Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2021 19:29:24(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Hi

I currently run my layout from my CS2 but looking to see if I can and want to run from my laptop

I loaded RocRail onto my microsoft note book (windows 10) and am running into beginner issues. I connected my CS2 to my home network via an RJ45 cable and entered the IP address into my laptop. It appears. I loaded and opened RocRail for the first time and have tried to connect this to the CS2.

In RocRail, I go to File/RocRail Properties/Controller

I found the link how to enter a CS2. https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mbus:cs3-en. This view is somewhat confusing as it states "The MCS2 library is replaced by the MBus library.". Assume the instructions below still applied. Then "Note: Only direct TCP communication with the CS2/CS3 is supported in the Rocrail Forum.". Not sure if this means the CS2 has to be directly linked to the lap top or if I can connect through my network.

In the Property/controller view I entered MBUS in the box labeled New and hit 'enter'. Selected that entry and hit 'properties' and confirmed the Type is TCP. I entered the CS2 IP address 10.0.0.11 as Host name. (This is what my CS2 shows as the IP address) Unlike the screenshot from the CS2.https... I don't see anything like a name CS3-06294. I also entered 15731 to the right of the Hostname.. Device is com1 and Baud rate defaulted to 50000. All 3 protocols are checked off.

The CS2.https... next step is
"If all went well, the CS3 is listed in the CBUS/MBUS dialog". The comment is that this can be seen by following the link "Rocview → Programming →CBUS/MBUS". I am unable to find this path and so believe I am not connecting Rocrail to the CS2.

I closed Rocrail and rebooted. File/RocRail Properties is grayed out.

Appreciate help in my attempt to get past step 1.

Regards
Harvey

Edited by moderator 23 August 2021 07:05:31(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling mistake in heading

Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2021 19:58:17(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
That step one is always the hardest.

It sounds like you have identified the CS2 properly as the controller. However, it does not appear that you have set up the Network IP addresses properly in RocRail. The host name address of 10.0.0.11 looks strange to me.

Oh, you do not need to connect the CS2 directly to the laptop, just to the network.

So here are the steps you need to follow:

1. Go to the CS2 Setup tab. Click on the wrench to enter the configuration area. Navigate to the IP tab.
2. On the IP page make sure you click on the Manually radio button instead of the DHCP button
3. Write down the IP address
4. Write down the other 3 addresses displayed. Make sure that the DNS Server address has an address displayed. If not, enter the same address as the IP Gateway address.
5. Save this info by clicking the green checkmark.

Now you can setup RocRail.

1. Open RocRail and then click on Open Workspace
2. Select the directory where your Rocrail file is located
3. Click on RocRail Prperties and navigate to the Controller tab
4. Your CS2 should be listed from your previous attempt
5. Highlight the CS2 and then click on Properties
6. Make sure the IP address you type in for HostName is the same as the one you saved on the CS2 screen
7. The TCP button should be clicked. The Port should be 15731, Device should be greyed out as com1 with a checkmark in CTS, baudrate is greyed out, and the 3 protocol buttons should be checked.
8. Push OK twice to get back to the main screen and see if you can turn the CS2 power on and off.

Hope this helps
Peter
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2021 21:00:07(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
The first steps are the most tricky ones. Your message reminded me of the difficulties I had to simply get connected.

Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post

"RocRail Properties" is grayed out if there is no workspace currently opened (and hence, no Rocrail server). See Step-by-Step Tutorial . You can open the demo workspace or create your own.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2021 00:17:55(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

Thank you for the detailed steps.

I restarted the CS2 and changed the IP page to be manual. The IP Address (first line) did not change. I saved this, rebooted and the IP address did not change. This first address is 10.0.0.11 That is what I entered in my laptop. The DNS server has an address displayed - 10.0.0.1, same as IP Gateway. The phrase 'manual' suggests that one enters an IP address in the CS2. Just a guess - but which IP address?

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2021 02:04:26(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Maybe this is related

Should the CS2 CAN screen be set to Broadcast. An IP address appears beginning with 192.xxx

Harvey
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2021 02:12:21(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   

Should the CS2 CAN screen be set to Broadcast. An IP address appears beginning with 192.xxx

Yes. That is why I said the IP address looked strange since I thought it should start with 192. Once you change to broadcast check the IP settings page again and you should now have new addresses. If not, set it to DHCP, shut down and restart. You should now have new addresses. Then make sure you set it back to Manual instead of DHCP. Otherwise the IP address could change and your RocRail communication will stop.

Even though I have mine set up in Manual, every time there is a CS2 update the IP address and the other 3 change and I have to reset them back to what they were before the update.
Offline Harvey  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2021 02:20:23(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Well, success in turning power on/off of the CS2. Not sure why. But I did the following

I entered the CAN IP address into the RocRail Property screen where I had previously entered 10.0.0.11. The new address starts with 192.... and set CAN to broadcast. The IP screen still shows IP address of 10....., even though set to manual. Success.
I changes the IP screen back to DHCP and RocRail still worked
Next I changed the CAN back to Auto. Still work.

So, if this works when I reboot, the answer seemed to be that I need to use the CAN IP address in the RocRail set up.

Regards
Harvey
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2021 02:26:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Harvey,

That's great that you have it working. However, if you left it on DHCP, do not be surprised that the next time you power everything up, the RocRail to CS2 communication is gone. It really depends on how many devices you have on your network and how the server assigns the addresses.

Peter
Offline Harvey  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2021 02:59:16(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter,

Thanks for the warning. I likely will be moving forward 2 steps and back 1 (I hope, at least at that pace) for some time. Entering my first loc and will likely struggle with that some. But I got started.

Again, appreciate the help

Regards
Harvey
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2021 12:41:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
Hi

I currently run my layout from my CS2 but looking to see if I can and want to run from my laptop

I loaded RocRail onto my microsoft note book (windows 10) and am running into beginner issues. I connected my CS2 to my home network via an RJ45 cable and entered the IP address into my laptop. It appears. I loaded and opened RocRail for the first time and have tried to connect this to the CS2.

In RocRail, I go to File/RocRail Properties/Controller

I found the link how to enter a CS2. https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mbus:cs3-en. This view is somewhat confusing as it states "The MCS2 library is replaced by the MBus library.". Assume the instructions below still applied. Then "Note: Only direct TCP communication with the CS2/CS3 is supported in the Rocrail Forum.". Not sure if this means the CS2 has to be directly linked to the lap top or if I can connect through my network.

In the Property/controller view I entered MBUS in the box labeled New and hit 'enter'. Selected that entry and hit 'properties' and confirmed the Type is TCP. I entered the CS2 IP address 10.0.0.11 as Host name. (This is what my CS2 shows as the IP address) Unlike the screenshot from the CS2.https... I don't see anything like a name CS3-06294. I also entered 15731 to the right of the Hostname.. Device is com1 and Baud rate defaulted to 50000. All 3 protocols are checked off.

The CS2.https... next step is
"If all went well, the CS3 is listed in the CBUS/MBUS dialog". The comment is that this can be seen by following the link "Rocview → Programming →CBUS/MBUS". I am unable to find this path and so believe I am not connecting Rocrail to the CS2.

I run Rocrail since 2013 first with a CS2 and now with a CS3.

The Rocrail controller to use for a CS2 or CS3 is MBUS since a few years (2 to 3 years)

To select the "controller" (Rocrail terminology for Central Station) you need to go to Rocrail properties, Controller and insert a new controller MBUS

Here is my MBUS configuration (the 3 screens side by side)
MBUS config.png

The IP address you selected is not correct (it should be 192.168.0.xx
In my case my CS3 (also with CS2) is linked by an internet cable (straight or crossover no difference)
My configuration with a Windows 10 64 bit laptop is as follows:
CS2 IP Manuel
IP 192.168.000.23
IP Mask 255.255.255.000
IP-Gateway 192.168.000.001
DNS Server 192.168.000.001
CS2 CAN Broadcast
Ziel-Adresse 192.168.000.255

Rocrail /rocrail/eigenschaften/Zentrale  Adresse 192.168.000.23
PC IPV4 Eigenschaften
Benütze folgende Adresse
IP 192.168.000.101
IP Mask 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway 192.168.000.001

Use folgende DNS Adresse

I hope this helps
Jean
Offline French_Fabrice  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2021 13:44:51(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

See this post https://www.marklin-user...ps-and-tricks#post456314 for a basic description of networking.

BTW, 10.0.0.11 is not surprising for a non public address (i.e. an LAN address), even if classical small home networks use more frequently something in the range 192.168.x.y.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2021 14:17:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi George
A few thing I forgot to answer:
* Yes Rocrail supports a network (Adresses assigned by a router DHCP). In your case you MUST as both your CS2, CS3 and PC must be connected together by Ethernet (and by the way your CS2 and CS3 must be conncted using a 60123 cable.
* on your CS2 seems to be the master, then the CS3 needs to be configured as a slave (on your CS3 go to systems settings/Main Auxiliary devices). Select Auxiliary device and enter the CS2 IP address.
May be I miss something?
Here is my system in operation

Jean

Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2021 17:37:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Yes. That is why I said the IP address looked strange since I thought it should start with 192.

10,x.y.z is a valid local IP address range, same as 192.x.y.z. While the latter is more common for home networks the former is also sometimes the default for some routers.
Offline PMPeter  
#14 Posted : 29 March 2021 17:43:52(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yes. That is why I said the IP address looked strange since I thought it should start with 192.

10,x.y.z is a valid local IP address range, same as 192.x.y.z. While the latter is more common for home networks the former is also sometimes the default for some routers.

I didn't say it was not a valid IP address, but it is not an IP address that will work with RocRail, which is what the question of this thread was all about.
Offline Harvey  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2021 03:00:14(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Everyone,
Thank you for the help. Of course challenges remain.

So, last night I got the on/off command working from the laptop. I had used the CAN IP address of 192.168.0.255. Today, did not work. I had set the DHCP button on last night and so I changed to manual. I had also set the CAN tab to Auto. Now changed back to broadcast. I noticed that the IP screen shows a new IP Add - was 10.0.0.11, now 10.0.0.13. All other addresses unchanged
So CS2 has IP Add 10.0.0.13
IP Net 255.255.255.0
IP Gateway 10.0.0.1
DNS Server 10.0.0.1
CAN IP 192.168.0.255

I don't know how to list the Rocrail address like Jean displayed

I entered the CS2 IP add of 10.0.0.13 into RocRail Properties and was again able to turn the CS2 on/off. Rebooted the CS2. No IP addresses changed and still able to turn on/off.. I am not changingany of the settings in the CS2 - leaving CHCP off and Can at broadcast.

Since these are first tries by me - quite exciting to be able to turn power on/off from the laptop. But now onto more exciting things.

Regards
Harvey

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline PeFu  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2021 07:32:28(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
One purpose of the DHCP router function is to enable more devices access to the LAN. ”Oh, here’s a new device connecting, I’ll give it one of my currently free IP addresses”. When a device is returning, it will probably be given the same address as before. But not everytime, and this is what I understand part of your challenge above.

At home, for most of us, the number of LAN devices is not critical. In decent routers, it is also possible set the ”DHCP range”. I.e., if your router is on 192.168.0.1, you can set the DHCP range e.g. to 192.168.0.2-160.

I would recommend that you set your PC, CS2 and CS3 IP addresses outside this DHCP range, i.e. in my example starting with 192.168.0.161. If you find problems doing this, you could:

(1) First set the DHCP range in the router to 192.168.0.161-255

(2) Reboot the units you couldn’t change the IP address for.

(3) Finally set the DHCP range in the router to 192.168.0.2-160

In some routers, you might also need to point out certain devices as having fixed addresses, else they could be forced back into the DHCP range again, once rebooted...

Some devices and software actively searches for ”friends” on the LAN, and then you don’t need to bother about IP addresses. But Rocrail for example could be looking for maybe 20-30 potential types of ”controllers” (like the CS3), which makes a challenge for the software developer.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Harvey  
#17 Posted : 21 August 2021 02:43:12(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
It's been a while since I tried to get RocRail to work - spending time replacing M track with K track on the passenger line.

Now back to RocRail. I loaded my first two locs and they run fine with the exception that F1 button does not turn lights on. Have not researched that further as I wanted to create a small layout and add signals, turn outs and sensors. I have a CS2, 1 S88 Link and 4 S88 and several M83 (K83) and M84 (K84) along with several signals and blocks. I can not follow the instructions in RocRail in how to add a signal or switch (how do I get RocRail to recognize my decoders, lights, sensors)?

Appreciate any info on first steps.

Thanks
Harvey
Offline JohnjeanB  
#18 Posted : 21 August 2021 10:03:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
With Rocrail, lights are F0 not F1 (Usually smoke on steamers) and this is Märklin's function layout (not Rocrail's)
cheers

Jean
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 21 August 2021 12:17:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I didn't say it was not a valid IP address, but it is not an IP address that will work with RocRail, which is what the question of this thread was all about.

Your statement is complete nonsense unless there is some quirk built into Rocrail that restricts used IP address ranges to those in the 192.x.x.x which breaks everything in the Internet Protocol Standard.

Just because they use a 192.x.x.x example surely doesn't mean you're restricted to only using those ranges. You should be able to use any ip address range including all of the private ones -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 21 August 2021 12:24:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had used the CAN IP address of 192.168.0.255. Today, did not work. I had set the DHCP button on last night and so I changed to manual. I had also set the CAN tab to Auto. Now changed back to broadcast. I noticed that the IP screen shows a new IP Add - was 10.0.0.11, now 10.0.0.13. All other addresses unchanged
So CS2 has IP Add 10.0.0.13
IP Net 255.255.255.0
IP Gateway 10.0.0.1
DNS Server 10.0.0.1
CAN IP 192.168.0.255

The CAN IP address you are using will never work because it isn't on the same networking subnet.

It seems you are using 10.0.0.0/24 as your networking range (10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 (24bits)).

Your CAN IP address should be set to the broadcast address of your network, i.e, 10.0.0.255

If your CS2 keeps getting a different address from your DHCP server, you should be able to reserve the address the CS2 gets from the DHCP server against the CS2's MAC address.
Offline Harvey  
#21 Posted : 21 August 2021 12:57:01(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Harvey
With Rocrail, lights are F0 not F1 (Usually smoke on steamers) and this is Märklin's function layout (not Rocrail's)
cheers

Jean

Jean

Thanks for clarifying. Any initial steps that I need to follow to have Rocrail 'see' my S88s and other decoders?

Regards
Harvey

Offline PMPeter  
#22 Posted : 21 August 2021 16:11:25(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Your statement is complete nonsense unless there is some quirk built into Rocrail that restricts used IP address ranges to those in the 192.x.x.x which breaks everything in the Internet Protocol Standard.

Thanks for pointing that out, nearly 5 months after I made that incorrect statement and the issue was subsequently resolved by others.

Offline PMPeter  
#23 Posted : 21 August 2021 16:34:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Harvey,

When you build your track plan in Rocrail the individual components such as switches, sensors, etc. all get entered with no address. So in order for Rocrail to recognize these items you need to right click on the individual component in the track plan, click on Properties which then sets up the configuration tabs for that item. On the General tab set up the component ID to whatever you want to call it or what you call it on your CS. Then select the Interface tab and change the Protocol from Default to either DCC or Motorola depending on what you are using (eg. for a switch). Then you need to set up either the Address or the Port to match that of the CS.

Similarly for a sensor, change the ID to what you want and then on the Interface tab enter the address of the S88 contact.

Signals in Rocrail can be far more complicated, especially when dealing with Distant signals. I would suggest holding off on these until you have your switches, sensors and block commands working properly. Start small and get individual components working one block at a time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 21 August 2021 23:42:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks for pointing that out, nearly 5 months after I made that incorrect statement and the issue was subsequently resolved by others.

Hardly the point, is it? I don't read everything on the forum all at once. If I see an incorrect statement posted regardless of how old it is and it hasn't been corrected, I'll correct it. Doesn't matter if it's 5 months old or 5 years old, the advice is still wrong and needs to be corrected.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#25 Posted : 22 August 2021 01:24:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
Thanks for clarifying.Any initial steps that I need to follow to have Rocrail 'see' my S88s and other decoders?

On Rocrail you use the mbus controller when using a CS2 or CS3. The controller declaration defines for Rocrail what interface you have with your layout.
I suggest you read this https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=mbus:mbus-en
This is about how to declare the number of M88 (with flat cable) you connect to your CS2
Also the connection of a Link88 is explained
S88 Declaration.png
In this example a Link88 named "1" is attached to the CS2 or CS3 and 6 is the number of S88 modules.
If you have only M88 you don't fill the S88 part but only the number of S88 or M88 you have
I believe Rocrail obtains from your CS2 the length of your M88 bus
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Harvey  
#26 Posted : 22 August 2021 16:20:17(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Jean

Thanks for the screen shot and example. I have 1 Link 88 and 4 S88 connected to the L88. I had not set up that last screen but now have. I have made much progress in adding signals and turnouts to my first sample layout.

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#27 Posted : 22 August 2021 17:06:53(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have set up the MBUS screen as shown by Jean, with LinkS88 ID=1 and Modules = 1, I have 2 buses attached to the L88, each bus is length 2 (so, 4 S88) I entered 5 for the S88 Module box in Jean's screen.

I am now trying to add a sensor to my track diagram. But not understanding the instructions. Hopefully my screen shot of the Sensor Interface appears. I set the address to that of my S88 (1011 or D3). Left the node ID at 0 and did not change anything else. On the general tab, I named my first sensor as WEMS (West End Main Station).

After applying and hitting Ok, the sensor is on my diagram but nothing changes (on the real layout) when I click on the button.

Sensor SH.png

Appreciate advice.

Regards
Harvey
Offline JohnjeanB  
#28 Posted : 22 August 2021 21:46:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
Assuming you use a Link88 named "1" on your Central Station, then, in your example "Node ID" should be at 1 (the Link88 name Rocrail will be looking for.

Then according to your example 1011 will be contact 11 on first S88 connected to the Link88 BUS 1
It would be 011 for the same contact 11 on the Link88, 2011 for the first S88 connected to the Link88 BUS 2
For cascading S88, you add 16 to the contact number (1037 for the 2nd S88, 2037 for the same on bus2, etc)
Better make a simple excel Table of you sensors and use
Cheers
Jean
Offline Harvey  
#29 Posted : 22 August 2021 22:47:46(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Jean

Again, my thanks

In my CS2 set up, the L88 has the following Type name 2931 and Device ID 115.

When my trains run and Rocrail shows all that code, it shows the following (as an example)

Sensor 115:1011 state =1 value =65535 and then a few lines later
Sensor 115:1011 state =0 value =30

The commands in the CS2(L88) are executed (via the cs2) but not on the layout I created in Rocrail. My Rocrail layout does allow me to change signals I created but the sensor is not linked to it. One of my settings is incorrect.

Regards
Harvey
Offline JohnjeanB  
#30 Posted : 23 August 2021 11:11:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
here are some shoots in the dark
The CS2 Lin88 screen looks like this by me (sorry German version)
CS2 Setup Edit Gerate Bearbeiten.png
Notice the 1 that should also appear in Rocrail screen (instead of 115 by your layout)

One feature of Rocrail is great: the Sensor Monitor. You can start it by the Control Tab/Sensor monitor
What is does is to report any sensor activity in a log format. So if you are not sure of a sensor address then start the Sensor monitor and toggle (trigger) your sensor and the address will be displayed. Of course the link CS2 - your Laptop should be working.

What I did is to use a routeur as a link to connect the CS2 and the layout in DHCP mode. So the router assigned addresses. Next I kept these addresses "frozen" in manual mode (non DHCP), using a direct Ethernet cable between CS2 and Laptop (It can still get access to the Internet by WiFi)

How to check the link
  1. Does the power ON / OFF on Rocrail sets the CS2 accordingly?
  2. When changing the speed on a loco from Rocrail changes the speed of same loco on the CS2?
  3. Conversely when changing the speed of a loco on the CS2 changes the speed of the same loco in Rocrail?
  4. Do all the switches can be controlled directly from your Rocrail screen?
  5. When a switch is changed from the CS2, does it reports the same change on Rocrail?
  6. When a sensor is changed on your layout, does it shows on the Sensor monitor?

Sorry for th boring message but sometimes testing is boring but is the prelude to a lot of fun in Rocrail operations
Cheers
Jean