Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JPL44  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2021 18:01:29(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
I have a couple of Loks and cars in “Spur 1” that I bought in 1981 (!) when I was in Germany. I have always wanted a Krokodil Lok. There are usually some in EBAY but cost and shipment to the US are both high. I don’t have anything digital and don’t understand what I’d need to use a digital set and in any case, I would only set up track maybe one, two times a year, I lack the space to dedicate to an all-year set up. Does anyone know if used Spur 1 Loks are available in the US? Can anyone recommend a Krokodil that would fit my limited use plans? I like the ones with two Pantographs, not the Switcher type with just one and I need one that would work on my old 30 Amp transformer with alternating current.

Edited by moderator 04 December 2021 04:09:15(UTC)  | Reason: Updated heading - blame Purellum

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2021 18:46:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JPL44 Go to Quoted Post
I have a couple of Loks and cars in “Spur 1” that I bought in 1981 (!) when I was in Germany. I have always wanted a Krokodil Lok. There are usually some in EBAY but cost and shipment to the US are both high. I don’t have anything digital and don’t understand what I’d need to use a digital set and in any case, I would only set up track maybe one, two times a year, I lack the space to dedicate to an all-year set up. Does anyone know if used Spur 1 Loks are available in the US? Can anyone recommend a Krokodil that would fit my limited use plans? I like the ones with two Pantographs, not the Switcher type with just one and I need one that would work on my old 30 Amp transformer with alternating current.

have you checked ebay or craigslist for one?

A green one or a brown one at realistic looking prices on eBay.com.

Offline JPL44  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2021 18:21:30(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Sorry I failed to thank KIWIALAN for his helpful suggestion. I am now torturing myself as I search around my modest digs, under carpets, in sofa cushions (!) for enough to buy one of the Krokodil you suggested. Seriously, I am sorely tempted and I can see that the price is actually lower than many less conveniently available in Europe but the cost is a lot for me and I am still thinking. Thanks for your help since without it, I wouldn’t have even been in the game.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2021 05:58:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Alan's 'Green' Croc suggestion is actually an Austrian Croc, not a SBB Swiss Croc.

Are you happy with the $1500 USD asking price for those locos?

I know where there is a green Croc available here in NZ, at least I think it is still available. I'm sure Alan will know whose collection it comes from.

I can ask about it on Monday night, but I won't be seeing the former owner's son until Wednesday and it is him that makes the final decision. I can get more details of it on Monday, including the model number.

The Croc is a digital loco, but should work OK with a 32va transformer (not 30 amps!) providing you are using the more modern white transformer.

I'd suggest you think about how much you are prepared to pay, and we can go from there if you are interested. Of course you would be responsible for any import taxes / duty, Paypal fees and postage so this should be factored.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2021 07:44:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Note that the seller states there are some issues with the 'Green' Croc - not serious, but issues nonetheless.

"Tested it runs both directions very slow. It needs to remove solidi lube oil. The light did not turn on during The test."
Offline JPL44  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2021 14:00:06(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
BigDaddy!!

Thanks for your helpful and forthcoming suggestions. The Loks I’m looking at in EBay, thanks to KIWIALAN (New Zesland Rules!) are in the next state over from where I live. Your kind offer to explore availability of a much newer version of the Krok would mean a new transformer (I have the old blue 30 VA? ) and unknown shipping/customs costs here. I think it probably makes more sense for me to bite the bullet and pay what it costs on EBay. Im afraid your contact will want at least $1000 and then with a new transformer, shipment, taxes, maybe Customs I’m up to about what the robber baron on eBay is asking. I’m just hung up on the darn Krok and can’t get it out of my system. I’m glad to hear you can find some spare parts. I’m hoping that whatever one I eventually get sort of works and I can dodge the frightening experience, for clutsy me (!) of venturing into the guts of my toys. Only thing I’m capable of is oiling-I think/hope!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JPL44
Offline JPL44  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2021 22:12:09(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Gentlemen/Gentleladies!!

I have acquired a # 5758 Spur1 Krokodil BUT i do not know how to raise the Pantographs. Can someone help me-I have tried to get them up by pulling on the top and pushing in from the two folded sides but with no luck. Help!!
Offline grnwtrs  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2021 01:05:13(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
May I suggest you file a flight plan, preferably with Bigdaddynz, way in advance of your next Marklin/training adventure, and wait for Mike C to review the American shipping/custom procedures before liftoff.

From someone who eats humble pie every day, gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 27 November 2021 04:33:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Did you get a manual with your Crocodile? If not, a copy has previously been posted on the forum - 5736_5756_5757_5758_Krokodil.pdf (7,082kb) downloaded 398 time(s).

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about raising the pantographs. Usually you will find that there is a clip on either side of the pantograph into which the pantograph should clip into so that it is held down. You have to carefully unclip the pantograph to allow it to raise.

These photos are from a Gauge 1 E44 but the principle should be the same with the Crocodile.

404177_1.jpg

404177_0.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline JPL44  
#10 Posted : 01 December 2021 16:33:59(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Did you get a manual with your Crocodile? If not, a copy has previously been posted on the forum - 5736_5756_5757_5758_Krokodil.pdf (7,082kb) downloaded 398 time(s).

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about raising the pantographs. Usually you will find that there is a clip on either side of the pantograph into which the pantograph should clip into so that it is held down. You have to carefully unclip the pantograph to allow it to raise.

These photos are from a Gauge 1 E44 but the principle should be the same with the Crocodile.
Thanks
404177_1.jpg

404177_0.jpg

Offline JPL44  
#11 Posted : 01 December 2021 16:42:24(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Thanks so much for your detailed advice! I did find and download the manual and as you note: nothing in getting the Pantographes up BUT. It did help with attaching the standard couplers.

I wish my old pantograph were as straightforward as the wonderful pictures you sent! The most obvious clamp holding mine down is confounding in its complexity-it really is tight and does not appear to be subject to letting go at the point if attachment so that the Ps could rise. I will take and send pictures if I can get them up in the users net. For the moment I remain befuddled! I’ll be back soon. Thanks so much for your support. It would seem there are few in the US with Sour 1
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 03 December 2021 04:25:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have a later Spur 1 Crocodile (55563), I could take some photos of that if needed.
Offline JPL44  
#13 Posted : 03 December 2021 16:51:52(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I have a later Spur 1 Crocodile (55563), I could take some photos of that if needed.

I have again studied the pantographs On my Krok close up. The part that I mistakenly thought was a removable clamp to hold the Ps down during non use is in fact tightly connected to them, and pivots back and forth. Trying to get some ideas from pictures of extended Pantographes on the Web, I propose to try « WB—40 «  on all the hinged moving parts in the hope that a careful pull on the top will raise the pantographs. I’ll report results and if I fail, I’ll send the best pictures I can take for more advice

PS. I wonder if the switch mentioned as being in the two motorman cabins is somehow locking the Ps in place. My guess is no since they probably (?) don’t rise electrically. I’ve opened one door on the motorman’s cabin and felt around for the switch but haven’t found it yet. My heavens the complexity!! Who would athunk it!!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 03 December 2021 21:04:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No, the switch won't affect the raising of the pantograph's - it just switches being receiving power from the pantograph or power from the wheel contacts.
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 03 December 2021 23:46:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I'm sure several members of this forum knows how to raise the pantographs on your crocodile;
but they probably don't look in to this topic since it started as something else, and then turned into another question Cool

I suggest that you start a new topic, using a headline like "help needed for 5756 Crocodile" or "How do I raise the pantographs on my 5756?" Cool

Then there's a much bigger chance that someone who knows will notice your question BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2021 04:11:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
I suggest that you start a new topic, using a headline.....

You do realise members can change the heading on threads they have started. As can moderators.

Since you asked so nicely.....Flapper

Edited by user 04 December 2021 09:40:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline JPL44  
#17 Posted : 04 December 2021 22:28:42(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I'm sure several members of this forum knows how to raise the pantographs on your crocodile;
but they probably don't look in to this topic since it started as something else, and then turned into another question Cool

I suggest that you start a new topic, using a headline like "help needed for 5756 Crocodile" or "How do I raise the pantographs on my 5756?" Cool

Then there's a much bigger chance that someone who knows to will notice your question BigGrin

Per.

Cool

Offline JPL44  
#18 Posted : 04 December 2021 22:33:19(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Gentlemen!

In addition to being hopeless with new Krok, I’m also very unfamiliar with navigating and posting on the net. That said, I have managed to get the Pantographes up. Pictures will follow under the assumption I can upload them to the Forum. WD-40 loosened things up and my wiggling off the top finally freed them from a catch very much like the one pictured in BiDaddy’s upload.
Offline grnwtrs  
#19 Posted : 05 December 2021 00:55:52(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
You did a good job. I have problems with the Pantographes with all engines. Not just the 1 gauge Krocs,
I only have the one. But have never tried to raise the panto, their is a web site where a fellow shows how to unbox and run the ? 55686

The H O scale pantos are also my nemesis. I usually end up with bloody fingers, especially with the 103's.

Be careful where you use the WD-40.
Rest assured that the rest of are grateful for the help from BigDaddy for more than one reason

regards, gene
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Mman  
#20 Posted : 05 December 2021 12:54:35(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
784E3912-5E23-4F3A-8E28-025B06E0FA59.jpegWith Märklin Z gauge Scheiner type pantographs the problem is keeping them down, they ping up with the smallest vibration.
ChrisG