Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#51 Posted : 06 January 2018 22:31:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
BUMP

This was an interesting topic at the time but we've many new members since and perhaps some new stories to hear?

Hi all - here's a thread with a difference that I hope a few of you will enjoy....

We all (well, many of us at least) have them.

'ORPHAN ITEMS'

What do I mean, well here's some examples.....

* - A tender without a loco (or vice-versa)
* - An instruction leaflet that you don't own the item for
* - One portion of a larger item or set
* - A Coach/Wagon without a Roof/Wheels and vice-versa (spare wheels don't count)
* - A box without an item to go in it (items without boxes don't count either because EVERYONE has those)
** very old starter-set boxes (red or very early blue) are definitely in as these can be fun and hard to make complete again get finding examples of everything that would have been originally with it.

I'm sure you get my drift. And you hang on to whatever it is, because "one day" whatever else you need might just turn up. Ever the optimist.

This started at least two more threads....

https://www.marklin-user...tem--No-more---366-crane

https://www.marklin-user...67_4015-restoration.aspx

Let's hear some more of them....

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kiwiAlan  
#52 Posted : 07 January 2018 00:18:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hah, hadn't come across this thread before, it is from before my time on this forum ...

I have a steam loco chassis that I acquired courtesy of my father from his days of doing Marklin repairs. I think it is a Da800/3015 chassis but has no body or tender. I can't recall how complete it is, I'll have to dig it out and see.

Offline RayF  
#53 Posted : 07 January 2018 11:35:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have at least three wagon sets which are only part complete, due to having bought them from a dealer who split the sets.

I plan to make it my mission this year to acquire the missing wagons if possible.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Dennis H.  
#54 Posted : 21 January 2018 15:17:49(UTC)
Dennis H.

United States   
I'm one that more likely has a collection of orphan items that I would like turn into complete items or just plan to be able to use those parts later. For Marklin, I 've got an RV12890 steeple cab electric that is well, just a shell. I've also got a few cars with no roof such as an 18760 baggage car from 1932 or so. Great car otherwise. I've also got an F800 with no tender and missing a couple of drive wheels that I'd like to put back together in the future. Unfortunately, my work on it list is more like a scroll and a list and the F800 is way down. Maybe I should just say I many times buy orphaned items with the intention of completing them later.
Dennis H.
If it's old and broken, I like it
Offline Dave Banks  
#55 Posted : 22 January 2018 01:08:48(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well this is one that needs to be married up:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
Offline DaleSchultz  
#56 Posted : 22 January 2018 03:09:39(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
bank notes in wallet...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Dave Banks  
#57 Posted : 22 January 2018 21:59:25(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Dale I would love to sell it but to date I cannot find the loco it really belongs to. The thing that has me stumped is the black chassis. The match to that tender has a red chassis so where does this one come from?
She really is an orphan so sadly no bank notes in the wallet Confused

D.A.Banks
Offline DaleSchultz  
#58 Posted : 22 January 2018 23:34:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
ha Dave, I was not making an offer, I was replying to the post, I have an orphan wallet missing bank notes....
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Br502362  
#59 Posted : 23 January 2018 11:50:24(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Dale I would love to sell it but to date I cannot find the loco it really belongs to. The thing that has me stumped is the black chassis. The match to that tender has a red chassis so where does this one come from?
She really is an orphan so sadly no bank notes in the wallet Confused

Hi,

The loco is from starter kit 29857.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cheers

Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Dave Banks  
#60 Posted : 24 January 2018 09:36:32(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well that definitely puts Dale's wallet & my unique tender in the orphan category.
D.A.Banks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline dominator  
#61 Posted : 24 January 2018 11:06:38(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Stick it behind an old BR24.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Michael4  
#62 Posted : 24 January 2018 16:40:15(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Looking for some sort of swaps maybe. This older rolling stock is not really much use to me and I don't collect. I have nothing to pull it either.

Eight wagons, I think no boxes:

UserPostedImageDSC02049 by dralowid, on Flickr

Three coaches, boxes, relevant broken bits of bogies but nothing else in the picture. They have nasty plastic modern bogies of some unknown make on them at the moment.

UserPostedImageDSC02053 by dralowid, on Flickr

What am I looking for? Preferably tin/metal '50s or '60s rolling stock (coaches 3xx/x etc) or even a loco. Nothing perfect, just useable.

Offline Pmare4  
#63 Posted : 24 January 2018 23:05:11(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Michael, I might be able to help you with a swap for those items. Give me a few days and I can PM you with what I have.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#64 Posted : 25 January 2018 17:48:44(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Great cars and coaches there from the late 1930s....I see a rare 351 SB too!

Paul
Offline Michael4  
#65 Posted : 25 January 2018 23:26:54(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Thanks, I've had a few enquiries and will scan/photograph them in better detail over the next few days. I had also better explain what I would like to swap them for, must not involve money, that would be against the spirit of things!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline cookee_nz  
#66 Posted : 26 January 2018 03:41:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, I've had a few enquiries and will scan/photograph them in better detail over the next few days. I had also better explain what I would like to swap them for, must not involve money, that would be against the spirit of things!

Lol, that might come down to who spins the best yarn for having the "greatest need'" Wub

It's virtually in the same category of the so-called 'LHP' pricing (Love of Hearts) where even the talk of actual money may seem crass or just out of place. Two like-minded people trading 'perceived' value where an old and seemingly worthless vintage wagon gets traded for a far more modern Loco, or other accessory and both fill the exact same hole in each other's collection.

Would not be the first time an item has changed hands on the basis of going to a new good home where it might complete an existing collection or perhaps be restored in a manner beyond the capability or resources of the current owner, or just simply being used and played with. The whole concept of 'giving' is the pleasure and satisfaction the gifter may get in knowing the joy the recipient will experience. Anyone who's given a child a begged-for (toy, book, game, whatever) will know this feeling Laugh

I've had a similar experience on this very forum myself and it's not always about money so I'm certainly looking forward to hearing what you have in mind for a swap or other 'inducement'.

Sadly being all the way down here in the deep South Pacific precludes joining in such things if for no other reason than the high costs of postage.

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Dennis H.  
#67 Posted : 26 January 2018 05:39:10(UTC)
Dennis H.

United States   
It is a nice pile of cars. If I didn't still have my ho stuff put away, I'd be pestering you about them too. Drool
Dennis H.
Offline Dennis H.  
#68 Posted : 26 January 2018 05:41:49(UTC)
Dennis H.

United States   
So here is the RV66 12890 shell I have... anyone have a motor mount for this that they don't need?

Dennis H.
Offline Michael4  
#69 Posted : 18 March 2018 17:41:42(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

Lol, that might come down to who spins the best yarn for having the "greatest need'" Wub

It's virtually in the same category of the so-called 'LHP' pricing (Love of Hearts) where even the talk of actual money may seem crass or just out of place. Two like-minded people trading 'perceived' value where an old and seemingly worthless vintage wagon gets traded for a far more modern Loco, or other accessory and both fill the exact same hole in each other's collection.

Would not be the first time an item has changed hands on the basis of going to a new good home where it might complete an existing collection or perhaps be restored in a manner beyond the capability or resources of the current owner, or just simply being used and played with. The whole concept of 'giving' is the pleasure and satisfaction the gifter may get in knowing the joy the recipient will experience. Anyone who's given a child a begged-for (toy, book, game, whatever) will know this feeling Laugh

I've had a similar experience on this very forum myself and it's not always about money so I'm certainly looking forward to hearing what you have in mind for a swap or other 'inducement'.

Sadly being all the way down here in the deep South Pacific precludes joining in such things if for no other reason than the high costs of postage.

Steve
NZ

I'm pleased to report that a very polite and gentlemanly swap has taken place and both parties are pleased with the result. So with a bit of patience and understanding it works.

Michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Webmaster  
#70 Posted : 20 March 2018 20:52:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Kind of shows the true intended spirit with the forum - to help eachother out, and to meet guys you wouldn't have known about without it... Smile ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]