Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#151 Posted : 17 January 2020 20:15:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
......I will be interested to see the costs of both of those items before I make any decisions.

Jim, Marklin RRP prices are given in the German version of the Neuheiten pdf. In this case 37997 is listed as 970 € and the 43617 coach set is 455 €.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline rrf  
#152 Posted : 17 January 2020 20:51:49(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

My "Must Have" list is:

43146 – Passenger Car Set with Cab Control Car

The 36872 Halloween lok with three of the matching 48620 passenger cars (Halloween is Beautiful Wife's favorite holiday so I'm going to give her a train).

43120 – 1st / 2nd class DB passenger car (green)
43160 – 2nd class DB passenger car (green)
43330 – Center entry DB passenger car w/ control cab

My “Maybe List" is the 39171 “Tourist” BR 103 and the matching 43879 passenger car set. I’m leery about the digital controlled pantographs and movable Lok Fuhrer. Does anyone care to provide their opinions on the reliability of these mechanisms?

Happy Weekend,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline dickinsonj  
#153 Posted : 17 January 2020 20:58:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Jim, Marklin RRP prices are given in the German version of the Neuheiten pdf. In this case 37997 is listed as 970 € and the 43617 coach set is 455 €.

Thanks David - that gives me a ballpark figure as to NA prices in USD. Not at all cheap but the 37997 is such a beauty you I can probably justify it. Six unlit coaches for 455 € is a lot but then it has been years since Märklin offered any new NA passenger coaches, so I guess they can charge whatever they want. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline dickinsonj  
#154 Posted : 17 January 2020 21:03:24(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
My “Maybe List" is the 39171 “Tourist” BR 103 and the matching 43879 passenger car set. I’m leery about the digital controlled pantographs and movable Lok Fuhrer. Does anyone care to provide their opinions on the reliability of these mechanisms?

I have the Insider 103 from a few years back Rob and I have not had any issues with either the movable LokFührer or the digitally controlled pantographs. Both are nice features although not critical to the models IMO, but they are nice perks which seem reliable to me. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline Mark_1602  
#155 Posted : 17 January 2020 22:30:21(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

"Prototype: Da series electric locomotive. Museum locomotive of the Bergslageras Järnvägssällskap (BJ), Gothenburg. Locomotive road number Da 896, operating condition in current museum version."
[...]
But it looks like it is a real existing loco and nobody can tell me what is false with this loco, except that some people do not like it.

You're right. Here's the prototype, so it really exists, and the Märklin loco comes pretty close to it, within the limits of old tooling. Seems to me that the 'matching' passenger cars are not prototypical, but Märklin mentions that in the news brochure.

Bergslagernas Järnvägssällskap Da 896

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:05:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Minok  
#156 Posted : 17 January 2020 23:35:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Dammit Märklin. Watching the M-TV YouTube video I was thinking, good I'll save some money this year as its all steam engines for the most part.
Then I see the 701 turmtriebwagen in yellow... while its no 711.1, its the right color and design for my era IV layout... ok, I'll have to bite.

So today I go online to see the full PDF, and damnit now theres the full BR 103 based Touristik train. Although I never saw them in person, ever time I see other's layouts with these touristik trains running, I always smile at them.. they just are so bright and cheerfull, and really an attraction. Granted, the color scheme is like opera: you either love it or hate it. An era V is somewhat past my timeframe, but I'll be getting the ICE4 anyway, so sue me. I can see running this occasionally as a special train only (as its length wont allow stopping at my short designed stations). Still, get while the getting is good. I've got too many cases of things I was looking for from past productions that are just not available anymore even used (eg. the extra 3 cars for the ICE 1 set in either of the two incantations). So if I find its something I might want at some point, I'm going to get it now. And like many, either Märklin comes out with a Kinderland car, or I'll have to eventually convert one of the normal passenger cars myself.

Then the LINT 41.. which I initially missed out on in a prior variant run where one only finds the used dummy add-on trains on the used market. So add that to the shopping basket.

And damn, now I'm well and truly consuming an entire year+ budget again. Doh!

So if they do bring out the 711.1 at some point, I'll get that too and just have to expand my service vehicle yard.

Capture.PNG
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline mike c  
#157 Posted : 18 January 2020 02:45:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Based on what I have seen so far, here is what is on my list for 2020 (and beyond):

Maerklin 39461 Re 460
Roco IC2000 Coaches in new livery (5-7 coaches AD-A(-A)-WRB-B-B-B-Bt
Maerklin 47106 SBB Cargo Sgns car

LSM RBe 540 AC Digital Sound
LSM RBe 4/4 AC Digital Sound
Piko SBB EWI NPZ, BLS and SBB Green Coach sets

What I would still like to see is:
More Maerklin Hupac container cars (Sgns) to complete my KLV trains. I have the 47081 and 47097 cars but need additional numbers and loads
SBB EWIV AS (Adapted EWIV A with baggage/service compartment). As Maerklin does not make a baggage car, this would be a great add to their offerings
SBB Re 4/4II in original livery with silver roof (1970s). So far, all models have been 1980-2019.
SBB Re 6/6 (11605-11611) in red or green (as used by Passenger division 2000-2003)
AAE/VTG Sgns cars (no lessor) that can be used in any container consist.
Set of Containers with pins (or adapters) (2 x 45 foot "Ferrymasters", 2 x 30 foot "Bertschi" or "Verscheure" and 2 tank containers "Rinnen"
Similar to:
Ferrymasters: https://www.huenerbein.d...539.03-443-320x240px.jpg
Bertschi: https://www.huenerbein.d...491297-834-320x240px.jpg
Verscheure: https://live.staticflick...9776454_18d3579ed0_z.jpg
Rinnen: https://www.fahrzeugbild...dlicher-man-man-tgs.html

DBAG Bvmz185 and Bm235 in 282mm versions (1980s Product livery) to complete my IC Tiziano set.
(eventually in red/white 90s and white/red stripe 2000s liveries)

Regards

Mike C
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#158 Posted : 18 January 2020 15:26:11(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post

"Prototype: Da series electric locomotive. Museum locomotive of the Bergslageras Järnvägssällskap (BJ), Gothenburg. Locomotive road number Da 896, operating condition in current museum version."
[...]
But it looks like it is a real existing loco and nobody can tell me what is false with this loco, except that some people do not like it.

You're right. Here's the prototype, so it really exists, and the Märklin loco comes pretty close to it, within the limits of old tooling. Seems to me that the 'matching' passenger cars are not prototypical, but Märklin mentions that in the news brochure.

Bergslagernas Järnvägssällskap Da 896

Best regards,

Mark

BJ club call it a dream design and it seems to have money to spend...

Maybe I missed something for neither museum or BJ club celebrates anything special Confused

Sweden has become a cow to milk again Mad
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline Mark_1602  
#159 Posted : 18 January 2020 16:31:06(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: jonas_sthlm Go to Quoted Post

Maybe I missed something for neither museum or BJ club celebrates anything special Confused

The museum railway can paint its locos any colour they like, and Märklin has decided to reproduce this livery. Up to now, Märklin has been able to sell all of the museum locos it has reproduced. Who's losing anything there? Looks more like a win-win situation for Märklin and BJ to me in terms of additional turnover or publicity.

I can understand you don't like the passenger car set, but the problem is that a lot of customers who buy the reissues of Märklin's old-tooling vintage locos don't want any plastic, but tin plate. In my opinion, this loco would look better with cars such as 4178 or 4179, which are similar to some types used by BJ, or even 4072/4073.

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:05:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline LeoArietis  
#160 Posted : 18 January 2020 17:58:34(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   

The museum railway can paint its locos any colour they like, and Märklin has decided to reproduce this livery. Up to now, Märklin has been able to sell all of the museum locos it has reproduced. Who's losing anything there? Looks more like a win-win situation for Märklin and BJ to me in terms of additional turnover or publicity.

I can understand you don't like the passenger car set, but the problem is that a lot of customers who buy the reissues of Märklin's old-tooling vintage locos don't want any plastic, but tin plate. In my opinion, this loco would look better with cars such as 4178 or 4179, which are similar to some types used by BJ, or even 4072/4073.

Best regards,

Mark

I think it's sad Märklin wont improve that basic model with at least clear plastic windows. Gray opaque plastic windows is a disgrace in this century.

Roco, NMJ, Jeco and HNoll are in a sense taking over the Swedish market in h0 even in 3R. Not only by providing different models, but the similar ones are so much more detailed.

Rocos Rc loc's are so much better than Märklins Rc.

Roco make the 1980's passenger coaches in correct length. (303 mm)

NMJ's 1960-ies passenger coaches are in scale length and way more detailed the Märklins. They work well in 3R if you change wheel sets to AC. Dare we hope for some expansion of this range with wagon litt, (WL1) and luggage or post-delivery-cars? (F5/F6/F24) and maybe a restaurant car?

I will also keep an eye on the new Danish manufacturer Dekas H0 and their interesting range of freight wagons.

HNoll 1980-'ies wagons is simply top of the line compared to anything you find in the mass market.

I hope at least Märklins other products will sell, but I am not impressed with their Swedish product line sofar this year.
Previous years Sgns timber-wagons with new tooling for the timber stakes and details were success as well as the 3-axle ore-wagons Mas.

Maybe there will be some better news later this year?
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
Offline Mark_1602  
#161 Posted : 18 January 2020 18:35:24(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: LeoArietis Go to Quoted Post

Rocos Rc loc's are so much better than Märklins Rc.

I agree with you about Märklin's Rc locos. They should have been replaced by new tooling years ago. I used to have nearly all of them as well as the matching Märklin passenger cars, which are way too short, but I've sold all of that stuff. On some Rcs, Märklin broke some small parts off the plastic bogies to avoid making a new mold.

The F7 is one more loco that should also have been redesigned by Märklin, but in general I think that this year's news brochure is all right, though prices are high. I just ignore the stuff I don't like.

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:05:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

Offline esben2009  
#162 Posted : 18 January 2020 19:28:04(UTC)
esben2009

Denmark   
It's right we in these years see new brands like McK providing us with very nice models. But part of the story is also that many have problems with the tecnical standard, which give them derailing and difficulties with couplers. McK produce models in small numbers, tipical between 120-150, for local enthusiasts there there enjoy the correct models and live with the rest.

I don't think we want to see Märklin go that way. I guess everthing is perfect with HNoll, but how many are ready to pay 100 euro for a perfect passenger coach ? Is that what we want from Märklin ?

Roco might doing it well in Sweden, but in Denmark it isen't the same anymore, products from Roco are now standing more and more behind in the stores, and Märklin selling better and better together with Piko. When it comes to the CS3 also Esu is outperformed in this field

Märklin C-tracks, CS3+, Focus on SBB/BLS epoke IV-VI
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by esben2009
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#163 Posted : 18 January 2020 20:22:14(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   

Best regards,

Mark

Win-win situation?

Do you really think the deliers and hobby growth get a win-win when collector put this inside the closet?

I've never seen any of these retro models out driving on a public event layout.

So it must be some real crap if it is made for older gentlemen to remember the sweet childhood in front of the Christmas tree.
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline Mark_1602  
#164 Posted : 18 January 2020 20:53:41(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

Win-win situation?

Do you really think the deliers and hobby growth get a win-win when collector put this inside the closet?

I guess you don't think much of collectors, but without such people, product runs of MRR items would often be too small, so many new items could never be produced or sold at a profit. I've been following Märklin's activities for about 12 years, and what I've observed is that the products they make now sell better than back then.

By the way, a lot of the 1:87 coaches that DC manufacturers have sold in the last 20 years ended up in cupboards as well. Some people collect them ...
Märklin's new Da museum loco is simply not intended for customers like you, who obviously prefer scale models. Personally, I don't see why Märklin should make fantasy models (such as the Coco-Cola F7), but I can see in MRR forums that some people like them. I just don't buy them, and I also tend to avoid the retro (or replica) tin plate editions now.

What I don't like about Märklin is the numerous warranty cases I had in the years following the insolvency, as well as some models that are poor quality or badly designed, such as the warped two-axle container cars made of plastic. Are you planning to order set 47726? Once they are a few years old, the containers won't really fit any more because the floor of the car will be slightly warped. I've had that with all of my DSB (Maersk) and NSB two-axle container cars, so I've sold them. That's poor quality ...

P.S./Edit: I had the same problem with an MHI container car set made in 2017, i.e. 47689. Two years later, the floors of the two-axle cars were not level anymore. Temperatures inside our house range from 21°C in winter to 27 in summer, so that was certainly not the problem.

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:04:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline TEEWolf  
#165 Posted : 18 January 2020 21:54:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Märklin, please don't forget this one...

Something for next winther news "a christmas version with a tree in the front like the steam" LOL

UserPostedImage

I can't live without it. so please Drool

LOL Indeed, looks a bit like Smarties from the last Halloween Express or Pipi Langstrumpf on the tracks BigGrin. Although, it is funny and a nice loco for MyWorld from Maerklin.

Thanks for the picture, I enjoy it and keep it for the counting by picture thread. It has the 820.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#166 Posted : 19 January 2020 04:58:33(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Guys- lets keep this a productive thread. Everyone has trains they like, and trains they don't. Variety is what keeps the companies in business.

The other day at a swap meet, I had to listen to a guy rant for a good half hour about 3 rail track not being realistic, then buy a set of 27cm 1:100 (not 1:87!) passenger cars from me. I could have given him a hard time, but then nobody would have been happy...

I for one like them all, I just like some more than others BigGrin
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#167 Posted : 19 January 2020 12:22:20(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Will it be ESU T66 model that Märklin will use like their own?
Offline danmarklinman  
#168 Posted : 19 January 2020 14:48:04(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

No,
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#169 Posted : 19 January 2020 15:05:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Not likely after the debacle over the CS1/ms1 whih soured any possible relationship with ESU.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#170 Posted : 19 January 2020 16:26:53(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Ok, I was thinking the concept was the same like the china made G2000.
Offline Goofy  
#171 Posted : 20 January 2020 10:07:13(UTC)
Goofy

I have seen price list of the news.
It is expensive and wonder if they are made in China too or Germany? LOL
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mbarreto  
#172 Posted : 20 January 2020 11:04:27(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I see no one talking about the new BR44. Basically it is the coal version of the 2019 new items list. I have the 39880 and it is an impressive locmotive, so the new one (39881) will be too for sure.
In general I prefered the BR50 with cabin tender compared to previous BR44s. The 39880 substantially changed my opinion.
If it had the cabin interior painted, like the new S3/6, it would be a top model. It also has an acceptable price compared to, for example, the new S3/6.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Goofy  
#173 Posted : 20 January 2020 13:52:12(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

If it had the cabin interior painted

You can use small paint brush by paint small details.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Thewolf  
#174 Posted : 21 January 2020 16:52:57(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
GuysBored

I had the bad idea to take another look at the 2020 catalogue.Blink

I came across... the big boy 37797.Crying

I had the bad idea to ask Mike...just like that...to see...curious... Bored

I ordered the Big Boy 39912... $300 cheaper than the 37797.Crying

I didn't say anything to the lady Confused Bored Scared Woot Woot

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline RayF  
#175 Posted : 21 January 2020 18:21:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Does anyone have any news about the delivery dates for the 2020 new items?

I like to know when the different items are being delivered before I put my order in.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mbarreto  
#176 Posted : 21 January 2020 19:07:15(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

I like to know when the different items are being delivered before I put my order in.

https://www.comboioselec...0entrega%20novidades.pdf

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline TEEWolf  
#177 Posted : 21 January 2020 19:08:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
GuysBored

Thewolf

Hello Serge,

are you aware

39912 is class 3900. This is the Challenger

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39912/

37797 is the TGV Duplex V 150 High-Speed Train

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37797/

37997 is class 4000. This is the Big Boy.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37997/

For the differences of a Challenger to a Big Boy see these pictures, please:

https://www.grimm-weinhe...ber-42-zentimeter-u.html

Scroll down to the section [Der "Challenger" und der "Big Boy" im Vergleich] and see the picture with the comparison details.Smile (caution: comparison is with the Big Boy 37996 from Maerklin)

Best Regards

Wolfgang

P.S.: just for fun

https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2019/bigboy/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Thewolf  
#178 Posted : 21 January 2020 20:57:05(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
GuysBored

Thewolf

Hello Serge,

are you aware

39912 is class 3900. This is the Challenger

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39912/

37797 is the TGV Duplex V 150 High-Speed Train

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37797/

37997 is class 4000. This is the Big Boy.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37997/

For the differences of a Challenger to a Big Boy see these pictures, please:

https://www.grimm-weinhe...ber-42-zentimeter-u.html

Scroll down to the section [Der "Challenger" und der "Big Boy" im Vergleich] and see the picture with the comparison details.Smile (caution: comparison is with the Big Boy 37996 from Maerklin)

Best Regards

Wolfgang

P.S.: just for fun

https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2019/bigboy/

Hello WolfgangCool

A distraction on my part. Probably age.Blink

I did order the challenger 39912

Why? $300 cheaper than 37997... very important in this year of movement.Tongue and also 3 cm shorter, I think, right?

Serge

Offline dickinsonj  
#179 Posted : 22 January 2020 01:35:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I predict that you will really like the 39912. Not only does it cost less than the 37997 but it has more cool features as well! ThumpUp

Things like the operating cab vent on the roof, the sliding cab windows, lighted marker lights on the smokebox door, lighted marker lights on the back of the tender, lighted number lights behind the headlight, two smoke units already installed and a lokfürher and fireman already installed. So you gave up two axles and four wheels but you gained some very nice features. They are both impressive locos but the Challenger is only a bit smaller than the Big Boy with better features, a better price and great presence on your track. ThumpUp

When I bought my 39911 Challenger I was very impressed with the improved detail compared with my 37990, particularly at the price. The better detailing was not surprising because it came along 18 years after my 37990. At the time I thought that if Märklin ever made a Big Boy with those features, a modern decoder and better sound I would absolutely need to get one. But they dropped the ball IMO by not adding those features which already exist for the Challenger, but were left off the 4014. I assume that was to keep the price down, although that train still has a retail price of 1.425 €. I guess it is the same calculus that told Märklin that putting a top quality motor in even one of their best locos was a waste of time. ThumbDown

I imagine Märklin assumed that people would be so impressed that they modeled the restored 4014 that they would buy it regardless of the less than stellar feature set. But at that price point I did expect more from them and I remain on the fence about getting the new 4014. The UP coaches are very pretty but they are the first Märklin Budd coaches ever without CC couplers or interior lighting and they are not all that affordable either. I guess the nay sayers are right that Märklin is putting profit and sales numbers ahead of building top quality models and particularly for a model like the Big Boy that is very short sighted thinking. ThumbDown
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#180 Posted : 22 January 2020 02:59:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

That list does not contain all Marklin new items for 2020. Whenever Marklin release the official delivery dates, they will be listed here:

https://www.maerklin.de/...ormation/delivery-dates/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Thewolf  
#181 Posted : 22 January 2020 05:38:25(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I predict that you will really like the 39912. Not only does it cost less than the 37997 but it has more cool features as well! ThumpUp

Things like the operating cab vent on the roof, the sliding cab windows, lighted marker lights on the smokebox door, lighted marker lights on the back of the tender, lighted number lights behind the headlight, two smoke units already installed and a lokfürher and fireman already installed. So you gave up two axles and four wheels but you gained some very nice features. They are both impressive locos but the Challenger is only a bit smaller than the Big Boy with better features, a better price and great presence on your track. ThumpUp

When I bought my 39911 Challenger I was very impressed with the improved detail compared with my 37990, particularly at the price. The better detailing was not surprising because it came along 18 years after my 37990. At the time I thought that if Märklin ever made a Big Boy with those features, a modern decoder and better sound I would absolutely need to get one. But they dropped the ball IMO by not adding those features which already exist for the Challenger, but were left off the 4014. I assume that was to keep the price down, although that train still has a retail price of 1.425 €. I guess it is the same calculus that told Märklin that putting a top quality motor in even one of their best locos was a waste of time. ThumbDown

I imagine Märklin assumed that people would be so impressed that they modeled the restored 4014 that they would buy it regardless of the less than stellar feature set. But at that price point I did expect more from them and I remain on the fence about getting the new 4014. The UP coaches are very pretty but they are the first Märklin Budd coaches ever without CC couplers or interior lighting and they are not all that affordable either. I guess the nay sayers are right that Märklin is putting profit and sales numbers ahead of building top quality models and particularly for a model like the Big Boy that is very short sighted thinking. ThumbDown

Hello dickinsonjCool

I'll tell you my impressions at the end of this year or the beginning of 2021.

I asked Mike to deliver it in September 2020.

I will soon be settling into a new home

Thewolf

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline mbarreto  
#182 Posted : 22 January 2020 09:26:49(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

That list does not contain all Marklin new items for 2020. Whenever Marklin release the official delivery dates, they will be listed here:

I know it doesn't, but was what I could find and was better than nothing.

I also want to know what is not there like for example MHI items.

Thank you for your link.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline RayF  
#183 Posted : 22 January 2020 09:43:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I am assuming that the dates given by comboioselectricos are based on information they have from Marklin, and that they haven't just made them up?

The list contained the items I'm interested in so now I feel confident enough to put in my order. As usual I spread my order over the 4 quarters, so at the moment it looks like this:

Q1 39098 Br95.0

Q2 36509 Henschel EA500

Q3 39758 Br75.4 + 46395 coaches

Q4 39422 Re 4/4 I blue.

I might additionally get one of the Br66 diesels, but haven't decided which one yet.

I like to get locos with their recommended train packs, but in the case of the Br95.0 and the Re 4/4 I, I already have the same wagons in my collection so I can make the trains up from my existing stock.

I'm also still waiting for a loco and some wagons from 2019....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#184 Posted : 22 January 2020 21:07:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
A new for 2020 item that caught my eye was from Roco, the EDK 750 crane vehicle:

Capture.PNG

Its a DR built crane, made avail in yellow style.. for which exists one example in reality as far as I've been able to tell. So not a crane that seems to have gotten any DB badged application. But with Märklin's penchant for doing unique item models, Roco going that way isn't out of line.

It fits a niche on my layout plan - a heavy crane for modeling recovery operations (when there is a derail in normal operations as well as planned event jobs) - without being the very large and out of scale for my R1/R2 sized room/layout cranes we have seen so far. Its only 234mm buffer to buffer, so 9 1/4 ". Roco's R2 is Märklin's R1 (well 2mm even smaller than Märklin's R1) so radius wise its great).

I may slap a DB decal on the side of the 3 conductor version 79035 and call it good. So far its in my cart and I'm debating to press the [Buy] button... well the [pre order] button to be sure. Its a spendy year, 2020, after all, for me, with the Märklin ICE4 with its expansion cars, the Märklin 103 pulled Touristik Train, a Lint two coach being available again, the yellow BR213 from last year getting shipped to me now, and the yellow 701 catenary maintenance vehicle.... I could buy a used car for that price. Add on the Roco at another $700... oi vey.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline steventrain  
#185 Posted : 26 January 2020 11:03:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   

The list contained the items I'm interested in so now I feel confident enough to put in my order. As usual I spread my order over the 4 quarters, so at the moment it looks like this:

Q1 39098 Br95.0

Q2 36509 Henschel EA500

Q3 39758 Br75.4 + 46395 coaches

Q4 39422 Re 4/4 I blue.

I might additionally get one of the Br66 diesels, but haven't decided which one yet.

Planning delivery date showing on database.

39098 - FEBRUARY
Other three above same date.

BR66 diesels all Q3.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#186 Posted : 26 January 2020 11:33:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
A new for 2020 item that caught my eye was from Roco, the EDK 750 crane vehicle....

Me too!

I've also been debating whether to push the order button.

As you suggest, this crane is probably a bit more practical for a layout than the Marklin Goliath.

Not sure if you realised, but this crane can be used in one of two modes - either self propelled or locomotive hauled. There is a switch that disengages the gearbox for locomotive hauling.

"The crane can travel independently or, once the gear coupling has been unlocked manually, as part of the train. "

According to the Roco new items catalog, delivery is scheduled for Q4 2020, as is the Marklin ICE4 and coach sets. The Insider SBB TEE RAm 'Edelweiss' is scheduled for Q3. Might be an expensive second half of the year!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mbarreto  
#187 Posted : 28 January 2020 22:22:57(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Just looked at the operating manual of the new E18 39683. In the last pages there is the exploded view and it has the new type of can motor. Surprise to me is that it is over one of the bogies and not mounted centrally in the locomotive chassis. This way it powers only the axles of 1 bogie and not all four axles as it is usual in Märklin new designs.

I don't see many advantages of this configuration compared with for example the one used in the 3768. Probably it is cheaper to produce. It is also more silent and less powerfull.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline dickinsonj  
#188 Posted : 29 January 2020 01:11:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I don't see many advantages of this configuration compared with for example the one used in the 3768.

Last year I bought a Class E19.1 (39193) and it has the same motor/drive configuration. I'm not sure that I even knew it only drove 2 of its axles until I already had it. Mine pulls OK but I would have preferred that it had 4 driven axles and I don't know why they chose that drive arrangement.

But what I really don't like about it though is the jumpy way the leading bogie tracks on curves, resisting for a bit and then jumping into place. It looks clunky and it always appears to be getting ready to jump off the tracks! I have looked to see if I could improve its tracking but it all seems to be working as intended.

A beautiful loco which seems more for display than actual operation. ThumbDown
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Rinus  
#189 Posted : 29 January 2020 08:25:31(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
A new for 2020 item that caught my eye was from Roco, the EDK 750 crane vehicle....

Me too!

I've also been debating whether to push the order button.

As you suggest, this crane is probably a bit more practical for a layout than the Marklin Goliath.

Not sure if you realised, but this crane can be used in one of two modes - either self propelled or locomotive hauled. There is a switch that disengages the gearbox for locomotive hauling.

"The crane can travel independently or, once the gear coupling has been unlocked manually, as part of the train. "

According to the Roco new items catalog, delivery is scheduled for Q4 2020, as is the Marklin ICE4 and coach sets. The Insider SBB TEE RAm 'Edelweiss' is scheduled for Q3. Might be an expensive second half of the year!

Saw some amazing pictures on de DSO forum, that will make you push that button Laugh

https://www.drehscheibe-online.d...ren/read.php?010,9194492

Rinus
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Rinus
Offline danmarklinman  
#190 Posted : 29 January 2020 14:23:27(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, Faller new items, https://www.faller.de/gb/en/Home.html
I like the car system chassis stuff. Especially the bus👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline steventrain  
#191 Posted : 06 March 2020 11:33:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Infotag 2020 wagon.

48350 Infotage-Sonderwagen 2020 2-achsiger Schiebewandwagen Bauart Hbis-t-299

csm_48350_800_2_1583eb6327 (1).jpg
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TrainMan55  
#192 Posted : 23 March 2020 15:29:00(UTC)
TrainMan55

Italy   
Is there anyone that has received the new Big Boy 37997? Any review?
Thanks
Offline vilithejou  
#193 Posted : 23 March 2020 21:43:16(UTC)
vilithejou

Originally Posted by: TrainMan55 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks

Hi

Received a few days ago. Splendid locomotive ... all the details announced in it are her. The whistles, the new tender, the silver grease boxes, the shield inside the cabin. Lots of sound, the only thing to improve the farm sound, could be better. 9 points of 10

Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline owidgie  
#194 Posted : 23 March 2020 21:58:00(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
I have seen the "pre-production sample".

I have to say that I was hoping Marklin would have used the tender like the Challenger, since I believe the real one uses the Challenger tender. The reason is the marker lights on the Challenger light up. But it looked to me like this wouldn't be the case on the Big Boy.

I still ordered one - I can't have a hole in my Big Boy collection!

Rick
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline dickinsonj  
#195 Posted : 23 March 2020 23:53:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
I have seen the "pre-production sample".

I have to say that I was hoping Marklin would have used the tender like the Challenger, since I believe the real one uses the Challenger tender...

Totally agree on all of that. The actual restored 4014 does indeed use the tender from a Challenger and I also love the rear markes on that tender behind my Challenger. I was also disappointed that the lighted front markers from the Challenger did not make it to the Big Boy, nor did the lighted road number on the flank of the headlight. I had hoped that this loco would combine the beauty of the metal work from my old Big Boy with the nicer details of my Challenger. So I was disappointed that they didn't make more of an effort, particularly at this price. I think these are largely destined to be display pieces anyway so the operational details are becoming less important from what I can see.

But like you I also ordered one anyway because bringing a real Big Boy back to life will only ever happen this once and it is good to capture that IMO. Besides it is going to look so good running next to my one poor lonely Big Boy. I already have three other editions of those coaches, but these look wonderful in UP livery, although lighting should have been included or at least available. ThumbDown

But the bottom line is it's a Big Boy and they are so very special! ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline rbw993  
#196 Posted : 24 March 2020 13:42:18(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Jim,
You could use Train-Tech lighting for the cars. No wiring to track required. I've installed them in cars for which lighting kits are difficult to get. They are in the UK but shipping has been quick. Ends up costing about $20 per car including shipping. They are discounted from UK list because local tax is removed.

Website is: www.train-tech.com

There is a special menu for non-UK customers.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline dickinsonj  
#197 Posted : 24 March 2020 13:48:16(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

You could use Train-Tech lighting for the cars.

Thanks Roger. Good call and that is what I plan to do.

Actually, if the Train-Tech lighting was not available and so well reviewed I might not have ordered these coaches. I also need them for my Bavarian coaches which do not have Märklin lighting parts available either.
Regards,
Jim

Offline rbw993  
#198 Posted : 24 March 2020 20:19:35(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I am using them in HAG coaches. May try them in ROCO and Lilliput as well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline AntoinePrt  
#199 Posted : 25 March 2020 20:55:58(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Originally Posted by: vilithejou Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TrainMan55 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks

Hi

Received a few days ago. Splendid locomotive ... all the details announced in it are her. The whistles, the new tender, the silver grease boxes, the shield inside the cabin. Lots of sound, the only thing to improve the farm sound, could be better. 9 points of 10

Hi there,

Thank you for the video :)

Honestly speaking, I am very disappointed by the model. As mentioned, the tender could have been the one from the Challenger. But let’s speak about the sounds ... Seriously ... We now have a fully operational Big Boy in the USA with some real sounds. And for the 37997, Märklin has managed to do the job at 50% using the same sound file as the previous models ...

And all this for 970€. Even the packaging is not different.

It’s a real shame as it was the perfect occasion to make a handsome model that would shine on our shelves or tracks.

A.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline vilithejou  
#200 Posted : 09 April 2020 13:12:53(UTC)
vilithejou

Hi

Two nnew items from Märklin in Corona-time

36160 Vectron SBB Cargo International

Vectron SBB Rotterdam

37473 Re 4/4 II Munchen-Zurich

Re 4/4 II Blue
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by vilithejou