Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#51 Posted : 01 September 2019 20:43:32(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I unpacked the accessories kit. Can you spot what goes wrong? Sad

20190901_145921.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline JohnjeanB  
#52 Posted : 02 September 2019 11:48:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

This crane is really beautiful, it belongs to era III (my favourite). I like the sound and details. Unfortunately a bit too costly for my wallet.
I have the Goliath one (yellow) without sound, era IV or V and huge (too much I think). The other difference is that crane rotation is much more prototypical (really slow) on the Goliath (IMO).
Cheers

Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#53 Posted : 02 September 2019 14:13:41(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Jean, thanks for your kind words. I don't have the goliath so I can't compare. Judging from the size and construction, I suspect the goliath has higher lifting capacity. I recall that is rated at 250g but the steam crane is not rated.

Agree the fast crane rotation is a drawback and it is hard to align the crane with the centre axle.

I prefer era 3. I have a small setup and Ardelt 57t fits well from size standpoint.

Change gears. Still no one can spot what is wrong in the accessories kit?
Offline Swimmer  
#54 Posted : 02 September 2019 15:13:43(UTC)
Swimmer

South Africa   
Hi,

It looks like in the top row of the pallets, the third one from the left does not have a hole in it, or it is correct and the others have got holes in them.

Regards
Offline QQQ1970  
#55 Posted : 02 September 2019 15:25:01(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Bingo. That hole allows cylindrical magnets to pass to secure the crane support arm on the ground. Need to get a replacement from the factory.
Offline Mikael  
#56 Posted : 15 September 2019 14:04:26(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
A couple of weeks ago, I finally got my crane. I haven't had the time to have a look at it before today. It is beautiful to look at...... But unfortunately that is all the positive I can say about it. The crane is completely unresponsive on the tracks. It doesn't register itself as mfx should. It doesn't do anything when manually trying DCC or MM protocols.
To anyone with a working crane: Does it respond to reading CV registers? Because mine doesn't even react to that, except for a slight flickering of the lights when trying to read a CV.

This crane is the most expensive paperweight I've got to date.
Offline QQQ1970  
#57 Posted : 16 September 2019 09:51:52(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Mikael, as posted earlier by bph, there was a batch of cranes that had decoder issue and returned to factory. Yours may be among that batch and similarly inflicted.

When you remove the crane from the packaging and place it on the track for the initial registration, did you support the boom on the flat car?

Sebastian
Offline Mikael  
#58 Posted : 16 September 2019 16:59:55(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Mikael, as posted earlier by bph, there was a batch of cranes that had decoder issue and returned to factory. Yours may be among that batch and similarly inflicted.

That may be. I returned it to my dealer today, and he couldn't get it to work either. While I was there, he also checked up on the service bulletins (or whatever they are called) from Märklin, and he couldn't find anything about known decoder issues with the crane, let alone any recalls.

Quote:
When you remove the crane from the packaging and place it on the track for the initial registration, did you support the boom on the flat car?

Yes I did.
Offline QQQ1970  
#59 Posted : 17 September 2019 06:56:14(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Sounds like your crane is a dud. I would have thought your dealer would test the crane before delivery.
Offline Mikael  
#60 Posted : 17 September 2019 16:15:34(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
I would have thought your dealer would test the crane before delivery.

Nope. I got it completely untouched and still sealed in its box.
Offline QQQ1970  
#61 Posted : 17 September 2019 18:48:46(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
My dealer tested the crane with me together for 1.5h before I took delivery.
Offline xxup  
#62 Posted : 17 September 2019 23:19:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Some years ago, I asked my dealer why he did not test locos etc before they were delivered to his customers. His response was that feedback from customers was that they preferred that their boxes were not opened before delivery. In the past twenty plus years, he has only had a handful of "dead on arrival" locos.

In other words, the likelihood of failure is very low and the consequent cost of freight returns is not an impact on his bottom line - my thoughts not his.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dickinsonj  
#63 Posted : 18 September 2019 01:35:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mikael Go to Quoted Post

Nope. I got it completely untouched and still sealed in its box.

I have one option to have a dealer check out my models before they are shipped to me, but he is in Canada and I live in the US, so the costs are too high.

Mine all come straight out of the shrink wrap now and I just cross my fingers and hope. My 49570 looks lovely but has not yet been powered, and it looks like I need to find the time to do that soon. I will post what I find.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline QQQ1970  
#64 Posted : 27 September 2019 01:08:19(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Glad to hear your crane has finally arrived
Offline dickinsonj  
#65 Posted : 28 September 2019 02:02:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Thanks! I hope to test it out soon, although layout running is months away for me.

So just registering it and watching it put on its show should be pretty cool for starters. Cool

assuming that it actually works at all of course, which is not always the case. ThumbDown

We have some killer heat coming about midweek - sounds like a good time for the old timer to stay indoors and just meddle about with his trains. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline QQQ1970  
#66 Posted : 28 September 2019 09:25:20(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Phascolarctos Go to Quoted Post
QQQ1970: Marklin has not yet produced that model. A suitable model was produced by Roco as a "Gueterzugbegleitwagen" (=caboose). It has the correct era 3 color (dark green), although not the respective lettering. But you wouldn't notice once a few feet away... I have added two (Fleischmann and Brawa) green covered vans, a gondola to carry the coal and a tank wagon for water to complete the train. My favorite locomotive is either the BR 94 (Maerklin) or BR 82 (Piko) tank loco.

Cheers, Phascolarctos

I spoke with Marklin product manager Karl-Heinz Gräßle at IMA and expressed my wish to see a complementary car set for the steam crane, like coal car and water tender, crew car, etc. He acknowledged the production issue and my points and maybe we see something in 2020 or 2021 new items.

Sebastian
Offline QQQ1970  
#67 Posted : 05 October 2019 13:44:00(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Thanks! I hope to test it out soon, although layout running is months away for me.

So just registering it and watching it put on its show should be pretty cool for starters. Cool

assuming that it actually works at all of course, which is not always the case. ThumbDown

We have some killer heat coming about midweek - sounds like a good time for the old timer to stay indoors and just meddle about with his trains. BigGrin

So does it work ok?
Offline dickinsonj  
#68 Posted : 07 October 2019 01:34:43(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

So does it work ok?

Man, you are making me look bad. BigGrin

Unfortunately it is still not tested but at least there is slight progress. Just today I cleaned up the room where I assemble my trains and track and I really do intend to check it out very soon. Of course I am also completing the finish carpentry in our just remodeled kitchen, including insulating and trimming out a new exterior door before cold weather arrives. So I remain under pretty tough time pressure but I am nearly ready to get my CS2 and stuff set up in a test/programming environment, for a number of needs.

The very first task will be to test out that crane. Stay tuned. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#69 Posted : 09 October 2019 01:37:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
So does it work ok?

The short answer is yes. It registered perfectly and all of the functions appear to work correctly, so I don't have the problems that some have had.

My biggest complaint is the same as yours if I remember correctly, in that the crane body rotates too quickly and can't be stopped precisely. I have tried several times and I can not get it lined up properly with the frame of the crane. It is close enough and probably would run on my track with the lateral play in the boom. It sure would make it tough to do any work with it though and so far none of the parameters seem to change that behavior.

The CVs are actually pretty strange. They list acceleration and braking delay as well as maximum speed, but changing them does not seem to affect the motor operation and they really don't make a lot of sense. The boom raise/lower speed is good, as is moving the hook, but not the body rotation. I suppose they might have set separate constraints on the three motion functions and maybe I will eventually load the program for that decoder up in my programming environment and take a look. Unfortunately even if I can find a way to alter this behavior the chip might be locked, making it difficult to change things. I do know some tricks to bypass the locks but they are not for the faint of heart. BigGrin

Then there is the obvious one, which Märklin calls out in their literature. The hook, to be correctly sized, does not have enough weight to lower by itself when you slack that cable. Not only does that prevent totally remote operation but it seems like a great way to screw up your lines if you are not careful. The next time I run it I will try hanging something heavy on the hook and see if that does the trick. I went back to the videos I watched before buying and I now see that they never show several of the more problematic operations and now I know why.ThumbDown

I operated it briefly without the outriggers deployed and found that not to be a good idea. I will set those up properly before I use it again. I do not see it spending too much time running on my layout, but rather staged where it can do its thing, at least as far as it is able. I have always wanted a crane that I could remotely operate and maybe that is just too much to ask in HO scale. More and more I am thinking that I need a lot less MRR stuff but really quality models in 1 gauge. But I have a considerable investment in HO and it would really cost me to change now. Still I do think about that from time to time. Cool
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#70 Posted : 09 October 2019 21:52:40(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks for your comprehensive report. By and large your observation align with other owners. The crane rotation is a design flaw in my view. My experience is if you lower the hook slowly, it doesn't slack the lines. I'd say the lines are not strong enough to support loads.
Offline dickinsonj  
#71 Posted : 10 October 2019 01:16:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks for your comprehensive report. By and large your observation align with other owners. The crane rotation is a design flaw in my view. My experience is if you lower the hook slowly, it doesn't slack the lines. I'd say the lines are not strong enough to support loads.

Yes, the rotation speed is clearly a design flaw and compromises the actual use of this model. I have only briefly tested it but I had one instance where I could hear the hook line unspooling and not only didn't the hook lower it wouldn't budge even when I tugged on it. Not sure what was going on but the next time I test it I will have the boom raised enough that I can observe what is happening.

That is an interesting observation about the lines not being able to support loads. If that is true then none of the other issues matter because you couldn't really operate it anyway. Märklin does not really specify what a reasonable lifting capacity is for this crane, but perhaps they should.

So if it does not run well on the layout and can't actually lift things, I have to wonder what purpose it serves beyond sitting around in a yard and looking pretty. It is indeed very pretty but quite a lot of money for a paperweight.

I held out on the Goliath crane because of the many people with issues and by the time I finally decided to jump in they were all sold at the dealers I use. I really should have waited longer to see what people thought of this one, but I guess that I finally have buying a Märklin crane checked off and I doubt that I will be tempted again.
Regards,
Jim

Offline JohnjeanB  
#72 Posted : 10 October 2019 14:21:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jim
IMO the Goliath crane works very well, can lift wagons and very small locos They also have no riding issues
The only negative thing is they are huge and yellow
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline QQQ1970  
#73 Posted : 10 October 2019 14:41:08(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I don't have Goliath, but judging from videos their lines look tougher than the one on Ardelt. I wonder why that is the case. I could be wrong. That said I was able to lift loads with the Ardelt and it works well so don't despair. You just need to be careful when operating it.

Given the relative size, I have no illusion it won't have the same load capacity as the Goliath.
Offline dickinsonj  
#74 Posted : 11 October 2019 02:00:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim
IMO the Goliath crane works very well, can lift wagons and very small locos They also have no riding issues
The only negative thing is they are huge and yellow
Cheers
Jean

Thanks - I did actually order one that was listed on dealer's website, after confirming its availability but was told that it had sold earlier that day. So close and it does not look like the Ardelt is anything but a curiosity to me right now.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#75 Posted : 11 October 2019 02:03:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I don't have Goliath, but judging from videos their lines look tougher than the one on Ardelt. I wonder why that is the case. I could be wrong. That said I was able to lift loads with the Ardelt and it works well so don't despair. You just need to be careful when operating it.

Given the relative size, I have no illusion it won't have the same load capacity as the Goliath.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will give it another go fairly soon. But I just don't see it being used much because it takes so much manual intervention and fiddling, which was not what I was looking for.

It will at the very least be a pretty addition to my layout and probably cause less frustration the fewer times I try to actually use it. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mrmarklin  
#76 Posted : 13 October 2019 17:52:30(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Thanks for the encouragement. I will give it another go fairly soon. But I just don't see it being used much because it takes so much manual intervention and fiddling, which was not what I was looking for.

It will at the very least be a pretty addition to my layout and probably cause less frustration the fewer times I try to actually use it. ThumpUp

In real life is one sees this type of equipment only on sidings. If it is being used, one is usually routed around it!BigGrin

So don’t worry about ever actually using it!
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Rwill  
#77 Posted : 13 October 2019 18:07:09(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

In real life is one sees this type of equipment only on sidings. If it is being used, one is usually routed around it!BigGrin

So don’t worry about ever actually using it!

Thank heavens for that then my Fleischmann set from the1980/90s with two rail wheels which tends to not like any turnout on earth which was rescued from the remainder bin in Beatties model rail shop in London for about £40 for the four car set never leaves it siding so it is strangely prototypical. Not sure I would feel the same way if I was 900 Euros poorer!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline QQQ1970  
#78 Posted : 02 November 2019 12:31:16(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   

I got a collector unused Goliath at a bargain price. I can attest the cables are thicker than Ardelt, which should support higher lifting capacity. It works well although like Ardelt it needs manual intervention especially when storing the main hook neatly on the flat car.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline QQQ1970  
#79 Posted : 24 November 2019 14:52:44(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Bingo. That hole allows cylindrical magnets to pass to secure the crane support arm on the ground. Need to get a replacement from the factory.

The missing piece arrived. I can attest the crane can lift weights as seen by the picture. It is not an expensive paper weight.

20191123_225832.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline bph  
#80 Posted : 07 December 2019 11:15:25(UTC)
bph

Norway   

The missing piece arrived. I can attest the crane can lift weights as seen by the picture. It is not an expensive paper weight.

20191123_225832.jpg

Mine finally arrived yesterday after a long wait, and it was missing the same pallet as QQQ1970.....
Had the dealer test it before he sipped it so digitally it works.
Offline QQQ1970  
#81 Posted : 07 December 2019 13:08:59(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Sounds like batch issue. Now you may have to wait another couple of months for the missing piece to come through before your crane can lift any meaningful weight.

The wait continues...
Offline dickinsonj  
#82 Posted : 08 December 2019 01:20:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The wait continues...

OK - here I am behind on things again. I have seen the posts about the wrong bases and mine are still in the bag and definitely need checked. I did get the crane out, registered it and tested it a bit. Just its own superstructure is about all that it can handle without the outriggers deployed, so they are essential.

I'm sure glad that it is so dang cute because getting work done does not appear to be its best feature. Reminds me of some of the women in my past. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline QQQ1970  
#83 Posted : 08 December 2019 06:01:48(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
The wait continues...

OK - here I am behind on things again. I have seen the posts about the wrong bases and mine are still in the bag and definitely need checked. I did get the crane out, registered it and tested it a bit. Just its own superstructure is about all that it can handle without the outriggers deployed, so they are essential.

I'm sure glad that it is so dang cute because getting work done does not appear to be its best feature. Reminds me of some of the women in my past. BigGrin

Feel free to check out my YouTube posted on Marklin user-net FB site. Many videos showing my Ardelt and Goliath lifting various loads. The Ardelt can lift a V60 shunter weighing 204g. It definitely is not an expensive paperweight.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline bph  
#84 Posted : 08 December 2019 13:45:59(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Sounds like batch issue. Now you may have to wait another couple of months for the missing piece to come through before your crane can lift any meaningful weight.

The wait continues...

The missing part is identical to the parts included with the Goliat cranes, so i can manage, while i wait.

I also discovered that the stake car is saghing, like in this post https://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166353
Is a bit disappointing considering the price tag. Have annyone else here discovered a sagging stake car? And anny luck geting it replaced?
Offline QQQ1970  
#85 Posted : 08 December 2019 14:11:25(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Someone said the sag is intentional to simulate the weight of the boom resting on the stake car. Look at close up of stake car, the side does not appear to be one single piece but three separate pieces, whereas the top surface is one single piece.

From visual observation the top surface looks level so there is no structural defect from my perspective.

I don't have a another flat car to compare if the tooling is the same or not.

I won't get too fussed about the sag given the top surface looks level.

Hope that helps.

20191208_080340.jpg20191208_080035.jpg20191208_080006.jpg
Offline bph  
#86 Posted : 08 December 2019 19:16:10(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Someone said the sag is intentional to simulate the weight of the boom resting on the stake car. Look at close up of stake car, the side does not appear to be one single piece but three separate pieces, whereas the top surface is one single piece.

From visual observation the top surface looks level so there is no structural defect from my perspective.

I won't get too fussed about the sag given the top surface looks level.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I find mine sagging I bit too much for my like.
Here is what’s mine looks like:

http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/501D0370_3.jpg

http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/501D0385_2.jpg
Offline QQQ1970  
#87 Posted : 08 December 2019 19:34:47(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
My point is the 3 piece side may be intentional to simulate the sag, but that is an optical illusion as the top surface looks level.
Offline contrans  
#88 Posted : 09 December 2019 23:29:06(UTC)
contrans

The sides of the stake wagons are foldable, and the hinges are well detailed, as you can see here (not exactly the same prototype):
http://www.feldbahn-ried...KB%20Zeulhag/Mkb0007.jpg
The wagon itself shouldn't be bended like this.
Regards, Andi
Offline dickinsonj  
#89 Posted : 10 December 2019 00:45:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I appear to be fine with the latest potential 49570 issues.

My stake car looks flat to me, although I have not put a straightedge to it to check and I do have all of the correct parts for the outrigger bases.

My layout building phase should end within a few weeks and I can set mine up and finally see how much work it can do!
Regards,
Jim

Offline Mikael  
#90 Posted : 21 December 2019 17:53:34(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Mikael Go to Quoted Post
I returned it to my dealer today, and he couldn't get it to work either.

I got an early christmas present today: A replacement crane for the one that went back for repairs 3 months ago.
And this time it works perfectly. It has all 4 pallets with holes in them, and the hook has no problem lowering itself without additional weight on it.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mikael
Offline QQQ1970  
#91 Posted : 22 December 2019 13:34:55(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Great news. It is time to put the crane to work and move some loads 🤗

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline dickinsonj  
#92 Posted : 28 March 2020 16:08:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I finally have an update on my 49570.

Recently I had some time to try hauling it in a train, although I know that is not its primary mission in life. It was fine when turning to the right but when turning to the left the boom rode up in the cradle on the support car and got stuck there, which caused problems the next time it was turned to the right. I had accepted a crane body alignment that was close but not perfect, because it is so difficult to get the body to stop rotating exactly where you want it to. The boom was turned ever so slightly toward the side of the cradle where it was getting stuck so I decided to make another attempt at rotating the body to the proper position. After many attempts I succeeded and that seems to have also fixed the problem with the boom in the cradle. So it appears to be critical for you to get the body properly aligned if you want to haul this model, no matter how much effort that takes!

I still have had some issues with unspooling the hook. Sometimes it lowers but sometimes it does not and although I get slack in the lines the hook won't pull down from the boom when that happens. Eventually I will need to investigate but for now it is packed away where it can't cause any more problems. If I get those lines messed up I am sure it will need to get shipped off for service and I am hoping to avoid doing that.

I am now seeing this model sitting on a siding on my next layout as basically a very pretty but static display, which is a disappointment to me, because I was hoping for an operational crane and not just a pretty ornament.
Regards,
Jim

Offline QQQ1970  
#93 Posted : 28 March 2020 16:27:34(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Don't lose hope. Running on R1 is challenging, but otherwise I am fine so far. I have my crane packed, but just to make room for other rolling stock.

Cheers.
Offline dickinsonj  
#94 Posted : 28 March 2020 19:25:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Don't lose hope. Running on R1 is challenging, but otherwise I am fine so far. I have my crane packed, but just to make room for other rolling stock.

Cheers.

I'm not as down on this beautiful crane as I sounded in my last post, although I do have to sort out what is happening with the lines for the hook. I have no R1 luckily and only a few R2/R3 curves to deal with and it is tracking fine now that the body is perfectly aligned.

Mine is packed up mostly for the same reason - too many trains for my track! Luckily there are a lot worse problems to have, particularly right now. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

Offline QQQ1970  
#95 Posted : 28 March 2020 20:17:15(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Haha
Offline bph  
#96 Posted : 28 March 2020 23:55:52(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I finally have an update on my 49570.

I still have had some issues with unspooling the hook. Sometimes it lowers but sometimes it does not and although I get slack in the lines the hook won't pull down from the boom when that happens. Eventually I will need to investigate but for now it is packed away where it can't cause any more problems. If I get those lines messed up I am sure it will need to get shipped off for service and I am hoping to avoid doing that.

I have forced the hook "wire" from a side compartment to the centre compartment. When I received the crane the hook wire was using a side compartment for some strange reason, and the "wire" was piling up next to the separating flange. This piling up increase the chance for tangling up the "wire". The Goliath crane drums are not split up, and a large drum works better.
501D1733_R.jpg

I have also noticed that the smokee generator does not work properly with the smoke stak extender.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline dickinsonj  
#97 Posted : 29 March 2020 14:53:58(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
I have forced the hook "wire" from a side compartment to the centre compartment. When I received the crane the hook wire was using a side compartment for some strange reason, and the "wire" was piling up next to the separating flange. This piling up increase the chance for tangling up the "wire".

Thanks for the information and helping to point me toward what might be causing my cable problem. ThumpUp

I suspect that something like what you describe might be going on with my crane as well. The next time I operate it I will have it set up so that I can see exactly what is happening with the cables and the drum, which I have not yet done. That is a big part of why mine is boxed up again, so that I can eventually take the time to see what the problem is and correct it before it causes more permanent problems.
Regards,
Jim

Offline bph  
#98 Posted : 30 March 2020 00:09:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Thanks for the information and helping to point me toward what might be causing my cable problem. ThumpUp

I suspect that something like what you describe might be going on with my crane as well. The next time I operate it I will have it set up so that I can see exactly what is happening with the cables and the drum, which I have not yet done. That is a big part of why mine is boxed up again, so that I can eventually take the time to see what the problem is and correct it before it causes more permanent problems.

I used to work with it, so observing how a crane spools its "wire" is an old habit.

Here is a picture from a tandem test lift. The Ardelt and Goliath lifted a T 16.1 (37166)
501D2028_r.jpg
Only had one spreader beam, so had to improvise.
I actually think this is a bit too much, so I did not try to lift the boom or rotating the crane, with the heavy load. I only used the hooks.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline QQQ1970  
#99 Posted : 30 March 2020 02:11:14(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I thought I kind of own this space with my demo lifting a 206g V60 with the Ardelt. Today I see the real maestro. Very impressive. Wow.

May I ask where you source the spreader beam?

20191125_170726.jpg20191124_100836.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline bph  
#100 Posted : 30 March 2020 11:58:16(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I thought I kind of own this space with my demo lifting a 206g V60 with the Ardelt. Today I see the real maestro. Very impressive. Wow.

May I ask where you source the spreader beam?

You have a good load as well :)

The spreader beam was included with the 49954 Goliath. But it’s a bit fragile. Have like you been looking for some proper ones, or I might try to make one.

Edited by user 30 March 2020 23:27:34(UTC)  | Reason: fixed spelling error

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph