Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Don Morris  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:14:04(UTC)
Don Morris

New Zealand   
Has anyone any idea if Marklin is ever going to sort out dialogue boxes on these two controller.
I understand a few words of German, however that doesn't help when the majority are in German.
other than Germany I suspect the majority of enthusiasts would use English?Confused
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2020 06:36:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You do know you can select English language for both controllers?

Have you done that, and have found that there are still one or two dialog boxes still in German (which is the case with the CS2, don't know re the CS3)?

Or are you still in German language mode?
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2020 08:02:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Don Morris Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone any idea if Marklin is ever going to sort out dialogue boxes on these two controller.
I understand a few words of German, however that doesn't help when the majority are in German.
other than Germany I suspect the majority of enthusiasts would use English?Confused

Yes indeed - wouldn't that be nice.

Something that would be REALLY helpful, would be a thread, (such as this) where the ONLY thing posted are screenshots of any messages that are not in English and where others who know the translation can post that.

As a starting point, most messages could be simply run through an online translation service to get a rough interpretation, then they could be tidied up as time goes on with better or more accurate translations.

Perhaps Don you could kick this off with the specific examples you are referring to?

I suggest that the text be kept minimal, a picture paints 1,000 words etc but absolutely essential would be the specific steps that generated the message.

Let's try an example... On my unit (60214) an easy message that I already know, but someone else may not. From Setup, click on the "Network" icon - with no Network cable connected you'll get this;

P1060738.JPG

I photographed it and put the file onto my PC, in a dedicated folder for CS messages. Next step, using MS Paint I cropped the image to the text only and re-saved it (with a slight change to the file name) as a simple jpg image file.

NWError-P1060738.jpg

Next, head to an Online OCR program. I have used for a long time this one https://www.onlineocr.net/ - fast and easy

OnlineOCR.jpg

Simply upload the file with the text, select the language to be recognised (important) and if you want to save it you can select the output format. But for this example as soon as you click 'Convert', the recognised text will appear in the window below.

Now simply hi-light and copy that text (CTRL-C), head over to your preferred translation site (I mainly use Google Translate), select your input and output language, paste the text (CTRL-V) and you have your answer.

GTranslate.jpg

"The network interface is not (yet) ready. Check the network cable and start the network update again if necessary."

Done!

It may seem convoluted at first, but the entire process of translating that error, from photographing it to the result? - probably 3 minutes, if that.

I use this process frequently. And for short sections of text that's all you need. Others may have their preferred method, this works for me.

I suggest we could quickly build up a library of reference messages that could be a very helpful resource.

Hope it helps

Regards

Cookee

Edited by user 18 April 2020 02:09:19(UTC)  | Reason: Typos, clarity

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Jay
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2020 08:33:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
I photographed it and put the file onto my PC....

Oh dear......!

It may seem convoluted at first.....

You don't say!

That says to me that you don't know about the feature of Google translate when installed on an Android phone that lets you aim the phone's camera at some foreign text and it will translate it for you on the fly. Great for when you're wandering around Germany and need to know what a sign is saying...

https://play.google.com/...apps.translate&hl=en

I'm assuming there's an IOS version as well.

But as I say in my first post, I'm interested in knowing whether Don is referring to the residual messages that show up in German even though you have English language selected or whether he hasn't selected English and everything is in German.

As to the former, those messages have been there in one form or another since the CS2 was released 12 years ago. They haven't been corrected in 12 years (or if they have, others have been introduced), so I wouldn't be expecting them to be corrected anytime soon...
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2020 08:52:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I photographed it and put the file onto my PC....

Oh dear......!

It may seem convoluted at first.....

You don't say!

That says to me that you don't know about the feature of Google translate when installed on an Android phone that lets you aim the phone's camera at some foreign text and it will translate it for you on the fly. Great for when you're wandering around Germany and need to know what a sign is saying...

https://play.google.com/...apps.translate&hl=en

But as I say in my first post, I'm interested in knowing whether Don is referring to the residual messages that show up in German even though you have English language selected or whether he hasn't selected English and everything is in German.

As to the former, those messages have been there in one form or another since the CS2 was released 12 years ago. They haven't been corrected in 12 years (or if they have, others have been introduced), so I wouldn't be expecting them to be corrected anytime soon...

Phew - shot down!! Imagine if you weren't a loving mate - a guy could take offence

Hence my suggestion to compile a reference of them.

As for the steps, I know too well the phone feature, we used it frequently while traveling as did you. Using the phone is helpful, but not an exact science and we had some frustrating fails.

But it would not help with compiling a tidy reference as I suggested. Some messages might only come up now and then and for a one-off ok. But if you had several you were able to reproduce then you'd do the conversion in a batch.

But all that aside, I guarantee 'someone' here will have learned something from my suggestion.

Pity you did not make the phone translation suggestion in your own response about it being in English which was actually before mine Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2020 09:26:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Pity you did not make the phone translation suggestion in your own response about it being in English.....

There's a reason for that, as that would be getting ahead of the unanswered question I asked first up! Don's original post isn't clear whether he's seeing everything in German or just one or two messages.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2020 09:55:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Don Morris Go to Quoted Post
That's a Sisyphus task.

Here is a thread where we collected improved English translations for the CS2 some time ago:
https://www.marklin-user...-English-CS2-translation
I like the first screenshot with eight errors in two sentences.

Märklin actually improved some of their translations later on.
But when they rewrote large parts of the CS2 to support 32 functions, many old English dialogues got lost and many new German dialogues appeared.

Each time I see my CS2 "retriving" [sic] updates I am reminded of this Sisyphus task. I have my CS2 set to English, but as a native German I can understand their Denglish dialogues - at least most of the time.

Feel free to start new threads. I'm out for now.

French:
https://www.marklin-user...e-French-CS2-translation

Italian:
https://www.marklin-user...-Italian-CS2-translation

Swedish:
https://www.marklin-user...-Swedish-CS2-translation
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline DigitalNZ  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2020 10:01:44(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

There sure is - I've used it to translate parts of "Das Gleisplanbuch" - Art. Nr 07455
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DigitalNZ
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2020 15:49:22(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Not exactly CS2, CS3 dilogue boxes but...Is there a way to know what the sound functions are saying in Germna? I mean, recently I got the BR 75 Insider with four dialogue functions that I don´t understand because nor do I German neither can put them into a translator. Any translations anywhere?
Thanks in advance
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com