Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline navemp  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2018 22:59:52(UTC)
navemp

Canada   
Hi, I am quite new to this community. I would appreciate help in upgrading my Marklin 2881(Kaiser Wiheml II complete set with Loco and 6 cars) Delta Digital to full digital with sound. I intend use it with my MS2 and later this year with my CS3. I would like to upgrade the engine to have sound and smoke and the carriages to have LED and to be controlled separately. Can I use one decoder chip or do I require one for the engine and another for the cars. What would be the best chip to get for this operation.
Thanks
Mevan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by navemp
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2018 00:11:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: navemp Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I am quite new to this community. I would appreciate help in upgrading my Marklin 2881(Kaiser Wiheml II complete set with Loco and 6 cars) Delta Digital to full digital with sound. I intend use it with my MS2 and later this year with my CS3. I would like to upgrade the engine to have sound and smoke and the carriages to have LED and to be controlled separately. Can I use one decoder chip or do I require one for the engine and another for the cars. What would be the best chip to get for this operation.
Thanks
Mevan

The original full digital (2681) version had a decoder for each pair of cars, this was one difference to the Delta version you have. One car had a decoder with a conducting coupling to the next car, so the decoder could turn the lights in the two cars on and off seperately. The next two car set had another decoder in one car with conducting coupling to the next car, with the lights wired to different functions and the decoder at the same address as the first decoder. The third coach pair had the same setup again using yet another function pair. The coaches used the accessory addressing system although it used the same address as the loco decoder.

I would put an mfx decoder in the loco. Personally I would use a Loksound M4 as I have a lokprogrammer so can load the required sound file. I don't know if Marklin have an appropriate sound file for an msd/3 decoder, but that would be the other option.

I would have to think about how to set up the coaches, maybe someone else can think of a viable way.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2018 00:44:38(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, congratulations, this is a really great Maerklin set, but.....
The original locomotive had serious design flaws, too light and gear train troubles, both were freely upgraded by Maerklin at the time, should be a certificate with the set, if not look under the cabin roof and sides, should be extra weights attached. If you have an original version you will have trouble with this, gear for the drivetrain are still findeable with some ease. Also, plastic parts are prone to brake in the valve assy and front lamp holder. A Valve assy sold as a complete set with cylinders took me several years to find, searched on a regular basis. The lamp holder has not yet appeared. For all of that, if your loco is in like new condition you better have to no run it, only some test to see it. A good option is Maerklin 37192 IIRC, even if it has the DRG lettering, they still are in Prussian livery. Another option can be a S10.1 from Fleischmann, wich also looks very nice.
I must say that i have been waiting from a long time for a new S10 in era I.

As for the cars, they are truly a gem!!!! In digital, they are arranged in 2 groups of three, the central one having the decoder wich is mounted on the light strip, you will have to see if there is any space for a fx deco, if it is there should be no problem to control independently the lights of the 6 cars.

And back on topic, thing is that i would not spend in upgrading the electronics of a loco wich has serious mechanical problems.

Regards

Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2019 00:13:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I'm assisting our MMRC friend Tim with some of his Loco's and have an issue with one of his 2681 units.

I've looked at other threads also on the topic but want to ask two questions freshly.

2003 - https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t560---2681
2005 - https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t2517-what-s-the-difference-in-the-2881-and-the-2681

1: DECODER

The Decoder in one of his units appears faulty. It runs in reverse, but not forward except a couple of times where it ran forward for just a brief spell (cm's) then stopped.

With the small motor lifted out from the chassis there is no change. Runs fine in one direction, not the other so it's not a mechanical issue causing it.

Assuming the Decoder is crook, what would I be best to replace it with? - I imagine I can put any of the modern decoders in but I'd really seek the advice/experience of anyone who has already done it and the outcome, any "gotcha's" to watch for etc, especially mounting it securely.

2: DOUBLE-HEADING

As has been reported in these threads, this Loco (and his other working one) is rather weak, it barely pulls the coaches.

An option that Tim would like is to double-head but I don't know how you would join them because there is no coupling facility at the front of the Loco's. Just the tiny prototypical hook.

It's been done with the G1 version but not H0

Love to hear any experiences on this as well.

Cheers

Cookee

P1050914.JPG

P1050913.JPG

P1050917.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:11:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi. I had the same problem with my first S10. I have changed the decoder with no big troubles but.....
At first I had bad behavior of the motor in the end it was bad grounding, what I have finally done was to cut the PCB to retain grounding trough the screws that secure it to the tender chassis, you can also do it just using grounding tabs but using the old PCB is good because you can still use the contact points for the rear lleds.
As for point 2. I have no idea of what can be done.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:15:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks
Mevan

Beside the mechanical problems (I know nothing about it) to your question. And as the others wrote about this train, the coaches must have decoders already. Do you see any need to change them? If they still do their job, keep them.

For the loco an upgrading is worthwhile. Take a new mSD/3 decoder from Maerklin. This decoder you get with an presetted steam sound. On Maerklin's website you can download plenty of soundfiles for the new mSD/3 decoder. These decoders are excellent in their characteristics. There you plan to get a CS 3, why not use the other appliances from Maerklin too? Maerklin has a programming stick (art # 60971) for transfer new sounds onto a mSD/3 decoder.

What's about the motor inside of your loco?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:23:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Thanks
Mevan

Beside the mechanical problems (I know nothing about it) to your question. And as the others wrote about this train, the coaches must have decoders already. Do you see any need to change them? If they still do their job, keep them.

For the loco an upgrading is worthwhile. Take a new mSD/3 decoder from Maerklin. This decoder you get with an presetted steam sound. On Maerklin's website you can download plenty of soundfiles for the new mSD/3 decoder. These decoders are excellent in their characteristics. There you plan to get a CS 3, why not use the other appliances from Maerklin too? Maerklin has a programming stick (art # 60971) for transfer new sounds onto a mSD/3 decoder.

What's about the motor inside of your loco?

Hi Wolf, I think you've replied to the original question from last year, not my current query.

I thought it better to continue a similar topic than start yet another new one.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:25:32(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
a picture

UserPostedImage

regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:27:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I had the same problem with my first S10. I have changed the decoder with no big troubles but.....
At first I had bad behavior of the motor in the end it was bad grounding, what I have finally done was to cut the PCB to retain grounding trough the screws that secure it to the tender chassis, you can also do it just using grounding tabs but using the old PCB is good because you can still use the contact points for the rear lleds.
As for point 2. I have no idea of what can be done.
Regards

Thanks for the reply, did you replace with the same decoder or did you go for a different version? - if so, what type/model?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:30:07(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
The "new" decoder is an mLD, works just fine, if your friend wants sound, there is enough space for a speaker i think.
Regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 20 July 2019 02:57:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Wolf, I think you've replied to the original question from last year, not my current query.

I thought it better to continue a similar topic than start yet another new one.

Cheers

Indeed thanks, I did not realize that the opening post is over a year old already.
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 20 July 2019 03:00:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
The "new" decoder is an mLD, works just fine, if your friend wants sound, there is enough space for a speaker i think.
Regards

But then he has to take a mSD/3 (=Maerklin Sound Decoder 3). A mLD is only the loco decoder without sound.
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 20 July 2019 03:15:37(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, that is why i used the word "new". At the time of the upgrade was the best M deco available, sound was not an issue for me, and as you can see in the picture the deco is mounted on a 21 pin interface, so changing decoders with or without sound is just plug an play.
regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg