Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#101 Posted : 30 March 2020 12:21:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sounds like a good 3D printing project to me.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dickinsonj  
#102 Posted : 30 March 2020 16:42:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Those are some impressive loads that you both have shown - nice work!

You guys are giving me hope that I will eventually get my 49570 working as it should. BigGrin

bph - your picture helps, but can you point out specifically where each line should spool? The spool on the right in your image shows line on both segments. Should that cable be only be on the middle one?
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline bph  
#103 Posted : 30 March 2020 18:49:30(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Those are some impressive loads that you both have shown - nice work!

You guys are giving me hope that I will eventually get my 49570 working as it should. BigGrin

bph - your picture helps, but can you point out specifically where each line should spool? The spool on the right in your image shows line on both segments. Should that cable be only be on the middle one?

Hi
The drum in the right of the picture (front drum) is for the hook. you can see that I forced the rope over the flange to the centre compartment. There are no flange openings.
The left (rear drum) is for the boom and it drums 2 ropes at the same time. The left drum also have 3 compartments. And you can see that Märklin have forced one of the ropes over the flange. Is recommended to use a separate compartment for each of the 2 boom ropes. They seem to spool fairly ok as is.
501D1733_R.jpg

To compare with the Goliath. Each drum has a single compartment, and the boom has only one rope. as a result, the spooling is therefore better.
501D1767_r.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline QQQ1970  
#104 Posted : 30 March 2020 19:41:43(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Auhagen has a spreader beam that comes as part of the 41654 transformer kit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
bph
Offline dickinsonj  
#105 Posted : 30 March 2020 21:13:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

The drum in the right of the picture (front drum) is for the hook. you can see that I forced the rope over the flange to the centre compartment.

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I was assuming but I wanted to make sure that I understood what should going on with the ropes before I tried intervening. If this system is not stable it would have been a help for Märklin to have provided some information on exactly where each line should spool.

But thanks to your help I now know what the goal is, which increases my odd for success!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
bph
Offline bph  
#106 Posted : 30 March 2020 23:31:26(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like a good 3D printing project to me.. Smile

Sounds like a good idea, if wat they print are strong enough. But since I don’t have that much use for a 3d printer it’s a bit too much money for just a couple of spreader beams.

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Auhagen has a spreader beam that comes as part of the 41654 transformer kit.

Thanks, have seen your thread on this subject also.
Offline QQQ1970  
#107 Posted : 14 December 2020 00:37:01(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Hi, I have an update for one feature that I only figure out now.

On Märklin website there is a description that the counterweight can be stowed on the crane.

"A counterweight made of metal can be partially removed and placed on the buffer attachment."

However the manual makes no mention of that feature. After some testing I finally figure out how this works. See picture attached. I rotate the crane boom and it clears the counterweight barely but it works. The counterweight is magnetic so it sticks to the chassis.

Enjoy.

20201213_181344.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline QQQ1970  
#108 Posted : 20 August 2021 23:03:37(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
It has been a while since I last posted and revive an old thread.

Shortly after I posted my last message the hook stopped to function. It did not go up or down. The cable was properly spooled and no untangling. After resetting the decoder to no avail, I took the crane to my dealer who shipped it back to factory for repairs. And now it is back.

A nice surprise is the factory throws in the slinged weight that comes with 49571 but not 49570. Now I have a weight when to keep the cable taut when lowering the hook.

Enjoy.

20210819_222424.jpg20210819_223846.jpg

Edited by user 21 August 2021 14:55:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JohnjeanB  
#109 Posted : 21 August 2021 02:11:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I assume it is important especially at the start when the ropes are a bit stiff.
Probably after some use, the ropes are much more flexible (unwind nicely) and I never observed this on my Goliath (now more than 10 years old)
Cheers
Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#110 Posted : 21 August 2021 02:18:44(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
The situation is different. Goliath hook has sufficient weight to keep the cable taut when it is lowered. On the other hand, the prototypical dimension of Ardent crane means its hook does not have sufficient weight to keep the cable taut, which could cause the cable to unspool if the hook is lowered without weight. This is explicitly listed as warning in the Ardelt manual, but no such warning in Goliath manual.

That has nothing to do with the age of the cable. I have Goliath and that was never an issue.
Offline dickinsonj  
#111 Posted : 21 August 2021 14:27:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
My Ardelt crane will not unspool its hook either. I tried just activating it a couple of times and realized that all I was doing was unspooling the cable, so I stopped trying to operate it for now. Another problem is that the crane body rotates so quickly that it is difficult to get it stopped while lined up correctly with the car. That leads to tracking issues and once I had it properly stowed I have not moved it again. Unfortunately I see it more as a pretty display piece than as a functional crane, and I don't imagine that it will ever see much operation on my layout. ThumbDown

Eventually I might try adding some weight to the hook and then carefully watch it and make sure it ends up properly spooled. For now it is causing me no trouble at all because it is safely packed away in its box. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#112 Posted : 21 August 2021 14:53:21(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Agree it is a design oversight the crane rotation speed cannot be adjusted with CV. In that regard the Goliath is better where rotation speed is controlled by speed knob.

One has to appreciate Ardelt for its dimensions. Märklin tries to keep dimensions prototypical and that means cable is thin and hook lacks weight. You can't access the cable like the open top of Goliath and any unspooling is difficult to fix. Then they have to pack a smoking unit too. So it is a very good and intricate design as far as that goes, but a less robust toy than Goliath. I don't sweat running Goliath at 30 or 40% speed knowing I can respool the cable if needed, but I operate Ardelt at 10% max to make sure anything movement is controlled and no damage is done before it is too late.

I recently acquired Roco EDK crane. Suffice to say there is only one hook cable and you can't mess it up, but it has a boxy functional look and lacks the elegance of the old crane we come to know.

20210819_221209.jpg

Edited by user 29 August 2021 22:58:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970