Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#51 Posted : 10 May 2013 15:56:41(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Quinton Go to Quoted Post
I'm a novice at this. I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean by write 35? In the CS2 in the name input write 35?

Yes...by push on it at keyboard to set the value for the turnout decoder.
But you must do it under set program sequence at turnout decoder.
A simple question...did you tried only to set difference adresses on the turnout decoder?
Yours turnout is just simple same as Tortiose motor that is an slow switch motor.
You must have permanent power to feed to the turnout motor.
So by use momentary switch you must set value of 35 which equals 3,5 seconds that works as permanent feed power to make sure slow switch motor to move.
0,25 second is nothing!!!
0,25 seconds is working for magnet switch motor(under short momentary push).

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#52 Posted : 10 May 2013 16:12:08(UTC)
H0

What do you mean by write 35? In the CS2 in the name input write 35?
I'm afraid Anders writes about an option that is not relevant for you since you have turnout motors with built-in decoders - and the Cobalt manual does not indicate that longer pulses were required.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#53 Posted : 10 May 2013 16:48:03(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean by write 35? In the CS2 in the name input write 35?
I'm afraid Anders writes about an option that is not relevant for you since you have turnout motors with built-in decoders - and the Cobalt manual does not indicate that longer pulses were required.

It should be when Cobalt turnout motor is an slow switch motor.
If there is no possible to set the value of pulses...then in case it´s waste of time to use Cobalt turnout in DCC and with CS2!!!

H0
Offline Goofy  
#54 Posted : 10 May 2013 17:20:15(UTC)
Goofy

If not less turnout decoder is already setup at factory in pulse variable... Blink
H0
Offline efel  
#55 Posted : 10 May 2013 17:34:47(UTC)
efel

France   
Cobalt digital manual indicates for ECOs:

"Leave timing at the default of 0.25 seconds and set it up as momentary operation."

Hence, it's fully compatible with CS2!

Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
H0
Offline Quinton  
#56 Posted : 10 May 2013 20:50:20(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
On keyboard position 35 I put 35 in for the name. It didn't work. On keyboard position 321 I put 35 in for the name. It didn't work. After you put the type, and name in click the green check you are back at the blue keybaod screen. What does the green down arrow do? I have been clicking that then checking the two screens that come up then clicking the check at the blue keybaod screen. Should I be clicking the green down arrow? At what point does the CS2 send out the signal?
Offline H0  
#57 Posted : 10 May 2013 21:44:29(UTC)
H0

At what point does the CS2 send out the signal?
I presume it does not send turnout commands while the screen is blue (configuration mode). So get out of configuration mode, then switch the Cobalt to SET and operate the turnout (any turnout configured for DCC) in the CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Quinton  
#58 Posted : 10 May 2013 22:32:36(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
If I start from scratch with new slow motion motors that do not have the DCC decoder built into them. What Marklin products would I need to run a plain slow motion motor with the CS2?
Offline Webmaster  
#59 Posted : 10 May 2013 22:41:28(UTC)
Webmaster

I presume that the ESU Ecos way of doing it is the right option also for CS2, after reading the information on the manufacturer's site.

Should be as "easy" as Tom describes it, if you use only the track power to power it without any additional resistors (ie, no external 12V power source for the motor operation).

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer for some advice regarding hooking it up to the 60215 CS2?
Would be great to know about some "official" response, since it looks to be a great decoder/motor combo.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Quinton  
#60 Posted : 10 May 2013 22:45:19(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I have contacted them. They said that they have not had much experience with the CS2. They did tell me that the voltage is to high for the motor, and I should use the resistor.
Offline Webmaster  
#61 Posted : 10 May 2013 23:03:58(UTC)
Webmaster

Since the ESU Ecos & DCC systems do put out about the same voltage to the tracks as the CS2 - I do not really understand why an extra resistor should be needed if the decoder/motor combo is fed by the track only. Since there are very plain instructions for the ESU Ecos - there must be voltage reduction electronics to the motor feed from the decoder in place from the start...

The manufacturer should buy a 60215 CS2 themselves just to be able to provide accurate instructions... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Quinton  
#62 Posted : 10 May 2013 23:36:06(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
If I start from scratch with new slow motion motors that do not have the DCC decoder built into them. What Marklin products would I need to run a plain slow motion motor with the CS2?
Offline Goofy  
#63 Posted : 11 May 2013 05:54:56(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post

"Leave timing at the default of 0.25 seconds and set it up as momentary operation."

Fred

Cobalt turnout motor is an slow switch motor which don´t work with momentary switch so long there is no pulse varible to program first.
The problem is decoder inbuilt with Cobalt motor.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#64 Posted : 11 May 2013 06:27:22(UTC)
Goofy

If you use Cobalt motor without inbuilt decoder just like Tortiose motor you need Lenz LS150 turnout decoder if you shall only use DCC motion.
If you shall use MM(motorola)and Marklin products then in case i suggest Marklin k84(switch decoder function as permanent switch).
But Marklins k84 are expensive and can only connect 4 motors or 2 motors(Cobalt or and Tortiose) while Lenz LS150 with 6 motors and cost only half of the prices.
Lenz LS150 is more difficult to program while Marklins k84 don´t needs to program.
K84 has DIP switches if you decides to change adresses of k84.
That´s all!

But i suggest you shall wait because Marklin have started producing new turnout decoder k83 and switch decoder k84 which are more better advanced decoder function for magnet motor and slow switch motor like Cobalt or and Tortiose motor.
You can check here:
http://catalog.lokshop.d.../Maerklin_EN_NH_2013.pdf
Scroll down to page 147.

P.S.
If you decides to use LS150 you must use 2 diodes to create half wave voltage because turnout decoder leaves 16VAC out.
With k84 you can use rectifiers as power feeder to use 2 switch connection at k84 so you can feed 12VDC to Cobalt or and Tortiose motor.
One more thing...LS150 needs a seperat trafo at 45 VA to feed analog power out function for motors.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#65 Posted : 11 May 2013 07:11:21(UTC)
Goofy

A silly question...
When you did tried with analog DC power connected to Cobalt motor...did you push momentary or permanent(push on the button permanent)?
H0
Offline efel  
#66 Posted : 11 May 2013 07:16:02(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Fred

Cobalt turnout motor is an slow switch motor which don´t work with momentary switch so long there is no pulse varible to program first.

Cobalt says: My cobalt digital motor works with momentary switch.
Goofy says: cobal motor doesn't work with momentary switch.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
H0
Offline Goofy  
#67 Posted : 11 May 2013 07:42:05(UTC)
Goofy

Fred

Cobalt says: My cobalt digital motor works with momentary switch.
Goofy says: cobal motor doesn't work with momentary switch.

Cobalt motor is an slow switch motor requiring permanent crackdown.
Into function...
H0
Offline Goofy  
#68 Posted : 11 May 2013 07:49:12(UTC)
Goofy

If you use Cobalt motor without inbuilt decoder just like Tortiose motor you need Lenz LS150 turnout decoder if you shall only use DCC motion.
If you shall use MM(motorola)and Marklin products then in case i suggest Marklin k84(switch decoder function as permanent switch).
But Marklins k84 are expensive and can only connect 4 motors or 2 motors(Cobalt or and Tortiose) while Lenz LS150 with 6 motors and cost only half of the prices.
Lenz LS150 is more difficult to program while Marklins k84 don´t needs to program.
K84 has DIP switches if you decides to change adresses of k84.
That´s all!

But i suggest you shall wait because Marklin have started producing new turnout decoder k83 and switch decoder k84 which are more better advanced decoder function for magnet motor and slow switch motor like Cobalt or and Tortiose motor.
You can check here:
http://catalog.lokshop.d.../Maerklin_EN_NH_2013.pdf
Scroll down to page 147.

P.S.
If you decides to use LS150 you must use 2 diodes to create half wave voltage because turnout decoder leaves 16VAC out.
With k84 you can use rectifiers as power feeder to use 2 switch connection at k84 so you can feed 12VDC to Cobalt or and Tortiose motor.
One more thing...LS150 needs a seperat trafo at 45 VA to feed analog power out function for motors.

I forget to write about k84.
You can also use AC trafo 16V and connect to one switch connection at k84 and use 2 diodes for half wave voltage to slow turnout motor.
In this case you can use 4 motors at one k84.

H0
Offline H0  
#69 Posted : 11 May 2013 08:47:18(UTC)
H0

I don't have any servos in use, but if I had I would try ESU's SwitchPilot Servo 51802 as decoder. It's affordable (much cheaper than k84) and supports both MM and DCC.

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...pilot/switchpilot-servo/
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#70 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:13:24(UTC)
Goofy

You might also use this turnout decoder that only cost half of what k84 cost.
www.digital-plus.de/digitalplus-schaltdecoder.php
www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/AccDecoders.html
H0
Offline GSRR  
#71 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:20:59(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Updated manual for the Cobalt Digital

http://www.gaugemaster.c...obalt_digital_manual.pdf

Cobalt facts & specifications
28.5mm WxHxD (34mm over mount wings)
44mm (67 mm over connector)
40mm (48mm over mount wings)
Approvals Cobalt meets all European CE standards

Using DCC @ 14.5v 22mA when static. 18mA when changing. Controllable via DCC or momentary push button switch.

Do NOT exceed 16.5v DCC

Using DC A 12v regulated DC p/supply needed. @ 12.0v 20mA when static. 16mA when changing.

Easy wiring Totally solder-free. Fine wire OK. Strip wires 10~12mm and twist tightly. Hold back tab & insert fully before releasing.
Versatile Can be controlled Digitally, via conven- control tional DC power & with panel switches
Mounting ability Vertical for turnout operation, horizontal for semaphore signal or vertical lift cross- ing gates etc. All screws provided.
Noise level Quietest of all motor drive turnout control devices at recommended voltages
Control type
High gear ratio guarantees that it will not “relax” at the end of throw. Wide adjust- ment and positive, gentle action.
ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GSRR
H0
Offline Goofy  
#72 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:26:51(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post

Updated manual for the Cobalt Digital

http://www.gaugemaster.c...obalt_digital_manual.pdf

Cobalt facts & specifications
28.5mm WxHxD (34mmover
mount wings)
44mm (67 mm over connector)
40mm (48mm over mount wings)
Approvals Cobalt meets all European CE standards

Using DCC @ 14.5v 22mA when static. 18mA when changing. Controllable via DCC or momentary push button switch.

Do NOT exceed 16.5v DCC

Using DC A 12v regulated DC p/supply needed.
@ 12.0v 20mA when static. 16mA when changing.

Easy wiring
Totally solder-free. Fine wire OK. Strip wires 10~12mm and twist tightly. Hold back tab & insert fully before releasing.
Versatile Can be controlled Digitally, via conven- control tional DC power & with panel switches
Mounting ability
Vertical for turnout operation, horizontal for semaphore signal or vertical lift cross- ing gates etc. All screws provided.
Noise level
Quietest of all motor drive turnout control devices at recommended voltages
Control type
High gear ratio guarantees that it will not “relax” at the end of throw. Wide adjust- ment and positive, gentle action.

Don´t stands anything about pulse varible done at factory when they are presentation "Momentary push button switch"!!
Because Cobalt motor is an slow switch motor.

H0
Offline GSRR  
#73 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:31:12(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
I have contacted them. They said that they have not had much experience with the CS2. They did tell me that the voltage is to high for the motor, and I should use the resistor.

In your very first post you state that the only Marklin item you have is the CS2. I asked you about your layout, I'll ask again. Are you running 2 rail DC, 3 rail AC, HO, TT, Marklin C track, K track?

It really helps with the answers you get.
ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Goofy  
#74 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:39:47(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post

In your very first post you state that the only Marklin item is the CS2. I asked you about your layout, I'll ask again. Are you running 2 rail DC, 3 rail AC, HO, TT, Marklin C track, K track?

It really helps with the answers you get.

It doesn´t matter since it´s 2 wires feeding to the track.
I use Trix MS2 and with Lenz LS150 turnout decoder.
It works perfect.
Of course...in DCC motion.

H0
Offline GSRR  
#75 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:43:57(UTC)
GSRR

United States   

Perhaps post also in this thread.

Model Rail Forum > The Engine Sheds - Community Forums > DCC : cobalt point motors

http://www.modelrailforu...ndex.php?showtopic=20821

Offline Goofy  
#76 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:51:30(UTC)
Goofy

I have the 60215. I have read the manual. I went to the Keyboard page. I have put a DCC left hand turnout on the the first page, first number, and named it S1 as the manual says on page 56 step 5. Clicked the green check mark. At this point I assume I have only made the picture for the turnout, and not assigned the digital motor to the picture since nothing happens when I click the switch. What I need to know is how do you register the digital motor into the CS2? I have my digital motor wired into the track bus, and the switch on the digital motor is on "set" not "run" per their directions. Thanks again for any help. This is becoming very frustrating. I have wore out Marklin's help people just getting my locos to work. Hopefully there is help out there.

A simple question...did you set up first in the CS2 and click "save" for data after programmed with Cobalt motor?

H0
Offline GSRR  
#77 Posted : 11 May 2013 10:11:24(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Since the ESU Ecos & DCC systems do put out about the same voltage to the tracks as the CS2 - I do not really understand why an extra resistor should be needed if the decoder/motor combo is fed by the track only. Since there are very plain instructions for the ESU Ecos - there must be voltage reduction electronics to the motor feed from the decoder in place from the start...

The manufacturer should buy a 60215 CS2 themselves just to be able to provide accurate instructions... Wink

Juhan.

I came across a thread with some posts by Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts. He has done tests with the ESU ECoS, but at much lower voltage, typical of a DC layout.

In addition there was one guy who is running @ 40 Cobalt Digital points with an ESU ECoS, but again on a DC layout at less than 14.5 volts

r/Thomas

Offline H0  
#78 Posted : 11 May 2013 10:26:49(UTC)
H0

It does matter as three-rail H0 typically uses voltages of 18 V or higher while two-rail H0 and smaller scales use lower voltages.

Unless it is three-rail H0, a new power supply may be enough to reduce the track voltage to 16.5 V or less. Then Cobalt could be used without resistors.

If Cobalt Digital works with ECoS, it should also work with CS2. Probably there is just a small detail missing.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#79 Posted : 11 May 2013 10:55:13(UTC)
Goofy

It does matter as three-rail H0 typically uses voltages of 18 V or higher while two-rail H0 and smaller scales use lower voltages.

Unless it is three-rail H0, a new power supply may be enough to reduce the track voltage to 16.5 V or less. Then Cobalt could be used without resistors.

If Cobalt Digital works with ECoS, it should also work with CS2. Probably there is just a small detail missing.

TS did tested with analog 12VDC power and did said that it works...yet there was decoder still install in the motor.
But TS didn´t said if he used push button momentary or did he pushed permanent(all the times).
In fact that should been work at DCC too and power feed at least 16 V.
Cobalt digital motor is suitable between 16-19 Volt and should reaction same way like analog DC by push on the button.
I think TS didn´t setup to save data in the CS2 when he did programmed Cobalt digital motor.
What ever...Cobalt motor is an slow switch motor that are dependings of permanent power under function until it moved finish.
12VDC or 16-19 V digital DCC or MM...what ever!

H0
Offline Goofy  
#80 Posted : 11 May 2013 11:16:31(UTC)
Goofy

A simple question...CS2 stand in DCC...what power has it?
16 or 18-19 V...?
H0
Offline Quinton  
#81 Posted : 11 May 2013 13:19:11(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I have a DCC n scale layout with Peco track, and five Peco Streamline Electrofrog turnouts. I have put the red wire from the CS2 on one rail, and the brown wire on the other rail.

I do not know if I have saved the data. How do you do that?

Since I have five turnouts it sounds like the Lenz is the way to go. The manual looks straight forward, but so does all the others. I don't have a lot of money to play with, so can't afford to buy stuff to find out it doesn't work. I would like to try a system that has been used, and known to work.
Offline Quinton  
#82 Posted : 11 May 2013 13:36:55(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
Sorry forgot to answer this. I pushed momentary.
Offline efel  
#83 Posted : 11 May 2013 14:18:59(UTC)
efel

France   

. I don't have a lot of money to play with,..

In that case,
-1 Check the track voltage of your CS2. It"s probably too high for N scale use, and might burn some decoders. If so, use either a lower power supply, or zener diodes.
-2 Take some time (hours) to read older technical topics on this forum, in order to find out who are the members that are competent, from a technical point of view. Then, you can rely on them.

Fred
Offline Goofy  
#84 Posted : 11 May 2013 15:33:59(UTC)
Goofy

I have a DCC n scale layout with Peco track, and five Peco Streamline Electrofrog turnouts. I have put the red wire from the CS2 on one rail, and the brown wire on the other rail.

I do not know if I have saved the data. How do you do that?

Since I have five turnouts it sounds like the Lenz is the way to go. The manual looks straight forward, but so does all the others. I don't have a lot of money to play with, so can't afford to buy stuff to find out it doesn't work. I would like to try a system that has been used, and known to work.

Before you do something to shop...try this first.
1.Check power consumption in "setup" in the CS2 about how much power there is in DCC motion.Will this show at 16 V or is it higher?
2.When you shall start program yours Cobalt digital motor...turn to "set" and choise an adress like number 1 or 3 or 7...you desides yourself(must be done program at keyboard first to accept an adress).
3.When adress is done...click on the green check...now go to "setup" and click on the "save"(it saves data info in the CS2).
4.Turn back to "run" in yours Cobalt motor.
5.Try to push an choised push button on the keyboard that is ID for yours turnout.

I hope this work now...if not less yours power consumption is perhaps too high out to the track(maximum 16 Volt)...?

P.S.
Yours decoder inbuilt with Cobalt motor...can you remove decoder?

H0
Offline Goofy  
#85 Posted : 11 May 2013 16:21:40(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not sure if it is okey to turn back to "run"(Cobalt motor) before you go to setup and push "save"... Confused
You can try first in "set" and go to setup to save data.
If this not work...try in "run" before you go to setup to "save" data.

H0
Offline H0  
#86 Posted : 11 May 2013 17:19:05(UTC)
H0

1.Check power consumption in "setup" in the CS2 about how much power there is in DCC motion.Will this show at 16 V or is it higher?
Good question. A CS2 running on 16 V AC will have around 22 V track voltage, running on 19 V DC it should indicate approx. 19 V track voltage.
These are the two options that Märklin have to offer.

For N gauge, a power supply with a lower voltage should be used (maybe 10 or 11 V AC or 15 V DC).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#87 Posted : 11 May 2013 17:34:36(UTC)
Goofy

Good question. A CS2 running on 16 V AC will have around 22 V track voltage, running on 19 V DC it should indicate approx. 19 V track voltage.
These are the two options that Märklin have to offer.

For N gauge, a power supply with a lower voltage should be used (maybe 10 or 11 V AC or 15 V DC).

Sorry...but lower voltage makes resulting deterioration in the feed to the CS2.
CS2 needs some much in power consumption to make sure in function by use it.
If Marklin did just put into CS2 with adjustable power consumption by choise between 12 to 19 Volt it will work better for customer by use smaller scale in trains.
Who knows...even make Cobalt motor in DCC motion start works! Wink

H0
Offline Quinton  
#88 Posted : 12 May 2013 03:27:30(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
The voltage is at 18.9. You said to go to setup and save. I click on the setup tab, and I don't see save. I'm probably not looking in the right spot.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#89 Posted : 12 May 2013 04:39:57(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
I am just throwing this out here, you have your CS2 and you have your switch motors, but do you have a dcc decoder for the switch? I have my ECOS, I have my switch pilot decoder and then I have my switch motors. If you don't have a decoder your CS2 can't find the switch.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#90 Posted : 12 May 2013 06:17:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Chris, you need to read the rest of the thread! Then you would know that Quinton has already stated that the Cobalt Digital Switch has an inbuilt DCC decoder.

See posts #9, #13, and the link to the Cobalt Digital Switch manual in #30.
Offline H0  
#91 Posted : 12 May 2013 08:23:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
If you don't have a decoder your CS2 can't find the switch.
The CS2 doesn't find any switches, even if they have decoders (this may change when mfx switch decoders will be available).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#92 Posted : 12 May 2013 10:12:47(UTC)
Goofy

The voltage is at 18.9. You said to go to setup and save. I click on the setup tab, and I don't see save. I'm probably not looking in the right spot.

I´m sorry...i mean to confirm by save data information.

Blushing

H0
Offline Goofy  
#93 Posted : 12 May 2013 11:32:53(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
If you don't have a decoder your CS2 can't find the switch.
The CS2 doesn't find any switches, even if they have decoders (this may change when mfx switch decoders will be available).

Supports also in DCC motion.

H0
Offline Quinton  
#94 Posted : 12 May 2013 13:05:22(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
So save is the green down arrow? I forgot to answer you can not remove the DCC. I think as long as the switch it on run it's like a plain motor.

I have purchased the LS150. I already have a transformer that is 15VAC/3A. So it seems the last thing would be the diodes. So is the diodes that Lenz suggest the best (1N4001)? I have seen from past posts that the Cobalt specs are 14.5V, 22mA at rest, 18 mA changing. I guess the best question is how do you calculate what diode needed, so in future cases I can calculate it myself?

Thanks again for everyone trying to help I really appreciate it!
Offline Goofy  
#95 Posted : 12 May 2013 15:03:57(UTC)
Goofy

So save is the green down arrow? I forgot to answer you can not remove the DCC. I think as long as the switch it on run it's like a plain motor.

I have purchased the LS150. I already have a transformer that is 15VAC/3A. So it seems the last thing would be the diodes. So is the diodes that Lenz suggest the best (1N4001)? I have seen from past posts that the Cobalt specs are 14.5V, 22mA at rest, 18 mA changing. I guess the best question is how do you calculate what diode needed, so in future cases I can calculate it myself?

Thanks again for everyone trying to help I really appreciate it!

Hi!

First...remove yours decoder in the motor.
So yours Cobalt motor becomes analog standing.
Here is two pictures that shows how to connection Tortoise motor.
Yours Cobalt motor seems simular same.
The yellow and brown wires is for motor.
Be attention how to use diodes connecting at turnout decoder!
It´s very good transformer you get there...i use too 15VAC/45 watt(3A).

Goofy attached the following image(s):
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#96 Posted : 12 May 2013 16:12:31(UTC)
Goofy

H0
Offline Quinton  
#97 Posted : 12 May 2013 16:43:46(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I was having problems following that last link. Not sure what the problem was. You can't remove the decoder it is sealed inside the motor. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't matter and run off the power being sent from the Lenz. If not I will have to save my nickles and dimes to buy motor with no decoders.

Do you now how to figure out what diodes to use, or just go with the 1N4001 and they will work.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Offline H0  
#98 Posted : 12 May 2013 17:17:34(UTC)
H0

The 1N4001 is rated for up to 1000 mA at up to 50 V. The motor is rated with 22 mA and 18 mA at 16.5 V or less, so this should be OK.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#99 Posted : 12 May 2013 17:26:06(UTC)
Goofy

I was having problems following that last link. Not sure what the problem was. You can't remove the decoder it is sealed inside the motor. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't matter and run off the power being sent from the Lenz. If not I will have to save my nickles and dimes to buy motor with no decoders.

Do you now how to figure out what diodes to use, or just go with the 1N4001 and they will work.

Thanks again for everyones help.

1N4001 1A is what i use for my tortoise motor.

Now about yours motor with decoder.
Lenz LS150 leaves out 15VAC to the motor so it will be fine if you use 2 diodes connect by protecting yours DC motor at 12VDC.
By the way...you have momentary push in yours Cobalt motor when you connect analog power.
So in this case...i don´t think you need to program pulse varible in the turnout decoder LS150.
Try first with only ready programmed LS150 from the factory.
LS150 position prefactory is 1-6.
H0
Offline Quinton  
#100 Posted : 12 May 2013 17:33:55(UTC)
Quinton

United States   
I ordered the LS150 over the internet, so not sure when I will have it. I will wire it up right out of the box with no adjustments, and pray for smooth sailing.