Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#151 Posted : 04 October 2009 12:05:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Sigh...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline mvd71  
#152 Posted : 04 October 2009 12:09:11(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Sorry Goofy, but I don't really see your point.
Offline nevw  
#153 Posted : 04 October 2009 13:11:00(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mvd71
<br />Sorry Goofy, but I don't really see your point.

He's talking about a completely different subject than you.

"USP" has nothing to do with the controller; it's a specific decoder feature, namely used by Lenz in particular for their scale 0 models (just some longer energy supply by an additional power/battery module).

PS: The personal junk of peterail and nevw has nothing to do with ZIMO and this thread; simply ignore them.

RC
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#154 Posted : 04 October 2009 14:49:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
read for yourself and see if anything is of any interest to you or you think this system is more advanced than others.

Highlights from Zimo:

The following pages you won't find anything that is today considered a "digital standard", such as 128 speed steps, 10000 addresses, load compensation (BEMF) etc. but rather features which distinguish ZIMO from all others that make up the rest of the DCC market.

ZIMO loco decoders, of course, can be used with any NMRA compatible system.

. . . Realistic railway operation with "signal controlled speed influence"

Imagine, trains are running according to a timetable, obeying all traffic signals and rules. They find the way automatically in to your station to their assigned station platform track and stop for the length of time allotted to them. Some trains may not stop at all in your station on their journey to a far off destination. Once they leave your station they find their way back to their place in a hidden station until their time is up to visit your station again. This all happens in the "back ground" while you concentrate on putting a goods train together with your favorite switcher engine.

This kind of prototypical operation is possible with ZIMO's "signal controlled speed influence". It will limit speeds, slow down or stop trains on any part of a layout, automatically. Every train will respond to these commands. And yet you can still work as an engineer on any train and operate the engine in manual mode. It is now your responsibility to obey traffic lights and operate in a safe manner. It can't get any closer to realism than this !

You can finally operate your whole layout by yourself or for visitors without the help of your operating crew.

There are different ways used by other manufacturers to achieve this. They all fall short of realistic operations. Here is why:

The "conventional" method:

The power to the track section belonging to the red signal is switched off.
Disadvantages: Lights are off (also sound, etc), no control over train in a speed limit or stop section and no prototypical smooth stops and starts.

The computerized method:

The actual position for all trains is calculated at all times by a computer; the speed influence is made via normal commands.
Disadvantages: Computer and a lot of associated equipment (occupancy detectors, etc.) distributed all over the whole layout is necessary right from the beginning; no unrestricted (manual) operation of trains possible, as computer would lose track of the trains position.

The brake generator method:

In certain track sections the digital control information is replaced by broadcast commands that only contain speed information.
Disadvantages: No control over trains in a stop section via cab; complicated setup to avoid bridging the gap (both-rail) between sections by locos and cars.

And then there is ZIMO´s only "signal controlled speed influence":

Speed limit bits (stop and 5 speed steps) are fed into the data stream, which do not replace the individual loco instructions coming from the cabs. So all disadvantages mentioned above can be avoided and some good features are added:

Full control over headlights and other loco functions (steam, sound, etc.) is maintained at all times, even when stopped at a red signal and on sections with restricted speed,

Overriding the signal controlled stop or speed limit is possible from the cab with the special "MAN" key, individual for each engine !

Acceleration and deceleration of locos is adjustable on an individual basis (by special configuration variables which are added to the normal NMRA set, found only in ZIMO decoders).

Bridging the isolation gap between adjacent track sections does not cause short circuits or indefinable conditions.

Only one rail needs to be cut and isolated (blocks).

It is an economical method, too: no additional hardware is needed within the decoders, and rather simple electronic circuitry in the MX9 track section module allows the setting of speed limits to track sections. "Signal controlled speed influence" can be achieved with or without a computer.

For a computer controlled layout the "STP" software takes advantage of this special ZIMO feature: The computer has no need to trace train numbers across the layout. No control commands are issued directly to any loco decoder; instead trains are controlled via track sections. An extra benefit to this method: manually driven trains as well as lifting an engine from one part of the layout to another is recognized automatically. Up to 9 computers may be connected to the same layout, should your layout grow that big !

Automatic block control using track section module MX9 with or without computer:
MX9

Automatischer Blockbetrieb mit dem Gleisabschnitts-Modul MX9 - wahlweise system-autonom (ohne Computer), oder unter Computersteuerung.

. . . "location dependent function control"

A feature similar to the signal controlled speed influence. MX9 track section modules and MX68 function decoder together are in control of:

Selected function outputs of Zimo function decoders on predefined locations (track sections) in the layout. For example: An engine may blow its whistle at station entry or the coach lights come on automatically before entering a tunnel.
"And", "or" and "not and" combinations are possible for controlling function outputs directly.

ZIMO loco decoders will have this feature added later.

Automatically programs the secondary address of the function decoder to the loco decoder. E.g. to "connect" all lighted coaches of a train to the loco presently pulling the train.

. . . the ZIMO train number recognition

Each loco decoder acknowledges every command it received.

Plug-in boards in the track section modules identify the train number and its position on the layout.

Train numbers are displayed on a display module or a computer using STP software.

RailCom = "Bi-directional communication"

This new method of sending data through the track from the loco decoder to the command station or computer is being standardized by the NMRA during 2005. This will allow decoders and systems of different manufacturers to communicate with each other. One of the main purposes of this is to have a decoder confirm or acknowledge the receipt of a command issued by the command station (e.g. on the fly programming of configuration variables) and to locate the identified train number on the layout. This information can be used to automatically stop trains at specific locations on the layout, route trains through stations etc.

ZIMO uses these functions for years already (see above) but can now, with the help of the NMRA standardized "bi-directional communication", be combined with decoders and systems of other manufacturers (provided they implement them).

ZIMO is part of this from day one. The MX62, MX63, MX64, MX69, MX82 decoders are equipped with "bidirectional communication". Decoders sold before 2007 contain the hardware only but its software can be updated later also by the user with the Decoder update device MXDECUP. The time of implementation is depending on the success of the standardization at NMRA.

CAN Bus

One of the most important part of a DCC system is the data link (the "Bus") between the system components like command stations, cabs, modules for feedback information, etc. The differences among the systems in this respect are not that important when starting with a DCC application, but they will be crucial when expanding the control system.

Well-known bus systems are the X-Bus (used by Lenz, Arnold), the Loconet (used by Digitrax), the NCE-Bus (used by Wangrow/RamTraxx), and the CAN-Bus (used by ZIMO/STP).

The ZIMO CAN-Bus is probably the most powerful and reliable data link used in model railroad control today. It works as a Local Area Network (LAN) with multi-master capability; there is no time consuming polling by a central device.

HIGHEST SPEED (115 kbit/s):

This is more than any of the rival systems offer. Although a bus with lower speed would be sufficient if used as cab bus only, the ZIMO CAN-Bus shows its superior performance if, for example, hundreds of occupancy detectors and loco number identification boards have to transmit continually changing information to a computer (or to several computers). Thanks to this high performance, the ZIMO system doesn't need any separate cab and feedback buses. All data transmission is done within one network.

HIGHEST RELIABILITY:

The CAN-Bus hardware and software protocol is widely used in industrial, automotive and medical applications. The physical layer is similar to the well-known RS-485 standard, but with special capabilities in order to handle heavy traffic efficiently. Extensive automatic error recognition and correction are included in the CAN protocol.

EASY WIRING FOR MOST APPLICATIONS:

Only in cases of very large cable lengths (up to several hundred meters, about 1000 feet) should the CAN-BUS be installed as a "linear terminated bus" with resistors placed at both ends of the network, which means wiring point to point rather than a tree with branches. In most applications, up to 16ft. (50 m) but more likely up to 32ft (100 m), trees and branches are allowed without any restrictions.

EASY TO WIRE:

The ZIMO CAN-Bus uses 6 pin Telephone type connectors and cable. The CAN-Bus itself only needs 2 wires; other wires carry power for cabs and modules and various "grounds". CAN-Bus cables in various lengths are available from ZIMO. Alternatively, you can make your own cables by means of a special mounting tool (available from ZIMO or local electronic store). This is recommended for larger layouts (wiring of accessory modules, track section modules, etc.) in order to avoid waiting on shipments (and of course it is cheaper, too).

MAY 2006
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline davemr  
#155 Posted : 04 October 2009 15:05:21(UTC)
davemr

Help John. Somebody with useful information and no junk from LH but wait fir it its coming point by point.

Off on holiday now must get to the beach before the Germans lol 9Long stabding joke which will be taken the wrong way by one member but who cares.

My CS2 is still the greatest ... sorry Goofy but I do respect your views.
and sorry to Juhan but even when I am on holiday it will still all carry on ..never mind we really are nice guys. (yep even LH)

davemr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#156 Posted : 05 October 2009 14:16:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Found this comment about Zimo at http://www.mrrailnet.com...&id=78&Itemid=43

"ZIMO - www.zimo.at

The "Rolls Royce" of the digital systems. Disadvantage is that it's expensive - yet you get a lot for the money! A DCC-system and one of few having feedback-units where engines can be uniquely identified."
Offline Goofy  
#157 Posted : 05 October 2009 17:11:06(UTC)
Goofy

Don´t forget MM too from ZIMO!

Smile
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline john black  
#158 Posted : 06 October 2009 18:29:01(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Sigh ...

Tough job you got, there. Glad I'm no webmaster ... biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Goofy  
#159 Posted : 06 October 2009 22:24:23(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
<br />Sigh ...

Tough job you got, there. Glad I'm no webmaster ... biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

The results to argue against ZIMO! [}:)]

Cool
H0
Offline RayF  
#160 Posted : 06 October 2009 22:46:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You know what, it doesn't matter how tremedously advanced Zimo may or may not be. Just a look at the controller instantly puts me off.

At the moment I'm happy to plod along with my 6021. At some point, though, I might be interested in something more sophisticated. I think if I had to choose from what is available at the moment, it would be Marklin's CS2. Zimo's antiquated "TV remote" style controller would be my last choice.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Webmaster  
#161 Posted : 06 October 2009 23:16:13(UTC)
Webmaster

Off-topic:

John, sometimes the webmastery has its good times too... Sometimes...Cool

My conclusions on life in the mrr-world:

1 - Zimo is good, so is CS2.
2 - Zimo is ugly, CS2 looks good.
3 - Zimo is better at DCC, CS2 is better if you are an M purist.
4 - Both are capable of DCC & MM protocols. So both can run trains of both worlds...
5 - CS2 supports the proprietary mfx stuff goodies while Zimo supports the equivalents in DCC format.
6 - 6021 is still a solid digital MM controller, and Intellibox can do the same thing as Zimo with the MM protocol.
7 - For those who don't care about digital, AC (or DC) will do fine to run trains the way it has been done since the dinosaur era, also with the new digital loks...
8 - Many don't give a hoot about digital and are happy without it.
9 - Many are happy with their choice of digital system and defend it fiercely.
10 - The main thing is to have fun with the trains, and to be able to argue a little in a forum to release some frustrations not really connected to model trains...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#162 Posted : 06 October 2009 23:29:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You got it in a nutshell, Juhan!
Offline john black  
#163 Posted : 06 October 2009 23:56:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
What nutshell. We just got Big J's ten commandments ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Goofy  
#164 Posted : 07 October 2009 00:45:26(UTC)
Goofy

Exactly...!
But don´t argue against ZIMO anyway,when i try to presentation about news from ZIMO!
I´m myself an neutral hobbiest of train,so i welcome any digitalsystem so long as they works perfect for both DCC and or MM.
It´s to have fun that counts...!!!
Right,Juhan...???

biggrin
H0
Offline mvd71  
#165 Posted : 07 October 2009 10:54:05(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:It´s to have fun that counts...!!!

That's right Goofy, and a little joke toobiggrin

Cheers....

Mike.

P.S. Goofy, Could you please change the channel on my CS2 with your Zimo!biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline RayF  
#166 Posted : 07 October 2009 11:06:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Goofy  
#167 Posted : 07 October 2009 20:01:17(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:It´s to have fun that counts...!!!

That's right Goofy, and a little joke toobiggrin

Cheers....

Mike.

P.S. Goofy, Could you please change the channel on my CS2 with your Zimo!biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

So you need ZIMO after all...???
Then in case...buy one!!!

biggrinCool
H0
Offline mvd71  
#168 Posted : 08 October 2009 11:54:56(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:So you need ZIMO after all...???

Can I borrow yours? I just want to get BBC's latest edition of Top Gear, then you can have it back. I promise!biggrin

Cheers.....

Mike.biggrin
Offline Goofy  
#169 Posted : 12 October 2009 19:21:29(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:So you need ZIMO after all...???

Can I borrow yours? I just want to get BBC's latest edition of Top Gear, then you can have it back. I promise!biggrin

Cheers.....

Mike.biggrin

You can shop and buy one ZIMO yourself!

Smile
H0
Offline Goofy  
#170 Posted : 12 October 2009 19:23:55(UTC)
Goofy

Latest news!

ZIMO new digitalsystem will been soon arrived to Sweden at beginning of december!

Smile
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#171 Posted : 12 October 2009 19:42:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are you buying one, Goofy?
Offline Goofy  
#172 Posted : 12 October 2009 22:26:13(UTC)
Goofy

Maybe...
If not less Ecos 50200 has been arrived out before...
It says that both system comes out at december!

Which is best to choise...?

H0
Offline Webmaster  
#173 Posted : 12 October 2009 22:33:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Goofy, suddenly you are hesitating... Wasn't Zimo the best?
Offline Goofy  
#174 Posted : 12 October 2009 22:47:46(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />Goofy, suddenly you are hesitating... Wasn't Zimo the best?

Yes...they are!
ZIMO are "Rolls Royce" digitalsystem!
No doubt about that!
I´m thinking at prices of system... [:I]

Smile
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#175 Posted : 12 October 2009 22:59:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Goofy, is the 50200 the same as the current Ecos/CS1 Reloaded, but with a colour screen? I guess if you like the Ecos, then the 50200 might be alright for you.

The Zimo system might cost 2 or 3 times more.
Offline Webmaster  
#176 Posted : 12 October 2009 23:16:30(UTC)
Webmaster

Now I suddenly wonder what Zimo can do that the EcOS can't?

I mean, practically driving trains and a layout as a "system", not the support of exotic buses & protocols and such. The ESU solution also has handhelds and other accessories...
Offline Goofy  
#177 Posted : 13 October 2009 00:38:31(UTC)
Goofy

Perhaps i should forget about ZIMO then in case...?
I suggest to wait until systems has arrived out to the market.
I belive that Ecos new 50200 with colour will become more sucess than ZIMO.
Because of the prices at digitalsystem.
Yes...ZIMO will cost much more than Ecos!

H0
Offline john black  
#178 Posted : 14 October 2009 00:03:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Goofy
<br />I belive that Ecos new 50200 with colour will become more sucess than ZIMO.

Very good - one can see a prolonged discussion brings new insights Smile[:p]Cool
And only a schmuck will say our topics were not serious ... biggrin[}:)]

Offline tekin65  
#179 Posted : 14 October 2009 00:14:25(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />And only a schmuck will say our topics were not serious ... biggrin[}:)]

There, there, now John ... why call him a schmuck? He's just ... well, "special" biggrin

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Goofy  
#180 Posted : 14 October 2009 00:42:01(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />I belive that Ecos new 50200 with colour will become more sucess than ZIMO.

Very good - one can see a prolonged discussion brings new insights Smile[:p]Cool
And only a schmuck will say our topics were not serious ... biggrin[}:)]

What is an "Schmuck"...?
And who are you calling as "Schmuck"...???

confused
H0
Offline Goofy  
#181 Posted : 14 October 2009 00:44:31(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />
Quote:
<br />And only a schmuck will say our topics were not serious ... biggrin[}:)]

There, there, now John ... why call him a schmuck? He's just ... well, "special" biggrin

Cem.

What exactly do you mean "special"...???

confused
H0
Offline tekin65  
#182 Posted : 14 October 2009 00:53:23(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />And who are you calling as "Schmuck"...???

Whoever says our topics are not serious. And ... don't worry, not you Smile

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline john black  
#183 Posted : 14 October 2009 01:29:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Goofy, I'm referring to those "serious" guys who don't like our great topics [xx(]

Cem said it - never you SmileSmileSmile

Offline john black  
#184 Posted : 14 October 2009 01:31:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
BTW - a schmuck is a most "serious" guy ... biggrin

Offline john black  
#185 Posted : 14 October 2009 02:40:38(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
What exactly do you mean "special"...???

Goofy, simply ignore the NMR crap of those idiots.

Ah, "idiots" ... very polite, thank you [:p]

Remember, remember: Always talk Clean & Sober - as learned in Maricopa County biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#186 Posted : 14 October 2009 06:12:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />What is an "Schmuck"...?

Always remember Goofy, Google is your friend. wink

Schmuck is another of those Yiddish words.

http://www.schmucku.com/definition.html

(BTW, Captain John, someone must be feeling guilty!)

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#187 Posted : 14 October 2009 06:14:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good luck with your choice of controller, Goofy.
Offline Goofy  
#188 Posted : 14 October 2009 08:12:31(UTC)
Goofy

I´m understanding now about Lutz referens to me...

"Schmuck" is an discrimination word!

And besides in german language means also "Schmuck" jewel in translation.

Just keep on about ZIMO in this topic!!!

[:(!][:(][V]
H0
Offline Goofy  
#189 Posted : 23 October 2009 00:37:47(UTC)
Goofy

Latest news about ZIMO´s new digitalsystem:
MX10 and MX32 will been delivery as set too and it cost about 700 euro!

Smile
H0
Offline tekin65  
#190 Posted : 23 October 2009 00:40:09(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />Latest news about ZIMO´s new digitalsystem:
MX10 and MX32 will been delivery as set too and it cost about 700 euro!

Only that much? [xx(]

Not for me then ... biggrin

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline Goofy  
#191 Posted : 23 October 2009 19:25:25(UTC)
Goofy

In Sweden does Marklins CS2 with DCC cost about 800 euro!!! [:0]
Even Marklins transformer at 60 VA cost more than ZIMO´s galvanized transformer at 200 VA! [:0]

Cool
H0
Offline davemr  
#192 Posted : 23 October 2009 23:13:07(UTC)
davemr

Marklin 60214 is available in Germany for less tham 600 euros. Zimo is far to expensive.
davemr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#193 Posted : 24 October 2009 01:43:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Goofy, our NZ Marklin dealer is now advertising the new Ecos 50200 with colour screen.

Perhaps it is not too far from being available. The suggestion on Toottoot's website is Jan/Feb 2010.

UserPostedImage

http://www.toottoot.co.nz

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 18:42:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Goofy  
#194 Posted : 25 October 2009 11:08:08(UTC)
Goofy

The problem in this Ecos 50200 are motorized controllers...
They are queit sensible by handle with it!
I prefer pushbutton(Lenz),endless electronic knobs(Marklin/Trix) or pull speedknob(ZIMO).

H0
Offline Goofy  
#195 Posted : 25 October 2009 12:12:57(UTC)
Goofy

More news about ZIMO´s new digitalsystem!

www.zimo.at/web2007/news...etter_2009_October_E.pdf
H0
Offline Goofy  
#196 Posted : 25 October 2009 16:02:49(UTC)
Goofy

I forgot to write here,that ZIMO´s new hand-held controller(CAB)MX32 has OLED touch screen (320x240 pixel)!

[:p]
H0