Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fstrobel  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 21:53:20(UTC)
fstrobel

United States   
I guess that this will mostly come down to personal preference but I was wondering if anyone has practical experience they are willing to share.

So, I have a Mobile Station II. At this point, I am planning on using the Mobile Station only to control (and power) trains running on the layout.

I am planning on controlling the turnouts (and possibly other solenoid mechanisms) using a separate power source and a control box (e.g. 72720) (fed by a power bus separate from the bus fed by the 60116 digital control box).

There are three reasons for my approach:
1. I am concerned about pulling too much power from the Mobile Station when controlling several turnouts in addition to trains (and, I am not ready to invest in a Control Station just yet).
2. "Mechanically" controlling the turnouts using a control box seems to me to be easier than fumbling through the rather small screen of the Mobile Station.
3. Last but not least, adding a digital decoder to each turnout gets quite expensive.

Anything wrong with this overall approach / train of thought (pun intended... BigGrin)? Anything that I should generally be aware of when using this approach?

Many thanks in advance for any and all feedback!
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2019 22:12:29(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
For smaller layouts I think that this is a sensible way to go. Splitting the analogue and digital functions works because it isn't that difficult to keep track of or label which button controls which switch. The layout display on Control Stations make it easy to keep track of which turnout is which. At some point the wiring runs in larger layouts become unwieldy and digital makes more sense.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2019 23:39:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: fstrobel Go to Quoted Post
I guess that this will mostly come down to personal preference but I was wondering if anyone has practical experience they are willing to share.

So, I have a Mobile Station II. At this point, I am planning on using the Mobile Station only to control (and power) trains running on the layout.

I am planning on controlling the turnouts (and possibly other solenoid mechanisms) using a separate power source and a control box (e.g. 72720) (fed by a power bus separate from the bus fed by the 60116 digital control box).

There are three reasons for my approach:
1. I am concerned about pulling too much power from the Mobile Station when controlling several turnouts in addition to trains (and, I am not ready to invest in a Control Station just yet).
2. "Mechanically" controlling the turnouts using a control box seems to me to be easier than fumbling through the rather small screen of the Mobile Station.
3. Last but not least, adding a digital decoder to each turnout gets quite expensive.

Anything wrong with this overall approach / train of thought (pun intended... BigGrin)? Anything that I should generally be aware of when using this approach?

Many thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Nothing wrong with your idea.

Here are two different wiring plans

completly analogue

only the turnout lights separated. They are the highest current consumer at a turnout, but you need a decoder for toggeling the turnout, but this wiring is helpful for a CS 3.

Using an extra transformer for the light brings also the possibility for dimming the lights with the red knob.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline fstrobel  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2019 23:50:48(UTC)
fstrobel

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Using an extra transformer for the light brings also the possibility for dimming the lights with the red knob.

Very helpful diagrams! Thank you.

So, the third option then is to use a digital decoder (e.g. 74462) inside the track and to control everything using the Mobile Station. At the same time, I am assuming that I should power more permanent lights such as turn-out light, building lights, etc. still separately.

Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2019 00:50:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: fstrobel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Very helpful diagrams! Thank you.

So, the third option then is to use a digital decoder (e.g. 74462) inside the track and to control everything using the Mobile Station. At the same time, I am assuming that I should power more permanent lights such as turn-out light, building lights, etc. still separately.

This is generally recommended to use the digital current via the tracks not for lights, etc.

But your problem with the MS 2 is just discussed at marklin-users.net in another thead.

https://www.marklin-user...ol-turnouts-with-decoder
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2019 03:06:30(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I can run my trains on analogue or digital but I prefer the analogue method of switching points. Easier to find and operate for my BRAIN.
DERECK
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2019 06:38:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I can run my trains on analogue or digital but I prefer the analogue method of switching points. Easier to find and operate for my BRAIN.
DERECK

Agree - look after your brain.
After my experience on the CS changing from engine control to accessory control and back to engine control is just a big pain.
So except for one digital signal (which is still a pain) all my accessories are controlled by push button.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline fstrobel  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2019 02:32:16(UTC)
fstrobel

United States   
Sounds like my approach makes sense. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

So, if I want to use this configuation:

Does anyone have a recommendation for which transformer (I am in the US) I should get?
Also, I have read somewhere else that it would actually be better to use 12 Volt DC to power the 74491 turnout mechanism rather than 16 Volt AC. Is that true?