Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Quinton  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2013 03:21:33(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I just purchased a Central Station. I'm really green on the functions of the Central Station, and DCC in general. The only Marklin item I have is the CS. All of my turnouts are run by DCC Concepts Cobalt Digital motors. I can not figure out how to get the CS to reconize them, so they operate through the CS. Has anyone done this setup before?
Offline charles Sharpe  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2013 05:33:36(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Quinton.

I am not able to help on this but Welcome to the forum.We have a very helpful bunch of people on this site and I am sure you we get some very soon.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2013 08:22:09(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Quinton Go to Quoted Post
I can not figure out how to get the CS to reconize them, so they operate through the CS.
Welcome to the forum. I don't have those turnout motors.

But: the CS does not recognize any turnout decoders - you have to register them manually. And also set the correct protocol: DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2013 12:52:00(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
You have to rember that I'm green on how to use the CS. When you say register them manually that means nothing to me. How do you do that? Thanks for your help.
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2013 13:55:48(UTC)
Goofy

Marklin weppage has information about how to use CS2.
Remember here that yours CS must at least second generation which there is DCC protocool too.
You have manual for CS2...?
If not then in case go to Marklins homepage and search after downloads.
You find a lot of info.
Good luck!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Quinton  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2013 14:38:12(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I have the 60215. I have read the manual. I went to the Keyboard page. I have put a DCC left hand turnout on the the first page, first number, and named it S1 as the manual says on page 56 step 5. Clicked the green check mark. At this point I assume I have only made the picture for the turnout, and not assigned the digital motor to the picture since nothing happens when I click the switch. What I need to know is how do you register the digital motor into the CS2? I have my digital motor wired into the track bus, and the switch on the digital motor is on "set" not "run" per their directions. Thanks again for any help. This is becoming very frustrating. I have wore out Marklin's help people just getting my locos to work. Hopefully there is help out there.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2013 16:54:27(UTC)
Goofy

Hmmm...i suppose you have motor(such like tortoise) as turnout and not switch motor(magnet)???
Then in case...you must program yours turnout motor first by write 35 which equal as it takes time move turnout motor in position.
35 stand for 3,5 seconds which i have for my tortoise motor.
Go to the keyboard and open number 35 as identification as turnout.
When you start program yours DCC turnout motor push on the number 35 and program get understand.
Finish program by push on the button of turnout motor if there is button...!?
I use Lenz turnout decoder LS150 and my program sequens are done like this.
Just follow after yours manual of DCC turnout motor.
By the way...you have not said yet what kind of manefacture you are using turnout motor.
H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2013 17:36:38(UTC)
H0

The Cobalt web site reads "is compatible with almost every DC output DCC accessory decoder ever made."
Which DCC accessory decoder do you use? How do you set the address of the decoder?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#9 Posted : 09 May 2013 18:03:27(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
My switch motor is Cobalt Digital made by DCC Concepts.

From what I understand is the accessory decoder is built into the motor. Reading the Cobalt Digital manual it sounds like the motor is expecting the controll unit to send a signal to it. Does the CS2 send out a signal , or is that the problem the motor and the CS2 are waiting for the other to talk?

thanks
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2013 18:14:25(UTC)
H0

It's much like radio or station announcements: the CS speaks and all others have to hear (with respect to DCC and MM, both mfx and RailCom include feedback from decoder to controller).

So when you click the turnout in the CS2 it will shout "turnout 1 go round" or "turnout 1 go straight". The CS does not care if no-one's listening.
So does the Cobalt decoder know it's meant to be turnout 1?

I've heard there are different methods of defining DCC accessory addresses. This could also be a problem.

Did you try to program the decoder with the SET position of the switch? This way there should be no address mismatch.
Try with turnout 17 if turnout 1 does not work.
And make sure the CS is set to DCC for that turnout.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 09 May 2013 19:02:23(UTC)
Goofy

My switch motor is Cobalt Digital made by DCC Concepts.

From what I understand is the accessory decoder is built into the motor. Reading the Cobalt Digital manual it sounds like the motor is expecting the controll unit to send a signal to it. Does the CS2 send out a signal , or is that the problem the motor and the CS2 are waiting for the other to talk?

thanks

Do you have picture of it...?
And what´s name of it?
What is "Cobalt"?

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
H0
Offline Quinton  
#12 Posted : 09 May 2013 20:07:23(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I do have the program switch on set. I tried turnout 17 and still nothing. Maybe there is something that everyone thinks is understood, but since I'm a novice at this I don't know it. I have the O wire going into the DCC track hole (1) of the motor. I have the B wire going into the power hole (2) of the motor. The switch on the motor is on set. On the keyboard screen I click the wrench. The screen turns blue. I click on turnout 1. I select DCC. I select left turnout for the type. I leave the name at 1. I leave the switching duration at 250. I then click the green check. I then click the green arrow. It then asks me if I want to stop the operation of the locos. I click the green check. It then tells me I can program the solenoid after waiting a second. I click the green check. It then brings me back to the keyboard screen. I switch the motor back to run. These are the steps that I'm doing. I tried the motor manually and it works.

Thanks for the help.
Offline Quinton  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2013 20:12:53(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
“DCC Concepts” is a manufacturer of switch motors out of Australia. There Their motor is called “Cobalt”. There Their “Digital Cobalt” is there their motor with the accessory decoder incorporated into the motor.

oops

Edited by user 15 May 2013 12:07:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 09 May 2013 20:20:20(UTC)
H0

Open the keyboard screen, but don't click the wrench. Set the Cobalt to SET and and then toggle the turnout on the CS2 a few times, then go back to the RUN position. No toggle the turnout in the CS2 again - and I'd expect the Cobalt to work now.

Did you test the motor with the (optional) push button?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#15 Posted : 09 May 2013 20:44:25(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
That didn't work.

Yes I used a push button, but I disconnected the motor from the CS2 and hooked the motor up to a 12v dc source.

Thanks
Offline Webmaster  
#16 Posted : 09 May 2013 21:15:31(UTC)
Webmaster

Sorry to ask this stupid question, but is the DCC enabled on the CS2 via the menu options?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Quinton  
#17 Posted : 09 May 2013 21:24:07(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
On the configuration screen I did set the decoder type to DCC
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 09 May 2013 22:54:40(UTC)
H0

There is another screen where you configure the active protocols. IIRC all protocols are on by default.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#19 Posted : 09 May 2013 22:57:15(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I'm sorry I don't have any idea what this means "There is another screen where you configure the active protocols. IIRC all protocols are on by default."
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:34:47(UTC)
H0

Click on Setup, click on the wrench, flip through the pages until you find the page that allows you to configure the active track protocols.

Default is "auto" for all protocols.
http://www.mist-owl.de/stummi/Protokoll.png

The label is "Gleisformat für Loks", so this setting should apply to locos only (and not accessories).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Quinton  
#21 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:45:49(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
If it is for locos only should I be doing something?
Offline GSRR  
#22 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:47:54(UTC)
GSRR

United States   

http://www.dccconcepts.c...AD1_AD4_instructions.pdf

Setting the address / programming method (DCC only - Not required for DC use)
AD1 and AD4 do not need ANY form of CV setting or complex programming at all in order to set their address and all set-up and operation is done while they are connected to the track, track bus or accessory bus.

Putting your AD1 or AD4 accessory
decoders in & out of “Learn” mode
Your AD1 or AD4 decoder will need to be connected to DCC track power before you can teach it a new address. Please refer to the photograph to the right.
You will see a small silver slide switch with a white “flag” close to the screw terminal strip on the lower right hand side. This switch is used to enable “learning” mode on each AD1 and on each individual decoder of an AD4.
To put the decoder in “learn” mode use the tip of a pen or similar item to slide the switch towards the terminal strip

Setting the address with ESU systems:
 Refer to ECOS manual—page 22 for 50200 colour ECOS or page 11 of the ESU navigator manual.
 Enter the turnout in the ESU database as required
 Place the AD1 or AD4 into learn mode
 Operate the required turnout number
 Move the AD1 / AD4 switch to the “Run” position and the decoder will now remember its address.

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GSRR
Offline GSRR  
#23 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:52:08(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Quinton.

The ESU ECoS is somewhat similar to the CS 2. Have you followed any steps similar to the instructions posted above?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Quinton  
#24 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:52:47(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I do not have AD1 or AD4.

I have Cobalt digital.
Offline Quinton  
#25 Posted : 09 May 2013 23:55:24(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
As per my 2:00 pm post this is exactly what I'm doing.

"I have the O wire going into the DCC track hole (1) of the motor. I have the B wire going into the power hole (2) of the motor. The switch on the motor is on set. On the keyboard screen I click the wrench. The screen turns blue. I click on turnout 1. I select DCC. I select left turnout for the type. I leave the name at 1. I leave the switching duration at 250. I then click the green check. I then click the green arrow. It then asks me if I want to stop the operation of the locos. I click the green check. It then tells me I can program the solenoid after waiting a second. I click the green check. It then brings me back to the keyboard screen. I switch the motor back to run."
Offline Quinton  
#26 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:10:37(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I found that setting under the track page. It was was on DCC. I changed it to auto, but that didn't solve the problem.
Offline GSRR  
#27 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:15:25(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
I do not have AD1 or AD4.

I have Cobalt digital.

Incorrect item referenced.

Edited by user 11 May 2013 09:54:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Quinton  
#28 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:25:56(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I have the Cobalt Digital.
Offline GSRR  
#29 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:51:10(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Removed outdated link

Edited by user 11 May 2013 09:53:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GSRR  
#30 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:54:02(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
http://www.gaugemaster.c...obalt_digital_manual.pdf

(1) Install and wire your Cobalt Digital ready to use. If you prefer to set the address before installation just connect terminals 1 and 2 to your DCC track or Power bus.
(2) Using the tip of a pen or similar, carefully move the PCB mounted switch (as above) over to the SET position.
(3) Follow your controllers standard method for operating an accessory decoder, using the address you wish Cobalt digital to remember. (some examples shown below)
(4) Using the tip of a pen or similar, move the PCB mounted switch carefully all the way back to the RUN position.
Your Cobalt digital will now remember the number you used in step 3 as its address and respond each time you use it

ESU ECOS (disable railcom to ensure communication)
Put Cobalt digital into learning mode with the switch.
Enter a new accessory as per ECOS 50200 manual page 23/24. (starting at part 13). When entering it use the number you want it to respond to (treat the setup procedure it as if it was already addressed)
Leave timing at the default of 0.25 seconds and set it up as momentary operation.
Once it is set up in ECOS refer to page 24 part 13 and act as if operating your Cobalt digital.
Return the Cobalt digital switch to the “run” position.

Edited by user 11 May 2013 09:57:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Quinton  
#31 Posted : 10 May 2013 00:56:04(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
What is railcom, and how do you disable it?
Offline GSRR  
#32 Posted : 10 May 2013 01:21:10(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
What is railcom, and how do you disable it?

Disregard the Railcom bit.

It isn't necessary for the CS2, the CS2 does not support Railcom. As Thomas says, disregard that bit if you have a CS2. /BDNZ
Offline GSRR  
#33 Posted : 10 May 2013 01:40:19(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Looking at the CS2 English manual, page 38. Confirm you are using the O and B from the Track connection, not from the Programming Track?

Have you tried a second point motor with a direct feed to the motor, instead of via the layout track?

So from the CS2 Track connection direct to Terminal 1 DCC Track, and Terminal 2 Power?
Offline GSRR  
#34 Posted : 10 May 2013 01:49:56(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Well hopefully this is not the problem.

As this is a Marklin site we typically deal with HO and when running digital a track voltage of @ 19 volts.

You say you run DCC. What gauge and what voltage 14 - 15 volts?

What is the permissible voltage range of the Cobalt digital?

The CS2 is at 19 volts.

Offline GSRR  
#35 Posted : 10 May 2013 02:04:50(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Quinton.

It would appear the the Cobalt is not compatible with the CS2. Hopefully you only tried one motor.

Operates at 6-12vDC (9vDC optimal) and draws only 30mA

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#36 Posted : 10 May 2013 02:22:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
It would appear the the Cobalt is not compatible with the CS2. Hopefully you only tried one motor.

If the Cobalt is compatible with an ESU Ecos, then I would expect a Marklin CS2 should also work. After all, the Ecos can be adjusted to put 19v on the track.

Quinton, I assume that the track output from the CS2 is wired to pins 1 and 2 of the Cobalt?
Offline Quinton  
#37 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:09:52(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I have the motor connected to the track bus line that is connected to the B and O output of the CS2. I have the O wire going into the DCC track hole (1) of the motor. I have the B wire going into the power hole (2) of the motor. The voltage is being regulated by a resistor on the B wire per Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#38 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:16:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The voltage is being regulated by a resistor on the B wire per Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts.

Is the purpose of that resistor to step the voltage down to 12v?

Is it totally necessary? The Cobalt manual mentions nothing about needing to use it. I'd try the Cobalt without the resistor.
Offline GSRR  
#39 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:23:46(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
What value resistor did you connect to the B wire? Your DCC track signal comes via the B wire.

Do you have a second point motor you can try?

Confirm this is a two rail DC layout? If so maybe there is a ground issue?

When programming these accessory decoders, there should not be any other decoders "visible" to the CS 2. Make sure that other power users like locomotives are not on the track.
Offline Chook  
#40 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:25:27(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The voltage is being regulated by a resistor on the B wire per Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts.

Is the purpose of that resistor to step the voltage down to 12v?

Probably not.
To reduce the voltage using a resistor you require a constant load.
From reading the specs the "cobalt" unit has 2 loads - one in standby (2.5mA) and one in run (20mA). So a single resistor would only be able to accommodate one of those loads.

Regards......Chook.
Offline GSRR  
#41 Posted : 10 May 2013 03:33:18(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Dave,

Both DCC Concepts Cobalt and Circuitron Tortoise state on their websites that the upper limit is 12vDC.

http://www.circuitron.co...iles/ins/800-6000ins.pdf
Offline H0  
#42 Posted : 10 May 2013 08:20:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Both DCC Concepts Cobalt and Circuitron Tortoise state on their websites that the upper limit is 12vDC.
The Cobalt manual indicates that 12 V regulated can be used instead of DCC track power. NMRA allows +/- 22 V for DCC track power.

IMHO there should be no problem with the output voltage from a CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline efel  
#43 Posted : 10 May 2013 10:02:24(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

I would, personnaly, reduce the DCC feeding of the motors, by including two zener diodes in series (and opposite direction).
5.1V (1W) zeners should work.

Fred
Offline Goofy  
#44 Posted : 10 May 2013 10:35:53(UTC)
Goofy

Hi!

I have just read about yours Cobalt digital motor.
1.It´s an slow motion motor that are depends of permanent power.
2.You must use 2 diodes to create half wave voltage(if you don´t use rectifiers to feed analog power 12VDC to the slow motion motor).While two wires is for DCC and that is from the CS2.
3.If you use AC power(15-16 VAC) to the switch slow motion motor...then in case use 2 diodes for half wave voltage!
4.I send here pictures of mine turnouts decoder name Lenz LS150 which you can see there is two way of power feeder(DCC for control of turnouts and signals...16VAC to feed power to the turnout decoder).

Yours Cobalt switch motor fits only for permanent switch over and to use with DCC you must set between 30-35 in value which equals 3-3,5 seconds to make sure yours switch motor turns over.
Goofy attached the following image(s):
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
H0
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 10 May 2013 10:49:45(UTC)
Goofy

I forgot to write one more...
The reason why i use half wave voltage depends that LS150 feeds out 16VAC analog power so that´s way i use 2 diodes to create half wave voltage for my tortoise motor!
H0
Offline Quinton  
#46 Posted : 10 May 2013 11:29:52(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
Anders thanks for the information. I'm a novice at this, and don't understand. Are you saying that the motor needs to be wired to the CS2 to flip the switch, and wired to a seperate power source to make the motor run?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#47 Posted : 10 May 2013 11:32:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are you saying that the motor needs to be wired to the CS2 to flip the switch, and wired to a seperate power source to make the motor run?

That's how I read what Anders is saying. However, the Cobalt manual does not make any reference to an external power supply being needed. In it's basic form, the 2 wires from the track feed should be all that is required.
Offline Quinton  
#48 Posted : 10 May 2013 14:55:43(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
If I were to scrap the motors I have now , and start over with plain motors what would I need to make the CS2 work the motors?
Offline Goofy  
#49 Posted : 10 May 2013 14:58:34(UTC)
Goofy

David has right!
DCC is power feeder too for the switch motor.
But it also stands to use momentary switch which is not suitable for yours Cobalt turnout motor because it´s an slow motion switch motor.
Slow motion motor can only use with permanent switch because it needs power so long it needs to move turnout tounge.
When you use H0 scale it fits good with 3-3,5 seconds which means 30-35 in value to program yours decoder inbuilt togehter with turnout motor.
It don´t stand in the manual of turnout motor about to program value of results.
When you set make sure to write 35 in the keyboard first before you open set to program.
Make sure first to choise an adress of turnout before you keep on to program of value like 35.
Like this...
1.Open set(turnout motor decoder) to program turnout motor with an adress...like number 7 if you like.
2.Next step is to write value 35 in adress 7.
3.Switch off set to run(turnout motor decoder) to finish program.
Now check after if it works by push number 7 in the keyboard.
H0
Offline Quinton  
#50 Posted : 10 May 2013 15:07:40(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I'm a novice at this. I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean by write 35? In the CS2 in the name input write 35?