Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2011 01:46:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all - here's a thread with a difference that I hope a few of you will enjoy.

We all (well, many of us at least) have them.

'ORPHAN ITEMS'

What do I mean, well here's some examples.....

* - A tender without a loco (or vice-versa)
* - An instruction leaflet that you don't own the item for
* - One portion of a larger item or set
* - A Coach/Wagon without a Roof/Wheels and vice-versa (spare wheels don't count)
* - A box without an item to go in it (items without boxes don't count either because EVERYONE has those)
** very old starter-set boxes (red or very early blue) are definitely in as these can be fun and hard to make complete again get finding examples of everything that would have been originally with it.

I'm sure you get my drift. And you hang on to whatever it is, because "one day" whatever else you need might just turn up. Ever the optimist.

Here are my examples.

1: G800 Box - I'm not sure where/when I even got this which really irks me but I've had it several years. It's got the wooden base, an oil-stained cloth inside and the Red corner-stapled lid, and in pretty good condition (around C8). For a long time I've been looking for a suitable G800 but they are very hard to find, and when you do, very expensive, and usually with a box anyway. There's a basket-case on Ebay right now which I was tempted but the pictures and damage description are not clear enough to take the risk... G 800 on Ebay.com

2: 323 box (Red) - you'd think this would be simple - the 323 is just a simple wagon - but again, finding one without a box is quite a different story.

3: 314 BP - This one was proof of persistence - I had a 314 BP Red box for many years also. One day a 314 BP wagon came up on NZ Trademe, without a box, and at a price I could manage. It wasn't in top condition, but neither was the box for that matter, so a marriage made in heaven.

4: But probably my most frustrating orphans are two mis-matched halves of an ST800. I have the chassis/motor from the Front unit (ST800A - Antriebwagen) and the body from the ST800 Rear unit (ST800S - Schlußwagen). They came as a pair and obviously did not match. At the time I rather hoped the seller would find the rest of the missing bits but after several years that has not happened and the seller has left NZ. So somewhere floating around are the other parts of this train.

When I got it, it had been repainted and was in a very sorry state. I stripped them and soaked them to loosen the paint which then came off very easily revealing the original paintwork, somewhat the worse for wear but well-within restoration. It was fun stripping and overhauling the Motor and Jacobs Truck and what a fine piece of engineering it all is. And it now runs like a dream. I'd absolutely love to have one of these ST800 trains but they remain well beyond my budget so in the meantime I dream about the day the other items will turn up for a song - wishful thinking.

I probably have other items but these are a good start to get the ball rolling.

And what do we do with these items?, hang on hoping to get the other part, or risk selling it only to know that what you have been searching for will turn up the next week. And this my friends, is the absolute core of Men's Garages and Workshops. "Might need that one day". Is that just a Kiwi/English thing or are blokes all around the world like that? (hoarders).

Of course if I knew someone who could really use what I have, then some sort of Trade is highly acceptable and strongly encouraged in the spirit of good modelling camaraderie.

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly on the B&G) that someone had a Marklin wind-up key for a clockwork motor (perhaps from an old Metall set), but nothing to use it on - that would be funny, and just the sort of thing die-hard collectors keep. I'm sure there's many a clockwork loco with no original key either.

If an item bears any of the Marklin logos in any shape or form, that will do nicely thank you.

I did once have an Orphan Tender also which I think was a GN809 or something like that with some mild Zinkpest. I gave that to a close enthusiast friend who I thought might be able to use it. I'm not sure if that is the tender that would match a G800, but I do know the box and the tender did not come into my possession at the same time.

Hope at least a few of you are amused enough to contribute your story. I shall post this to the B&G to get a wider audience and hopefully some interesting feedback and stories.

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne
Displaced Kiwi
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
314 BP.jpg
Marklin-2.jpg
Marklin-3.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline hennabm  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2011 15:04:52(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I have several of the 1st/2nd coaches (4023 etc) with either roof or bogie missing.

My main one is a 4015 (swiss 2nd with sliding doors)with no bogies - maybe just maybe one day I will find a roofless one with no doors etc but good bogies.Smile

I do have a 1958 boxed VGC one to keep me going in the meantime.

Also a 7188 signal with a burnt out solenoid. One day I may try to repair it Woot
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2011 17:02:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
I have several of the 1st/2nd coaches (4023 etc) with either roof or bogie missing.

My main one is a 4015 (swiss 2nd with sliding doors)with no bogies - maybe just maybe one day I will find a roofless one with no doors etc but good bogies.Smile

Also a 7188 signal with a burnt out solenoid. One day I may try to repair it Woot

Hi! I do have a pair of bogies for your 4015...
Do you want them?
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline kariosls37  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2011 22:34:08(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I have a 3005 that wants a new set of valvegear and a coat of paint. for now I've taken out the motor so it can be run as a "loco saved from the scrapyard"
I also have som coaches in need of TLC and some derusting
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2011 23:07:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Do you want them?
Cheers

Perfect example of what I was talking about. And it's the sort of thing that would probably not happen through the wanted to sell/buy process because people don't tend to list things like that, but perhaps this will spark that happening.

:-)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2011 00:30:20(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
This topic is a great idea...I'm always looking for parts and have many to offer.

I have all parts for 700 series motors and the base chassis used for loks like R SLR 700. I've also got all the parts for SK HS HR RS T 800 locomotives: motor housings, wheel sets, reversing units.

If anyone is repairing a 700/800 series locomotive, let me know and I probably have the parts! Also many for the 340 and 350 series cars.

Regards,

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline seatrains  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2011 03:03:52(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
I have a Ma 3011 basket case. I bought the motor & chassis for 5 dollars at a swap meet. I didn't even know what I had, except I saw the ski on the bottom, so I guessed it was Marklin. It ran! So I have embarked on a quasi-restoration. I bought a body, pantographs, couplers, and miscellaneous part and now I have over 100 dollars into it, and I still need a few more pieces!! I know what you all are saying, "you could have bought a complete original, for that price"...oh well, everyone loves a project.
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2011 04:55:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
I have a Ma 3011 basket case. I bought the motor & chassis for 5 dollars at a swap meet. I didn't even know what I had, except I saw the ski on the bottom, so I guessed it was Marklin. It ran! So I have embarked on a quasi-restoration. I bought a body, pantographs, couplers, and miscellaneous part and now I have over 100 dollars into it, and I still need a few more pieces!! I know what you all are saying, "you could have bought a complete original, for that price"...oh well, everyone loves a project.

Thom, that story is almost like mine. I LOVE the 3011 - I got my first one with some stuff from a friend, and it was a basket-case too - although only marginally worse than yours. At least I had the body housing, but it had holes drilled in it and the chassis was broken at both ends and one truck missing or broken. I have put a few $ into mine also but it was great fun - and still a work in progress.

But my question is, if the body was missing, how do you know it was a 3011/SET 800?
Looking at the old diagrams the same chassis may also be used in the 3012/SEF 800, 3013/SEH 800 & 3014/REH 800.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2011 10:13:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
This topic is a great idea...I'm always looking for parts and have many to offer.

I have all parts for 700 series motors and the base chassis used for loks like R SLR 700. I've also got all the parts for SK HS HR RS T 800 locomotives: motor housings, wheel sets, reversing units.

If anyone is repairing a 700/800 series locomotive, let me know and I probably have the parts! Also many for the 340 and 350 series cars.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul
Excellent!
Let's get started BigGrin : do you have a roof for a 351?
Even if it's missing a couple of ventilators, no prob. I can get these from Ritter.
On the other hand,if you have that roof, I'll end up with an orphan 352 roof...Laugh (Yes, you guessed it: I have a 351 with a 352 roof!)
Any need for it?
A swap?Smile
Cheers
Jacques
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2011 10:17:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Do you need the exploded view of the 3011?
I could scan it for you, plus, like Paul I do have tons of parts myself.
Just ask!
Cheers
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2011 10:20:57(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

But my question is, if the body was missing, how do you know it was a 3011/SET 800?
Looking at the old diagrams the same chassis may also be used in the 3012/SEF 800, 3013/SEH 800 & 3014/REH 800.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Cookee

The SET had two (small) separate pick up shoes and light fixture on one end only.
The 3011 has a single (regular) pick up shoe, in the middle of the chassis and lights on both ends
Cheers
Offline seatrains  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2011 19:12:45(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
As I have said many times on this forum, there are many folks with greater Marklin knowledge than myself and why this is such a wonderful forum.

Cookee, very unscientifically, I saw a picture of the 3011 chassis and assumed it was that! So it really could have been a 3012 or 3013?? Too late now, I have the body shell for the 3011.

Dr. Eisenbahn, I have enjoyed your posts on this and other forums and thanks for the generous offer.

For those of you who don't know Paul, he is an excellent source for obscure vintage Marklin bits and pieces and has helped me with other projects.
Thanks All.
Thom
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2011 20:50:25(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Dr. Eisenbahn, I have enjoyed your posts on this and other forums and thanks for the generous offer.

You are quite welcome, but I do get quite a lot of satisfaction myself, as it is so true that the more you know...the more you discover you don't know much!! Cool
Now: 3011 or SET for the scan? Single or double pick up?
Lights on both sides?
My scanner is ready...Wink
Cheers
Offline seatrains  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2011 21:11:51(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
It has a single pickup with lights on both ends. Thank you.
Thom
Offline hennabm  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2011 21:54:51(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   

Do you want them?
Cheers

Thank you for the offer.Yes please. I will PM you.BigGrin BigGrin
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2011 09:47:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Cookee

The SET had two (small) separate pick up shoes and light fixture on one end only.
The 3011 has a single (regular) pick up shoe, in the middle of the chassis and lights on both ends
Cheers

Hi Jacques,

I'm always pleased when I learn something new, through all the years of looking at pictures of the SET 800 / 3011, I never noticed the two small pickup shoes on the early model - even though it's very clear. Funny how the mind can fool you into seeing what you 'expect' to see. But it did at least solve for me the version of mine, which I had though was an SET 800 but with the single centre pickup must be a early 3011.

But I am puzzled about your comment about having lights only at one end - would this be the SE 800 only, and not the SET 800, does one end just have 'dummy' (painted) lights? (can't say I've ever seen one, Dave/John, do we have one in the Museum?)

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2011 10:21:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'll have to check. The Museum is a bit 'buried' at the moment.
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2011 11:35:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Hi Jacques,

I'm always pleased when I learn something new, through all the years of looking at pictures of the SET 800 / 3011, I never noticed the two small pickup shoes on the early model - even though it's very clear. Funny how the mind can fool you into seeing what you 'expect' to see. But it did at least solve for me the version of mine, which I had though was an SET 800 but with the single centre pickup must be a early 3011.

But I am puzzled about your comment about having lights only at one end - would this be the SE 800 only, and not the SET 800, does one end just have 'dummy' (painted) lights? (can't say I've ever seen one, Dave/John, do we have one in the Museum?)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve
Pick up in center = SET/3011, no problem.
SE only had light only on one end + dual pick-ups you are correct
The SE 800 ( and RES, SEW, SEWH ) had indeed a different body, with openings for the lights only on one end.
I can post pics of the SE and the RES, but I traded my SEW and SEWH a couple of years ago.
So I'll scan the SET/3011 pages for you.
Send me your email address by PM.
After you looked at it you'll be able to determine what's still missing on your "project" BigGrin
Thanks
Offline seatrains  
#19 Posted : 08 February 2011 05:03:48(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Thanks for the 3011 scan Dr. Eisenbahn, much appreciated.
Thom
Offline hennabm  
#20 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:40:59(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Well this thread has certaintly been useful to me so far and will lead to the return of a 348/1 to the rails.BigGrin BigGrin

I will go and look in my odds box and see if there are any items that may help other users.Wink
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Webmaster  
#21 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:44:06(UTC)
Webmaster

I have a 6051 Digital interface that I know I will never use again...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline dntower85  
#22 Posted : 21 February 2011 22:46:02(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I may not have any orphan marklin items other than field coils and reversing units, but I may have a few Faller, Vollmer, and Kibre kits that I may never use.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#23 Posted : 28 February 2011 05:40:01(UTC)
GG1 Fan

I've got one.....

I call him: Naked Man

UserPostedImage

It was part of a lot of used trains my dad bought in the 70's. He never had a cover (cloths) and never will. I don't know who he is, where he came from, nor why he's naked.

But, like that 'invisable man' science set from the 70's, I can see and show others what the inner workings of an electric model train look like.

Any ideas on identity of my Naked Man would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Offline cookee_nz  
#24 Posted : 28 February 2011 06:37:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GG1 Fan Go to Quoted Post
I've got one.....

UserPostedImage

It was part of a lot of used trains my dad bought in the 70's. He never had a cover (cloths) and never will. I don't know who he is, where he came from, nor why he's naked.

But, like that 'invisable man' science set from the 70's, I can see and show others what the inner workings of an electric model train look like.

Regards

Woah that's a good one, and that's one chunky reverse mechanism, bet that sucker never fails.

Let's start the timer to see how long it takes one of the guru's to identify it?

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 28 February 2011 06:46:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Well for a start it is 3 rail but what gauge?

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline jvuye  
#26 Posted : 28 February 2011 07:20:16(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I've got one.....

UserPostedImage

Regards

Mmmmh?
Looks like TRIX Express to me.
I may even have a body for it!
Let me dig it out and post a pic.
Offline Markus Schild  
#27 Posted : 28 February 2011 13:09:30(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

This is my contribution:

UserPostedImage

Just a middle-car for the Rheinuferbahn from Marklin. Okay, it's a replica by TWERENBOLD, Switzerland but still an impressive and very heavy model.
I never gave up the hope to get the other cars. too. But my wife always decided for a new car instead. ;-)

Regards

Markus

Offline GG1 Fan  
#28 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:03:20(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Thanks for the info on 'Naked Man'.

He is 3 rail, and HO. Since his clothed brother is a Trix Express from the early 50's, I'd say Trix Express is the likely candidate.

I will have to keep this thread secret from him. He might start to demand some cloths and start talking about Model Loco rights and all. BigGrin

It has been fun to show the neighbors and friends who have come over to see my reincarnated Marlin setup what an electric train looks like on the inside. Nice vintage '50's' look to it too.BigGrin

Does anyone know what those two knobs at the center do? They twist around, so they must have a function.

Thanks all

Paul
Offline nevw  
#29 Posted : 28 February 2011 21:55:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Paul,
I believe that they are the Brush Holders. Could be wrong and often are.

NEv
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline GG1 Fan  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2011 03:16:29(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Thanks Nev,
I believe you are correct. I messed around with them today and unscrewed on of them, lo and behold, inside were tiny copper springs. I guess that was the 1950's way of making it easy to access and replace the burshings.

Paul
Offline jvuye  
#31 Posted : 01 March 2011 06:33:48(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks Nev,
I believe you are correct. I messed around with them today and unscrewed on of them, lo and behold, inside were tiny copper springs. I guess that was the 1950's way of making it easy to access and replace the burshings.
Paul

Yes, quite correct.
Märklin was using a similar set up, starting in 1935, in fact *following* TRIX' lead in creating an HO gauge range.
It would be interesting to see how the "clothed" Trix Express looks like, underneath.
We could at least have a feel whether the body I have here corresponds (looks a bit like an RS 790)
Cheers
Offline xxup  
#32 Posted : 01 March 2011 06:40:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
...But my wife always decided for a new car instead. ;-)

Yep.. I have the same problem... It is not to say that I don't like the new car, but it does limit opportunity to do other things... RollEyes

Nice wagon too.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline simonchuff  
#33 Posted : 11 March 2011 15:12:28(UTC)
simonchuff

Joining in the fray!
I have aquired a rather care worn 3028 class 515 battery railcar. However it is missing the plastic surround that stops the power bogie rising up too far into the body away from the guides. I believe the part required is 786190(with a 227510 retaining screw - which is also missing). Can anyone out there help this poor orphan go round corners - instead of just in straight lines!

Simon Haynes
Watlington
Offline jvuye  
#34 Posted : 11 March 2011 15:31:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: simonchuff Go to Quoted Post
Joining in the fray!
I have aquired a rather care worn 3028 class 515 battery railcar. However it is missing the plastic surround that stops the power bogie rising up too far into the body away from the guides. I believe the part required is 786190(with a 227510 retaining screw - which is also missing). Can anyone out there help this poor orphan go round corners - instead of just in straight lines!

Simon Haynes
Watlington

Hi Simon
Not sure exactly what you are talking about...Wink
Can you post a picture or point to a part on "exploded view" drawing...

Do you mean part n° 33 on this diagram? Confused

http://www.maerklin.de/s...r.php?artikelnummer=3028

Just kiddin...!!!Laugh

I checked for you:
These parts are available from Märklin, just order them from your dealer.
The screw is about 0.80€, the plate is less than 5.00€

Good luck!

Cheers
Offline simonchuff  
#35 Posted : 14 March 2011 11:07:24(UTC)
simonchuff

Thank yoy Dr!

the parts are indeed 33 & 34 on your diagramme - will contact mission control.....

Simon
Offline hennabm  
#36 Posted : 21 March 2011 16:27:35(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Although I have a wanted request in the sales section, maybe I may get some response from the excellent people here BigGrin

What I am looking for is a decent box for a 4017 as I now have an excellent example of one to finish my rake of 4015 and 4016 Swiss lightweight coaches and my newly purchased 3050BigGrin BigGrin
I now need a box to finish the whole ensemble and I will be proud of the set.

So please check your lofts, cellars etc for a stray 4017 box for me please!!!!

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline cookee_nz  
#37 Posted : 21 March 2011 21:13:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Although I have a wanted request in the sales section, maybe I may get some response from the excellent people here BigGrin

What I am looking for is a decent box for a 4017 as I now have an excellent example of one to finish my rake of 4015 and 4016 Swiss lightweight coaches and my newly purchased 3050BigGrin BigGrin
I now need a box to finish the whole ensemble and I will be proud of the set.

So please check your lofts, cellars etc for a stray 4017 box for me please!!!!

If that fails, there are also options for replica boxes, or methods to make your own to at least make it 'look' like it's packed.

http://www.3rotaie.it/3r...tola_Replica.htm#English (this was also posted here back in '99)

A friend of mine (Rex Trye) back in NZ had a go at this and got surprisingly good results, he sent me one of his boxes as a surprise right down to the label and orange/brown tape and it's jolly good - would fool anyone at first glance but looks great in with the original ones.

These kind of projects are wonderful in the wintertime or wet nights/weekends.

Good luck

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline hennabm  
#38 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:12:00(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Steve

thanks for the link. Certainly worth doing as I have nothing at the moment and although not the correct box, it will give it better protection than it has now.BigGrin
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Jim Fitzgerald  
#39 Posted : 28 March 2011 00:05:00(UTC)
Jim Fitzgerald

Hello

I have this crane boom and no base, If interested let me know
Jim Fitzgerald attached the following image(s):
Crane.jpg
Crane2.jpg
Offline ricky  
#40 Posted : 08 June 2011 01:53:26(UTC)
ricky

Sorry to be late... Anybody still watching this thread??

I have a CCS800 instruction leaflet, without the CCS800 (would prefer to be the opposite!! BigGrin )

Always hoped to buy a CCS800 to complement the leaflet, but seems out of reach now, and even outer day by day!!

I am thinking about selling the leaflet actually, because it has been sleeping in an envelope for dozens of years.
Unless I win the lottery!! And then I can buy the CCS800!! Oh wait, if I win the lottery, I can afford to buy the leaflet as well! BigGrin

Cheers,
Ricky.
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#41 Posted : 08 June 2011 01:55:06(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello Ricky,

Would it be possible to post a picture of the CCS 800 leaflet.

I might be interested in buying the leaflet from you or selling you a CCS 800 to go with your leaflet (if you're interested).

Best regards,

Paul
Offline ricky  
#42 Posted : 08 June 2011 05:00:56(UTC)
ricky

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Ricky,

Would it be possible to post a picture of the CCS 800 leaflet.

I might be interested in buying the leaflet from you or selling you a CCS 800 to go with your leaflet (if you're interested).

Best regards,

Paul

Hello Paul,

Sure, but I'll have to find it first! I do not know in which envelope I put it a while ago, and I have many envelopes containing all kinds of stuff!! Confused

Meanwhile, if I remember correctly, it shows a pic of a CCS800 with a type 5 pantograph, and is written in three languages.

As for buying a CCS800, my pockets are not deep enough now, but I'll tell you when I win the lottery!!

Regards,
Ricky.
Offline cookee_nz  
#43 Posted : 14 June 2011 10:24:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ricky Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to be late... Anybody still watching this thread??

I have a CCS800 instruction leaflet, without the CCS800 (would prefer to be the opposite!! BigGrin )

Always hoped to buy a CCS800 to complement the leaflet, but seems out of reach now, and even outer day by day!!

I am thinking about selling the leaflet actually, because it has been sleeping in an envelope for dozens of years.
Unless I win the lottery!! And then I can buy the CCS800!! Oh wait, if I win the lottery, I can afford to buy the leaflet as well! BigGrin

Cheers,
Ricky.

G'day Ricky,

Old threads never die, they just get more interesting!

I think there would be a few people (myself included) who would like a scan of that leaflet for their archives, we need to preserve history and references like this whenever we can.

Do you have a scanner?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline ricky  
#44 Posted : 17 June 2011 18:28:34(UTC)
ricky

Hello Steve,

yes, I do have a scanner. I was out of town for a few days, and I now have to find the leaflet. This will be my project to use my free time, I promise!

Be back soon I hope!

Cheers,
Ricky Smile
Offline ricky  
#45 Posted : 21 June 2011 19:02:12(UTC)
ricky

Ok, found it (the CCS800 instructions leaflet), at last!!!

Here it is (attached.) Each page is A4 format, so when it is open the format is 59.4cm x 21cm. Note that the color of the paper is not correctly rendered by the scanner, it is actually "old yellow"/light brown, like old newspaper. Unfortunately it has been folded pretty hard, so much that it made a hole in the center of the pages, as well as in between pages 2 and 3.

By the way I love the "true-to-scale" statement, we all know that it was much bigger than 1/87. Wink

For us who are not lucky enough to own a CCS800: note the 4 switch positions (page 1), interesting feature long before the digital era! Wink

Cheers,
Ricky Smile
ricky attached the following image(s):
ccs800 instructions 1.jpg
ccs800 instructions 2.jpg
ccs800 instructions 3.jpg
ccs800 instructions 4.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ricky
Offline hennabm  
#46 Posted : 21 June 2011 21:40:58(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Ricky

seems like the earlier loks had the four positions due to the design of the reverse mechanism. Cool
I recently purchased a CM800 BR89. At first I could't work out why it just stood there when pressing the reverse once. On the second press it then went off in the direction. and so on.
It's down to the cylinder used for the reversing. ThumpUp
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline cookee_nz  
#47 Posted : 21 June 2011 23:50:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ricky Go to Quoted Post
Ok, found it (the CCS800 instructions leaflet), at last!!!

Here it is (attached.) Each page is A4 format, so when it is open the format is 59.4cm x 21cm. Note that the color of the paper is not correctly rendered by the scanner, it is actually "old yellow"/light brown, like old newspaper. Unfortunately it has been folded pretty hard, so much that it made a hole in the center of the pages, as well as in between pages 2 and 3.

By the way I love the "true-to-scale" statement, we all know that it was much bigger than 1/87. Wink

For us who are not lucky enough to own a CCS800: note the 4 switch positions (page 1), interesting feature long before the digital era! Wink

Cheers,
Ricky Smile

Hi Ricky,

Excellant, very good quality scans thanks so much. I don't (yet) own one of those beasts but it makes very interesting reading all the same. And you scanned straight - extra attention to detail!!

Re the Reverse unit, the design allowed for the usual reversing, as well as the operation of Telex independently. A side 'feature' for loco's not equipped with Telex is that the 'neutral' position meant you could leave the loco on the layout and the headlights would usually still work without the train moving. It would have been an expensive unit to produce however which is why it was probably discontinued. It's also more fiddly to adjust and maintain but when it works and if it's looked after they work exceptionally well.

Thanks again

Cookee
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Markus Schild  
#48 Posted : 22 June 2011 23:31:22(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   

seems like the earlier loks had the four positions due to the design of the reverse mechanism. Cool

Hi,

Marklin needed that four-step reverser to avoid a patent infringement. TRIX holded some patents for 2-step reversers which cut the motor from the power-supply while switching. So Marklin introduced the step "stop with lights" as an intermidate step. These old reversers don't switch off the motor while switching, so the locomotive always "jumps" a little bit while switching.
Reversers without that step were introduced by Marklin in the late 1950s, when the TRIX-patents were outdated.

Regards

Markus
Offline ricky  
#49 Posted : 23 June 2011 04:25:57(UTC)
ricky

very good quality scans thanks so much.

Thanks Cookee! Smile

And you scanned straight - extra attention to detail!!

It's because I'm a nerd!! LOL LOL LOL

Cheers,
Ricky. Smile
Offline Soest  
#50 Posted : 23 June 2011 18:49:01(UTC)
Soest

Anybody got a 3652 instruction leaflet that they can scan?
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.