Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wildstix  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2021 15:25:24(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hey beautiful people in the mini world!

I have another question. I'm offered 8529 and 8589 at a very good price. However, my knowledge about their function is very limited. All that I know is they are working as the automatic signal/crossing feeder. I'm thinking to create an auto stop and go in my layout, and I believe these two are the ones that I need for that.
So, are they reliable? And if yes, where can I find a crash course on how to install them (preferably in videos)? I really need your advice on this one. All replies are highly appreciated!

Thanks and cheers!
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
Offline Hatoil  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2021 17:18:44(UTC)
Hatoil

Sweden   
Hi! I find them very reliable. I use those to automate blocks, allowing me to run up to three trains along the same mainline on a rather small layout.

The only problem I have had is some non-marklin locos that don't trigger them. Easily fixed by a small piece of tape underneath the loco to make it "lower".
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hatoil
Offline zscalehobo  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2021 19:00:59(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Covered in detail in the 0296 book found free on-line.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Buch_Spur_Z_komplett.pdf
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline wildstix  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2021 01:06:19(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Hatoil Go to Quoted Post
Hi! I find them very reliable. I use those to automate blocks, allowing me to run up to three trains along the same mainline on a rather small layout.

The only problem I have had is some non-marklin locos that don't trigger them. Easily fixed by a small piece of tape underneath the loco to make it "lower".

Thanks, Hatoil! Well, the good thing is, I don't run non-Marklin trains 😁
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline wildstix  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2021 01:07:55(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Covered in detail in the 0296 book found free on-line.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Buch_Spur_Z_komplett.pdf

Thank you for directing me there, Frank! 🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2021 03:47:19(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

As I recall, when in use to stop and start locomotives, the stops and starts are abrupt. They don’t provide a transition to the stop or the start. Perhaps this aspect has since been remedied.

One thing I could suggest is the stop location should be out of view.

Let’s us know how you end up applying these.

Thanks. Take good care.

Dwight

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline wildstix  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2021 08:26:04(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello. Hope all is well.

As I recall, when in use to stop and start locomotives, the stops and starts are abrupt. They don’t provide a transition to the stop or the start. Perhaps this aspect has since been remedied.

One thing I could suggest is the stop location should be out of view.

Let’s us know how you end up applying these.

Thanks. Take good care.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Honestly, I'm not looking to smooth stop or start because it's a freakin' Z scale. So as long as it works, I'm a happy child!
I do hope that there is an instruction video on how to set them up...still no luck so far. The pdf from Marklin is great! But I think I couldn't export that into a full grasp of the matter.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Hatoil  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2021 09:01:37(UTC)
Hatoil

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: wildstix Go to Quoted Post

Hey Dwight,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Honestly, I'm not looking to smooth stop or start because it's a freakin' Z scale. So as long as it works, I'm a happy child!
I do hope that there is an instruction video on how to set them up...still no luck so far. The pdf from Marklin is great! But I think I couldn't export that into a full grasp of the matter.

Ok, here's the only video I have found. Sadly it's in Swedish, with no subtitles :(

The circuit tracks are really just momentary switches, triggered by the locomotive. So you also need signals (or relays) and isolated parts of the track. I remember it took some time for me to figure it out, but that was also kind of the fun part :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hatoil
Offline wildstix  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2021 02:23:46(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Hatoil Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: wildstix Go to Quoted Post

Hey Dwight,

Ok, here's the only video I have found. Sadly it's in Swedish, with no subtitles :(

The circuit tracks are really just momentary switches, triggered by the locomotive. So you also need signals (or relays) and isolated parts of the track. I remember it took some time for me to figure it out, but that was also kind of the fun part :)

Got it!
Thanks for the video, at this point, language is not of concern for me. I see the setup in the real world and that is all I need 😊
I guess, I should just enjoy the fun of figuring it out, just like you said 😌

Cheers 👏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline wildstix  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2021 08:46:14(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   

So, the tracks are here with me. I have watched the video shared by Hatoil and the pdf from Frank and I think now I'm getting a clearer idea of how to install the wirings. However, I also noticed that for me to set up stop and start, I might need other stuff to work with these two. So for my plan, a stop and start, what are the other accessories that I still need?

IMG_1204.jpg

Thank you before and stay safe!
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2021 17:17:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

I think many considering this type of function have been doing it with Digital components. That is why, it may be hard to find extensive information about it.

I did find this Youtube. The replies to this indicate the circuit diagram is available on the posters Facebook site. Perhaps this is what you might find useful.

Let us know what you discover.

Take good care.

Dwight

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Mman  
#12 Posted : 01 December 2021 12:11:33(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
What do you want to do exactly?
To have trains stopping and starting automatically you need a minimum of two trains and three signal (block) sections comprising: three switching tracks, three isolating rails, three insulating fishplates, three 8940 semaphore signals (which incorporate relays) or three 8945 universal relays and three 8939 colour light signals if you can’t get or don’t want the semaphore signals.
The signals and relays are not cheap and although used examples are a possibility there is the risk that they won’t work. Been there, done that!
Each signal section must be longer than the longest train in use and given a big enough layout you could have as many sections as you wanted.
Good luck.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline wildstix  
#13 Posted : 02 December 2021 07:32:53(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
What do you want to do exactly?

Exactly to have trains stopping and starting automatically 😊

To have trains stopping and starting automatically you need a minimum of two trains and three signal (block) sections comprising: three switching tracks, three isolating rails, three insulating fishplates, three 8940 semaphore signals (which incorporate relays) or three 8945 universal relays and three 8939 colour light signals if you can’t get or don’t want the semaphore signals.

This is very helpful!!! A narrowed-down list of items needed is a suggestion I'm hoping for 👏

The signals and relays are not cheap and although used examples are a possibility there is the risk that they won’t work. Been there, done that!

Aren't we all 😅 But I'm willing go for it.

Each signal section must be longer than the longest train in use and given a big enough layout you could have as many sections as you wanted.
Good luck.
ChrisG

Yes, this is what I noticed the first time from that Marklin Gleisanlagen-Buch Spur Z pdf 😅 But I reckon I will have enough room to put it into practice later. This is awesome,Chris! Truly appreciate your inputs!

Cheers, and stay safe! 😊

Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline wildstix  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2022 15:29:14(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   

It's me again, so...
Since my last post I've learned more about what I want to do with my new layout, much thanks to all of your inputs here. But because of that, I actually changed my plan a bit.

For my updated plan, I'm going to use 8945 in my setup, but then came new question. I'm planning to put eight 8588 on four lanes (is that correct?) and connect them with 8945, the question is, how many 8945 do I need for eight 8588 in those four lanes?

For an illustration, I got this from z scale hobo website,
8945_instruction_zsh_p1.jpeg

That is just one lane, so I'm going to have four lanes like that. I'm sure I'll need more than one 8945, but will three be enough? Or I need to have more than three 8945 for that?

Thank you in advance, folks, and I really appreciate your inputs 😊🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Mman  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2022 15:30:58(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I am not sure what you mean by ‘four lanes’, do you mean four separate tracks?
How many block sections for each track? For example to run two trains per separate track you would need three block sections, three trains would need four sections etc. Each section needs an 8945.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline wildstix  
#16 Posted : 02 April 2022 16:22:40(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
I am not sure what you mean by ‘four lanes’, do you mean four separate tracks?

Hi Chris, sorry for my late reply. Yes, four seperate tracks, like the pic below. Please disregard the red circle, I have found the solution for that 😊
277450969_10225394786131090_7544307610767651774_n.jpeg

How many block sections for each track? For example to run two trains per separate track you would need three block sections, three trains would need four sections etc. Each section needs an 8945.
ChrisG

All I want is one loco could stop (or stay stationary) while the power is on. Therefore why I asked about the 8588 and 8945. I got some inputs in fb forum that for what I want, I can directly connect the 8588s to 72740 control box, completely bypassing the need of 8945. So, what should/can I do?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline wildstix  
#17 Posted : 08 July 2022 06:27:46(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   

I just want a share a closure to this thread. Thank you for everyone who've shared their help to ease my confusion 😊
So, here it is! The final form of the update for my layout. I decided not to use 8529 and 8589 for this one as I found out that my length calculation is way off for an automatic operation and the best option to solve that problem was a controlled operation.

Oka aka W. Kapriandi
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline parakiet  
#18 Posted : 08 July 2022 22:00:02(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Did you use them to automate other parts of your railroad?
Offline wildstix  
#19 Posted : 10 July 2022 05:53:00(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
Did you use them to automate other parts of your railroad?

8529 and 8589? No, the other parts of the track has no room for automatic operation, and to use those two I think it's better for me to come up with a new layout altogether.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix