posted : 23 November 2019 17:52:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well, it looks like the club has managed to rebuild the layout. It is being exhibited this weekend at the Warley MRR show at the NEC in Birmingham.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#61 Posted : 24 November 2019 06:53:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Alcohol / drugs are common excuses these days by criminals and to do such a damage to a clubs layout is deeper than alcohol and drugs., it shows the pain these fellows experienced has been compensated by the amount of money raised but never the less, when you get to our age you would like to enjoy your creation without some one coming a long and ruining it all for you for no apparent reasons or excuses., these Youth are either ashamed of them selves or laughing all the way to court without nay regret or responsibilities.

Criminals suppose to be taken off the streets but instead they're getting convicted by a slap of the wrist and back to criminal activity the moment they'll get out of prison and while in prison they'll get professional advice from other criminals, who needs to go to university

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#62 Posted : 25 November 2019 00:23:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, it looks like the club has managed to rebuild the layout. It is being exhibited this weekend at the Warley MRR show at the NEC in Birmingham.

Apparently crowd-funding and donations helped a lot.
Including £10,000 from Rod Stewart.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mrmarklin  
#63 Posted : 25 November 2019 22:15:44(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Very good news.

I would like to see the layout someday...…...
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline IanC  
#64 Posted : 26 November 2019 18:07:03(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
If you can access BBC TV 1 and search out The One Show (and BBC News Channel) you can find bits of film covering the Market Deeping Model Railway Club at the Warley Exhibition at the NEC last weekend. Last nights One Show (Monday,25th November 2019, 7pm UK time) had Rod Stewart on being interviewed, including on model railways, and a presentation of a certificate to him in appreciation from MDMRS.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Johnvr  
#65 Posted : 29 November 2019 06:23:20(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

It just dawned on me some irony here.

Obviously Rod Stewart has been hailed as a hero after donating significant funds to help restore the railway modules which were trashed.
We all applaud him for that.

In the article posted in another thread this morning, there was a statement that rock n roll elite used to trash hotel rooms.
Quote :

Being a member of the rock’n’roll elite used to include stadiums of screaming fans and trashed hotel rooms but celebrities are increasingly turning to more sedate pursuits such as building model railways, according to the boss of Hornby.

Two weeks ago Sir Rod Stewart outed himself as the proud owner of a 1,500 sq ft model layout and Lyndon Davies, the chief executive of Hornby, said that Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and the pop mogul Pete Waterman were other big names involved in the model railway “scene”.

Is it fashionable to trash hotel rooms but not fashionable to trash model railway sets ?

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#66 Posted : 29 November 2019 06:42:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Is it fashionable to trash hotel rooms but not fashionable to trash model railway sets ?

Keith Moon, drummer for 'The Who' was known to put sticks of dynamite down hotel loos and set them off......

Don't know if he ever had a model railway set, if he did it had probably been blown up a few times!

Offline Purellum  
#67 Posted : 29 November 2019 11:27:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post

I think most of us did things in our youth which we now find "not so clever"; I know I did LOL

We all get wiser as we grow older; it even happened to Rod Steward BigGrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum