Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2003 19:57:32(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi All,

I've a question, for a few years now I'm collecting and using Marklin HO Digital trains in the "epoche 1". In 1996/1997 Marklin produced a complete model (# 2681/2881) of the "Wilhelm II zug". The set contains a loco (S10) and 6 cars. Here's my question: I'm interested in buying a 2681, but I've heard the loco isn't a nice running machine. Does anyone have experience with this model? Is it true it runs bad and what can you do about it?

Thanks!

Yours,
Sander

Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2003 21:34:39(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
It is probably true that the running characteristics of the loco is rather weak compared to a modern 37xxx or 39xxx loco. The loco in the 2681/2881 set is equipped with a Faulhaber "Glockenancker" motor, and at that time Märklin did not have any regulated decoders for that kind of motor.

Now there is the 60905 decoder for the Faulhaber motors, but I do not know if it fits mechanically within the loco of the 2681/2881 set.

Another alternative could be the ESU LokPilot decoder. It is cheaper and smaller than the Märklin 60905. According to my experience the LokPilot gives good but not perfect running characteristics in digital operation, but unlike the Märklin decoder the maximum speed isn't adjustable in conventional AC operation (and typically all too fast).

Offline Sander van Wijk  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2003 22:03:31(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Thanks Perz!
Fitting another decoder could be a solution, that's right. If the chassis is ok, it's worth it. One of the reasons I've posted this topic is because of the fact that a friend of mine has a #2681, he considered the loco as quite "unstable". Since I know he really is critical to all products I'm trying to find other #2681 owners to find out if it's a common problem or not. You don't have a #2681 yourself do you? Does anyone know an #2681 owner?

Yours,
Sander van Wijk

Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline 7gauges  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2003 23:12:01(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
The LOCO for the 2681/2881 set was not heavy enough to ensure reliable contact and traction on the rails ... Marklin at one point offered a weight kit for the boiler / cab which made a big difference ... Unfortunately Marklin in N.America decided it's customers did need it (because of they're astoundingly poor customer service), and therefore it wasn't offered in Canada or the US.

I don't believe the weight kit is available anymore.

Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2003 23:25:57(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I don't have the set.

I have another loco, the 37645 MaK diesel, with similar motor concept and (before I converted it) unregulated decoder. The 37645 is rather heavy but still didn't have very good running characteristics with the original decoder. If the loco of 2681 has too low weight too it will not make it better. Adding weight should not be too difficult even if you can't find the original Märklin weight kit.