Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2021 15:30:35(UTC)

Joined: 26/07/2021(UTC)
Posts: 33
Location: New South Wales, Newcastle
This is a lot further ahead of these photos, but still needs work. I built it two decades ago but it's been gathering dust. It has been more in the way than anything but due to the effort I put into the design I couldn't get myself to get rid of it.

It was designed to fit in a space and our previous car. The car has changed, the house space, one could say has shrunk, not from moving. I will leave it at that!

Anyway, the two ends can be joined together to reduce the length to 2.3 metres. The station is 0.4 metres, it's a lot of work for a short section, but that was due to our previous car as two 1.35m modules would have been a pain in the neck. I could add another module to extend the station if I had nothing else to do!

The frame is welded aluminium 38 x 25mm RHS. 25.4mm aluminium legs slot in, with locking custom nylon thumb screws. The RLs (relative level) are made from Forex (expanded PVC mostly 3mm thickness, solvent is Tetrahydrofuran SLR laboratory grade 99.5%).

Earthworks are built up with polyurethane foam, being careful not to do too much in one go. It expands a lot. Then cut back the excess foam to create open cells and covered with typical railway model materials. Track ballast was made from three colours to give variation.

The fly-through is the main line only without additional station tracks or loading yard tracks at rear, or 400mm centre module. The layout is basically two independent layouts in one, clockwise and anticlockwise. I prefer to run trains, couldn't be bothered fiddling with shunting. If one loop fails then there is a good chance that the fully independent second loop keeps going.

Uphill is on the outside, radius is 287mm 2% gradient, hence the crossover to keep uphill on the outside. I learnt a lot from my first layout, so no curved points or crossing points. The basic design was a sort of dogbone folded into three but then looped.

Flythrough.mov (1,380kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Fly-through screenshot (LightWave 3D).


New layout's ghost on the wall stripped of its track. It was 3.6m long (2 x 1.8m).


The control panel basics have been done so I can run a basic loop. Points need to have more switches added. I have actually made all the switch gear.

I wanted as much landscaping as possible, so the top of the "mountains" lift out for access to internal rail (the layout needs a seriously good vacuum).


ICE maximum 14 carriage set.
ICE.mov (2,462kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
ICE fly-through screenshot. The bridge concrete columns I made from styrene as I didn't like the bought ones as they looked a bit tacky. Added a bit of "rust" to the bridges, slack maintenance!

End view without 400mm centre station module. Large trees in the foreground to help create depth of scene.

The "mountain" lifts up at the road edge for access. A little bit of snow and snow poles in the mountains to help suggest altitude.

Etched stainless steel balustrade around stairwell platform access. Platforms and awnings built from 0.75 and 1.0mm styrene.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2021 16:44:50(UTC)

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,862
you do great work!

I also like the semi-exposed part of the helix instead of having to hide all that track. Seems much more doable in Z scale!
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2021 11:40:43(UTC)

Joined: 26/07/2021(UTC)
Posts: 33
Location: New South Wales, Newcastle
My first layout, full of disasters, before I know better.

3.6 metres long. The two halves fitted upside down into each other, unscrewing the Lichtenstein Castle (not shown) on the mountain, to make a compact enclosed box for transport. That compact aspect was the only good thing about the layout. On the new layout I got rid of curved points, and no cross points ether.

The track was on a plywood base with 6mm aluminium tube spacers between it and the layout base. The ends of the aluminium tube tapped so is was all bolted together to the correct RL (relative level). A lot of work, but at least it made the whole layout very rigid and didn't move when filled with polyurethane foam for the earthworks. It worked really well. Track was on foam ballast which ended up disintegrating. Grass was the pre made sheet grass.

Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.322 seconds.