Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline brostymie  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2022 10:25:29(UTC)
brostymie

Singapore   
Hi all, I am new to this hobby and I recently bought my first H0 Scale Marklin train : the 39491 E991 Litra via ebay. It was not cheap. however when I received the my package, the box is in a bad shape and I noticed that at the left side of the train there is this dislodged Part. The circled area highlights the dislodged part while the other pic show the other side that is ok. Appreciate advice on how best to fix this. Thank you so much
Pic of Right side that is ok.jpgPic with Dislocated Part..jpg

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by brostymie
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2022 11:16:39(UTC)
Copenhagen

As far as I can see on my E 991 the right and left sides are identical. So it should be possible to see how things are connected by comparing the two sides.
But if it's not an easy fix that'll make the engine run and perform perfectly it's a question about how to solve the matter with the seller or the delivery service. Don't know how things works when buying from ebay.
Offline brostymie  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2022 12:30:18(UTC)
brostymie

Singapore   
I am ok with the damaged box and I also do not want to engage the seller ( I forsee it will be fruitless).
My main concern is what can i use to join this back. I think a bolt or peg is broken that cause the dislodge
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2022 13:35:54(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I think, if that issue was not mentioned in the item description, you can try to ask the seller and if he doesn't provide you a solution, you can complain to ebay.
You probably can also be reimbursed.

You can also try to look at the side that is ok (as previously mentioned here) and also look at the exploded view.
A photo of each side of the locomotive with lots of zoom may help you as well.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2022 14:23:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My br 10 steamer has the same issue. When I removed the hex shoulderhead screw holding the generator crank rod to change the traction tires, the head must have rounded off. Icouldn't get it retightened enogh with needle nose p0lers, so I ordered a hex driver. It still didn't tighten, and as it ran, jammed up. Marklin does not list the screw anymore, and newer br 10 models have top threaded nuts instead of a shoulder screw. It runs fine with the rod removed.
Offline Rob11966  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2022 14:58:37(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Brostymie,

Sorry to hear about your locomotive, it's very disappointing when something arrives broken.

I agree with prior posts- you should have a claim with the seller. However, if you don't want to go down this path, it is a moderately easy fix if you are practically minded.

From what I can see in the photo, a link pin is broken. The best way to fix this is to replace the whole connecting rod mechanism. It is part number 18 on the linked exploded diagram and will cost you 25 euro's -

https://www.maerklin.de/service/...lnummer=39491&lang=2

It appears to be in stock and my experience with the official Marklin spare parts shop has been overwhelmingly positive. You can order via the website. You will also need a Marklin toolkit (item 70900) which is also available in the shop or via ebay for about 20 euros (from memory). The toolkit just has the small hex drivers to remove the small screws holding the connecting rods onto the wheels. The repair job is fiddly but relatively straightforward - if you search my posts, you will see a description of the process. It all snaps and screws into place with no crimping or soldering required.

There would be members on this forum who would know how to obtain and install a small rivet or link pin, but this is beyond my skill - for me, it was easier to replace the whole assembly.

The other option is a local model train repair shop - they may be able to repair rather than replace the assembly and it shouldn't cost too much.

Hope this is helpful.

Rob

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rob11966
Offline Rob11966  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2022 15:05:42(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Here is the link to the discussion about replacing the connecting rod assembly -

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ecting-rods---any-advice

Rob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rob11966
Offline brostymie  
#8 Posted : 29 September 2022 03:04:38(UTC)
brostymie

Singapore   
Thanks all! Greatly appreciate the advice given.
Will try and fix this as per Rob prescribed.
Thank you again!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by brostymie