Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drjoe11  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2019 15:53:33(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
I have a CS3+ and I am using Marklin Contact tracks. The Link S88 is connected and recognized correctly. How do I get the contact track to either switch a turnout or transition a signal from go to stop?

I have connected the contact track to the S88 and this is where my problem lies. What do I do next to make an event happen? The manuals do not help much. Reading forums it tells me to isolate one of the rails. But why, when the contact is made, should not something trigger the event?

I am a complete loss on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new to the new CS3+ system. My old layout used the old digital technology (6021 etc.). I know the CS3+ is super powerful and I am in the process of a long learning curve.

Please assist.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2019 02:07:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Drjoe11 Go to Quoted Post
I have a CS3+ and I am using Marklin Contact tracks. The Link S88 is connected and recognized correctly. How do I get the contact track to either switch a turnout or transition a signal from go to stop?

I have connected the contact track to the S88 and this is where my problem lies. What do I do next to make an event happen? The manuals do not help much. Reading forums it tells me to isolate one of the rails. But why, when the contact is made, should not something trigger the event?

I am a complete loss on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new to the new CS3+ system. My old layout used the old digital technology (6021 etc.). I know the CS3+ is super powerful and I am in the process of a long learning curve.

Please assist.

My recommendation is to buy this Maerklin book

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

You find all articles from the Maerklin Magazin about the CS 3 handling in the German download area at Maerklin's website as well.

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

But all these articles are only in German available.

This is the article describing events, you are asking for.

https://www.maerklin.de/...n-Digital-MM-2017-04.pdf

This is the article in German which will solve your problem. A similar article you find in the Maerklin book in English.

Maerklin has also issued videos on You Tube for controlling a CS 3, even to set up special events. But they are also only in German.

https://www.youtube.com/...E0RxHUEhpvWf49pRQ/videos

These links are mainly to show you as much support is available by Maerklin. But mainly unfortunately only in German. Not easy, even if you see the pictures only. So I will recommend buying the Maerklin book 03092 (this is the English version!). It helps you much more for your CS 3, not only about the CS 3 events.
Offline Drjoe11  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2019 12:02:45(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
I looked at the articles, but I do not speak or read German. Is there any explanations in English? I already have the CS3 running trains digitally with the cs3 book, but it does not dully explain what to do after you connect the contact to the Link S88.
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2019 12:31:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am no expert here but why have a link if you have a CS3 PLus which connects straight to the S88. The CS3 book is available in English and should give you the instructions you need. Go one step at a time and dont start with anything complicated.

It does take time but you will get there.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2019 18:46:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

I looked at the articles, but I do not speak or read German. Is there any explanations in English? I already have the CS3 running trains digitally with the cs3 book, but it does not dully explain what to do after you connect the contact to the Link S88.

You have already the CS 3 book (CS3B)? This is great. See from page 78 onwards. Maerklin describes in this chapter how to set up events.

BTW a link S88 or S88 AC/DC (see CS3B page 93) with the applicable feedback contacts (Maerklin has 3 different possibilities to generate the electric impulse for a fedback contact - see CS3B page 94) are only the tools for an event. They have always be connected with an event. An example for an event is an automatic operation for a shuttle train over a defined line on the layout. An example how setting it up, you find in the CS3B under #7 "a shuttle line with 2 feedback contacts" (page 87).

And in the English CS3B it all should be in English. I am aware as dreadful it is not understanding the German language. Nevertheless I set up links to articles and videos in German, because normally they have very interesting pictures, graphics, diagramms, etc. inside. These may help even people who do not understand the German text. So far here too. Please ask again, if you have questions beyond the words in the CS3B. It probabely may happen pretty soon, because these events are nothing else as a new special software like Traincontrol for controlling a MRR.

This is the reason why Maerklin publishes all these nice additionally articles about the CS 3 in the Maerklin Magazin. Why these articles are not available in an English PDF file too? These articles in the MM are printed in English, but we discussed it in another thread already.

https://www.marklin-user...azine-article-in-english
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2019 21:32:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

Please assist.

First of all, I forgot asking you, if you have a S 88 Link (60883) or a S88 AC (60881) or a S88 DC (60882)?

It is important, because you got a CS 3+. The S 88 Link is always connected to a CS 3 at the back side and starts a CAN bus from every CS 3. It has also the possibility for an own power supply, if needed. The S88 AC is connected either to a S 88 Link or to the connector at the bottom of a CS 3+. The S88 DC is mainly used for a DC 2-line track system, but can also be used for the AC 3-line system. But this is another story.

Here is technical tip #320 from Maerklin

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-320.pdf

where everything is explained about these 3 decoders and their variations. This is one of these examples I wrote in my other post. It is in German. You cannot read the text (this is at the moment not necessary, because you want to start an event) but you see the 3 pictures of the three different decoders, which are looking quite similar and unfortunately have article numbers which are only separated by the last digit.

For an overview of the usage of these feedback decoders have a look first into CS3B page 201. It is the simple overview of Maerklin's digital architecture based on a CS 3 and CS 3+. Afterwards have a look at this link

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

This is the overview about the complete, more complex system architecture. See the variation of all different feedback decoders.