Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BOOMerCH  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2021 20:40:05(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Hello all,

As I'm new to this forum, I just want to say that I already find a lot of useful information on this forum so thanks a lot.
I just received my new Märklin Central Station 3 and it works perfectly. But... There is no way to connect to the web interface from my PC or any other device.

I already pretty much tried everything I could to make it work. I even bought another router thinking it was coming from my main router but nothing changed always the same message from my browser (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) when I try to connect to the CS3 web interface.
Here are few information which maybe useful for help :

• CS3 60216 firmware version : 2.3.1 (8)

• CS3 connected with LAN cable in the router

• The CS3 is doing upgrade without any issue through internet so that mean it's connected and working (blinking lights on the back of device)

• IP/IP Network template/IP Gateway/DNS server are filled automatically in the CS3 without any problem

• Pinging the device with command prompt is also giving a feedback meaning it can communicate with it

• But still no way to get to the web interface and always getting this message "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when trying to reach the web interface and this on PC, mobile phone and Ipad.

What I tried until now :

• Bought another router not connected to the internet and connected only PC and CS3+ -> no chance

• Tried different cables -> no chance

• Tried to reset CS3 -> no chance

• Tried to reset my router -> no chance

• Tried to deactivate antivirus and firewall -> no chance

• Tried different browsers (Edge, Chrome, Safari...) -> no chance

• Tried different IP address -> no chance

• Tried different ways to connect to rouuter (through switch & directly in the router) -> no chance

Now I start thinking that my CS3+ is faulty as for other people it looks really easy to connect and on my side there is no way.

If you have any idea which could help me resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance :)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BOOMerCH
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2021 22:32:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome! The CS3 can certainly be web interfaced. I have not, but it is covered in the new issue big CS3 digital book item #03093, and in one of the youtube marklin webibars by Curtis and Rick. Research remote control of the CS3, web interface. From page 78; In the browser, do not enter the address for a Web site. Enter the I.P. address for the CS3. Then the Marklin web interface wil appear.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2021 22:40:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello (no first name)
Welcome to our great forum.
I connect my CS3 (60226) this way
1- install VNC Viewer on your PC
2- connect your PC with your CS3 using an Internet cable (normal or crossover makes no difference)
3- on your CS3, read the IP address (e.g. on mine it is set to manual mode and 192.168.0.29) Why manual? because otherwise the router will change its address periodically.
4- Start the VNC and set a new address, followed with :5900. In my case the setting is then 192.168.0.29:5900
You will have (through VNC) a display like this
CS3-PC-Appareils et Lociciels.png
Then you may select in the menu
- a welcome screen with the available functions
CS3-PC-Home.png

- setting your webcams
CS3-PC-Webcam.png
- loading your loco icons
- setting your CS3
CS3-PC-Parameters System Settings.png
Once started, VNC connect by itself to the CS3 and the fun starts
Notes:
- some of these screens are not in English, sorry
- the screen copies were made with the previous s/w version v2.2.0(5) but it works with the last version v2.3.1(8)
- I use a laptop so I don't need a cable to it (WiFi) works fine provided the CS3 is connected to an internet box or a WiFi router

Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 26 September 2021 11:26:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline BOOMerCH  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2021 22:57:55(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome! The CS3 can certainly be web interfaced. I have not, but it is covered in the new issue big CS3 digital book item #03093, and in one of the youtube marklin webibars by Curtis and Rick. Research remote control of the CS3, web interface. From page 78; In the browser, do not enter the address for a Web site. Enter the I.P. address for the CS3. Then the Marklin web interface wil appear.

Hi Marklinist, thanks for your feedback but I already did everything explained in your post and nothing happen on browser screen.

Offline BOOMerCH  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2021 23:27:49(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hello (no first name)
Welcome to our great forum.
I connect my CS3 (60226) this way
1- install VNC Viewer on your PC
2- connect your PC with your CS3 using an Internet cable (normal or crossover makes no difference)
3- on your CS3, read the IP address (e.g. on mine it is set to manual mode and 192.168.0.29) Why manual? because otherwise the router will change its address periodically.
4- Start the VNC and set a new address, followed with :5900. In my case the setting is then 192.168.0.29:59
You will have (through VNC) a display like this
Then you may select in the menu
- a welcome screen with the available functions

- setting your webcams
- loading your loco icons
- setting your CS3

Once started, VNC connect by itself to the CS3 and the fun starts
Notes:
- some of these screens are not in English, sorry
- the screen copies were made with the previous s/w version v2.2.0(5) but it works with the last version v2.3.1(8)
- I use a laptop so I don't need a cable to it (WiFi) works fine provided the CS3 is connected to an internet box or a WiFi router

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean (ou bonsoir) :)

Thanks for all your detailed steps. I just tried with VNC viewer connecting the CS3 directly with the PC and following your steps but sadly nothing is working sadly :( It really looks like the CS3 wont accept my PC or any other device to connect.

All the best,
BOOMer

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2021 02:04:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
To access the cs3 with a web interface I think you have to first start a web server on the cs3, I don't it starts as a default. There is a checkbox to tick to make it autostart the next time you power on the cs3, but that is not the default.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BOOMerCH  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2021 02:15:34(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
To access the cs3 with a web interface I think you have to first start a web server on the cs3, I don't it starts as a default. There is a checkbox to tick to make it autostart the next time you power on the cs3, but that is not the default.

Thanks KiwiAlan for your help. If there is anything to tick that I missed I would love to know where ? I didn’t found anything on the web or on the CS3 itself

Best,
BOOMer

Edited by user 26 September 2021 11:30:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2021 11:41:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi BOOMer
In my post there was a mistake, Sorry. The address of your CS3 must be followed by :5900 (and not by :59)
If it does not work after installing properly the VNC Viewer
Sans titre.png

You can download it here https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/

One possible cause of your problem is the firewall I use Windows 10, last version together with windows defender and I have declared my CS3 and its application to let the data through
I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline BOOMerCH  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2021 11:52:47(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Hi BOOMer
In my post there was a mistake, Sorry. The address of your CS3 must be followed by :5900 (and not by :59)
If it does not work after installing properly the VNC Viewer
Sans titre.png

You can download it here https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/

On possible cause of your problem is the firewall I use Windows 10, last version together with windows defender and I have declared my CS3 and its application to let the data through
I hope this helps
Jean

Hi Jean,

Thanks yes I thought there was a mistake and I tried with both port numbers but still no luck.
I have the same VNC Viewer as you have.

About the firewall I tried to deactivate it (windows 10 and router) and still not working. But I would be interested to know what you did to declare the CS3 and its application to let the data go through.

Thanks a lot
BOOMer
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2021 14:16:26(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: BOOMerCH Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

As I'm new to this forum, I just want to say that I already find a lot of useful information on this forum so thanks a lot.
I just received my new Märklin Central Station 3 and it works perfectly. But... There is no way to connect to the web interface from my PC or any other device.

I already pretty much tried everything I could to make it work. I even bought another router thinking it was coming from my main router but nothing changed always the same message from my browser (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) when I try to connect to the CS3 web interface.

• The CS3 is doing upgrade without any issue through internet so that mean it's connected and working (blinking lights on the back of device)

• IP/IP Network template/IP Gateway/DNS server are filled automatically in the CS3 without any problem

• Pinging the device with command prompt is also giving a feedback meaning it can communicate with it

• But still no way to get to the web interface and always getting this message "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when trying to reach the web interface and this on PC, mobile phone and Ipad.

What I tried until now :

• Bought another router not connected to the internet and connected only PC and CS3+ -> no chance

• Tried different ways to connect to rouuter (through switch & directly in the router) -> no chance

Now I start thinking that my CS3+ is faulty as for other people it looks really easy to connect and on my side there is no way.

If you have any idea which could help me resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate your help.

Hi

The webserver should start automatically. The CS3 Screen Server, which is required for VNC to work, must usually be started manually, and can be set to start automatically. (in the browser).
ref Mäarklin cs3 user manual, page 36 (Short Tutorial). http://streaming.maerklin.de/public-media/anleitungen/CS3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf
The web interface is described on page 26

I suggest that if you have not already tried it, that you set up the local network with manual IP addresses. (you can set things back to auto later if you prefer that)
Make sure the cs3 and your pc are on the same network, eg only one router with DHCP. and that they are both connected directly into that one router.
eg. you can try something like this:
Router: (be aware of DHCP settings, and the local DHCP IP range should not include manual IP's)
Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (important to make this identical on all devices)

your PC:
Local IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS:192.168.1.1

Your CS3
Local IP: 192.168.1.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (IP Network Template)

(when you get things to work change back to your preferences step by step to ensure that things are still working.)

If you need to enable CAN gateway/broadcast on cs3 you can then set it to 192.168.1.255

Add the cs3 IP to the exemption list in your firewall (s). (all ports for now). Firewall software is sometimes a bit hard to fully disable....

After you have configured the cs3, make a restart. and make sure the pc does not have any conflicting network settings etc.
if that does not, work try the button for start apps again.
(i find that the chrome browser wok quite well)

you can also try to see if the mDecoderTool software can connect to your CS3. (free on marklin.de)
The CAN gateway must then be enabled (broadcast) if I remember correctly, for it to work.
If the mDecoderTool software can see your CS3 and the browser does not work, it might suggest that the webserver does not run properly and it's recommended to call the Marklin service phone.

you can also try to google ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, as there might be other reasons also.

you can also try accessing the CS3 with CS3-12345.local type of address in the browser: (replace the 12345 with the actual serial number of your cs3)
http://CS3-12345.local/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline BOOMerCH  
#11 Posted : 26 September 2021 16:05:14(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

What I tried until now :

Hi

The webserver should start automatically. The CS3 Screen Server, which is required for VNC to work, must usually be started manually, and can be set to start automatically. (in the browser).
ref Mäarklin cs3 user manual, page 36 (Short Tutorial). http://streaming.maerklin.de/public-media/anleitungen/CS3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf
The web interface is described on page 26

I suggest that if you have not already tried it, that you set up the local network with manual IP addresses. (you can set things back to auto later if you prefer that)
Make sure the cs3 and your pc are on the same network, eg only one router with DHCP. and that they are both connected directly into that one router.
eg. you can try something like this:
Router: (be aware of DHCP settings, and the local DHCP IP range should not include manual IP's)
Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (important to make this identical on all devices)

your PC:
Local IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Your CS3
Local IP: 192.168.1.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (IP Network Template)

(when you get things to work change back to your preferences step by step to ensure that things are still working.)

If you need to enable CAN gateway/broadcast on cs3 you can then set it to 192.168.1.255

Add the cs3 IP to the exemption list in your firewall (s). (all ports for now). Firewall software is sometimes a bit hard to fully disable....

After you have configured the cs3, make a restart. and make sure the pc does not have any conflicting network settings etc.
if that does not, work try the button for start apps again.
(i find that the chrome browser wok quite well)

you can also try to see if the mDecoderTool software can connect to your CS3. (free on marklin.de)
The CAN gateway must then be enabled (broadcast) if I remember correctly, for it to work.
If the mDecoderTool software can see your CS3 and the browser does not work, it might suggest that the webserver does not run properly and it's recommended to call the Marklin service phone.

you can also try to google ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, as there might be other reasons also.

you can also try accessing the CS3 with CS3-12345.local type of address in the browser: (replace the 12345 with the actual serial number of your cs3)
http://CS3-12345.local/

Hi bph,

Your explanations are really clear also thanks a lot.
Sadly I tried everything and it's always the same result -> no way to connect to CS3+ as it refuse the connection from the PC

I downloaded the mDecoderTool3 from Märklin and the program does not find the CS3. The very strange thing is that everything works well beside the connection from PC to CS3. It's really frustrating.
I already googled the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED and usually it comes from that the 2nd device needs to be ready to accept the connection but as there is no way to altere the CS3 beside the IP settings I don't see any possibilities.

Thanks anyway for your kind help.
Best,
BOOMer

Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 26 September 2021 16:54:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Boomer, Jonjean B is very knowlwdgable, and so is Alan. If they can't help you get this resolved, I think I'd e-mail Service@Maerklin.de. and explain the problem. It may take them a while to respond. Frank Mayer was the one who replied to my issue a few months ago.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline BOOMerCH  
#13 Posted : 26 September 2021 17:18:54(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Boomer, Jonjean B is very knowlwdgable, and so is Alan. If they can't help you get this resolved, I think I'd e-mail Service@Maerklin.de. and explain the problem. It may take them a while to respond. Frank Mayer was the one who replied to my issue a few months ago.

Dear Marklinist,

Yeah their support is really professional and I see they have a lot of knowledge. Sadly I think my CS3+ is faulty as it should not be that complicated to connect it to the PC and I have other devices on my network working in the same way and never had suuch issues with them.
I already sent a request to Märklin support and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out.

All the best,
BOOMer
Offline Vaji2021  
#14 Posted : 26 September 2021 18:59:54(UTC)
Vaji2021

Sri Lanka   
Boomer,

Have you tried updating the CS3 to the latest version? See if that helps. I use Chrome. Make sure that you allow cookies when you enter the IP address provided by the CS3.

Vaji.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vaji2021
Offline BOOMerCH  
#15 Posted : 26 September 2021 19:05:49(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Vaji2021 Go to Quoted Post
Boomer,

Have you tried updating the CS3 to the latest version? See if that helps. I use Chrome. Make sure that you allow cookies when you enter the IP address provided by the CS3.

Vaji.

Hi Vaji,

Thanks. Yes this is actually the first thing I did when I bought it and cookies are allowed on my browser.

Best,
BOOMer
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 26 September 2021 19:34:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
About the firewall I tried to deactivate it (windows 10 and router) and still not working. But I would be interested to know what you did to declare the CS3 and its application to let the data go through.

You go to Windows security then select Firewall
Then you go to "Authorize an application"
You may also go to advanced parameters like here to authorize a CS2
Firewall.png

Note: before disturbing the firewall settings, just try - with internet DISCONNECTED - without the firewall.
If it works ONLY then you have a firewall issue.
Cheers
Jean

Offline BOOMerCH  
#17 Posted : 26 September 2021 20:28:47(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   

You go to Windows security then select Firewall
Then you go to "Authorize an application"
You may also go to advanced parameters like here to authorize a CS2
Firewall.png

Note: before disturbing the firewall settings, just try - with internet DISCONNECTED - without the firewall.
If it works ONLY then you have a firewall issue.
Cheers
Jean

Thank you Jean i did it but again no luck :( with or without internet.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#18 Posted : 26 September 2021 20:45:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Then its either a cable issue or unplugged connector or a wrong address declaration
I just did again the start
1 start the VNC Viewer connect the CS3 with an internet cable to the PC
2 start the CS3 The Ethernet diodes blink
3 on VNC I have to select the symbol with my CS3 IP address followed with :5900
VNC.png
So it can only be your cable or an address mismatch between your CS3 and the declared address in the VNC Viewer
Note I just changed the CS3 address to create an address mismatch. Then in that case VNC does not say anything
Cheers
Jean
Offline BOOMerCH  
#19 Posted : 26 September 2021 21:05:10(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Then its either a cable issue or unplugged connector or a wrong address declaration
I just did again the start
1 start the VNC Viewer connect the CS3 with an internet cable to the PC
2 start the CS3 The Ethernet diodes blink
3 on VNC I have to select the symbol with my CS3 IP address followed with :5900
So it can only be your cable or an address mismatch between your CS3 and the declared address in the VNC Viewer
Note I just changed the CS3 address to create an address mismatch. Then in that case VNC does not say anything
Cheers
Jean

Thanks Jean I'll try it again as soon as possible. I already tried with different cables so shouldn't be the issue but maybe a mismatch yes.
I'll let you know.
Best,
Basile

Offline JohnjeanB  
#20 Posted : 26 September 2021 21:17:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
So after an IP change in my CS3 192.168.0.24
I created a new connection in VNC with the same address followed with :5900 (192.168.0.24:5900 in total)
Screen look like this
VNC New connection.png
If I click on the new connection I get a warning that the new connection will not be encyphered. Accept and you are in business
Cheers
Jean

Offline BOOMerCH  
#21 Posted : 26 September 2021 21:21:22(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
So after an IP change in my CS3 192.168.0.24
I created a new connection in VNC with the same address followed with :5900 (192.168.0.24:5900 in total)
Screen look like this
VNC New connection.png
If I click on the new connection I get a warning that the new connection will not be encyphered. Accept and you are in business
Cheers
Jean

Just tried it again following your steps and still same result and I have a message on VNC saying that the computer (CS3) do not accept the connection. I really think there is an issue with the web server of the device.
Thanks a lot for your kind help.
Best,
BOOMer
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 27 September 2021 03:03:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
To access the cs3 with a web interface I think you have to first start a web server on the cs3, I don't it starts as a default.

The web server starts by default, at least it does on my CS3. I'm having nightmares with getting data from my CS2 into my CS3 (in fact it isn't a happening thing), but that's another story.

Do you know what tcpip address your CS3 has? There's a screen in the System area (Ethernet settings) that will tell you what it is, that's the address you need to use in your browser to connect to.

The webserver uses the standard http port, port 80 so there should be no need to change firewall settings.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline phils2um  
#23 Posted : 27 September 2021 04:56:51(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I agree with Bigdaddynz - the CS3 web server does start by default. This is different from the Screen Server software which is needed to connect by VNC. The screen server "Bildschrim Server" does need to be manually started. This certainly explains why BOOMer cannot connect with VNC. Unfortunately, BOOMer needs to connect with a web browser to initiate the screen server (and to set it to start on CS3 startup by default).

This is real old school suggestion - some routers need to have connected devices registered by their MAC address depending on their firewall software. The CS3 MAC address can be found under System>Setting Internet. This is the same place where the CS3 the IP address is located. Could this be your situation?

Have you tried setting you web browser privacy/protection settings wide open? It really appears like you've got some unique privacy setting that is prohibiting the connection. Can't tell from the error message which device(s) is not allowing the connection.
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline BOOMerCH  
#24 Posted : 27 September 2021 08:31:53(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
To access the cs3 with a web interface I think you have to first start a web server on the cs3, I don't it starts as a default.

The web server starts by default, at least it does on my CS3. I'm having nightmares with getting data from my CS2 into my CS3 (in fact it isn't a happening thing), but that's another story.

Do you know what tcpip address your CS3 has? There's a screen in the System area (Ethernet settings) that will tell you what it is, that's the address you need to use in your browser to connect to.

The webserver uses the standard http port, port 80 so there should be no need to change firewall settings.

Hi Bigdaddynz,

Thanks for your help. Yes it's what I thought as nothing was mentionned in the Märklin manual or in any video I watched on the subject.
Yes the TCP/IP address is what I try to enter in my webrowser on my PC/iPhone/iPad but nothing wants to connect to the CS3. I tried with the address given automatically, I tried with manual assignment but no luck until now.

Best,
BOOMer
Offline BOOMerCH  
#25 Posted : 27 September 2021 08:42:12(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Bigdaddynz - the CS3 web server does start by default. This is different from the Screen Server software which is needed to connect by VNC. The screen server "Bildschrim Server" does need to be manually started. This certainly explains why BOOMer cannot connect with VNC. Unfortunately, BOOMer needs to connect with a web browser to initiate the screen server (and to set it to start on CS3 startup by default).

This is real old school suggestion - some routers need to have connected devices registered by their MAC address depending on their firewall software. The CS3 MAC address can be found under System>Setting Internet. This is the same place where the CS3 the IP address is located. Could this be your situation?

Have you tried setting you web browser privacy/protection settings wide open? It really appears like you've got some unique privacy setting that is prohibiting the connection. Can't tell from the error message which device(s) is not allowing the connection.

Hi Phils2um and thank you for your suggestions.

I can try the solution with the MAC address but where would I need to enter the MAC address then in my web browser ?
What I do not understand is that when I go on my Router settings, everything looks fine, I see the CS3 and its IP address and it's connected. The CS3 can also connect to internet and update itself. When I ping The CS3 with its IP address from command prompt I have a feedback and an exchange of packets so all look fine.

And about the privacy settings of my web browser I'll have a look thanks. The strange thing is (as mentionned above to Bigdaddynz) that I cannot connect neither with my mobile phone or tablet.

I really think that the web server is not starting on my CS3 at all. Or there is some other strange issue. I even try to buy another router which was not connected to internet. My guess are the problem is coming from the CS3 itself and I already contacted Märklin support to see.

Thanks for your help.
Best,
BOOMer

Offline phils2um  
#26 Posted : 27 September 2021 10:02:05(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
If the MAC address is necessary it would be entered in the routers configuration software. But, it does not sound like this is not the problem. Manually setting the CS3 network addresses is not a good idea unless you are a network hardware/software guru and know exactly what you are doing.

This is what I'd do at this point.

I set the CS3 to get it's address from your router by Auto (DCHP) then don't change this setting, likewise for the PC.
Turn off/down-power both CS3 and PC leave them off at least a couple of minutes.
Do a factory reset to the router. Then restart the router following the manufacturers directions for an initial startup. Make sure it is set to provide DCHP addresses.
Restart the PC and make sure it connects to the router. Once sure the PC and router are communicating move on the the CS3.
Connect the CS3 to the router with a network cable. Make sure it is connected to one of the routers network out jacks. It must be connected to the router before turning on the CS3 on and stay connected to the router! The CS3/CS3+ do not have built-in Wifi.
Start the CS3
After the CS3 boots up completely, check that it was assigned an IP address, subnet mask, IP gateway address and and DNS server address from the router. The IP Gateway and DNS Server addresses should be identical and the first three number groups should match the assigned IP address.
If all is OK so far - enter the CS3 numerical IP address in the address window of a web browser running on the PC - it should connect.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline BOOMerCH  
#27 Posted : 27 September 2021 11:10:40(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
If the MAC address is necessary it would be entered in the routers configuration software. But, it does not sound like this is not the problem. Manually setting the CS3 network addresses is not a good idea unless you are a network hardware/software guru and know exactly what you are doing.

I set the CS3 to get it's address from your router by Auto (DCHP) then don't change this setting, likewise for the PC.
Turn off/down-power both CS3 and PC leave them off at least a couple of minutes.
Do a factory reset to the router. Then restart the router following the manufacturers directions for an initial startup. Make sure it is set to provide DCHP addresses.
Restart the PC and make sure it connects to the router. Once sure the PC and router are communicating move on the the CS3.
Connect the CS3 to the router with a network cable. Make sure it is connected to one of the routers network out jacks. It must be connected to the router before turning on the CS3 on and stay connected to the router! The CS3/CS3+ do not have built-in Wifi.
Start the CS3
After the CS3 boots up completely, check that it was assigned an IP address, subnet mask, IP gateway address and and DNS server address from the router. The IP Gateway and DNS Server addresses should be identical and the first three number groups should match the assigned IP address.
If all is OK so far - enter the CS3 numerical IP address in the address window of a web browser running on the PC - it should connect.

Actually I already did the factory reset of the router and the IP/Subnet mask/IP gateaway and DNS were filled automatically in the CS3 as it should but when I entered the IP of the CS3 given by the router in my browser I always have this error message.
But I'll do it again following exactly your steps and see if the outcome is positive.

Thanks a lot.
Best,
BOOMer
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 27 September 2021 11:57:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I can try the solution with the MAC address but where would I need to enter the MAC address then in my web browser ?
What I do not understand is that when I go on my Router settings, everything looks fine, I see the CS3 and its IP address and it's connected. The CS3 can also connect to internet and update itself. When I ping The CS3 with its IP address from command prompt I have a feedback and an exchange of packets so all look fine.

And about the privacy settings of my web browser I'll have a look thanks. The strange thing is (as mentionned above to Bigdaddynz) that I cannot connect neither with my mobile phone or tablet.

I really think that the web server is not starting on my CS3 at all. Or there is some other strange issue. I even try to buy another router which was not connected to internet. My guess are the problem is coming from the CS3 itself and I already contacted Märklin support to see.

Thanks for your help.
Best,
BOOMer

OK, the next suspect is the router not allowing connections between devices on the local network, only allowing those connections to go out to the internet. This is sometimes done on routers to stop guest connections accessing all the local devices, and to stop spam infecting one machine from transferring itself to all the other machines on the local network.

You will need to look at the router setup (you may need to be in admin mode) to see if you can find a setting that will prevent or enable connections between local devices.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BOOMerCH  
#29 Posted : 27 September 2021 12:02:03(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   

Thanks for your help.
Best,
BOOMer

OK, the next suspect is the router not allowing connections between devices on the local network, only allowing those connections to go out to the internet. This is sometimes done on routers to stop guest connections accessing all the local devices, and to stop spam infecting one machine from transferring itself to all the other machines on the local network.

You will need to look at the router setup (you may need to be in admin mode) to see if you can find a setting that will prevent or enable connections between local devices.

Hi KiwiAlan,

Yeah I thought about that and checked all the router settings to see if something was blocking the connection between devices and didn't found anything. I also have a network HDD and can interact with it without any problem so I doubt this is the problem sadly.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Best,
Basile
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 27 September 2021 15:30:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi KiwiAlan,

Yeah I thought about that and checked all the router settings to see if something was blocking the connection between devices and didn't found anything. I also have a network HDD and can interact with it without any problem so I doubt this is the problem sadly.

Best,
Basile

OK, have you tried to ping the cs3 from any of your devices? I would try using the IP address and also using the name that the router sees.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rhfil  
#31 Posted : 27 September 2021 15:58:24(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Can't claim to have any real knowledge in this area but I have heard that some routers have refused to accept slower router speeds. Does anyone know which speed the CS3 uses? I think the 2.4 speed is rejected by some of the newer routers unless some internal setting is activated.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline BOOMerCH  
#32 Posted : 27 September 2021 16:23:07(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   

Hi KiwiAlan,

Best,
Basile

OK, have you tried to ping the cs3 from any of your devices? I would try using the IP address and also using the name that the router sees.

Yes I tried this and I have feedback when I ping the CS3 from my PC with IP address
Offline BOOMerCH  
#33 Posted : 27 September 2021 16:24:39(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Can't claim to have any real knowledge in this area but I have heard that some routers have refused to accept slower router speeds. Does anyone know which speed the CS3 uses? I think the 2.4 speed is rejected by some of the newer routers unless some internal setting is activated.

Hi rhfil,
Actually that’s a good question and I have no clue. I tried with two different router though and always the same result
Offline JohnjeanB  
#34 Posted : 27 September 2021 16:53:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi BOOMer
From what I understand:
- your CS3+ is working
- your Internet connection is working (you get a green tick near the CS3 symbol)
- your IP address is set by your router. What is it?

Strangely, on the webserver screen you have the possibility to restart the webserver screen (How does Märklin suggests you restart it when it is not working?
Internet server restart.png

OK let's pass this as on the CS3 the "restart applications" function reboots the CS3

I realized that there are 2 ways to connect a CS3 to your computer
- one is simply using your browser (I use Chrome) and type the IP address you have in your CS3.
- the second one is using the VNC Viewer

Connection using your browser
The CS3 must have a screen like this
cs3_screenshot_IP Address.png
Two important lines are the IP address (the one given by your router), let's keep yours instead of my 192.168.0.23
The other one is the Mask and it MUST be 255.255.255.0. If not correct it.
Now, you must set the "manually" mode (NOT the DHCP mode which would allow a change of address).
Now connect directly your PC to your CS3 using an Ethernet cable

If you type on your browser address line, the IP address of your CS3 2 things may happen:
- the CS3 welcome screen
- a timeout after 10 seconds and an error message "The site xx.xx.xx.xx takes too long to respond, check the connection, the proxy or the firewall.
On my computer I get this (welcome screen)
CS3 Web welcome screen.png
Note: this simpler way of connecting should work. There is no way to block the webserver on the CS3 (It starts after each power-up I checked it).

Connection using VNC Viewer
I have already described it: use the same direct connection, start the VNC, create a connection using the IP address you have on the CS3 followed by :5900
When started, VNC shows the exact same screen as your CS3
From now it is interactive (any mouse action on your PC reflects on your CS3 and vice-versa
Hopefully it will work. If not it may mean there is a problem with your CS3
Cheers
Jean

Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 27 September 2021 21:08:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Two important lines are the IP address (the one given by your router), let's keep yours instead of my 192.168.0.23
Now, you must set the "manually" mode (NOT the DHCP mode which would allow a change of address).

Well, we have already established that most of what you posted about is working.

And it isn't necessary to use manual mode instead of DHCP, unless you have an unusually large number of devices that attach to the router. My router will connect all the DHCP devices with the same individual address each time as I don't have enough devices to overflow the DHCP device table.

Sure it may help to set a fixed address, but when doing so make sure it is outside the table of addresses the DHCP server uses (typically about 50 addresses), but it isn't an essential as you seem to make out.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BOOMerCH  
#36 Posted : 27 September 2021 22:46:10(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   

Start the CS3

Ok I did it again but no chance sadly still the same problem.
Thanks anyway for suggesting it :)
Best,
BOOMer
Offline BOOMerCH  
#37 Posted : 27 September 2021 22:49:28(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Hi BOOMer
From what I understand:
- your CS3+ is working
- your Internet connection is working (you get a green tick near the CS3 symbol)
- your IP address is set by your router. What is it?

Strangely, on the webserver screen you have the possibility to restart the webserver screen (How does Märklin suggests you restart it when it is not working?

OK let's pass this as on the CS3 the "restart applications" function reboots the CS3

I realized that there are 2 ways to connect a CS3 to your computer
- one is simply using your browser (I use Chrome) and type the IP address you have in your CS3.
- the second one is using the VNC Viewer

Connection using your browser
The CS3 must have a screen like this

If you type on your browser address line, the IP address of your CS3 2 things may happen:
- the CS3 welcome screen
- a timeout after 10 seconds and an error message "The site xx.xx.xx.xx takes too long to respond, check the connection, the proxy or the firewall.
On my computer I get this (welcome screen)
Note: this simpler way of connecting should work. There is no way to block the webserver on the CS3 (It starts after each power-up I checked it).

Connection using VNC Viewer
I have already described it: use the same direct connection, start the VNC, create a connection using the IP address you have on the CS3 followed by :5900
When started, VNC shows the exact same screen as your CS3
From now it is interactive (any mouse action on your PC reflects on your CS3 and vice-versa
Hopefully it will work. If not it may mean there is a problem with your CS3
Cheers
Jean

Hello Jean,

Yes I have the green tick beside the CS3
The IP address given by my router is 192.168.1.130 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 all seems to work until I try to connect to the webserver.

My guesses are really more and more in the direction of the CS3 and that there is an issue on the starting of the webserver of the device.

Thanks
BOOMer
Offline BOOMerCH  
#38 Posted : 27 September 2021 22:52:39(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   

Well, we have already established that most of what you posted about is working.

And it isn't necessary to use manual mode instead of DHCP, unless you have an unusually large number of devices that attach to the router. My router will connect all the DHCP devices with the same individual address each time as I don't have enough devices to overflow the DHCP device table.

Sure it may help to set a fixed address, but when doing so make sure it is outside the table of addresses the DHCP server uses (typically about 50 addresses), but it isn't an essential as you seem to make out.

Yes KiwiAlan, everything is working until I try to connect from my browser. And honestly it's a bit getting on my nerves as it should really work and usually I'm pretty good with computers and always find a solution but there after 3 days of trials without any luck it's coming a bit difficult to understand what's the issue exactly. Even if my guesses as I mentionned earlier are going on a faulty device.

Best,
BOOMer
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#39 Posted : 28 September 2021 00:50:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Which browser are you using? If it is for example Firefox with the No Script plugin enabled (No Script blocks all Javascript by default) then that could be your problem - the browser simply isn't running any scripts off the CS3 webserver.
Offline BOOMerCH  
#40 Posted : 28 September 2021 01:41:21(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Which browser are you using? If it is for example Firefox with the No Script plugin enabled (No Script blocks all Javascript by default) then that could be your problem - the browser simply isn't running any scripts off the CS3 webserver.

I’m using Edge and no special plugin installed
Offline phils2um  
#41 Posted : 28 September 2021 06:33:22(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
About the only other thing I can think of is that a CS3 software update got corrupted. Did you do any updates when it was first connected to the net? You may need to download the latest from the Märklin site onto a usb stick using your PC then reload it on the CS3+. I've never had to do this myself but others on this forum can help you. As your CS3+ is new, you should not lose too much.
Phil S.
Offline Goofy  
#42 Posted : 28 September 2021 13:12:15(UTC)
Goofy

What about third part to accept in the PC? Did you enable the third part?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline BOOMerCH  
#43 Posted : 28 September 2021 13:18:49(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
About the only other thing I can think of is that a CS3 software update got corrupted. Did you do any updates when it was first connected to the net? You may need to download the latest from the Märklin site onto a usb stick using your PC then reload it on the CS3+. I've never had to do this myself but others on this forum can help you. As your CS3+ is new, you should not lose too much.

Yes it’s the first thing I did when I took the CS3 out of the box. But since as it was not working I also the update via USB and even did the force update but again no luck

Offline BOOMerCH  
#44 Posted : 28 September 2021 13:20:23(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Hello Goofy,
What do you mean exactly ?
I have already third party devices on my network working perfectly and easily accessible.
Thanks
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 28 September 2021 13:58:19(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Hello Goofy,
What do you mean exactly ?
I have already third party devices on my network working perfectly and easily accessible.
Thanks

That is it what i mean.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline phils2um  
#46 Posted : 28 September 2021 22:12:41(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Probably time to contact the dealer! Or Märklin to find out how to perform a complete software reload including the underlying Linux operating system.

One more thought, can you enlist a friend's help with an internet/wifi setup to try the CS3+ on a completely different network?
Phil S.
Offline BOOMerCH  
#47 Posted : 28 September 2021 22:16:36(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
Probably time to contact the dealer! Or Märklin to find out how to perform a complete software reload including the underlying Linux operating system.

Yes you’re right Phils2um it’s what I did. Waiting for their feedback. Do you think I can do that from home or will I need to send it to Märklin ?
Offline phils2um  
#48 Posted : 28 September 2021 22:59:38(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
You may be able to do it yourself if Märklin will let you download the software and provide instructions. I assume the CS3 motherboard has a BIOS that will allow the operating system to be loaded via USB or memory card - Märkiln had to get it on the CS3's computer somehow. It does seem there is a fault in your CS3+, either software or hardware. After all, the latest CS3/CS3+ software makes a network connection about as straight-forward as it can get! And, you probably don't have any hair left to pull outCursing Cursing Cursing
Phil S.
Offline BOOMerCH  
#49 Posted : 28 September 2021 23:09:22(UTC)
BOOMerCH

Switzerland   
You may be able to do it yourself if Märklin will let you download the software and provide instructions. I assume the CS3 motherboard has a BIOS that will allow the operating system to be loaded via USB or memory card - Märkiln had to get it on the CS3's computer somehow. It does seem there is a fault in your CS3+, either software or hardware. After all, the latest CS3/CS3+ software makes a network connection about as straight-forward as it can get! And, you probably don't have any hair left to pull outCursing Cursing Cursing

Hopefully I stilled have some hairs left of ;) yeah let’s hope they will be able to do that as I would be a bit unhappy to send it back and wait for how don’t know how many time to get it back. Or they could also replace it. Let’s see. I’ll anyway update you on the status ;)

Thanks to all of you for your help during these last days. Incredible community here :)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#50 Posted : 29 September 2021 04:35:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
One other thing, have you tried telnetting to the CS3's webserver http port to see if it is listening on port 80?

You could try this on a direct connection between your CS3 and PC (may need to use a crossover cable, and may need to assign a static tcpip address to the CS3), which would bypass and therefore eliminate any other networking equipment as a potential problem.