Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Demch  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2020 20:23:53(UTC)
Demch

United States   
Hi Everyone, I have just purchased a CS3+ and I am aware I do not need a Link S88 and can just use an s88 AC decoder with the CS3+.

I already own a new Link s88 with a power supply 66365 because I intended on buying a CS3. I wonder if there is any reason I should keep the Link 88 or should I just return it and replace it with an S88 Ac decoder. I have 200 feet of track and I plan to use the s88 for detection. I have 17 turnouts on my layout and will be certainly adding more S88s in a short time. I have just begun the wiring process so I have ultimate flexibility at this point. Personally I tend to overbuild and over engineer everything and tend to go extra rather than shortcut anything. I guess that why I love Marklin!

I would love any opinions, advice or reasons I should keep or return the link s88
Thank you Sincerely!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2020 20:50:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I see 3 advantages having a Link 88
- You have 2 separate buses (1 & 2) to go in both directions of your layout (assuming your CS3 is in a central location).
- You can select 5 or 12 V (I guess the CS3+ is 12 V by default but not sure) so you may use other S88 types (not from Märklin.
- you may use Bus 3 (the old style flat cable-based decoder)
These are not huge reasons and if you start from scratch the safest way is to use 12 V for noise immunity. In that case if you don't bother having only one Bus from the CS3 then go ahead and return the Link 88 and buy additional s88 AC
In my case one of my "S88" is coming from my turntable decoder (DSD2010 from DigitalBahn) which works only in 5 V so I would need a Link88 (and I have one).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Demch  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2020 18:39:17(UTC)
Demch

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I see 3 advantages having a Link 88
- You have 2 separate buses (1 & 2) to go in both directions of your layout (assuming your CS3 is in a central location).
- You can select 5 or 12 V (I guess the CS3+ is 12 V by default but not sure) so you may use other S88 types (not from Märklin.
- you may use Bus 3 (the old style flat cable-based decoder)
These are not huge reasons and if you start from scratch the safest way is to use 12 V for noise immunity. In that case if you don't bother having only one Bus from the CS3 then go ahead and return the Link 88 and buy additional s88 AC
In my case one of my "S88" is coming from my turntable decoder (DSD2010 from DigitalBahn) which works only in 5 V so I would need a Link88 (and I have one).
Cheers
Jean

Thank you Sincerely!

I am having trouble seeing any negative to keeping the Link,
You make some good point to keeping it.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2020 10:50:00(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
An additional point to highlight would be

The L88 has 16 ports that you may use as a simple S88 . i.e. you already have the capability of a S88AC

However, these ports may be configured as an 8x8 matrix to give you 64 addresses (i.e. the equivalent of 4 x S88s),
which may be of interest if you wish to have a tactile control board with 64 buttons.

I would not use the matrix ports with the traditional "ground rail return" track detection, however if you have discrete sensors like reed switches where both wires are returned to the L88 as part of the matrix , that reduces you need for additional S88s.
(Personally I would keep things simple and use a normal S88AC or S88DC for any actual track detection.)

Just a small word of warning,
It has taken Marklin a long time to get the firmware workable on the CS2, with one significant issue being the tendancy to forget the configuration if the unit is not powered on at the right time.
The CS3 is a bit better, however make sure you have your power on process/sequence in place so everything powers up at the same time.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Demch  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2020 05:08:43(UTC)
Demch

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
An additional point to highlight would be

The L88 has 16 ports that you may use as a simple S88 . i.e. you already have the capability of a S88AC

However, these ports may be configured as an 8x8 matrix to give you 64 addresses (i.e. the equivalent of 4 x S88s),
which may be of interest if you wish to have a tactile control board with 64 buttons.

I would not use the matrix ports with the traditional "ground rail return" track detection, however if you have discrete sensors like reed switches where both wires are returned to the L88 as part of the matrix , that reduces you need for additional S88s.
(Personally I would keep things simple and use a normal S88AC or S88DC for any actual track detection.)

Just a small word of warning,
It has taken Marklin a long time to get the firmware workable on the CS2, with one significant issue being the tendancy to forget the configuration if the unit is not powered on at the right time.
The CS3 is a bit better, however make sure you have your power on process/sequence in place so everything powers up at the same time.

That is really great information.i believe I like your simple analogy at the end...
I also appreciate the advice on proper procedures.

It means a lot to me that you took the time to respond
Sincerely