Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2019 12:45:59(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi, I have 2 tt 800 steam locos but cant tell which versions they are. They both have clear traction tires but one has a single hole on each side and the other one has two holes on each side.As far as I can tell thats the only difference. My Kolls book shows a version 4 one which has one hole so what version is other one with two holes in each side. Regards Eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kamstutz  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2019 16:34:00(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
tt 800 steam locos but cant tell which versions they are.

Eddie - According to my Koll's (2018) the only difference between Version 3 (1953) and Version 4 (1954-1956) is that the latter had traction tires. If both of your TT800's have "Haftreifen" (rubber traction tires), but have other chassis differences between the two then perhaps Version 4 had additional undocumented variations? Could you please share some pictures demonstrating the differences? Neither of my TT800's (V2 and V4) have two holes on the sides. Each has only one.

On a side note could some of our German speaking collector friends provide a valid translation of the Koll's difference between Version 2 and Version 3 of the TT800? Koll's says that Version 3 has "Schleppschalter entfällt". My translator says that something is "eliminated" on the Version 3 that is present on Version 2, but I don't get a recognizable translation for this into English. Any help here?

Kurt

Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:11:14(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
This picture is not very good but you can see the second hole close to the cabIMG_0923.JPG
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:13:53(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kamstutz Go to Quoted Post
On a side note could some of our German speaking collector friends provide a valid translation of the Koll's difference between Version 2 and Version 3 of the TT800?Koll's says that Version 3 has "Schleppschalter entfällt".My translator says that something is "eliminated" on the Version 3 that is present on Version 2, but I don't get a recognizable translation for this into English.Any help here?

Hi Kurt,

I think one could translate "Schleppschalter" as a "drag switch." Apparently some versions of the TT800 used such a switch to change the lights according to the direction the locomotive was moving. See posts 15 and 16 of this thread: How to Clean a TT800

Therefore, in Version 3 this switch was eliminated.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline MalinAC  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:34:47(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
The loco in post 4 "How to clean a TT800 " shows the two holes I was talking about
Offline kamstutz  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:54:43(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
... a switch to change the lights according to the direction the locomotive was moving.

Harold - Thanks. Very interesting. I will look closer at my Version 2 to see if I can find this light inversion/changing switch and then make sure that it is not present in my later version TT800.
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2019 18:44:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kamstutz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
... a switch to change the lights according to the direction the locomotive was moving.

Harold - Thanks. Very interesting. I will look closer at my Version 2 to see if I can find this light inversion/changing switch and then make sure that it is not present in my later version TT800.

@crazy Harry made a good description of this "Schleppschalter" (drag switch) mostly seen in the "Silberling Cab Control Car" - here an example

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/43820/

some pictures you get provided by Google

https://www.google.de/se...1152&bih=536#imgrc=_

and here a single picture of such a Märklin drag switch for e.g. Silberlinge H0 control car spare part

https://modellbaustudio-...linge-H0-Ersatzteil.html
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kamstutz  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2019 17:41:46(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
TEEWolf - Thanks for this information and links about the "Schleppschalter". Following your links eventually brought me to an informative short article written by forum member CCS800KrokHunter3 Offline on the subject. The perfect explanation that mentions it's use in the TT800 V1 and V2.

https://marklinstop.com/2009/08/the-mechanical-light-switching-mechanism-der-schleppschalter/

Kurt
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kamstutz