Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kiko  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2023 03:06:57(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello All,

I have a BR17 (Marklin #37192) fitted with the original DCM motor and LokSound 5 decoder. This is a very nice loco; it's heavy and runs very well on level tracks. However, even when new, this loco was unable to negotiate even small grades (< 1%). I fitted a LokSound 5 decoder thinking that I could adjust some parameters, but no go! Runs great on level track, but can't pull any cars.

Is there any hope? Rubber tires were changed to no avail. Perhaps the groves in the wheels are too deep and the rubber tires can't get enough grip...

I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated. It's too nice a loco to sit on a shelf.

Thanks!
Andry

BR17 126 (37192).jpg
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2023 03:55:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
is this an actual photo of your loco, it would help if you can take a photo from underneath

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2023 06:36:58(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
This is a notoriously weak design as to pulling power. The original Lok pulling the Kaiser Wilhelm train, could hardly pull the consist on level track.

I would open it up and add some weight over the driving wheels if possible.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2023 07:32:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
This is a notoriously weak design as to pulling power. The original Lok pulling the Kaiser Wilhelm train, could hardly pull the consist on level track.

What did Märklin think when they designed it or when they tested it on the track ?

you most probably can't duplicate the axles with rubber tyres, because the driving axle would have a cogwheel (rubber tyres)

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Ross  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2023 07:41:26(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Andry/All,

I have the 2681 King Wilhelm set and had the same poor pulling problems that you are having. See my article below pages 16 and 17

Strange Bits Log part 1

Hope it gives you some ideas how to solve the problem.
Ross
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2023 10:16:25(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I too have a BR17 099 namely #37193. It struggles to pull 7 x Roco 3 axle coaches up a very long gentle slope so yes it does have issues. My track has to be super clean & oil free for it to go up the hill.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Kiko  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2023 17:14:52(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
is this an actual photo of your loco, it would help if you can take a photo from underneath
John

Hello John,

Attached are a few photos of my BR17. The one posted earlier was just a generic picture to help people visualize while reading my post.

BR17 126 (37192) 01.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 02.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 03.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 04.jpg

Andry
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
Offline Kiko  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2023 17:32:07(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Hello MrMarklin,

Thanks for the tip. I will look into this possibility. Mind you, the loco is quite heavy as it is. It's one of the heaviest locos I have. But it won't hurt to investigate this option.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
See my article below pages 16 and 17

Hello Ross,

Thanks for that! Very nice and helpful. I gave it a quick look but will need to sit down and digest. Will report on progress.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
My track has to be super clean & oil free for it to go up the hill.

Hello Dave,

Thanks. Good pointer however, in my case, the track is pretty clean and oil free. I regularly run a special MOW loco with the CMX track cleaning car filled with alcohol. I don't have a problem with other locos, just this one. Even though it's a very heavy loco and you would think that it would have great pulling power, it just ain't so. Very unfortunate because I really like the BR17.

NScalecmx.jpg

All,

I really appreciate all your replies and help. Additional info, suggestions and tips will always be appreciated. I'll keep chipping away and if I find a solution, I will post it.

Cheers,
Andry
Andry
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2023 17:38:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Andry
Just a shoot in the dark but by increasing the pressure on the front bogie will add pressure on rear axle with rubber tires
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Kiko  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2023 17:43:28(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
... by increasing the pressure on the front bogie will add pressure on rear axle with rubber tires

Hello Jean,

Thank you for the tip. I've added lead weights to a few locos -- attached to top of boiler with two-side tape. I'll have to see if there's room over the front bogies in the BR17...

Thanks,
Andry
Andry
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2023 17:48:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
I'll have to see if there's room over the front bogies in the BR17...
Adding weight over the front bogie will reduce the pressure on the axle with traction tyres.
Increasing the tension of the bogie spring may help.

IIRC locos returned to Märklin received some ballast weights in the cab. Maybe you can hide some weight in the cab, e.g. under the roof.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2023 21:51:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Thank you for the tip.I've added lead weights to a few locos -- attached to top of boiler with two-side tape.I'll have to see if there's room over the front bogies in the BR17...

It was not about adding weight to the front of the loco but by increasing the stiffness of the spring on the front bogie, it will push some more weight to the rear axle.
In that same direction make sure there is a little vertical play between the tender and the loco.
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2023 22:07:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I suspect if you put some bullfrog snot on the front driving wheels the problem will be solved.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Kiko  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2023 23:32:59(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: HO Go to Quoted Post
IIRC locos returned to Märklin received some ballast weights in the cab. Maybe you can hide some weight in the cab, e.g. under the roof.

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the info. I did some digging and found very helpful tips on Ross Stewart's web site regarding adding weights: "Tip:Strange Happenings Log" (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rossstew/rms/marklin.html). I was able to decipher how to take the cab and boiler apart. I noticed that the cab roof already had the Marklin weight insert (see pictures). However, because there's more room under that roof, I was able to fit additional weights. I also took the opportunity to add a small weight inside the boiler (see picture). This is all due to the excellent write-up by Ross.

I will now have to put the loco on the track and see if this helps. I would still like to explore the traction tire options...

BR17 126 (37192) 06.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 05.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 09.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 10.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 11.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 13.jpg

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
It was not about adding weight to the front of the loco but by increasing the stiffness of the spring on the front bogie, it will push some more weight to the rear axle.
In that same direction make sure there is a little vertical play between the tender and the loco.

Hello Jean,

Yes. I will bend the metal spring under the front wheels and try and force additional pressure on the rear of the loco. The coupler between the loco and tender does have vertical play, so that should help.

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I suspect if you put some bullfrog snot on the front driving wheels the problem will be solved.

Hello "Applor",

Not sure where you're goint with this? Confused I've heard of this product but it's not available in Canada (to my knowledge) and costs twice as much to ship as the product is worth. Go figure.

Once again, thanks to all for helping out.
Andry
Andry
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 31 March 2023 00:27:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Bullfrog snot is a green liquid plastic polymer. Nothing more. A military vet came up with it.
Offline Kiko  
#16 Posted : 31 March 2023 01:54:22(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello All,

Success!! BigGrin
Just ran some tests with the modified BR17 and everything looks promising. The loco nicely pulls some cars up grades and has no issues. Summing up, the mods I made were as follows:
1) added weights to the roof of the cab;
2) added weight to the boiler (just above the driving wheels with the rubber tire);
3) changed both traction tires; and
4) lightly bent the copper spring under the front bogie to add tension.

As of today, the BR17 will enter my active roster. I would like to thank all that provided guidance, tips and ideas. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andry
Andry
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline Ross  
#17 Posted : 31 March 2023 01:58:25(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Andry,

Well done. Paint the weight black to reduce its visibility.

Another thing you can do to improve the pulling power is to lubricate the axle bearings of the rolling stock and if you are using passenger cars only have one collector shoe and ground spring for the entire train for the car lighting.

Can you tell me what colour are the lights for your loco yellow, warm white, white LEDs?

Hello All,

Success!! BigGrin
Just ran some tests with the modified BR17 and everything looks promising. The loco nicely pulls some cars up grades and has no issues. Summing up, the mods I made were as follows:
1) added weights to the roof of the cab;
2) added weight to the boiler (just above the driving wheels with the rubber tire);
3) changed both traction tires; and
4) lightly bent the copper spring under the front bogie to add tension.

As of today, the BR17 will enter my active roster. I would like to thank all that provided guidance, tips and ideas. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andry
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Kiko  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2023 06:38:36(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Paint the weight black to reduce its visibility.

Another thing you can do to improve the pulling power is to lubricate the axle bearings of the rolling stock and if you are using passenger cars only have one collector shoe and ground spring for the entire train for the car lighting.

Can you tell me what colour are the lights for your loco yellow, warm white, white LEDs?

Hello Ross,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have painted the lead weights, which are mounted on the cabin roof. They are hardly visible (see third picture). The LEDs on the BR17 are yellow (see pictures).

Regarding illumination of coaches -- I use the ESU Digital Lighting Kits (50708). Using this setup, I don't need to fit shoes to my cars, and only one wire (digital power -- i.e., center stud) is required from the loco. I fit the loco with a Marklin single conductor coupler and use the cars' wheels for the ground return. The ESU Lighting Kit is great because it has it's own decoder on-board and can be easily programmed with the LokProgrammer.

Once again, thanks for everything!
Andry

BR17 126 (37192) 14.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 15.jpg

BR17 126 (37192) 16.jpg
Andry
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 01 April 2023 04:54:31(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have 2 Marklin locomotives that have only 2 main drive wheels - 37017. They cost a lot and they cannot go up the very slightest incline because the wheels lift off the track and either the power wheels lose power connection or the drive wheels lose contact with the track.

Marklin boast that they thoroughly test their locomotives before they go into production. Either Marklin are lying or the people responsible for testing are not doing a good job. Why do we, the customer, have to modify these locomotives to make them work correctly ? I tried to explain to Marklin that these 37017 locomotives were badly designed, but they didn't want to hear about it - bury your head in the sand and the problems will go away !!!! Great business principles.

I can't believe that you needed to put lead weight into the locomotive to make it pull carriages.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Kiko  
#20 Posted : 01 April 2023 05:24:37(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Why do we, the customer, have to modify these locomotives to make them work correctly?
Greg

Hello Greg,

You are correct in the fact that if Marklin charges a premium price for its products, then we -- the paying customers -- should expect an excellent product. My BR17 was made in the early 2000's, at a time when Marklin (as a company) was failing. I think that at that time many corners were cut in order to try and stay afloat. However, that still does not let them off the hook and now, that the company is financially sound, I expect quality to match the premium price that I pay. No more excuses.

Just my two pennies...

Andry
Offline bph  
#21 Posted : 01 April 2023 10:43:46(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Märklin has updated the BR17 construction slightly, the new 37197 now has the new "standard" Marklin motor and gear.
Quotes from Märklin: "Reworked tooling" and "New propulsion concept". (the speaker is the same as in previous models.)
Unfortunately, I have not been able to test the driving capabilities properly as I don't have a permanent layout.
and note: everything was glued together "properly" with my 37197 so be careful when you try to open it. especially removing the smoke screens and the small pipes etc that must be removed in order to open it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Kiko  
#22 Posted : 01 April 2023 17:02:50(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Märklin has updated the BR17 construction slightly, the new 37197 now has the new "standard" Marklin motor and gear.

... note: everything was glued together "properly" with my 37197 so be careful when you try to open it. especially removing the smoke screens and the small pipes etc that must be removed in order to open it.

Hello All,

To amplify the above quote, I've attached the "Spare Parts List" for both my BR17 (37192) and the new BR17 (37197) for comparison. There are quite a few differences in design.

Cheers,
Andry

BR17 (37192) Spare Parts List.pdf (319kb) downloaded 18 time(s). BR17 (37197) Spare Parts List.pdf (578kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
Andry
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Kiko