Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2018 22:54:35(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

I'm building a small digital software-controlled layout and having LOTS of problems with derailments, all caused by couplers. Most of my curves are R2 or greater, but some are on 4% grades. I am having problems with couplers pulling loose from cars and locomotives, or couplers becoming entangled with the buffers. I'm going crazy.

I have one Roco locomotive and this rarely gives problems; it seems like it's the Marklin couplers overall. I'd like to replace them all with one brand of coupler that is well engineered, because I'm sick and tired of problems caused by using different variations of these things. There are 4 primary types of couplers used in my wagons and locomotives: (a) those attached with a screw, (b) those that push in and spread outward to hold in place, (c) those that push onto the bottom of the wagon, and (d) close couplers. It seems like the older ones, such as (a) or (c), work better.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of coupler that will work with (a) through (d) and that have a reputation as being relatively problem free?

Thank you and my apologies - I know this has been covered before but I came away without a clear idea of which brand to purchase and whether that brand will work with my wagons. From my reading, Roco is well-recommended.

Cheers, John

DSC00540.JPGDSC00541.JPGDSC00544.JPGDSC00545.JPG
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2018 23:21:12(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I noticed two of your cars have current conducting couplers which I have on my 4428 Reinewald set. They always seem to have problems because the little spring pops out and then the chassis is too stiff to make the bends. However the rest of my couplers work ok except when the old and new style join together which then I have to fiddle around to join them but they of themselves do not cause derailments. Check if the springs are attached (I admit couches are a pain to take apart) good luck - Fred
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2018 23:27:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
my anecdotal experience from being in Märklin related train fora for about 24 years, is that, on Märklin tracks, derailment, coupler, and wheel problems almost always boil down to one of the following:

1) badly laid track (including grades that are too steep)
2) not using Märklin wheels
3) not using Märklin couplers
4) not using Märklin rolling stock.

In your case it sounds like your grades are simply too steep.

As far as I can see, well laid track using all Märklin equipment does not unreasonably derail or become uncoupled.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2018 23:49:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Agree with Dale. Use all Marklin and I find everything works. As soon as I have a Brawa coach there is a coupler problem. As said check the track and turnouts and inclines. Also sliders for lighting on coaches can cause problems.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2018 00:36:09(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I had some problems with derailments, but only with non Marklin wagons etc. Non Marlin wheels are a problem. [ they wont go through m track points without derailing ] The only way i could cure my problems was to get close to the wagon while it was becoming uncoupled or mainly derailed, so I could see what was actually going wrong. Steepness has been mentioned, and it could be the sudden transition from flat to inclines which may not help. A gradual transition is better. Also I found 3 % was enough to put a strain on the locos. Identify the areas of track most prone to problems, even if you have to have someone else drive the locos while you watch closely.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2018 03:44:48(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thanks for the good replies - all useful info. I agree that 4% is a bit steep - it's actually a little less than that but the trouble I've been experiencing comes mainly from the wagons detaching from the locomotive or derailments as the trains go downhill around curves. Thinking about it more carefully, the wagons are pushed together more as they go down an incline, and when going around a curve the couplers can get hung up on the buffers. I tried slowing the trains down at certain curves and this seems to have solved the problems. I'm not exactly sure why with certain locomotives, the wagons detach, but I can probably figure this out. And, the wagons with close couplers do better - I have fewer problems.

But your answers about using only Marklin couplers surprised me. While I do have all Marklin wagons and wheels and couplers, I see a fair amount of variation in coupler height - some droop down, others don't, and they often don't couple easily. I have wagons from way back as well as brand new, and I wouldn't be surprised if over the years some of the couplers have become mis-aligned, but there still seems to be a fair amount of variation in coupler height with newer wagons. Maybe I should be replacing some of the older Marklin couplers with newer Marklin versions?

At any rate, I appreciate your responses. Slowing things down has solved he main problems.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2018 04:24:35(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I realized that I'm using the wrong terminology - I'm not having problems with the wagons using current-conducting close couplers, but with the standard close couplers and older relex couplers, which I have on a few older wagons I'll add that on those wagons and locos using the standard close couplers, there is strong advice out there to replace them all with Roco 40397 couplers. This might solve my decoupling issues. But I think the derailments were largely the result of going downhill around curves at too fast a rate of speed - I should have realized that going downhill 'scrunches' the couplers together, which creates problems.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2018 08:04:15(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi John. Glad you got on top of your problem. An easy fix as well. I have the occasional problem myself but not often. At the moment, I am running a very old V60 with older wagons and the modern but dastardly awfully Hobby named wagons. To get up my 3% incline I have to have the 280 tranny set just above 1/2 throttle, to stop the loco struggling, then on the flat its speed increases a lot, then a lot more going down the other side. Normally no problems but one day i noticed the last wagon had ended up at the front of the engine. [ that was one of the "hobby" wagons ] That what happens when you get busy controlling other engine on other areas of the layout.

Dereck

ps check all your older stock on a coupling gauge. Not sure its any use with the latest stuff as you cant adjust them like you can on the older stuff.t
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2018 09:41:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone recommend a particular brand of coupler that will work with (a) through (d) and that have a reputation as being relatively problem free?
For the type "c" cars you can use Märklin 7205 to get close couplers.

I avoid loop'n'hook couplers in NEM pockets with guiding mechanisms (leads to problems) and I also avoid coupling loop'n'hook couplers to Märklin close couplers (also leads to problems). Problems occur when going downhill, when pushing trains, when braking hard, ...

I prefer Roco Universal Couplers for non-Märklin rolling stock. Most of my Märklin rolling stock has Märklin close couplers.
For locos I sometimes remove the loop from the Märklin close coupler to avoid problems with scale models - or also use Roco Universal Couplers.

My fixed consists can have various couplers between cars (Roco close coupler, Fleischmann Profi Coupler, Liliput close coupler), but will have Märklin or Roco Universal at the ends.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2018 11:57:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
One thing I have found is not to start or end an incline on a curve. Mainly just a matter or trail and error to get the right coupler for the right coach.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline torhb  
#11 Posted : 22 September 2018 12:37:34(UTC)
torhb

Hi,
Using Relex couplers will most likely give you problems if pushing a set of cars through a curve or going downhill through curves (specially S-curves).
Using Märklin close couplers are a much safer solution.

Regards
Tor
Tor Harald Bøhler
Oppegård, Norway
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by torhb
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#12 Posted : 22 September 2018 14:49:35(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
This is all good advice, and I went ahead and purchased some 7203 and 7205 to replace existing couplers. Many of my cars are from the 1990's and/or used from eBay, so the couplers have become damaged here and there.

The advice about not starting inclines/declines on curves is right on. Unfortunately for my layout, that's what I do, so I've taken care to make it a very gradual transition and also to go slowly, and this is one spot where surprisingly I do not have coupler problems. Also the advice of trial and error to get the right coupler for the right car is right on as well - I'm slowing seeing that, for example, I best not have a long freight car as the first car in a consist, and so forth. The passenger trains with current-conducting couplers are okay and I don't change anything except maybe the locomotive, and it looks like maybe I will need to do the same with the freight trains - perhaps the new couplers will help a lot, though.

Thank you all for the help - this has all been very useful advice for me.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 22 September 2018 15:17:18(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
sounds like good progress. The older metal coupling could also get bent and that is why Märklin sold a coupling gauge that would sit on the tracks and you could then see if it was too high or low and bend correct them by bending. But if buffers are fouling, it may be the radius of the curves too.

Some of the very modern wagons have buffers that can be adjusted, so you can make them shorter if you need to run them through sharp curves.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 22 September 2018 19:27:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
I noticed two of your cars have current conducting couplers which I have on my 4428 Reinewald set. They always seem to have problems because the little spring pops out and then the chassis is too stiff to make the bends. However the rest of my couplers work ok except when the old and new style join together which then I have to fiddle around to join them but they of themselves do not cause derailments. Check if the springs are attached (I admit couches are a pain to take apart) good luck - Fred

4428 Reinewald set? What mysterious set is it? I found for Märklin # 4428 this wagon and no set:

https://www.lokmuseum.de...ine&Seite=4&SID=

I hope you enjoy a good cup of Ovomaltine.BigGrin
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 22 September 2018 20:00:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

This is all good advice, and I went ahead and purchased some 7203 and 7205 to replace existing couplers. Many of my cars are from the 1990's and/or used from eBay, so the couplers have become damaged here and there.

The advice about not starting inclines/declines on curves is right on. Unfortunately for my layout, that's what I do, so I've taken care to make it a very gradual transition and also to go slowly, and this is one spot where surprisingly I do not have coupler problems. Also the advice of trial and error to get the right coupler for the right car is right on as well - I'm slowing seeing that, for example, I best not have a long freight car as the first car in a consist, and so forth. The passenger trains with current-conducting couplers are okay and I don't change anything except maybe the locomotive, and it looks like maybe I will need to do the same with the freight trains - perhaps the new couplers will help a lot, though.

Thank you all for the help - this has all been very useful advice for me.

For me it is not really surprising your wagons do not uncouple while your trains are going slow. This is a hint to @DaleSchultz point #1 in post #3.

Of course Märklin has issued already a long story (18 series) about couplers. And of course only in German and of course only available by the German Märklin homepage.

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

Scroll all the down page to the bottom, to find this topic:

Alte Modelle - kurz gekuppelt (MM 04/2002 bis 04/2006) [Old models - short coupled (MM 04/2002 to 04/2006)]

First 3 series – as an example
https://www.maerklin.de/...02_03_Kurz_gekuppelt.pdf

Even you do not understand German, but in all articles they have informative pictures. Sorry, but the same with another source here from this Swiss guy “Rainers Modellbahn” (www.stayathome.ch)

https://www.stayathome.ch/kupplungen.htm

Another overviwe about Märklin couplers

https://dermodellbahnblo...lungen-tipps-tricks.html

Krois offers big variety of different couplers

http://www.krois-modell.at/produkt/

Here you get the famous conduct couplers RTS. Used by Märklin too till they started doing their own ones.

https://www.mbs-fischer....isenbahn/rts-kupplungen/

Lots of information, but it is weekend time.BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 22 September 2018 20:31:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
4428 Reinewald set? What mysterious set is it?

Try 4228 Rheingold RollEyes

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/4228/

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 22 September 2018 20:52:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

4428 Reinewald set? What mysterious set is it?

Try 4228 Rheingold RollEyes

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/4228/

Per.

Cool

Thanks. Don't you think too, there is a big differnce between a pure forest and Gold from the Rhine?Laugh
Offline Jabez  
#18 Posted : 22 September 2018 23:12:30(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I think these two articles are a very helpful reference for couplers.

http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/

http://blog.reynaulds.co...model-railroad-couplers/

Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Jabez  
#19 Posted : 22 September 2018 23:14:57(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I know this has been covered before but I came away without a clear idea of which brand to purchase and whether that brand will work with my wagons.

Jabez

Offline JohnjeanB  
#20 Posted : 22 September 2018 23:25:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John

What I have noticed over the years re derailments links to:
- vertical angle between adjacent rails . You mention grades of 4% which is OK (close to recommended maximum) the vertical angles of track must be as small as possible. Ideally it is best to curve rails vertically so that there is no angle but a smooth curve (Difficult to do with M track)
- no combination of curve / Counter-curve combined with grade change
- no non horizontal switches
Vertical interference is especially significant with Relex couplers you are using

I hope this helps

Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
MrB32  
#21 Posted : 23 September 2018 00:23:36(UTC)

I had written a 101 about old styles coaches and wagons with metal RELEX couplers. Usually these work well provided a few conditions are met. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

Tin-plate-coaches-and-wagons-101
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#22 Posted : 24 September 2018 14:10:11(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi John

What I have noticed over the years re derailments links to:
- vertical angle between adjacent rails . You mention grades of 4% which is OK (close to recommended maximum) the vertical angles of track must be as small as possible. Ideally it is best to curve rails vertically so that there is no angle but a smooth curve (Difficult to do with M track)
- no combination of curve / Counter-curve combined with grade change
- no non horizontal switches
Vertical interference is especially significant with Relex couplers you are using

I hope this helps

Cheers

Jean

Hi Jean,

To make sure I understand you, when you say "vertical angle" are you talking about avoiding one rail being higher than the other, in other words, avoiding canting the track? I do have one set of curves that is slightly canted mainly because of a Marklin article advising to do so, however the article was probably talking about curves not necessarily on an incline.

I appreciate your response as well as the other responses. Slowly, I am correcting the problems and derailments on the layout, greatly reducing my frustration and increasing my pleasure.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 24 September 2018 18:34:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Jabez

Hello Jabez,

both links does not work for me.

regards

TEEWolf
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#24 Posted : 24 September 2018 18:43:27(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   

Jabez

Hello Jabez,

regards

TEEWolf

Hi -

They worked for me but I had to click directly on the URLs. Here they are without the "..." in the URLs, you need to put "http://" at the front:

blog.reynaulds.com/index.php/ho-scale-model-railroad-couplers

blog.mailez.de/eblog/2014/06/22/close-couplers-for-h0-models

These were both well-worth reading, in my opinion.

---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Jabez  
#25 Posted : 26 September 2018 22:58:47(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

Hello Jabez,

regards

TEEWolf

I don't know what went wrong. They worked for me when I tested them before posting, but now they don't work for me either.
Fortunately the links given in Johnpatrickwack's reply post above this do work. Let me know if you still can't get to the sites and I will try to help you.
Jabez
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 27 September 2018 03:53:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Jabez,

regards

TEEWolf

I don't know what went wrong. They worked for me when I tested them before posting, but now they don't work for me either.
Fortunately the links given in Johnpatrickwack's reply post above this do work. Let me know if you still can't get to the sites and I will try to help you.
Jabez

Thanks, I copied the URLs from @johnpatrickwack into my browser and oh wonder it is functioning. Smile But your links are still dead. Welcome to the new digital world.Love In prior years we said: "many ways leading to Rome." And it is only important to achieve the goal.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline JohnjeanB  
#27 Posted : 06 October 2018 12:12:24(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Jean,

To make sure I understand you, when you say "vertical angle" are you talking about avoiding one rail being higher than the other, in other words, avoiding canting the track? I do have one set of curves that is slightly canted mainly because of a Marklin article advising to do so, however the article was probably talking about curves not necessarily on an incline.

I appreciate your response as well as the other responses. Slowly, I am correcting the problems and derailments on the layout, greatly reducing my frustration and increasing my pleasure.

Hi John

Appologies for not responding earlier.
What I call vertical angle is for example an horizontal rail followed by a 4% grade rail. It should be replaced with a gentle vertical curve or with multiple smaller length rails to spread / distribute the 4% angle among minimum 2 and better 3 rail junctions

The result of the large angle is:
- the coupler buckle bumping on a contact stud.
- a loco or wagon wheel losing contact with the rail
- lost wagons

Of course what you say is also important: 2 connected rails must be at the same level (altitude). This seems evident but with M rails it is not always the case.
Also canting the track poses another problem: most Marklin locos and wagons have no suspended wheel the result is a great sensitivity to "gauchissement" (when your reack start looking like a spiral. The result again is one of the wheels "taking off'.

Bonne chance

Jean
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#28 Posted : 06 October 2018 17:26:44(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thank you for the explanation Jean and it makes a lot of sense - I ended up using some ramps made by Woodland Scenics and they did take this into account.

My coupler problems were mostly solved by ordered replacement close couplers from Marklin. I did order some from Roco but haven't played with them yet. But replacing what I could replace with new close couplers has made a huge difference - well worth the money.

Thank you again for the help!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#29 Posted : 15 October 2018 16:37:28(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thought I would post a follow-up message about the coupler issues. First, a big thank you to those who recommended going all Marklin, because that's what I did. I replaced every coupler I could replace with new Marklin close couplers, and my issues with couplers are largely a thing of the past. If I have any issues, it's usually with a coupler on a locomotive that I cannot replace, however I could replace the coupler on the adjoining car with what the locomotive is using, which seems to be the telex coupler.

Regarding going all Roco couplers, I considered it but it was just too much money and I figured to play it safe with Marklin.

I do have to say, things are 500% better than before. Replacing all the couplers turned operating my layout into a pleasure - it's made a huge difference. NO derailments.

Thanks again to all who replied to my post - I learned a lot.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#30 Posted : 15 October 2018 17:51:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thought I would post a follow-up message about the coupler issues. First, a big thank you to those who recommended going all Marklin, because that's what I did. I replaced every coupler I could replace with new Marklin close couplers, and my issues with couplers are largely a thing of the past. If I have any issues, it's usually with a coupler on a locomotive that I cannot replace, however I could replace the coupler on the adjoining car with what the locomotive is using, which seems to be the telex coupler.

Regarding going all Roco couplers, I considered it but it was just too much money and I figured to play it safe with Marklin.

I do have to say, things are 500% better than before. Replacing all the couplers turned operating my layout into a pleasure - it's made a huge difference. NO derailments.

Thanks again to all who replied to my post - I learned a lot.

Cheers, John

Glad to hear this. Two notes I didn't see mentioned, or only briefly mentioned:

- train length: if you are running seriously long trains the issues are only amplified, and (really) long (really) heavy trains start pulling couplers out of their NEM sockets. Or just plain trains with a lot of drag. (older lighting kits + a pickup shoe on each car as an example)

- Adjustments. Marklin makes a coupler height adjustment tool for the earlier style couplers. (pre NEM socket). This will also be a big help for any older rolling stock...
SBB Era 2-5