Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline orionstars  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2019 17:20:07(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
I'm certain I've either asked or read this and didn't write down the answer where I could find it again! 😳

Simply put. How many MS2s can I run on 1 layout without a Central Station?
Thanks for the help!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2019 17:29:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: orionstars Go to Quoted Post
I'm certain I've either asked or read this and didn't write down the answer where I could find it again! 😳

Thanks for the help!

You can run two straight off the track box. However is you get an appropriate CAN Bus connection module you can increase it more. IIRC the number 10 comes to mind - but bear in mind that the track box will not supply enough power to have that many locos running at once, especially if you have sounds and coach lighting. If you are just looking to dedicate one or two ms2s to operating points or signals then you should be OK.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2019 21:55:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the help!

Normally 2 MS 2 directly at the trackbox. Have a look at Märklin art. #60122 MS-II Hub. Via this hub you can use up to 10 MS 2 directly at a track box without a CS.

Please note, this 60122 is only usable with a track box, not with a CS.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2019 00:17:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
This is a very topical inquiry.

Specifically because the recent MS2 update update (v3.55) is accompanied with an updated manual (0519 = May2019).
And, while the manual catches up with the updated screens and control behaviour it has NOT bothered to catch up with the physical connection possibilities offered with x1 or x2 60122 "MS II Hubs" . Go figure !

What HAS been now documented in the new manual and implemented in the new code are a number of "physical ergonomic" constraints in the form of
- smaller "bar" selector and clutter of up to 40 locos to choose from - functional YES - pleasurable DEBATABLE
- loss of a "short roster"
- loss of LokCard support on slaves for meaningful tactile selection.

For these reason, for my small kids layout with 3-6 locos (not necessarily running at the same time) I am not averse to having a MS2 throttle dedicated for each loco. (one "MS II Hub" plus one direct connect port provides for 6 units - 2 x "MS II Hub"s would give support for up to 10 units)

When children/visitors come along, it is far simpler to have a label on each MS2 (maybe a picture) and provide instructions that "that controller drives that train.

The loss of a short roster has a serious impact however as the "buttonPushes" can all to easily end up selecting a different locomotive.
For this reason I am serious considering NOT updating all my MS2s to the new 3.55

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline orionstars  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2019 19:01:40(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Hi Clapcott,
This is my situation here. I have 2 littles, my wife and I plus the occasional visitors (many times little ones as well) and I'm trying to solve the "multiple controller issue" for smaller folks.

The handheld infrared remotes are great in that I could only chose 2 (MyWorld) locos so crossover was marginal - obviously so was choice. I'd love to be able to either Lock a MS to one loco or use a card to have each kid all around with it to an available MS take control of that Loco.

Not being able to follow their trains around (like they are used to in the MyWorld/StartUp setup) has been disappointing. With some planning/changes I am slowly adding in assigning siding where maybe they could move off the main - move their Loco Card to a different MS controller/move their controller to a new plug - and stay with their train around the layout.

Have you a solution you've found useful?
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2019 20:14:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the help!

Hello Orionstars,

stars have been sent from you last year already Laugh - but you do not recognize them.Wink

Find your own old thread about this topic from Nov 7th 2018 here:

https://www.marklin-user...ith-multiple-controllers

Another one in 2018 you find here too:

https://www.marklin-user...ile-stations-in-parallel

(see post #4)

ciao

TEEWolf
Offline orionstars  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2019 22:35:08(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Thanks TEEWolf!

I do remember those threads and how helpful they were/are. Those questions (and this one as well) somehow seemed so different to each other every time I read a Marklin publication. I was always more confused then less.

Thats what rookie status gets me!! :)

My reply this time to clapcott was specifically about the kids and multi-controller handling for them.

My little ones have really fallen in love with following their trains around the layout. We've had the opportunity to go operate on some other layouts where either wireless or plug in and run- unplug and move - plug in and continue running have been the norm.

I am working towards something like this for us and was hoping that just moving a Loc Card from MS to MS would basically accomplish the same. But if the new update doesn't allow for this then maybe I have to come up with a different solution.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2019 23:57:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks TEEWolf!

I do remember those threads and how helpful they were/are. Those questions (and this one as well) somehow seemed so different to each other every time I read a Marklin publication. I was always more confused then less.

Thats what rookie status gets me!! :)

My reply this time to clapcott was specifically about the kids and multi-controller handling for them.

My little ones have really fallen in love with following their trains around the layout. We've had the opportunity to go operate on some other layouts where either wireless or plug in and run- unplug and move - plug in and continue running have been the norm.

I am working towards something like this for us and was hoping that just moving a Loc Card from MS to MS would basically accomplish the same. But if the new update doesn't allow for this then maybe I have to come up with a different solution.

The loco card is loco oriented. You can use them either in the CS or MS. It has nothing to do with the software update.

The new update does not allow any wireless moving and I think Maerklin will not change anything on this system. Because Maerklin just announced this year an own, brandnew special wireless system. A RC/3 radio receiver (art #55057) connected with a RC/3 wireless handset controller (art #55017). Well, Maerklin wants to sell its CS 3 and will keep its MS 2 as a cheap starter controller.Smile

Nevertheless you should update your MS 2 to software version 3.55. First you have access to all 40 locos in the database at once and second the track box and language function are updated as well. Have you seen this thread here as well?

https://www.marklin-user...-for-32-Function-support

ciao

TEEWolf