Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2019 20:09:18(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good evening fellow Marklin enthusiasts.

I hope some of you knowledgeable people will be able to guide me. My friend has a Marklin 3602. He uses an Ecos 2 to control his layout. The 3602 has been programmed into the ECos as has all of his other locos. Unfortunately for him the 3602 does not respond to any commands from the Ecos. He gave the 3602 to me to try on my layout which is controlled by a Marklin CS2. It works perfectly with the CS2. I have limited knowledge of the Ecos system and wonder if I am overlooking a particular setting that I need to set for this and all Delta locomotives.

All suggestions will be welcome so that I will hopefully be able to sort this problem the next time I visit my friend in February.

Thank you,

John
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2019 21:28:26(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi John,

The 3602 has an old decoder only understanding the first version of the Motorola-format. This decoder only works when the red and brown wires are connected correctly to the rail: Red for the center - rail and brown for the ground. Most modern locomotives ignore when the wires are connected the other way but the old decoders need the correct connection.
At the ECOS "MOTOROLA 14" should be chosen for the decoder-type. "MOTOROLA 27" will not work.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
H0
Offline johnmarklin  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2019 11:50:15(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Markus,

Thank you for the information. I will not be able to implement this advice until I visit my friend in February. I will report back then. Unfortunately my friend is not knowledgeable about matters digital hence the delay in reporting back

John
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2019 11:58:19(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi John,

If I would bet, I would set all my money to the reversed connection. That's the classic fault with Motorola 1 decoders.

From the ECOS manual page 5:

ecos.jpg

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2019 12:00:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
At the ECOS "MOTOROLA 14" should be chosen for the decoder-type. "MOTOROLA 27" will not work.
MOTOROLA 14 is the best setting, but MOTOROLA 27 would also work. With MOTOROLA 28 the loco will not work correctly.

Yes, most likely it's a case of swapping red and brown wires.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2019 12:54:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Okay this is interesting.. I am thinking of moving to a CS3 sometime in the next nine months and I still have some stuff that uses the very early motorola format. Does the CS3 work with the old format? Confused

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2019 13:24:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Does the CS3 work with the old format?
Product description/documentation mention "MM" or "Motorola" and do not mention any restrictions, so I assume that old stuff will work.

The CS2 uses MOTOROLA 27 for all MM locos and I assume the CS3 does the same.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2019 03:53:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Okay this is interesting.. I am thinking of moving to a CS3 sometime in the next nine months and I still have some stuff that uses the very early motorola format. Does the CS3 work with the old format? Confused

Yes, the CS 3 is working with the old format MM and even with your older controller.

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

This diagramm shows as you can set up your CAN bus with your older controllers.

At the technical tipp #303

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-303.pdf

you find something about all decoder types from Märklin. Hopefully you understand German or you may use a translating software

https://www.deepl.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline johnmarklin  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2019 10:41:22(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Success!!!!
Thank you to all who made suggestions/recommendations for resolving this problem. I visited my friend at the weekend and switched over the polarity of the wiring and the loco ran perfectly. All other locos are running perfectly as well.

Your advice is appreciated.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin