Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2020 05:41:52(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Dear friends, I have been in the hobby for more than 15 years but during this time I have solely been modelling in Z scale. Having completed several layouts in analogue and DCC.

I have tried many things but have always kept to Z scale because of Marklin's quality and also because where I live, space is very limited.
However a friend of mine curiously asked me why not try a different scale.

It was an interesting question. N scale is too close to Z, and I find the world of HO full of opportunities but not very appealing. I like the US narrow gauges - but I do not have the skill or patience to lay my own track or make my own cars.

It is not as if I have not seen Marklin 1 Gauge before. My wife bought me a Maxi starter set many years ago. It is beautiful but was open perhaps no more than 5 times.

But in the last few weeks I have been fascinated with Marklin Gauge 1. Space and costs aside, the details and functionality of the trains are breathtaking. Perhaps I am also drawn to Gauge 1 because it offers all the opposite things of Z and therefore complements my hobby well. It is large (good for eyesight). The details of course are amazing. And it also offers a truly fully functional digital experience - "out of the box". Different for z scale, where I have to worry about voltage, solder my decoders, buy my own controls etc.

So after my long story, I would just like to seek for any advice that any of you might have? I thank you in advance.

I also wanted to share this layout - so small - that I call it "Ridiculous" - this is what my current space may allow, IF I ever wanted to just run one or two Gauge one locomotives. Please tell me this is not crazy?

And finally, if any of you follow Instagram, you can see pictures of my trains and Z scale layouts.
https://www.instagram.com/halland_z/

Thank you

Gavin

UserPostedImage]Micro Layout[/url]
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline thing fish  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2020 07:10:06(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post
Please tell me this is not crazy?

Hi Gavin,

"Crazy" is good LOL

IMHO, the only limit to our hobby is just us. I mean you can have small shunting yard in g1 and enjoy it just as you do your z layout. It starts and ends with your imagination I guess.

I know many people who have very limited spaces and build small shunting yards and play shunting quizzes. Lot of fun indeed.

My two cents!

Cem.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2020 11:41:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I did something similar a little while back. I “blew up” my digital controller at just the wrong moment in my finances. A little toy shop was selling an LGB start set including a CS2 brand new at half price.

I now suffer from a serious medical condition called “a silly grin” which is infectious as my wife who was previously model railway disinterested has caught it too along with grand kids. Kids not quite so as they think its spending their inheritance!

So, I now have (in addition to my Ho layout) a shunting puzzle shelf with one lok and eight wagons. There are a number of advantages:
1) Little temptation to purchase more stock there’s no room. No tell a lie I do have my eyes maybe on another lok.
2) I have a local Lgb dealer who is very helpful
3) Lgb is to me quite expensive but not as mind blowingly so as Gauge One
4) I have another medical condition called “getting older” the symptoms of which include; fudgy fingers, eyesight and hearing loss and loss of concentration. All these matter less with my “new” layout

Do you know if we were to “downsize” and I was only allowed to have one railway, my thirty years of Ho or my LGB I think I would choose the LGB!

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2020 12:27:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Someone on here had a G1 layout with a similar plan sometime on the last year. Perhaps someone could post a link to the thread (I'm not in a position to search it out at the moment). Perhaps a troll through the Big scale section will find it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline blid  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2020 12:33:54(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Have you considered 0-gauge? They are very detailed too, and you will look at the layout from a short distance. When it comes to functionality there is no difference nowadays – but probably the price.
I assume your layout program have 0-gauge tracks, so compare what you can do in the different scales with tracks from different manufacturers. In your case I would go for 2-rail. There is 3-rail too. Don't forget to check what kind of rolling stock there is room for.
Note. 0-gauge are in different scales. Usualy 1:48 for US, 1:43.5 or 1:45 for Europe.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2020 12:50:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Given the space, I would probably just have one turnout, to make it like a Y and then focus
more on small details to make it a nice diorama Cool

Then, where possible, let the tracks go all the way to the end of the plate, and make a fake tunnel,
so it looks like the train can drive into the tunnel BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2020 13:23:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I would make a diorama, perhaps with a loco shed...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2020 14:39:03(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Our member Torstein has one:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...e-1----A-shunting-layout

And a thing of Beauty It Is!
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:11:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Our member Torstein has one:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...e-1----A-shunting-layout

And a thing of Beauty It Is!

That is the layout I was referring to in post #4, thanks for looking out the link.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2020 11:54:32(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
ThumpUp Thankfully, my OCD is in full flight! Woot
Jimmy T
Offline zoooctan  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2020 17:52:11(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Thank you everyone. I am so happy with the amount of support and advice given by everyone. Thank you and I will keep you updated. May I ask for members who own and operate Marklin Gauge 1; what are your opinions of the running characteristics and functionalities - especially when compared to other gauges like HO. For example, I am very impressed with the steam locomotives that have steam clearing and also the ability of telex couplers (which I know are in some HO ones too).

Finally - perhaps a silly question. But are the Maxi 1 track the same as Marklin Gauge 1 track?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2020 22:19:02(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thank you everyone. I am so happy with the amount of support and advice given by everyone. Thank you and I will keep you updated. May I ask for members who own and operate Marklin Gauge 1; what are your opinions of the running characteristics and functionalities - especially when compared to other gauges like HO. For example, I am very impressed with the steam locomotives that have steam clearing and also the ability of telex couplers (which I know are in some HO ones too).

Finally - perhaps a silly question. But are the Maxi 1 track the same as Marklin Gauge 1 track?

Hello

I have at the moment eight Märklin Gauge 1 locos and all of these are digital. Three steam locos, one electric loco and four diesel locos. Soon I will have two more electric locos. These are older analog models, but I bought them mostly for display purposes to highlight my Train Room Love. I will maybe run them with analog transformer (30 VA) and after some years I will digitalise them or put digital technic to them. These two are Märklin’s 125th year Celebration SBB Crocodiles 5757 and 5758 and really nicely weathered. I like them more like this than totally new and too ”shiny”... Cool

I don’t own any steam locos that have other steam functions than normal smoke generator. But it looks much more impressive as the smoke generator is larger than in H0 scale. Also locomotives sounds are great because of much larger loud speakers and larger space inside the locos to get better accoustics. Running charasteristics and functionalities are great. I have Telex in two of my locos and these work very well. Because these Märklin Gauge 1 locos and rolling stock are quite heavy weight they will keep naturally good rail knocking sound from the rail joints. My heaviest loco K.Bay.Sts.B. Gt 2x4/4 ”Mallet” weighs around 7 kilograms.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2020 13:52:59(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I believe that, yes, Maxi and Gauge 1 are the same size ("Maxi" was a kind of "hobby" version of the Gauge 1).

Also, for info look through this page, about half-way down, regarding "How small can a satisfying Inglenook be?" because in addition to shunting, you can also have some game-time.

https://www.carendt.com/small-la...ok/page-69-january-2008/

It looks like you might already have makings of a mini-Inglenook in your plan. And if you have not seen this link I recommend it for sure (if you have, sorry for the repeat Cool ) :

http://www.wymann.info/Shunting...es/shunting-puzzles.html
Jimmy T
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2020 00:48:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
I believe that, yes, Maxi and Gauge 1 are the same size ("Maxi" was a kind of "hobby" version of the Gauge 1).

But be careful, Marklin have used two types of G1 track over the years, and I believe if you try and mix them they can be a pain. IIRC it is something about a different style of rail joiner, and they don't quite mate properly.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2020 10:48:53(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
But be careful, Marklin have used two types of G1 track over the years

Actually it's 4 different types + all the pre-war types, which I don't think we need to list here Cool

The first version had different and larger joiners, the tracks can be used, you just need the newer joiners.
Item numbers are 4 digit, a straight 30 cm has the item number 5900.

The next version were sold for many years, up until only a few years ago. Many dealers still have them, and
you can find a lot on Ebay. They are stainless steel, the item number is usually 4 digits ( except the 90 cm )
A straight 30 cm has the item number 5903.

The same version as above were for a few years sold as a browned version; everything is the same except
the color of the rails. These are quite rare. A straight 30 cm has the item number 5901.

The newest version is the Hübner type tracks, made in nickel-silver. You can connect them to the earlier versions;
but sleepers looks a bit different and the rails are a different color. The item numbers are 5 digit, a 30 cm track
has the item number 59058.

This poster can be really helpful: https://www.maerklin.de/...pur_1_Gleisplakat_A1.pdf

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2020 10:04:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
But be careful, Marklin have used two types of G1 track over the years

Actually it's 4 different types + all the pre-war types, which I don't think we need to list here Cool

Ah, thanks for the correction and listing of differences.

I hadn't appreciated there was so many variants before the Hubner line, just the two with the change on connector.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline zoooctan  
#17 Posted : 23 March 2020 09:31:19(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Thanks this is really interesting and helpful
Offline nygma  
#18 Posted : 01 April 2020 22:09:58(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I am coming a bit late into this discussion. There is not much I can add. You just need to hunt for some small locos, so you fit at least one wagon a shunt up and down the track. I am trying to think if Marklin made any small railcar, but I think they did not. So it is mostly small shunting locos and 2 axle wagons.

I am not sure how much you have progressed, if you need some track to be set up and locos/wagons test fitted, let me know.
Also it would be nice to get some update. What happened since the original post?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nygma
Offline zoooctan  
#19 Posted : 03 April 2020 19:24:14(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post
I am coming a bit late into this discussion. There is not much I can add. You just need to hunt for some small locos, so you fit at least one wagon a shunt up and down the track. I am trying to think if Marklin made any small railcar, but I think they did not. So it is mostly small shunting locos and 2 axle wagons.

I am not sure how much you have progressed, if you need some track to be set up and locos/wagons test fitted, let me know.
Also it would be nice to get some update. What happened since the original post?

Hello there, thank you for the kind words and advice. And this goes for everyone. Right now I have not made progress except for tonight..just taking out my old Maxi starter set and letting it run for awhile.
I am still heavily in Z scale that you can see from my Instagram website if you're keen - thank you. https://www.instagram.com/halland_z/

But after running my Maxi set tonight...I am sure that in time I would want to set up a shunting layout with 1 Gauge Tank locomotives and perhaps a small diesel. I have my heart set out on the Marklin Digital 1 Gauge Starter set 55046, but it is really difficult to get. Marklin, noticeably does not currently sell a starter set for 1 gauge - so I am left to hunt for it. There is a seller on eBay but the shipping costs to me in Singapore, seem very high at above 150 Euros. If anyone has any advice or any 2nd Marklin tank DCC locomotives, I wouldn't mind discussing.

Thank you. I appreciate all the help and advice

Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 03 April 2020 19:48:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have my heart set out on the Marklin Digital 1 Gauge Starter set 55046

Take care, the V100 from this set is a new construction, apparently a lot of them have to be sent back to Märklin.

The motor - gear assembly / manufacturing is very poor in most of them - I've been told both by friends and dealers.

This Danish dealer has a set for sale, he even writes in his advertising that it has a new motor,
since the standard motor had noise problems: http://www.felderbanen.d...Spor-1-digital-DB/055046

If you can find one from start set 55031 - without sound or from 55033 - with sound, or any of the newer models
sold individually, e.g. 55728, these are much better, unless the V100 from 55046 has been fixed before you get it.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline zoooctan  
#21 Posted : 04 April 2020 13:06:57(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I have my heart set out on the Marklin Digital 1 Gauge Starter set 55046

Take care, the V100 from this set is a new construction, apparently a lot of them have to be sent back to Märklin.

The motor - gear assembly / manufacturing is very poor in most of them - I've been told both by friends and dealers.

This Danish dealer has a set for sale, he even writes in his advertising that it has a new motor,
since the standard motor had noise problems: http://www.felderbanen.d...Spor-1-digital-DB/055046

If you can find one from start set 55031 - without sound or from 55033 - with sound, or any of the newer models
sold individually, e.g. 55728, these are much better, unless the V100 from 55046 has been fixed before you get it.

Per.

Cool

Hello. Thank you so much for this advice. It is very good to know. I appreciate it. And I will check out the shop. I hope they can send to Singapore and it would not be too expensive.

May I ask everyone another question. This starter set says it comes with Mobile Station 2 which is one of the reasons why I am looking at a starter set. (I only use Marklin Z transformers and Digitrax Zephyr 2 for my Z scale). However I have heard that the MS2 can only power 2 Marklin 1 Gauge locomotives at a time? If I had more than this on a layout, I would need a Central Station. Is this true? Can someone help me with this question?

Thank you
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2020 13:20:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

However I have heard that the MS2 can only power 2 Marklin 1 Gauge locomotives at a time? If I had more than this on a layout, I would need a Central Station. Is this true?

This is true, if more than 3 locos are running at the same time; I don't think that will happen on the layout you're planning BigGrin

I think you should start with just a MS2; 1 gauge is very different from what you are used to, due to the size.

It's very rare to have more than 2 locos running at the same time, even on large layouts.

Dreams have a tendency to get much larger than reality will ever get BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Torstein  
#23 Posted : 04 April 2020 18:12:29(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Hi Zoooctan

try to get the 55046 set if you can, it is a perfect start-set and it have everything you need to start with. The locomotive is very silent – no motor noise - as it is a well-tested construction about 10 years old.

I have used this locomotive daily about one year and it run beautifully – the same says to friends (longtime spur 1 users) who have it. My two dealers have no reclamation on this set/locomotive.

Have fun.

Torstein

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline zoooctan  
#24 Posted : 04 April 2020 18:37:16(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
Hi Zoooctan

try to get the 55046 set if you can, it is a perfect start-set and it have everything you need to start with. The locomotive is very silent – no motor noise - as it is a well-tested construction about 10 years old.

I have used this locomotive daily about one year and it run beautifully – the same says to friends (longtime spur 1 users) who have it. My two dealers have no reclamation on this set/locomotive.

Have fun.

Torstein

Thank you
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 04 April 2020 18:47:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post

In that case the V100 from the start set comes in different versions. Glare

The "good" version, starting AFAIK with the 55031 set in 2000/2001 is a fantastic model, I have around 10 of those from different sets.

The V100s from 55046 delivered to Denmark are different, a lot of the spare parts are even different.
I don't know if some of the sets have been delivered with the "good" version V100, or if the perfect V100s
you've got in Norway have been fixed by Märklin before they were shipped.

If I lived "far away" and had to pay 150 EUROs for shipping, I would make sure to get a model that didn't have to go back to Märklin to be fixed.

I absolutely don't care where Zoooctan buys his stuff; I just want to make sure that he asks the seller if the loco
have been tested and how it's behaving. Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline zoooctan  
#26 Posted : 05 April 2020 16:25:14(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hi there everyone, I see that there is this set called 55031, the Premium Digital Starter set. Now I know it is a very old set and the Marklin Digital is also very old. But wondering if anyone has any advice or experience using this set? Especially given that I do not yet have any controllers as well. Be also nice to hear your experiences with regards to whether the locomotives in this set had sound, smoke and telex couplers -> or did you upgrade them later for use with newer Marklin Digital?

Thanks again
Offline Janne75  
#27 Posted : 05 April 2020 17:32:17(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I have both locos from 55031 set. They don’t have sounds, but in my opinion that DB V100 diesel (road number V100 1040) has it’s own nice ”sound” from it’s motor and gears when it’s running. It is ok in diesel loco. Steam loco DB BR 91 (road number 91 1651) has smoke unit and Telex. It is a nice model and I like it but it should have sounds in my opinion as it is a steam loco. They require sounds more than diesels and electric locos in my opinion. I like that 55031 sets DB V100 diesel as much as I like my other DB V100 (road number V100 2022) with sounds from the factory. It is from starter set 55033. This set is from around years 2004-2006.

Smile

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline zoooctan  
#28 Posted : 05 April 2020 19:23:02(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have both locos from 55031 set. They don’t have sounds, but in my opinion that DB V100 diesel (road number V100 1040) has it’s own nice ”sound” from it’s motor and gears when it’s running. It is ok in diesel loco. Steam loco DB BR 91 (road number 91 1651) has smoke unit and Telex. It is a nice model and I like it but it should have sounds in my opinion as it is a steam loco. They require sounds more than diesels and electric locos in my opinion. I like that 55031 sets DB V100 diesel as much as I like my other DB V100 (road number V100 2022) with sounds from the factory. It is from starter set 55033. This set is from around years 2004-2006.

Smile

Cheers,
Janne

Thank you Janne
Offline zoooctan  
#29 Posted : 17 April 2020 10:18:17(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello there again. I have been watching this item on eBay for awhile - https://www.ebay.com/itm...Profi-1-OVP/264684847480
I wondered if anyone here has bought from this person before?
It looks like a good set but the picture of the steam locomotive looks like there is some corrosion on the steam locomotive rods?
I have emailed the seller and they have replied but they have not given me much detail. I have actually said I would be willing to get the set if they could test and send a video but I have not heard back yet.
Wondering if anyone here has ever bought from them before.

Thank you
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#30 Posted : 17 April 2020 10:39:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have been watching this item on eBay for awhile......I wondered if anyone here has bought from this person before?

Yes, I purchased my 55011 E10 from Bimmelbahn. Absolutely no issues with purchasing from them.

You can save 60€ by purchasing this set direct off the Bimmelbahn website.

https://www.bimmelbahn24...-starterset-profi-1-ovp/

I don't think that is corrosion on the steam loco's driving rods, it looks like someone (possibly the factory) may have applied some weathering to them.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz