Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2020 00:13:50(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guys Cool

Track C marklin is a reproduction of a track with ballast.

So I'm looking for something to put between the two tracks.

I really don't see what

Do you have any ideas?

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2020 00:53:20(UTC)
Copenhagen

Busch has a ballast (Schotter) especially made for C track (I believe Noch has something very close too). Using a different color for variety works well also (like Woodland Scenics gray in medium size) and then vegetation, flock, grass etc. can be used where appropriate, also something like yellowish sand/gravel can be used.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2020 01:46:00(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I agree with above post. Rather than try and replicate the ballast in between tracks it looks quite good doing a different colour. The contrast will make the tracks stand out a bit.

Have a look at Marklin exhibition layout where they use a dark brown underlay between tracks.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2020 08:55:12(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys Cool

Track C marklin is a reproduction of a track with ballast.

So I'm looking for something to put between the two tracks.

I really don't see what

Do you have any ideasBigGrin ?

Thewolf

As you plan for 77.5 mm track distance instead of 64.3 mm, you could also place a lake or a city between the tracks... BigGrin

Ofcourse I’m just kidding... This layout ”almost” had me going for C tracks instead of K tracks in visible areas, it could maybe be of inspiration:

I like e.g. the areas where ballast color is the same as the C tracks. ThumpUp

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2020 10:15:49(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

As you plan for 77.5 mm track distance instead of 64.3 mm, you could also place a lake or a city between the tracks... BigGrin

Ofcourse I’m just kidding... This layout ”almost” had me going for C tracks instead of K tracks in visible areas, it could maybe be of inspiration:

I like e.g. the areas where ballast color is the same as the C tracks. ThumpUp

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your post of the video, I enjoyed it very much. BigGrin

You may have seen from my posts that included images of my layout that I am quite enthused with K track for numerous reasons.
As you note, K track can enable close inter-track distances - but to each his own and this wonderful forum has many fine members of eclectic interest variant at power control format, gauge, manufacture, vintage and Märklin track differences - these are the attributes that make it such a magnificent diverse forum !ThumpUp

Regards,

PJSmile

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2020 12:24:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use the Noch ballast that matches C-track, and I think the effect is very realistic.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2020 12:54:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Go with Rae as his layout with C Track to me looks excellent.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2020 17:29:00(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hy gang Cool

Thank you for your suggestions.

They are noted

I can see I'll be spoilt for choice.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Copenhagen  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2020 13:16:27(UTC)
Copenhagen

You can see a mix of Busch C ballast and Woodland Scenics gray and brown here:
1F3B6CA4-B49D-4A21-A777-985F5370C05B.jpeg525BF96C-2446-4BD4-A960-58C3F0634439.jpeg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline esgovipa  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2020 19:20:24(UTC)
esgovipa

Spain   
I use the Noch ballast (09376).

In this album you can see the process album

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Best regards
"https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rapama14"
UserPostedImage
IC1968
UserPostedImage
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by esgovipa
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2020 21:25:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: esgovipa Go to Quoted Post
I use the Noch ballast (09376).

In this album you can see the process

Nice looking bit of scenery. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

The folds in the hills do look natural, not always easy to achieve.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline midwestbls  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2020 21:09:52(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
I think the greatest contributor to C-track looking more "natural" is to weather - even lightly - the sides of the rails! A bit of dry brushing (almost any shade of gray, black, brown, etc.) across the plastic ballast is also a winner. And if you clip your catenary masts or signals under the roadbed, for sure ballast or cover the "gap" - that looks terrible.
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by midwestbls
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2020 00:48:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: midwestbls Go to Quoted Post
I think the greatest contributor to C-track looking more "natural" is to weather - even lightly - the sides of the rails!

I agree. You can get a really nice look with less mess and way less cost and labor, especially for a larger layout by weathering versus the (beautiful) hand laid ballast. I would prefer the later but my plans are for long lines and I can't lavish that much money and effort except in a few areas. The weathered track and ballast are easier to keep clean too, which is a concern for me, after seeing some people's trains after running or storing under poor conditions

BTW - Just figuring this stuff out is really fun for me - I know that I am weird- but at least I am happy. ThumpUp

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mbarreto  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2020 13:30:26(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

In a Märklin Magazine (German edition) from 1997 or 1999 (I can't remeber but think was from 1999), there was an article about weathering C track.
Beyond painting the rails, I remember the first task was to remove the shine of the ballast. After that thye changed the colour to something close to what is the Trix C track and added some raw painting so that it didn't lok so homogeneous.
Unfortunately I can't remember how it was done, and I also don't remember if I understood it (as it was in German...).
In case during the weekend I find the article, I will take a photo and upload, but probablility of find it is very low.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 24 January 2020 19:12:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
On the question of "weathering" C-track, I would like to comment that when ballasted nicely with the Noch ballast and used for a couple of years, the natural effect of trains running and household dust mixing into it will produce quite a pleasantly realistic look.

UserPostedImage

Others might disagree, but I think there's no need for me to paint the rails or do anything else to this track...
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 25 January 2020 01:10:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Others might disagree, but I think there's no need for me to paint the rails or do anything else to this track...

I completely agree with you Ray - that track is perfect and needs nothing but trains running on it. ThumpUp

I think the utility of weathering is for long runs of straight track like the American southwest I want to model as part of my next layout. When modeling very long lines the economy of just dry brushing and getting a good appearance makes sense. I think everyone agrees that doing something like Noch ballast gives a lovely result and is preferable. ThumpUp

I also was interested in your comment about it looking better with time and dirt and thinking Wow, I never thought my poor cleaning habits could have an actual purpose. BigGrin

But seriously, maintaining it over time was a concern of mine when deciding how much of my layout I want to do real ballast on. Definitely in more built up scenes and in my more highly landscaped areas and it is good to know that it just gets better as it ages. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 25 January 2020 07:03:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I agree that painting the sides of the rail is likely the most effective, but a lot of work.

Try to vary the colours between C track.
I use standard coloured Noch or other scenic texture paper underlays, changing them every half-metre (18 inches) or so.
It looks OK to me for a model train set, and bypasses the mess associated with glues and ballasting.
The more random your colour changes, the better.

UserPostedImage

Yards are in-fill with cardboard rail to rail.

UserPostedImage

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rrf  
#18 Posted : 25 January 2020 13:11:49(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I use standard coloured Noch or other scenic texture paper underlays

Hello,

Has anyone found an underlay that is a good match for C-Track Ballast?

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline michelvr  
#19 Posted : 22 October 2020 18:38:34(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Serge (Thewolf) and fellow Márklin users,

Seeing the beautiful work done by my fellow Marklin-users.net modellers on ballasting Márklin C track, I thought it was time for me to try my hand at it. BigGrin

Here are a couple of pictures of my attempt. OhMyGod

First, paint the plywood grey. Yes grey not gray as I’m not American, I’m Canadian, eh!

As some of you know I have quite a substantial amount of track to do so to make this easy, I’ve had to come up with a way to do this effectively and most importantly, easily! My solution to tackle this endeavour is to use 1/2 inch/13mm artist masking tape, the reason being is that it sticks really, really well! I’ve tried painters masking tape but that does not stick well enough. I position the tape in the middle of the rail and then press down the sides of the tape so that is covers the wooden tie ends. Then I can brush glue onto the sides of the angled track bed without getting glue on the top of the wooden ties and track bed. I’m using the Noch Grass Glue item number 61130I which seems to work best at letting me brush on a thin coat of glue. Once I get a better feel for doing this, I will post a video.

One lesson learned so far is not to let the glue dry before removing the masking tape as it will remove the ballast that’s stuck to the tape leaving an uneven edge of ballast on the road bed edge!

BTW; I’m using Woodland Scenic coarse grey ballast for the ground covering and fine grey ballast for the angled track bed.

The painting of the track will come once I’ve completed the ballasting of my layout sometime in 2030, Just kidding!LOL

Any question please ask!

Sincerely Michel.

FCD0304A-0BDF-45D0-A881-342D6DB7F4AD.jpegA19E6A22-F62D-4077-A33D-C5FF9E696CF8.jpegE4602B64-98E8-466C-8BD6-F11DD669BA12.jpeg55360885-16ED-4472-A7F4-BA425DA4B5ED.jpeg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Copenhagen  
#20 Posted : 22 October 2020 21:37:47(UTC)
Copenhagen

Michelvr. Thx for sharing pictures. Have you considered the Woodland's medium ballast?
Offline michelvr  
#21 Posted : 22 October 2020 22:43:37(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Copenhagen,

Medium would also work nicely too!

I’m using what I have on hand as I have a box full of scenic material which included these two types of ballast in grey.
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 23 October 2020 14:43:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ballast should have different colours along with weeds etc. using ballast of the same colour without any type of oil patches and weeds just looks wrong. Woodland scenes have track underlay which is not bad and different scatter can be added to it.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline harris19  
#23 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:13:25(UTC)
harris19

Greece   
hello all of you.
in my opinion the noch n scale product for ballast is the one you can select.
the noch 09174 looks like Maerklin c track ballast , it is inportand to to remember that if you use the n scale you can correct
the result easily , if you dont like it adding a bigger one ( in my opinion you dont need to for the purpose you want it ).
the colour is very near but if you use vallejo washer you can give an extra focus to the points steam locos sprays some oil to the ground.
Finnaly ,in my opinion the way you do it is the 50% of the success
1st you apply the material and you formed
2st moisturized it with water + (2-4) drops of dish detergent (prevent adhesive to melt with the moisturized ballast) using small areas
3rd fill the area with pla adhesive 50 -50 with water + 2-4 drops of dish detergent (it will look like a small white lake !!!, but dont worry thats good )
let it dry for a day
thank you
Harris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by harris19