Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DB Fan  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2019 05:38:16(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
Looking to buy a CS 60212. Wanted to know if it is a good choice for running any Marklin digital engine with factory decoder or any analog engine upgraded wit a marklin decoder. Are there any limitations to run mfx engines? Just looking for basic digital control of the engines I have. Don't need to control anything else then engines or set up routes. Sound is not a priority as well. Can the engine address be changed on a programming track? Sorry if these questions where asked before. Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Robert

Edited by user 10 March 2019 22:25:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Ove Malmström  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2019 07:56:18(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
Wouldnt the Mobile station 2 do the job, ore are the Mobile station 2 lacking somthing?
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2019 08:53:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Looking to buy a CS 60212. Wanted to know if it is a good choice for running any Marklin digital engine with factory decoder or any analog engine upgraded wit a marklin decoder. Are there any limitations to run mfx engines?
Take care which version it has.
If it has software version 1.x then it did not yet get the hardware upgrade from Märklin.
If it has software 2.x then you can upgrade to 2.0.4, the latest version from Märklin.
If it has software 3.x or 4.x then you can always upgrade to the latest version from ESU.

With version 3.x or 4.x it is an ESU ECoS 50000 with a Märklin logo - IMHO a very capable controller. You also get DCC and SX with that version and 4 A booster output.
With version 2.x it is OK, but limited to mfx and MM protocols with only 16 functions per mfx loco and only 9 functions per MM loco entry.
IMHO you should avoid buying one with version 1.x.

The 60212 is the only Märklin controller that supports 28 speed steps for the MM protocol.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2019 15:28:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello
Looking to buy a CS 60212. Wanted to know if it is a good choice for running any Marklin digital engine with factory decoder or any analog engine upgraded wit a marklin decoder. Are there any limitations to run mfx engines? Just looking for basic digital control of the engines I have. Don't need to control anything else then engines or set up routes. Sound is not a priority as well. Can the engine address be changed on a programming track? Sorry if these questions where asked before. Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Robert

The CS 1 is the controller from Märklin which is not compatible to all other controllers. Once I tested my MS 2 at a CS 1 and it was not working. If you want to waste money, buy it. In my opinion it is electronic trash today. Even a MS 1 is better, because this is functioning at a CS 3 too.
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2019 15:39:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Once I tested my MS 2 at a CS 1 and it was not working.

Why did you do that test ??

You must have plenty of links to Märklin pages telling you that it will not work. LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2019 15:43:14(UTC)
H0

I once tested my MS2 with my CS1 and it was working. I know wot I'm doing.

Both devices have a Märklin logo, both devices use the CAN bus - it's a pity they do not communicate properly via the CAN bus. Thanks, Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2019 16:42:21(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Both devices have a Märklin logo, both devices use the CAN bus - it's a pity they do not communicate properly via the CAN bus. Thanks, Märklin.

Maybe the software of the 2 different CS1s have a different origin ;)

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline DB Fan  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2019 17:05:46(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Could we please comment or make suggestions on my original post. Posts 5-7 are not helping me to make a decision. Thanks.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Offline DB Fan  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2019 17:07:24(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Thank you HO. Didn’t know about the different versions. Very helpful.

Robert
Offline DB Fan  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2019 17:16:42(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Thanks TEEWolf. I’m trying to decide what digital controller I want to go with. Looking into intellibox, ms2, ms1, cs1 or any alternative to a CS2 or CS3. Looking for a basic controller to run my engines on a future midsize layout. Like I mentioned, I’m not interested to control anything digitally besides the engines . Any suggestions or comments, no matter if positive or negative, are welcomed. Thank you.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2019 17:21:43(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Posts 5-7 are not helping me to make a decision.

Well, most of post 4 is misleading / wrong, so using that to make a decision would not be a good idea.

Post 3 has all the relevant information.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 06 March 2019 21:42:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi. I have a CS2. Great controller and if you can buy second hand at a good price go for it. Do not get a CS1. Made by ESU it has a poor screen and is outdated.
Either the Marklin MS or the Marklin CS2 will by fine for you. Don't let anybody confuse you. We have experts on here who are great but frankly most of the time I have no idea what they are talking about.

Best to make your own decision and any future problems can be sorted by somebody on the forum.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 06 March 2019 23:43:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks TEEWolf. I’m trying to decide what digital controller I want to go with. Looking into intellibox, ms2, ms1, cs1 or any alternative to a CS2 or CS3. Looking for a basic controller to run my engines on a future midsize layout. Like I mentioned, I’m not interested to control anything digitally besides the engines . Any suggestions or comments, no matter if positive or negative, are welcomed. Thank you.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

I would sooner have an MS2 than a CS1 (60212). The screen implementation of the Cs1 is not very god at all, and I was very disappointed in it when it was first introduced.

The ms2 will allow you to do everything a cs1 will, unless you end up with a very large layout. But if you have alarge layout then a cs1 will not help either as its output is not very high, and the booster implementation was flawed. I don't know if ESU fixed that when they produced the software version 3 and up, but you will only be able to use ESU boosters, if they do work. If you are running that many trains that a cs1 or ms2 cannot handle the load then you are into cs2/3 territory anyway, probably with boosters.

The track box that comes with the ms2 will allow you to use 1 or 2 ms2's plugged straight into it, and by using a CANBus expander you can have more than 2 (I believe up to 10?) ms2s.

You can get a brand new ms2 setup (including track box and 36VA power supply as provided in start sets) for a similar price to just a cs1 (which will still need a power supply, although you could use an old Marklin transformer for this).
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 06 March 2019 23:50:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have a CS1 60212.
I have been using this consistently since 2007 on my layout, and have it connected to an MS1 as well.
The latest engines from Maerklin (including MFX and MFX+) register and work perfectly on the CS 1, with all sounds and features.
If you take note of what Tom says about the versions, a CS1 should be perfectly useful for you.
(The reality cab control and consumer replication of the MFX+ does not work, that is only for the CS3)

Yes the screen and the speed of the processor are outdated - but for me it is only a model train set!!!

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 07 March 2019 01:00:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Well you told this already once. Because of your statement, I was encouraged to test it at my last MIST. A member has a CS1. He already told me before, it would not function, nevertheless I tried and it failed. I do not know why.

In post #3 you describe detailed the problem of a CS1. Too many possibilities for a controller. And the CS1 at my MIST I do not know its standard. Sorry I only would take it as a gift, even it was about 15 to 20 years ago state of the art. But today it is totally superseded. I think it really can be compared to the development for a software like Windows. Who is still using Windows XP today? Even no longer supported by Microsoft, certainly there are a few people using XP. XP was a good OS.

I guess (but I never did a serious research about it) an influence has the try of Märklin to reorganize the current supply of its MRR. I only know the Märklin-Booster 60173 did require a separation of the ground rail between the booster circuits. The 60174 does it not. There must be an effect to the CS1 as well. It is to far away from me. I think you are much better informed about this desaster by Märklin.
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 07 March 2019 01:19:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

In any case, I would decide for a controller, which is running perfectly in a CAN bus.

If I remember correctly once you wrote you are speaking German. Please refer to this marklin-users.net thread post #26

https://www.marklin-user...--Here-I-come#post588326

I listed some links about the CAN bus, mainly in German.

From my starter set I do have 2 MS 2 and one track box. Except the 16 functions of a MS 2, it is really a good and sufficient controller for all basic digital functions too. I still use the MS2 and sometimes even the track box. I had some software problems, when I received the MS2. But it was version 1.8 meanwhile it is updated to version 2.7 and I did not recognize old failures any more.

Just for your information, this offer includes MS2, track bx and power suppy

http://joes-modellbahnla...15f08b03b/Products/60657
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 07 March 2019 22:42:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In any case, I would decide for a controller, which is running perfectly in a CAN bus.

Even two MS1s or a MS1 and a CS1 are communicating on a CAN bus.

It works fine, even without galvanic isolation LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 08 March 2019 09:18:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The CS 1 is the controller from Märklin which is not compatible to all other controllers.

There's an understatement........

The CS1 works fine with a MS1. You can plug a MS2 into a CS1, but the MS2 will not work with the CS1.

If the CS1 is at v2.0.4 it can act as a remote controller to any CS2 via the ethernet cable, and will work with a CS3 if you use a CS2 as an intermediary controller.

system_60216_big.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 09 March 2019 07:53:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The ms2 will allow you to do everything a cs1 will, unless you end up with a very large layout.
When it comes to programming mfx decoders a lot can be done with a CS1 that can't be done with an MS2.
MS2 cannot even do basic things like dimming the lights, changing the speed curve, changing the function mapping, ...

The screen of the CS1 is its weakness - but it still has more pixels than the screen of an MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 09 March 2019 07:56:41(UTC)
H0

A member has a CS1. He already told me before, it would not function, nevertheless I tried and it failed. I do not know why.
I don't know what you made wrong. It is very simple to connect the MS2 trackbox to the sniffer port.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DB Fan  
#21 Posted : 10 March 2019 05:36:19(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
What transformer do I need/ can be used with the CS1? Can I connect it directly to the track or do I need a special connector? I’m going to use mainly M track. Thanks.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#22 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:20:39(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
What transformer do I need/ can be used with the CS1? Can I connect it directly to the track or do I need a special connector? I’m going to use mainly M track. Thanks.

The trafo should be a 60052 or similar that delivers 52VA AC. A special Calle has to be used.

Connection to the track can be through a connector M-track without chokes. Or just soldered wires to the track.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user