Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Big AL  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2020 20:18:15(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Sorry for the n00b questions.

I am thinking on a split baseboard for ease of storage and transportation and I am wondering on the feasibility of having the split cross 4 sections of straight track at the track joints.

My proposed layout is at this link and the proposed split is the thin black vertical line in the centre of the image.

https://imgur.com/ROS05PY

Should I just forget this idea as practically unworkable in terms of not being able to join eight fishplates?

Also I have only one power feed section. Is that enough? Do I need more? If so, where would they need to go?
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2020 22:58:25(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Big AL Go to Quoted Post

I am thinking on a split baseboard for ease of storage and transportation and I am wondering on the feasibility of having the split cross 4 sections of straight track at the track joints.

My proposed layout is at this link and the proposed split is the thin black vertical line in the centre of the image.

Should I just forget this idea as practically unworkable in terms of not being able to join eight fishplates?

Also I have only one power feed section. Is that enough? Do I need more? If so, where would they need to go?

I think it all depends how good your swearing is. If you are an expert you may be able to deal with the fiddly job of simultaneously aligning eight rail ends, but it will take some championship cursing. I think it would be better to split the baseboard mid track section and have those sections removable, but even that would be quite fiddly unless they're quite long sections, I think.

Exhibition layouts normally just cut the track at baseboard joins, supporting the rail ends by soldering them to a strip of copper-clad board glued to the baseboard, but this is often quite unsightly and will be more so at Z scale.

As for your power feed question, I would suggest at the very least you isolate the two loops at the crossover and feed power to each loop separately. On a single baseboard I wouldn't see the necessity to have any more feeds on a layout this size. However, if you do decide to split it, I'd suggest you have a feed per loop on each baseboard section.

Hope that is of help, all the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Big AL  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2020 23:33:30(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Haha! I imagine it could get quite sweary. Thanks for the answers. I do appreciate the advice and will follow it. I think I am erring on not splitting the layout. 800x600 is not so big.
Offline phils2um  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2020 02:11:49(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Check out this site: http://www.ztrackmagazin...nd_Track_Manual_2004.pdf

It has standards for the interface between z gauge modular RR modules. The standard uses Märkin 100mm to 120mm adjustable length z-gauge track sections, No. 8592 to bridge the gap between modules. If I ever get around to building my z-gauge layout it will be based on these Z-Bend modular standards!
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2020 04:38:27(UTC)
Bahner

United States   

With some patience and perseverance it can be done (this is only my second layout, first one in Z scale):

Kleinhopfensee Both Track Lines Running_102018.jpg

The track ends very nearly touch each other (no physical connection), so they must meet precisely in the horizontal and vertical planes to prevent derailing. Numerous male/female electrical plugs located between both halves provide precise alignment and electrical connections. Because they aren't physically connected, each side's track sections have power routed where needed. I decided to go this route to avoid having to connect tiny and fiddly fishplates.

A short video of a consist running the outer track:

Kleinhopfensee Z Scale Outer Track Running Email_083118.wmv (3,072kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

Custom storage boxes:

Kleinhopfensee Box Inside.jpgKleinhopfensee Carrying and Storage Boxes_102019.jpg

Layout is still a work in progress (more photos and details here):

Kleinhopfensee (Z Scale)

Ralph.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2020 10:57:26(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I think I am erring on not splitting the layout. 800x600 is not so big.

Unless you are really pushed for storage space, I would not split such a small layout. The first part of my layout was completely portable at 125cm x 55cm (and got stored under a bed - with a suitable cover). I once tried splitting a 120cm x 60cm "N" scale layout; it was more trouble than it was worth (track joining, electrical and scenery problems) and it soon became one board again. Crying

Carim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Big AL  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2020 13:58:26(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Guys, thanks for your great replies. I love that Z-bend modular concept.

I live in a teeny tiny UK house where literally if I had two cats I would need to take turns at swinging them.

This is what I am leaning towards... Electrically feeding each loop on both sides of the split as per Chris's suggestion.

I will butt the track together without the fishplates and try for precise alignment using some king of key alignment system on the bases. Maybe a couple of hinges with a removable pin. Or dowels and sockets.

If I don't like how its working it will become one piece, as in Carim's experience. :) Splitting would be a nice to have rather than a fixed requirement. It sure would be more "acceptable" to the management committee in two smaller pieces.
Offline IanC  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2020 16:42:34(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
For a layout this simple, I'd use C track as it is reliable and has no fishplates and set it up from assembling individual pieces of track as I do with my basic Marklin exhibition demonstration layout.

IanC
Offline Big AL  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2020 17:18:46(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
For a layout this simple, I'd use C track as it is reliable and has no fishplates and set it up from assembling individual pieces of track as I do with my basic Marklin exhibition demonstration layout.

IanC

I already have all my track Ian, but thanks for the suggestion. I have the S, T2 and a whole load of other boxed track.