Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trainiac  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2018 23:39:42(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Hello everyone,

I have found a new digital decoder, that because of its small size, might fit inside any z scale locomotive without any major modifications (even the class 89s and V60s!). I found it while browsing a webshop that sells 1:450 scale (or T-gauge) trains and accessories. Click here for more information about the decoder

I have never converted a locomotive to digital operation before, so I'm wondering if you could tell by reading the product description and technical specifications if this decoder would work if I install it in a märklin z locomotive. (it would be controlled by a mobile station 2, powered by a 230 volt / 12 VA switched mode power pack.)
Regards
Erik
———
Mainly German trains era II-III
Collection consists of Z scale, digital H0 scale, G scale and T Gauge trains (they are sorted by collection size so my main focus is on Z scale)
Take a look at my Instagram:maerklin_z
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Trainiac
Offline gwolski  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2018 21:24:25(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Assuming you have configured the MS2 to also use DCC - yes, in theory it would work.

You have to be careful - the decoder you are looking at has a max current draw of 250 mA. You'd need to ensure your Z loco fits that limit.

There are other decoders which support higher current draw, but they will be larger.

Helpful?

Gene
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline Trainiac  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2018 21:50:15(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: gwolski Go to Quoted Post
Assuming you have configured the MS2 to also use DCC - yes, in theory it would work.

You have to be careful - the decoder you are looking at has a max current draw of 250 mA. You'd need to ensure your Z loco fits that limit.

There are other decoders which support higher current draw, but they will be larger.

Helpful?

Gene

Thank you, yes that was indeed very helpful. But do you have any suggestions on how I can ensure that my locomotive fits the 250mA limit?
Regards
Erik
———
Collection consists of Z scale, digital H0 scale, G scale and T Gauge trains (they are sorted by collection size so my main focus is on Z scale)
Offline gwolski  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2018 22:25:21(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Great question! I don't know where but would hope there is a reference, whether official or not, somewhere around here.

On a quick search, I found this video showing the current draw of two locos together:

I'm sure we have some very knowledgeable members here who could chime in and help out!

Gene
Gene Wolski
Offline Trainiac  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2018 11:31:03(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
By looking at the video, I think I might have a solution.

If I hook up my MS2 to a test track, the analog locomotive would run at the voltage that is constantly in the track, meaning that the motor is drawing its maximum amount of current.

Then I would just need to get a milliampere meter similar to the one used in the video and hook it up to the track
Regards
Erik
———
Offline gwolski  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2018 21:29:55(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
I don't think your proposed setup will work. Remember that digital systems apply a high frequency digital waveform to provide power and transmit signals to the tracks (from the DCC wiki) - you cannot measure current or track voltage with DC meters. There are DCC specific meters/measuring equipment that would allow you to take measurements.

Gene
Gene Wolski
Offline gwolski  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2018 21:31:43(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Back to the key questions - does anyone know the current draw for the usual Z locos? is 250mA enough for a V60?

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
Offline Trainiac  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2018 23:17:17(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
You cannot measure current or track voltage with DC meters. There are DCC specific meters/measuring equipment that would allow you to take measurements.

is 250mA enough for a V60?

Couldn’t I just use a regular märklin z controller and a DC meter and check if or how fast the locomotive runs once the meter hits 250mA?
Regards
Erik
———
Offline zscalehobo  
#9 Posted : 10 October 2018 01:30:40(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Great question! I don't know where but would hope there is a reference, whether official or not, somewhere around here.

On a quick search, I found this video showing the current draw of two locos together:

I'm sure we have some very knowledgeable members here who could chime in and help out!

Gene

That's my video! :D

The railbus is only a lighted passenger car ... not motorized. So, this is a test of an 8811 with a 3-pole motor with a lighted railbus car ... it had been tripping Rokuhan controllers.

Back to the topic ... A V60 should be under 250mA, but I have none in stock to verify. The Marklin motors are all over the map as pertaining to current draw.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Trainiac  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2018 23:07:46(UTC)
Trainiac

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post

That's my video! :D

The Marklin motors are all over the map as pertaining to current draw.

Great video! I think it was very useful

Then it would probably be a good idea to test the current draw of each locomotive before installing this decoder
Regards
Erik
———