Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lewistrain  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2018 05:20:02(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Hey does any one know if mobile stations can be used on the same track together? As in 2 operators with their own MS running their own trains.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2018 11:29:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The track box allows two MS to be connected at the same time. This is normal and one will become the master and the other the slave. They will both be able to run any of the trains registered on the master MS.

What you should never do is to connect two track boxes to the same track.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2018 00:48:46(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Thanks Ray, so if I get a track box I should be able to use two MSs independently on the same layout.
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2018 02:16:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Ray, so if I get a track box I should be able to use two MSs independently on the same layout.

Correct and with a 60122 MS II Hub you can extend it up to 10 MS 2 using one layout. Märklin writes that this 60122 is only with an MS 2 usable, not with a CS.

With a CS for using more than 2 MS 2 you need the 6125 Terminal (what actually is a hub again) connected with the 60124 cable.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2018 11:02:51(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi,

Thank you for this information.
I had always wondered whether this was possible .. to connect more than 2 MS together .. now I know !

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2018 13:07:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Just curious, Wouldn't you already have a track box with either original set?

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2018 13:39:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Just curious, Wouldn't you already have a track box with either original set?

Cheers

Yes I was thinking the same. Every starter set with an MS2 will contain the track box and its power supply.

However if you are buying the MS2 separately then you will need to buy the track box and power supply as separate items too.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 08 April 2018 14:36:23(UTC)
baggio

Canada   

All you need to have TWO MS2 together is do what Ray said. One MS2 plugs into the track box of the other MS2 and you then have a master and a slave. You do not need to buy a power supply/track box for the other MS2 (and, as Ray also said you, CANNOT plug two power supplies on the same track). That results in a substantial saving.

This allows control of different trains at the same time on each MS2. I do it all the time so I don't have to flip back and forth using one MS2 if I want to run two trains at the same time. (The key point here being you CAN run two or more trains with one MS2, but I trust you knew that already.)
Offline lewistrain  
#9 Posted : 09 April 2018 13:04:30(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
ahh so its the little black box the PSU and MS plug into, i see.
i just scored an older starter set with the MS1 in it, i assume the MS1 is too old to work with my newer black MS ?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 09 April 2018 14:37:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
i just scored an older starter set with the MS1 in it, i assume the MS1 is too old to work with my newer black MS ?

Correct, they will not work together - but they can both work with a CS2 as additional controllers.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 09 April 2018 15:33:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Correct, they will not work together - but they can both work with a CS2 as additional controllers.

@Alan & @ Lewis

As you I was thinking the same about the usage of a Mobile Station 60652 (you named it MS 1). But then I discovered at the German Homepage from Märklin this overview of the system architecture with the CS 3 and CS 3+:

1. Step homepage
https://www.maerklin.de/...gitalbuch-cs3/downloads/

2. Step opened PDF file
https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

It shows you can connect a Mobile Station 60652 directly with a CS 3 60226. Strange.

I looked into the 2 new books from Märklin. The one about the CS 3 (03082 DE/03092EN) and also the other one "Gauge H0 - Article No. 03070 - Book "Returning/Changing Over to Digital Model Railroading"".

Both books got inside an overview of the old digital devices and explanations about their comparability and usage with the new CS 3. There are MS 2 60653 and 66950 (Trix) listed and explained (without any restriction useable), but no word about the MS 60652. Strange again.

So today (09.04.18) I called the Märklin Insider Club technical assistance, asking what now is applicable? First the Märklin employee said the MS is not compatible to a CS 3. So I faced him with the Märklin system architecture for a the CS 3 at the Märklin homepage. He couldn't explain the difference and asked somebody in the back office from Märklin, if a MS 60652 can be connected and used with a CS 3.

Believe it or not: then he revised his first statement and said YES, this systematical overview is correct. You can attach a MS 60652 direct to a CS 3! Also it should be connectable with the track box 60113.

Has somebody the courage to test it? I only have a track box 60113 with 2 MS 2 60653, but no MS 60652.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 09 April 2018 20:31:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Believe it or not: then he revised his first statement and said YES, this systematical overview is correct. You can attach a MS 60652 direct to a CS 3! Also it should be connectable with the track box 60113.
Should be connectable? He should know, he's the hotline. Cool

All Märklin Mobile Stations have the same plug. Thus the MS1 can be plugged in anywhere the MS2 can be plugged in and vice versa.

But AFAIK the MS2 does not do any good when plugged into a Central Station 60212 nor does the MS1 do any good when plugged into a trackbox 60112/60113.

The MS1 can be used with the CS2, but it requires a specific firmware level on the MS1. It does not work with firmware 1.1, but I do not know the minimum firmware that will work.
The firmware of the MS1 can be updated with a Central Station 60212 or an ECoS.

I think there will be no damage when connecting Mobile Stations to incompatible devices (like MS1 and 60113). But I won't take any risk and will not try this.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:27:12(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Did it once IIRC, they just dont work.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
H0
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 10 April 2018 19:09:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The cable between the mobile station (s) and the track box/central stations are just data cables; they create a data transfer interface between the two units connected. I'd expect that there is no harm in plugging them in to each other if the plug/socket types match. Whether you can do work (as folks have discovered) depends on what the software/firmware on the two connected devices do as far as communicating over that data connection. If the data protocols are different they just cannot talk to each other. So when its not working, I expect that one end is speaking Welsch and the other end is speaking Kölsche. The phone receiver to face interface works just fine and no one's head is exploding, they just have no clue what the other is saying.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 10 April 2018 20:35:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The cable between the mobile station (s) and the track box/central stations are just data cables
With the MS1 the booster is inside the handheld unit.
The full power from the power supply goes through the cable to the handheld and the full track power goes back through different wires of the same cable.
Those high-power pins of the MS1 are not used with the MS2, so there should be no risk of damage when plugged in correctly. But don't force the plug the wrong way into an MS1 trackbox 60115 or 24088.

I think an MS2 or a Slave-MS1 only uses four out of ten wires.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 13 April 2018 01:14:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
... I expect that one end is speaking Welsch and the other end is speaking Kölsche. ...

Do you really think that almost everybody here understand this?Laugh
(H0 is an exception - he is living almost in Köln.BigGrin )
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 13 April 2018 02:23:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Should be connectable? He should know, he's the hotline. Cool

Absolutely correct. Meanwhile I talked to a Märklin dealer too. He said, yes of course you can use a MS 1 with a CS 3. No problem, but you only can use (I guess he said 4) 4 functions. Märklin knows that, but does not communicate it, because the customer should be uninformed. (Perhaps to buy a new MS 2? Laugh). It is our old and well know "special customer friendliness" Marketing of Märklin.LOL

(But I have to revise it - see below.)

Also I found in a German community a complete thread about usage of an MS 1 combined with a CS 3. It is possible.

http://www.railroad24.de...nbahn/forum.php?id=19360

Maerklin issued another technical tip (Technik Tipp # 331)

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-331.pdf

with an overview of almost all digital devices and their combination with the CS 3 and CS 3+.

What a surprise, first time I see in this table the 60652 (Mobile Station) is listed as an additional operational unit!

Happy playing.
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 13 April 2018 02:26:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

But it works definitely with a new CS 3 - see my post #17 in this thread.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 13 April 2018 08:14:29(UTC)
H0

But it works definitely with a new CS 3 - see my post #17 in this thread.
For the CS2 it is "definitely maybe" as the MS1 may require a firmware update to work with the CS2. I assume it's the same for the CS3.

The MS1 can control 9 functions, not just 4.

A screenshot of my MS1 controlling a DCC loco while connected to my CS1:
UserPostedImage
Note the DCC symbol on the screen.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage