Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#51 Posted : 23 January 2017 22:49:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
I love the fact that it's the long version
Yes, it is the long version and in 1:87 length scale. Previous E 03/103 H0 gauge models from Märklin all were of reduced length.
And the Märklin coaches for this new long loco are too short by 21 mm or even 34 mm as they are "new longer length", but not full length.

@Minok:
Outsider models of the loco will follow in a few years - different road number, no moving train drivers, no moving pantographs. Outsiders can join the club, wait a few years, or buy a Piko model.
I have enough class 103 locos and won't buy another in the foreseeable future. Until I get tempted by a new livery variation. Piko's Railadventure loco was almost tempting - almost, but not quite.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mrmarklin  
#52 Posted : 23 January 2017 23:59:00(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Do folks purchase these insider locos to use on their layouts or for collecting/display?

The BR 103 is firmly in the middle of my layout era and memories and a key component to my train world. I debated long in my mind about whether to sign up to the insider program so that I could order one of these. At this point I've convinced myself its not worth the cost.

Yes, the pop-up loco engineer is cool, but in the end, what would I get from 39170 that I cannot get from the 37576 and is that worth the additional cost. The math just didn't make sense to have one loco with special whizbangs that the rest of the fleet doesn't have. Signed certificate - does one need that really? Seems like a cheap add on to make folks feel better about the price (since the part number itself is already enough to indicate its an insider exclusive.

Clearly, I'm not the target audience of these sorts of products, but I still wonder, do folks buy these and run them day to day?
Is there a reason I missed, one that should cause me to change my mind, sign up for the club and order the insider model?

I guess I am the target audience. I don't have any models that I wouldn't run, including the Insider models.

Generally the insider models use all the cutting edge technology and are generally worth having IMHO.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline pab  
#53 Posted : 24 January 2017 11:33:00(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
When I buy an insider loco I will run it on my lay-out.
My lay-out has only steam locomotives, mainly era 3.
So I do buy nearly all insider steam locomotives (unless it's a non european one).
Sometimes it hurts (like this 103 or a crocodile), but we all have to make choices. BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pab
Offline Torstein  
#54 Posted : 24 January 2017 15:54:42(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
I agree Piet, 95 % of my locomotives are steamers.

On John Allen's famous US layout Gore & Daphetid RR there hang a man under one of the bridges.

Mr. Allen explain: " It was a diesel locomotive salesman." BigGrin

Torstein
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline Minok  
#55 Posted : 24 January 2017 21:50:03(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Well, you've done it I guess. I've signed up as an insider (I guess I've got the infection), and will now see about getting that model.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Outsider models of the loco will follow in a few years - different road number, no moving train drivers, no moving pantographs. Outsiders can join the club, wait a few years, or buy a Piko model.

If the outsider model doesn't have moving pantograph and driver, then other than some additional sound functions and maybe the added lights in the engine room (if that), what would likely be different between that later coming outsider model and the older 37576 outsider model? The few mm of longer locomotive isn't a reason to buy the newer one.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#56 Posted : 25 January 2017 00:40:47(UTC)
H0

The few mm of longer locomotive isn't a reason to buy the newer one.
Full scale length, new drive gear.

The novelty it will add to your collection depends on the locos you already have. And the 37576 could be a reason not to buy the new loco in an Outsider variation that was not yet announced.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#57 Posted : 25 January 2017 02:30:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The few mm of longer locomotive isn't a reason to buy the newer one.
Full scale length, new drive gear.

The novelty it will add to your collection depends on the locos you already have. And the 37576 could be a reason not to buy the new loco in an Outsider variation that was not yet announced.

For me that extra 1/2 inch (13 mm) of length isn't significant enough by itself to pick it up.
Will see if it runs better/smoother.. but the engineer and movable pantographs.... well I guess at this point that will be worth $200 more to me (vs just buying another 37576).
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline RayF  
#58 Posted : 25 January 2017 09:59:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm not sure that everyone is aware that this Br103 is actually a model of the longer version of the prototype, not just a scale length model. It is not a model of the same type as the 37576.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#59 Posted : 25 January 2017 21:44:09(UTC)
H0

In H0 gauge, the long 103 is 8 mm longer than a short 103.
The new model has the correct length while the old model is 5 mm too short, so the total difference is 13 mm.

I have several 103s with the wrong length. I'll keep them, I have no intention to buy more 103s with the correct length.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#60 Posted : 28 January 2017 13:37:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
ESU E03/BR103.1 - 3 version models now confirm. (not the longer version).

>Download PDF< Page 16/17
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#61 Posted : 28 January 2017 22:00:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've ordered the Insider BR103, one of the few (perhaps the only) Insider models I have ordered (I have some Insider models purchased as an Outsider or purchased 2nd hand).

For comparison purposes, here are the features of the ESU BR103' that Stephen refers to. I like the look of the red with white bib version, although I would prefer a traffic red rather than orient red version.

• Construction and chassis made of metal
• Multi-section bogie panels with real springs and numerous attached details
• Separately used braking system with brake shoes in wheel level
• Separately attached handle bars
• Coupling in standardized shaft
• Powerful five-pole ESU engine with two balanced flywheels
• Drive via cardan / worm drive on four axes, four traction tyres
• LokSound V4.0 M4 decoder for DCC, Motorola®, M4 and Selectrix operation
• Self-service log-in to central units with RailComPlus® or mfx® functionality
• PowerPack memory capacitor for uninterrupted power supply
• Two high-quality speakers for the best sound experience
• Universal electronics with plug-in slider for switching between two-rail and three-rail operation
• Two digitally individually raised and lowered roof pantographs
• Digitized original sound of a 103.1
• Sensor-controlled noise during cornering and braking shortly before standstill
• Driving direction-dependent light change, white / red, peak-side peak signal can be switched off, Shunting, driver's cab, guide console and engine room lighting
• Braking sparks during sharp braking
• Accessible minimum radius = 360 mm
• Length over buffer = 224.1 mm
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 28 January 2017 22:37:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
although I would prefer a traffic red rather than orient red version.
An authentic traffic red model needs the Roco logo - I do not think we will see that from Märklin or ESU.
Roco sponsored the one and only class 103 loco that ever had the traffic red livery.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#63 Posted : 02 February 2017 02:02:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For those in the US, AJCKIDS just emailed me and indicated they adjusted the price for the loco (I'd asked if they could be a bit more competitive with the pricing).

http://www.ajckids.com/t...r=Marklin&item=39170

The difference between them and LokShop, for the insider loco, is now negligible ($7 or so).

Any reason I would not buy from the US dealer now?
IE do the US side shops get short-changed by Märklin or its distribution path?
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline applor  
#64 Posted : 02 February 2017 02:23:54(UTC)
applor

Australia   

Any reason I would not buy from the US dealer now?

Not at all, much preferable to buy from your local dealer - especially when they have graciously lowered their pricing to be that competitive.

If only we had that in Australia, I'd actually buy locally!
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Minok  
#65 Posted : 02 February 2017 06:31:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I absolutely agree. Just seeing if there is some weird US gets last pickings / months later silliness in play.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#66 Posted : 23 February 2017 15:36:47(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether this loco would handle R2 or even a few sections of R1 here and there? I very much doubt that the rail cars would handle R1 well, but the loco does have the two separate sets of drive wheels. I am wondering it it will take the smaller radius curves at slow speeds as long as there are no obstructions at the sides of the track. I am building a bit of a small layout for people (primarily kids) taking piano lessons from my wife here at the house, and the effects and lighting with this loco are very nice - and it's a real eye-catcher.

Thanks much for any replies, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline H0  
#67 Posted : 23 February 2017 16:28:45(UTC)
H0

John,

I assume the loco can even handle the "industrial radius".
That is the default if Märklin does not indicate any radius restrictions in the product description.
Some Märklin H0 items cannot negotiate the "industrial radius", but AFAIK all can take R1 (360 mm).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#68 Posted : 23 February 2017 17:12:25(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
John,

That is the default if Märklin does not indicate any radius restrictions in the product description.
Some Märklin H0 items cannot negotiate the "industrial radius", but AFAIK all can take R1 (360 mm).

Thanks for the reply, Tom – I will probably go ahead and order it. From eBay, I did purchase the model 3709 class 85 2-10-2 tank locomotive, and belatedly I saw the documentation stating that it wants R3 or greater radius (I'm using M track) - it didn't arrive yet and I'm hoping it will accommodate some of the curves in my small layout. Thus, my question about the 39170.

Thanks again, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline H0  
#69 Posted : 23 February 2017 18:10:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
From eBay, I did purchase the model 3709 class 85 2-10-2 tank locomotive, and belatedly I saw the documentation stating that it wants R3 or greater radius (I'm using M track)
That loco handles the industrial radius just fine.
500 mm applies to a loco with installed piston protection rods (PPR). You don't have to install them.
And it may well be that the locos runs fine on much smaller radii than 500 mm.
Pacifics with PPR require a much larger radius than such an old "decapod" with articulated frame (the BR 85 is a BR 50 with a trailing axle and behaves like a decapod).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#70 Posted : 23 February 2017 22:11:16(UTC)
petestra

United States   
John,

Thanks for the reply, Tom – I will probably go ahead and order it. From eBay, I did purchase the model 3709 class 85 2-10-2 tank locomotive, and belatedly I saw the documentation stating that it wants R3 or greater radius (I'm using M track) - it didn't arrive yet and I'm hoping it will accommodate some of the curves in my small layout. Thus, my question about the 39170.

Thanks again, John

Hi John. My digitalized BR85 3309 2-10-2 runs fine on my R1 24130 C tracks and my 5100 M tracks. No probs. Peter.Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Minok  
#71 Posted : 23 February 2017 22:17:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether this loco would handle R2 or even a few sections of R1 here and there? I very much doubt that the rail cars would handle R1 well, but the loco does have the two separate sets of drive wheels. I am wondering it it will take the smaller radius curves at slow speeds as long as there are no obstructions at the sides of the track. I am building a bit of a small layout for people (primarily kids) taking piano lessons from my wife here at the house, and the effects and lighting with this loco are very nice - and it's a real eye-catcher.

Unless the product description tells you otherwise, I would expect all Märklin locos to make any R1, R2, etc curves. If a model has limitations, then they tell you (eg some will say can drive 360mm radius R1, meaning it wont do R0).

My layout will have lots of R1 and R2... so if the trains don't work on R1 and R2 their market is severely limited.

Even the over 2 foot long (yes thats right) 48295 can do R1 curves.

Here's an video a Trix version making its way around corners - needless to say you need to make sure the placement of masts and scenery on the inside corners are strongly adjusted for such a long car. So your loco should have no issues.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#72 Posted : 23 February 2017 22:48:35(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Wow!! That video is amazing. You are all correct, the 3309 did navigate R1 curves just fine and it would be a bad business decision of Marklin to restrict some locomotives to only wider radius track - I should have realized that. Alas, the 3309 was not in good shape and shouldn't have been advertised on eBay as in excellent condition or advertised at all - this is the 2nd time this has happened to me. However, now that I'm returning it, I can justify buying the 39170 BigGrin .

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Minok  
#73 Posted : 23 February 2017 23:15:01(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Wow!! That video is amazing. You are all correct, the 3309 did navigate R1 curves just fine and it would be a bad business decision of Marklin to restrict some locomotives to only wider radius track - I should have realized that. Alas, the 3309 was not in good shape and shouldn't have been advertised on eBay as in excellent condition or advertised at all - this is the 2nd time this has happened to me. However, now that I'm returning it, I can justify buying the 39170 BigGrin .

Cheers, John

John,

There are some larger steam locomotives that cannot take R1 curves, typically because of the # of wheels in succession/proximity on the originals such that the geometry of the wheel spacing and rotation just won't work, but those are very few cases. Heck even the 39054 comes with cutouts to allow for using R1 curves that can be filled in if with panels if you don't need the ability to turn that tight (or at all). Even the 37991 indicates it can run on R1 thought they recommend you use larger radius.

---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline GlennM  
#74 Posted : 24 February 2017 01:34:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

Unless the product description tells you otherwise, I would expect all Märklin locos to make any R1, R2, etc curves. If a model has limitations, then they tell you (eg some will say can drive 360mm radius R1, meaning it wont do R0).

My layout will have lots of R1 and R2... so if the trains don't work on R1 and R2 their market is severely limited.

Even the over 2 foot long (yes thats right) 48295 can do R1 curves.

Here's an video a Trix version making its way around corners - needless to say you need to make sure the placement of masts and scenery on the inside corners are strongly adjusted for such a long car. So your loco should have no issues.

Here is mine of some R4, it will work on R1 but the overhang is unrealistic

Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline svgeorgiad  
#75 Posted : 14 June 2017 23:26:28(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Here are some videos from the new comer!!! My beloved locomotive is a beauty in the eyes!

Symeon Georgiadis
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by svgeorgiad
Offline franciscohg  
#76 Posted : 14 June 2017 23:59:16(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Oh, you lucky trixerLOL
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Minok  
#77 Posted : 15 June 2017 01:13:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Er... now I really gotta find out what is in my package locker at the house when I get home.....
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline steventrain  
#78 Posted : 15 June 2017 14:29:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Nice video.

Marklin version 391070 delivery date back to July.=(
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#79 Posted : 15 June 2017 21:23:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: svgeorgiad Go to Quoted Post
Here are some videos from the new comer!!! My beloved locomotive is a beauty in the eyes!

Cab window do not gap properly but I think Marklin version delayed until July to fix correct gap properly window.
Offline Minok  
#80 Posted : 15 June 2017 22:14:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Cab window do not gap properly but I think Marklin version delayed until July to fix correct gap properly window.

Parsing what you said as best I can, are you writing about how the front main window doesn't align/fill the body window cutout fully, particularly on the sides and corners of the front windscreen? If so, they'd need to get new front windscreens that match the cutouts they produced.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Goofy  
#81 Posted : 16 June 2017 17:16:12(UTC)
Goofy

Trix BR 103 is already in the stock in Sweden.
But are now sold out.
Märklin is not arrived yet.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline steventrain  
#82 Posted : 17 June 2017 11:58:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
39170 delivery is starting from Marklin.Cool
Offline steventrain  
#83 Posted : 23 June 2017 20:46:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have email from Lokshop that my order have delivery from Marklin but missed shipping included 40850 etc left Lokshop.
Offline steventrain  
#84 Posted : 30 June 2017 17:12:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Finally arrive.Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Goofy  
#85 Posted : 01 July 2017 09:53:34(UTC)
Goofy

The pantographs looks strange when it´s down. Huh
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline steventrain  
#86 Posted : 01 July 2017 10:48:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The pantographs looks strange when it´s down. Huh

I only photo before use function to full down pantographs after place on track for first time.

Also manual PDF available from Marklin site and information on Pantographs, There is also red card note enclosed.

I run it on layout and all functions include cab up and down working excellent.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline dickinsonj  
#87 Posted : 02 July 2017 01:52:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I run it on layout and all functions include cab up and down working excellent.

Thank you so much for the beautiful images - it makes waiting for mine just a little easier now that I finally get to see that it is as beautiful as I had hoped. Cool

It will take a while still for mine to find its way to me here in the depths of Ohio but it will be a real treat for me when it does arrive! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline steventrain  
#88 Posted : 30 July 2017 10:50:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
If you still have not the BR103.1, Marklin will shipping soon with correct full cab window but I am not sure 100% certain!

You may contact Marklin customer service to send correct windows for first batch models if your order with club profile record.

If you buying BR103.1 off ebay etc outside insider club will not get replacement window.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Minok  
#89 Posted : 30 July 2017 19:51:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Would love to see a close up of the cab with the bad window and the good window in it to show what to look for. The eBay resellers will need to make sure they fix the windows first I guess.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Collector  
#90 Posted : 03 August 2017 23:50:09(UTC)
Collector

If you still have not the BR103.1, Marklin will shipping soon with correct full cab window but I am not sure 100% certain!

You may contact Marklin customer service to send correct windows for first batch models if your order with club profile record.

If you buying BR103.1 off ebay etc outside insider club will not get replacement window.

Hi Steven,

I would very much like to see a picture so I know what to look for.

My dealer informed me today that my BR103 had arrived. But I have no idea what to look for....

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Michael
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline dickinsonj  
#91 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:13:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post

Michael

You can see the gap between the windshield insert and the body in the image in Steven's post #86 and see it very well on the Trix loco video which is linked from post #79. Also take a look at the stills for the videos Symeon provided in post #75 of the same Trix loco - it is not at all hard to see.

I hope mine does not have that, since it is still weeks (months?) away in North America. If mine looks like that it will need a new windshield insert, for after all this is supposed to be a special model, not a cheap knockoff.

Märklin seems determined to disappoint me these days - I just got Insider #2 back from Märklin last month after having it die last December, in the first two weeks on my tracks. They really need to work harder on QC for all of their models but especially on their Insider Club editions if they want to be taken seriously.

IMO they are very close and they just need to nail down their quality variances. That is even more important now that we mostly all buy online and returns are an expensive pain.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Minok  
#92 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:39:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Are we talking about the gaps indicated by the green arrows on the photo of the insider loco from post #86, vs what the prototype looks like (other photo)?

BR103-insider.PNGBR103-prototype.PNG
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline TEEWolf  
#93 Posted : 04 August 2017 03:03:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Steven,

My dealer informed me today that my BR103 had arrived. But I have no idea what to look for....

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

understand your wish to get a picture for comparison. But it requires to get other BR 103 models. I bought two other BR 103 models this year. The first one is a BR 103 from the LH Airport Express (art# 26680) and the second is the BR 103 toy-fair model from Maerklin 2014 (art# 31014-01). This one is not listed in the Maerklin database.

I just made a few quick pictures of them. Please see here:

These BR 103 models here are probably produced in 2014 and 2017 from Maerklin.

On the first picture you see a third model (in the middle of the new ones). It is my E 03 002 which I bought in 1966. So it was built for over 50 years! But as you see at all pictures the front window is fitting much better in the locomotive chassis and aligns with its frame much better as you see e.g. at the video picture of post # 79, # 92 or described in post # 91.

Nevertheless I do also have quality problems with Maerklin. On picture # 4 from above you see the frame of the front window of the Lufthansa 103 is completely painted in a silver colour. By the toy-fair model 103 only the left side of the frame is painted in silver. The other side has no colour cover. You can follow this up on the following pictures. Whereas at picture # 7 you see the other side (no 2) of the loco and there the complete window frame painted in silver colour. It is ridiculous and a poor quality, but it is as it is.

I hope we all could help you.

regards

Wolfgang

P.S.: @Steventrain - I am correct with this windows gap? Or do you mean something else?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#94 Posted : 04 August 2017 11:47:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
These pictures all show the old, shortened model of the short BR 103. The windshield insert has the wipers moulded in (they were painted black with some recent models).

With the new scale model of the long BR 103, they have separately applied wipers. So they needed new windshield inserts - and maybe got the dimensions wrong.

It would be interesting to see pictures of the long BR 103 with the old windshield inserts and compare them with pictures of a long BR 103 with the new inserts.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Collector  
#95 Posted : 04 August 2017 19:18:12(UTC)
Collector

Wolfgang,

Thank for the pictures, but obviously we need some pictures of the 39170 from before and after the fix.

Kind Regards,

Michael
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline steventrain  
#96 Posted : 04 August 2017 20:11:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I email marklin customer service on the 3rd July and got reply from Frank Mayer the next day said the correct fully cab window is on way.

Still not arrive yet, i email Marklin three time but no reply.ThumbDown

I post letter to Marklin CEO about problem with Marklin Customer service/Insider email, I send 12 emails but only one reply. Not goodCursing
Offline Minok  
#97 Posted : 04 August 2017 20:32:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Wolfgang,

Thank for the pictures, but obviously we need some pictures of the 39170 from before and after the fix.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Indeed we do, because despite my efforts at trying to get a clear answer, I'm still not sure what exactly the issue is that is causing the problem.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline TEEWolf  
#98 Posted : 04 August 2017 21:00:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Wolfgang,

Kind Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael,

sorry when I misunderstood your concerns.

Anyway, now you got a few pictures showing that Maerklin can do his job pretty good, if they would.

Also the pictures showing what to look for: a perfect alignment of a front shield window to its chassis and frame painting.Blink

kind regards

Wolfgang

Offline TEEWolf  
#99 Posted : 04 August 2017 21:44:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

These pictures all show the old, shortened model of the short BR 103. The windshield insert has the wipers moulded in (they were painted black with some recent models).

With the new scale model of the long BR 103, they have separately applied wipers. So they needed new windshield inserts - and maybe got the dimensions wrong.

It would be interesting to see pictures of the long BR 103 with the old windshield inserts and compare them with pictures of a long BR 103 with the new inserts.

Do not understand, why the lenght of a cabin and/or other wipers are influencing the alignment fitting of a front and/or side window?

Maerklin had these front windows problems already 50 years ago with its E 03. It is the model in the middle of my first picture with the 3 E 03 / 103. Exactly this loco lost its front shield window and of course I did not make a picture of this "whole in the chassis". I read in the internet, this was already a quality problem for Maerklin at these days.

If you may have a look into Maerklin's database on their pictures of the 39170 there, it shows a good fitting of the front window and a bad fitting of the left side window. To me it looks like, that Maerklin has a severe problem in assembling its quite expensive models and as well with its customers. @Steventrains research revealed this obviously.
Offline Minok  
#100 Posted : 04 August 2017 22:17:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   

If you may have a look into Maerklin's database on their pictures of the 39170 there, it shows a good fitting of the front window and a bad fitting of the left side window.

This window is bad fitting? If so what is bad about it? (understanding these are pre-mass production product photos)
Capture2.PNG

Or is it the right side window? Again, what is bad about it?

Capture.PNG

If its the clear plastic part (the rim of which gets painted silver I think).. then the mold that makes it (or the formulation/production process itself) may have a glitch if the part is not coming out of production the shape it is supposed to have.
---
My YouTube Channel: