Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#101 Posted : 12 May 2013 17:40:15(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Quinton Go to Quoted Post
I ordered the LS150 over the internet, so not sure when I will have it. I will wire it up right out of the box with no adjustments, and pray for smooth sailing.

No train shops in sunny Florida...???
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Quinton  
#102 Posted : 12 May 2013 17:44:50(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
The closest two only deal with Digitrax. So no not really I guess not enough demand.
Offline H0  
#103 Posted : 12 May 2013 20:04:47(UTC)
H0

I ordered the LS150 over the internet
Did you also order Standard Cobalts or other turnout motors to go with it?
I do not see how one would connect an LS150 decoder to the Cobalt Digital with its built-in decoder that (as far as I understand) cannot be removed or bypassed.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#104 Posted : 12 May 2013 20:55:33(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
No I didn't. I'm hoping that they will, but if they don't I will have to save my money and purchase them.
Offline Goofy  
#105 Posted : 12 May 2013 21:29:29(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

I do not see how one would connect an LS150 decoder to the Cobalt Digital with its built-in decoder that (as far as I understand) cannot be removed or bypassed.

You can feed analog power to Cobalt digital decoder by use 12VDC...but also with 15VAC with 2 diodes by create half wave voltage to 12VDC motor.

H0
Offline H0  
#106 Posted : 12 May 2013 22:17:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
You can feed analog power to Cobalt digital decoder by use 12VDC...but also with 15VAC with 2 diodes by create half wave voltage to 12VDC motor.
Yes - and I presume it does nothing if you only feed voltage into pins 1 and 2.
If you also close the push button connections, it might change its position each time you apply power to pins 1 and 2.

Advantage: you can control 12 Cobalt Digital with a single LS150.
Disadvantage: you cannot set a turnout to straight or round, you just can toggle its position (so you cannot use turnouts in routes).

But maybe I missed an important detail ...

BTW: 15 V AC has a peak voltage of 15 * 1.41 = 21 V. Even with the diodes this may be too much for the Cobalt digital if it uses a buffer capacitor inside (and since it was made for DCC, I presume there is such a capacitor).
The diodes reduce the effective voltage and light bulbs or purely analogue motors could be used, but they do not change the peak voltage and digital devices with a rectifier and buffer capacitor might get damaged by the peak voltage.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#107 Posted : 12 May 2013 23:13:33(UTC)
Goofy

Yes - and I presume it does nothing if you only feed voltage into pins 1 and 2.
If you also close the push button connections, it might change its position each time you apply power to pins 1 and 2.

Advantage: you can control 12 Cobalt Digital with a single LS150.
Disadvantage: you cannot set a turnout to straight or round, you just can toggle its position (so you cannot use turnouts in routes).

But maybe I missed an important detail ...

BTW: 15 V AC has a peak voltage of 15 * 1.41 = 21 V. Even with the diodes this may be too much for the Cobalt digital if it uses a buffer capacitor inside (and since it was made for DCC, I presume there is such a capacitor).
The diodes reduce the effective voltage and light bulbs or purely analogue motors could be used, but they do not change the peak voltage and digital devices with a rectifier and buffer capacitor might get damaged by the peak voltage.

Cobalt digital motor does function in analog power so why not in same from LS150 that leaves out 15VAC analog power too by use 2 diodes???
Yes...you did miss a detail...it works in analog power.
Besides...Cobalt motor has 12VDC and are suitable for 15VAC by use 2 diodes to half wave voltage.
Rectifier or trafo doesn´t matter.
So long it don´t overage power consumption against motor.
My tortoise motor has 12VDC and i use trafo 15VAC with 2 diodes.
No problem here!

H0
Offline H0  
#108 Posted : 12 May 2013 23:42:46(UTC)
H0

No problem here!
No built-in decoder with your tortoise motors. It's like comparing analogue loco with digital loco.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#109 Posted : 12 May 2013 23:46:29(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I'm pulling for Anders, but my luck it will be Tom.
Offline Goofy  
#110 Posted : 13 May 2013 07:00:32(UTC)
Goofy

No problem here!
No built-in decoder with your tortoise motors. It's like comparing analogue loco with digital loco.

If you connect analog power to the decoder...do you think it´s digital power and function???
No...it´s still analog power.
Decoder in Cobalt motor is react after power consumption.
Just feed analog power and it works by after analog power.
Use LS150 and you have analog power feeding to the Cobalt motor with or without decoder in the motor.
H0
Offline efel  
#111 Posted : 13 May 2013 07:24:51(UTC)
efel

France   
Goofy,

You should indicates exactly how you think the Cobalt Digital should be connected to the LS150.
In that way, it will be easier to explain you why you are wrong.

Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
H0
Offline H0  
#112 Posted : 13 May 2013 08:24:44(UTC)
H0

If you connect analog power to the decoder...do you think it´s digital power and function???
Well, it's analogue power that is fed into a digital decoder - and it's up to the digital decoder how much of the power goes to the motor.

You have non-digital non-Cobalt turnout motors and have no problems with 15 V AC plus diodes.
Quinton has digital Cobalt turnout motors.

IMHO it can't hurt to ask DCCconcepts whether the proposed connection (LS150 plus transformer 15 V AC) might work with Cobalt digital.

15 V AC plus diode means: no power during 8.33 ms, then a half sine wave for 8.33 ms reaching a voltage of 21 V, then no power for 8.33 ms and so forth.
This kind of voltage is OK for analogue motors as the few milliseconds of over-voltage won't do harm - and then there is time to cool down again.
So there should be no problem if it were standard (non-digital) Cobalt motors.

I'm a noob with respect to tortoise motors, but I would not try this if it were my Cobalt motors.
You are the tortoise motor guru with a whole lot of expertise and you are so dang sure it will work that I will stop here.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#113 Posted : 13 May 2013 17:41:14(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post
Goofy,

You should indicates exactly how you think the Cobalt Digital should be connected to the LS150.

Fred

I did posted nr 95 how to connect slow switch motor to LS150.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#114 Posted : 13 May 2013 18:02:44(UTC)
Goofy

Well, it's analogue power that is fed into a digital decoder - and it's up to the digital decoder how much of the power goes to the motor.

You have non-digital non-Cobalt turnout motors and have no problems with 15 V AC plus diodes.
Quinton has digital Cobalt turnout motors.

IMHO it can't hurt to ask DCCconcepts whether the proposed connection (LS150 plus transformer 15 V AC) might work with Cobalt digital.

15 V AC plus diode means: no power during 8.33 ms, then a half sine wave for 8.33 ms reaching a voltage of 21 V, then no power for 8.33 ms and so forth.
This kind of voltage is OK for analogue motors as the few milliseconds of over-voltage won't do harm - and then there is time to cool down again.
So there should be no problem if it were standard (non-digital) Cobalt motors.

I'm a noob with respect to tortoise motors, but I would not try this if it were my Cobalt motors.
You are the tortoise motor guru with a whole lot of expertise and you are so dang sure it will work that I will stop here.

In all accessory digital decoder there is warranty.
Tortoise offers to customer 9 years warranty and that included by use with half wave voltage too.
This accessory decoder in Cobalt motor does have protection against overload and short circuit.
It´s harmful for the half wave voltage too since Cobalt shows result too by use Cobalt motor.
It has same result like Tortoise motor by use in analog power.
Just connect 12VDC to the decoder and it´s react of power consumption.
Since it send 12VDC power to the motor...it should accept with half wave voltage too.

I suggest TS shall first try just one motor and test how it was.

There is one i don´t understand...TS is not alone to have problem by use Cobalt digital motor in DCC motion...so what exactly is the problem in the accessory decoder? Confused
You see...even other customer who use other digital system has same problem so it´s not CS2 default!!!
I think this is the last comments from me...so i wish Quinton all luck by test.
If bad luck with Cobalt digital motor...buy Tortoise motor instead...you live in USA where almost every body use this model!!!

Ciao

H0
Offline H0  
#115 Posted : 13 May 2013 18:34:24(UTC)
H0

Well, first step in post #95 is: "Remove the decoder".

So Quinton has to find out how to remove the built-in decoder before he tries to connect the LS150.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline efel  
#116 Posted : 13 May 2013 22:39:19(UTC)
efel

France   
Goofy,

Fred

You wrote in your #95 post:"remove the decoder".
But Quinton has already said that it is NOT possible to remove the decoder of the Cobalt Digital !
Thanks for your very valuable advice!

fred

Offline Goofy  
#117 Posted : 14 May 2013 18:09:51(UTC)
Goofy

Goofy,

Fred

You wrote in your #95 post:"remove the decoder".
But Quinton has already said that it is NOT possible to remove the decoder of the Cobalt Digital !
Thanks for your very valuable advice!

fred

Correct!
But i was not expected that decoder was presoldered at Cobalt factory.
In fact...it´s really stupid by doing like that because decoder defaults and to do service is not possible!
In fact...you are forcement to change out motor with decoder! Cursing
Decoder should clip on instead at the motor.
Cobalt digital motor is madness!!! Blink

H0
Offline Goofy  
#118 Posted : 14 May 2013 18:13:14(UTC)
Goofy

Well, first step in post #95 is: "Remove the decoder".

So Quinton has to find out how to remove the built-in decoder before he tries to connect the LS150.

Why???
It works with 12VDC too by not remove decoder.
So what about to use LS150...?
LS150 leaves out analog power too...but instead 15VAC.
But if Quinton use 2 diodes it protect motor.
H0
Offline H0  
#119 Posted : 14 May 2013 18:39:00(UTC)
H0

It works with 12VDC too by not remove decoder.
See post #106.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#120 Posted : 14 May 2013 20:20:10(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
There is no need to fight about it. What I need is a solution without the LS150. When I get the LS150 we will know if it works, or not.

As far as the LS150 goes is there a particular way the B & O wires attach to the LS150. In other words does the B wire go the K connector, and the O wire to the J connector or vise versa?

Thanks
Offline Webmaster  
#121 Posted : 14 May 2013 21:11:34(UTC)
Webmaster

I think it is mostly theoretical speculations from all of us here since it seems noone has this Cobalt Digital combo setup with a CS2 as you have, Quinton...

But at least we try to help you, even if it may be confusing and maybe slightly inaccurate at times... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Goofy  
#122 Posted : 15 May 2013 06:57:40(UTC)
Goofy

Half wave voltage replaces the patch with 12VDC.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#123 Posted : 15 May 2013 07:00:19(UTC)
Goofy

There is no need to fight about it. What I need is a solution without the LS150. When I get the LS150 we will know if it works, or not.

As far as the LS150 goes is there a particular way the B & O wires attach to the LS150. In other words does the B wire go the K connector, and the O wire to the J connector or vise versa?

Thanks

In my case...i use + with J and - with K.
J=red
K=brown

But make sure to set DCC motion first in yours CS2.

H0
Offline H0  
#124 Posted : 15 May 2013 08:56:10(UTC)
H0

There is no need to fight about it.
We are not fighting.

One user says you can easily use the Cobalt motor with the LS150 if you remove the built-in decoder from the Cobalt digital. True (but so far it seems impossible to remove the internal decoder).

It's a simple fact that 15 V AC has an effective voltage of 15 V (by definition) and a peak voltage of 21.15 V (assuming it's a sine wave (and there should be a sine wave coming from the wall outlet and hence there should be sine wave coming out of the transformer)).
When using diodes to clip off a half wave, you get an effective voltage of 7.5 V (suitable for Cobalt digital) and a peak voltage of 21.15 V (above the maximum of 16.5 V specified for the Cobalt digital).

No fighting about simple facts. But since we do not know the internal wiring of the Cobalt digital, we can only speculate whether a Cobalt digital with decoder can safely be used with an LS150 and 15 V AC clipped with a diode (effective voltage is OK, but peak voltage is too high - and typically decoders use full rectifiers and capacitors inside, so typically it's the peak voltage that has to be taken into account when feeding power to a decoder - when powering light bulbs or stupid motors (without semiconductors), it's the effective voltage that counts).

Since a Cobalt digital used in analogue mode can only toggle its position, but cannot be told to go straight or go round, it makes IMHO no sense to use a Cobalt digital as is with another external decoder. Even if it should work, it could not be used reliably for routes or automatic operations.

I still think a Cobalt digital as is should work with the CS2 (especially since it is documented to work with ECoS a.k.a. CS1reloaded). But it seems there are no Cobalt digital users around here.
A step by step description of what you are doing to program the Cobalt might help a CS2 expert to identify what is missing.
Or a step by step description from a CS2 export on how to program DCC decoders might help you to identify what is missing.
Maybe the fault is with the wiring - you didn't show pictures or diagrams yet, did you?
It's a long chain - and if it doesn't work there is a fault somewhere in the chain and all elements of the chain have to be checked.

There was a similar problem reported against Viessmann decoders - those decoders also learn their address automatically. It worked in the end.
Discussed in this thread.

No fighting. Anders is your leader.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#125 Posted : 15 May 2013 09:29:58(UTC)
Goofy

Anders is your leader.

That was bad excuse! Sad
All is welcome to explain.

H0
Offline Quinton  
#126 Posted : 15 May 2013 12:04:39(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
This how I have it wired, and trying to program excerpted from post #12.

I have the O wire going into the DCC track hole (1) of the motor. I have the B wire going into the power hole (2) of the motor. The switch on the motor is on set. On the keyboard screen I click the wrench. The screen turns blue. I click on turnout 1. I select DCC. I select left turnout for the type. I leave the name at 1. I leave the switching duration at 250. I then click the green check. I then click the green arrow. It then asks me if I want to stop the operation of the locos. I click the green check. It then tells me I can program the solenoid after waiting a second. I click the green check. It then brings me back to the keyboard screen. I switch the motor back to run.

I don't think pictures would help just two wires going to a motor.
Offline Goofy  
#127 Posted : 15 May 2013 12:31:30(UTC)
Goofy

There is no need to fight about it.
We are not fighting.

One user says you can easily use the Cobalt motor with the LS150 if you remove the built-in decoder from the Cobalt digital. True (but so far it seems impossible to remove the internal decoder).

It's a simple fact that 15 V AC has an effective voltage of 15 V (by definition) and a peak voltage of 21.15 V (assuming it's a sine wave (and there should be a sine wave coming from the wall outlet and hence there should be sine wave coming out of the transformer)).
When using diodes to clip off a half wave, you get an effective voltage of 7.5 V (suitable for Cobalt digital) and a peak voltage of 21.15 V (above the maximum of 16.5 V specified for the Cobalt digital).

No fighting about simple facts. But since we do not know the internal wiring of the Cobalt digital, we can only speculate whether a Cobalt digital with decoder can safely be used with an LS150 and 15 V AC clipped with a diode (effective voltage is OK, but peak voltage is too high - and typically decoders use full rectifiers and capacitors inside, so typically it's the peak voltage that has to be taken into account when feeding power to a decoder - when powering light bulbs or stupid motors (without semiconductors), it's the effective voltage that counts).

Since a Cobalt digital used in analogue mode can only toggle its position, but cannot be told to go straight or go round, it makes IMHO no sense to use a Cobalt digital as is with another external decoder. Even if it should work, it could not be used reliably for routes or automatic operations.

I still think a Cobalt digital as is should work with the CS2 (especially since it is documented to work with ECoS a.k.a. CS1reloaded). But it seems there are no Cobalt digital users around here.
A step by step description of what you are doing to program the Cobalt might help a CS2 expert to identify what is missing.
Or a step by step description from a CS2 export on how to program DCC decoders might help you to identify what is missing.
Maybe the fault is with the wiring - you didn't show pictures or diagrams yet, did you?
It's a long chain - and if it doesn't work there is a fault somewhere in the chain and all elements of the chain have to be checked.

There was a similar problem reported against Viessmann decoders - those decoders also learn their address automatically. It worked in the end.
Discussed in this thread.

No fighting. Anders is your leader.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#128 Posted : 15 May 2013 17:32:04(UTC)
Goofy

Since Cobalt motor is equal same as Tortoise motor you can use 12VDC or half wave voltage.

Goofy attached the following image(s):
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
H0
Offline H0  
#129 Posted : 15 May 2013 17:53:40(UTC)
H0

Since Cobalt motor is equal same as Tortoise motor you can use 12VDC or half wave voltage.
It's not the same as long as the internal decoder can not be removed or bypassed.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#130 Posted : 15 May 2013 18:06:05(UTC)
H0

I have the O wire going into the DCC track hole (1) of the motor. I have the B wire going into the power hole (2) of the motor. The switch on the motor is on set. On the keyboard screen I click the wrench. The screen turns blue. I click on turnout 1. I select DCC. I select left turnout for the type. I leave the name at 1. I leave the switching duration at 250. I then click the green check. I then click the green arrow. It then asks me if I want to stop the operation of the locos. I click the green check. It then tells me I can program the solenoid after waiting a second. I click the green check. It then brings me back to the keyboard screen. I switch the motor back to run.
At this point I would set the decoder to the SET position and toggle the turnout on the CS2 keyboard screen a few times and then go back to RUN. And then toggle the turnout again and again to see if the Cobalt reacts.

If it doesn't work, reboot the CS2, go to the keyboard page and try again: SET, toggle, RUN, toggle (at least twice).

Re "It then tells me I can program the solenoid after waiting a second."
I presume this message is meaningless as the Cobalt does not use "normal" programming.

It shouldn't make a difference whether 0 connects to 1 or 2. But it can't hurt to try it the other way around if it doesn't work yet.

If I understand correctly, you have more than one Cobalt. Did you try only one of them or did you test a few?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#131 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:01:16(UTC)
Goofy

It's not the same as long as the internal decoder can not be removed or bypassed.

Nope!
You feed 12VDC power too like Tortoise.
When you use analog power...you don´t use digital power.

H0
Offline H0  
#132 Posted : 15 May 2013 21:30:00(UTC)
H0

Nope!
You feed 12VDC power too like Tortoise.
When you use analog power...you don´t use digital power.
Feeding analogue power into an analogue motor is one thing, feeding analogue power into a decoder that is connected to an analogue motor is a completely different situation.

Blue transformers are not harmful to analogue locos. Blue transformers can be harmful to mfx locos used in analogue mode. Same constellation, same problem.
Same power and same motor - but the decoder makes the difference. You don't kill the motor, but you kill the decoder ...

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#133 Posted : 16 May 2013 06:59:02(UTC)
Goofy

H0
Offline H0  
#134 Posted : 16 May 2013 07:56:12(UTC)
H0

Setting a bold font does not change physical facts: 15 V AC have a peak voltage of 20.15 V. With half wave, the effective voltage goes down to 7.5 V but the peak voltage remains at 20.15 V. This voltage could be harmful to the decoder inside the Cobalt digital.

You didn't answer how to connect LS150 and Cobalt digital without removing the buit-in decoder from the Cobalt.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#135 Posted : 16 May 2013 09:28:12(UTC)
Goofy

You didn't answer how to connect LS150 and Cobalt digital without removing the buit-in decoder from the Cobalt.

Just two wires to the motor!!!(with 2 diodes from the LS150)
H0
Offline Quinton  
#136 Posted : 16 May 2013 22:23:51(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
The winner is Tom. I couldn't get the LS150 to work with the Digital Cobalt. I purchased a plain Cobalt with the LS150 to test that setup, and it works fine.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Quinton
H0
Offline H0  
#137 Posted : 16 May 2013 22:56:25(UTC)
H0

The winner is Tom.
We weren't fighting, so there is no winner.
Glad it's working now.ThumpUp

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#138 Posted : 16 May 2013 23:02:34(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
Working as far as switching, but the straight motor is not setup like the digital. I had my push buttons, and signals wired into the digital. The plain doesn't seem to be setup that way. So still not working. Why is nothing easy!?!? Have to get the digital to work with the CS2, or rewire everything to get the push buttons, and signals to work.
Offline H0  
#139 Posted : 16 May 2013 23:24:04(UTC)
H0

Have to get the digital to work with the CS2
Do you have another DCC controllers or do you know someone (friend, dealer) with a DCC controller?
Maybe the problem is programming (setting) the address. It should work with the CS2 even if you set the address with another controller.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dennisb  
#140 Posted : 18 May 2017 22:43:20(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
An old thread I know but... I just bought a few Cobalt IP's without checking this thread first... I tried a lot of things, including the recommendations here, but I didn't manage to get the CS2 and the Cobalt to work in DCC.

Then I tried to program the Cobalt from iTrain instead. I followed the instructions and it took about a minute per Cobalt to get them working with an address of choice. The good news was that after I programmed them they could be steered from the CS2 without any issues and as I had tried to program from the CS2 all the configs were already in place.

Thought I post it here in case anyone else is interested in these switch motors, they seems very convenient I must say. Will mount them during the weekend.

D.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dennisb