Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2019 20:14:07(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Joined: 08/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1,660
Location: Longueuil-Canada
Hi guysCool

Can M84 and M83 be coupled together on the same power supply from the cs2 or a booster or must they be separated?

Thank you

Thewolf
Project Laurentides-Neudstadt-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline rrf  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2019 22:54:13(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Joined: 15/11/2009(UTC)
Posts: 233
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland USA
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guysCool

Can M84 and M83 be coupled together on the same power supply from the cs2 or a booster or must they be separated?

Thank you

Thewolf

Hello,

I have mine linked together, powered by a 60822. They are connected to a CS3 rather than CS2, though that shouldn't make a difference.
M83_M84.jpg
Note: the image shows an invalid confirguration where I have the digital feeds connected to the 60822, which I subsequently learned was incorrect. They are now connected to the M84 and both decoders are happy.
Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2019 01:41:17(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Joined: 18/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 326
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Serge,

I have an m83 connected to an m84 similar to Rob's picture, but without the 60822. I use as CS3 but the decoders are connected to the track with the brown and red wire. Only one unit in the string of decoders needs to be connected to the track or power supply. The instructions say several can be connected together, but I have not seen any indication of what the maximum number is.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
Offline Thewolf  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2019 14:21:15(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Joined: 08/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1,660
Location: Longueuil-Canada
Hello Rob and Harold Cool

Thank you ...very appreciated Cool

Ok now I can continue

have a nice day

Serge
Project Laurentides-Neudstadt-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2019 21:26:59(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Joined: 15/10/2006(UTC)
Posts: 2,076
Location: Washington, Pacific Northwest
A recommendation by a dealer to a YouTuber was every 3 or so may be best served with its own power supply to ensure reliable operation in all cases, though one could string a lot of them together. The following string was recommended against.

Capture.PNG

Seen in this YouTube video at 16:42
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Minok1217/
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2019 00:27:02(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Joined: 12/12/2005(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Wellington, New_Zealand
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The following string was recommended against.

The recommendation should come with some qualification.

Connecting multiple k83 & k84s by daisy chaining the brown/red is little different from m83 in basic mode (just pulsing a port one at a time)
Historically 10s of k83s/k84s have been used without an external power supply from a controller WITH trains running on the same circuit.

In basic mode , the main issue I would have with the picture is the amount of cabling from the ports to their devices.

IF you have m84s then these do not use latching relays and therefore require constant power
IF the m83s are being used in non-basic mode, with ports "on" all the time then you need to sum up the power requirements

Worst case, a single m83 with 8 ports "on" drawing an allowed 200mA each will consume 1.6A, when the 6636x is only rated at 2A (36VA @ 18V)

In summary do the math, based on your own configuration AND expected usage.


Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 20 February 2019 15:23:23(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Joined: 08/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1,660
Location: Longueuil-Canada
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The following string was recommended against.

The recommendation should come with some qualification.

Connecting multiple k83 & k84s by daisy chaining the brown/red is little different from m83 in basic mode (just pulsing a port one at a time)
Historically 10s of k83s/k84s have been used without an external power supply from a controller WITH trains running on the same circuit.

In basic mode , the main issue I would have with the picture is the amount of cabling from the ports to their devices.

IF you have m84s then these do not use latching relays and therefore require constant power
IF the m83s are being used in non-basic mode, with ports "on" all the time then you need to sum up the power requirements

Worst case, a single m83 with 8 ports "on" drawing an allowed 200mA each will consume 1.6A, when the 6636x is only rated at 2A (36VA @ 18V)

In summary do the math, based on your own configuration AND expected usage.




Hello Peter thank for your replyCool

I suspected that there was something in the kind of your comment... That's why I decided to make a special connection to the M84s and a second to the M83s....in short, to separate them

Thewolf
Project Laurentides-Neudstadt-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2019 05:45:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Germany   
Joined: 01/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guysCool

Can M84 and M83 be coupled together on the same power supply from the cs2 or a booster or must they be separated?

Thank you

Thewolf


Hello Serge,

YES you can.Smile

https://static.maerklin....0cd3f3481a1504787016.pdf

See the manual on page 14 in English (in French page 22 BigGrin ) "Electrical Connections". An important and interesting point (even to myself): it is only allowed to connect the decoders by its jacks together. A connection with extension or connecting cables in between the decoders is forbidden.

salutWink

Wolfgang
CS 3 is a controlling station from Märklin - not a central station.
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2019 20:28:14(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Joined: 08/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1,660
Location: Longueuil-Canada
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guysCool

Can M84 and M83 be coupled together on the same power supply from the cs2 or a booster or must they be separated?

Thank you

Thewolf


Hello Serge,

YES you can.Smile

https://static.maerklin....0cd3f3481a1504787016.pdf

See the manual on page 14 in English (in French page 22 BigGrin ) "Electrical Connections". An important and interesting point (even to myself): it is only allowed to connect the decoders by its jacks together. A connection with extension or connecting cables in between the decoders is forbidden.

salutWink

Wolfgang


Thank you Wolfgang Cool

Project Laurentides-Neudstadt-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline imalanext  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2019 22:29:55(UTC)
imalanext

United States   
Joined: 02/02/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1
Location: Raleigh, NC
Okay, I have been modelling in Marklin for 50 years, but am now starting over with an all digital layout. I have a CS3 and M83 and M84 modules but cant figure out how to connect the modules to the controller. Or is the connection through the turnout wires? Help!!!
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2019 23:09:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

Germany   
Joined: 01/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by: imalanext Go to Quoted Post
Okay, I have been modelling in Marklin for 50 years, but am now starting over with an all digital layout. I have a CS3 and M83 and M84 modules but cant figure out how to connect the modules to the controller. Or is the connection through the turnout wires? Help!!!


Hello Newbie,

welcome imalanexr,

you found already an old thread about m83 and m84 decoders. There are a few more threads about it available. May be you read the threads and some sources and links listed in the various posts here first, please.

https://www.ajckids.com/blog/?p=656

https://www.marklin-user...nd-external-power-supply

https://www.marklin-user...-Switch-Powerpack--60822

https://www.marklin-user...of-addresses--CS3--m8--2

Not all will be of interest for you, but make your own choice. Here are a reference for Maerklin US and their offers.

https://www.marklin-user...rklin-Digital-Newsletter

Please not, for your purpose a k83, k84 is equal with a m83 and m84. The k decoder are only older models.

Also meanwhile Maerklin offers a lot of videos at YouTube. Unfortunately the spoken text is mainly in German, but you see what the person is doing and this may help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/...UC_ulAkE0RxHUEhpvWf49pRQ




Best Regards

TEEWolf
CS 3 is a controlling station from Märklin - not a central station.
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2019, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.686 seconds.