Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 3gleise  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2018 22:26:16(UTC)
3gleise

Italy   
good evening,

on a locomotive I install a 60985 sound decoder but I have a problem with the sound of the brakes.
I have a mobile station 60657 and I can not find where to set the sound.
can I solve the problem with the programmer 60971? and how to proceed
thank youSad
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2018 09:12:17(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

The 60971 decoder programmer is a great piece of hardware.
The CS3 is again a great piece of hardware
The mLD/3 and mSD/3 decoders are great

BUT THERE IS A BIG PROBLEM:

The software who supports all these is rubbish. In my opinion is not in beta either.

The documentation that support all these actually does not exist at all!!!!

The only documentation is how to connect the wires !!!!!

I am looking on the excellent documentation of ESU to find information's ......

PLEASE MARKLIN GIVE TO US DOCUMENTATION FOR YOUR PRODUCTS and IMPROVE THE SOFTWARE NOW!!!!

Regards

Costas
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2018 09:27:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: 3gleise Go to Quoted Post
I have a mobile station 60657 and I can not find where to set the sound.
We have many threads about how to get the decoder play the sound of squealing brakes: run very fast and brake very hard.
Do not activate any functions beside the operating sounds.

Did you create the sound project yourself? The brake sound may not be configured correctly.
It should be setup correctly if you just downloaded a sound project from Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2018 16:38:17(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Instructions on how to use the decoder programmer 60971 are found in the book " Digital Controll with CS3", 03082/03092
Quite complete.

Regards,
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Donb
Offline Donb  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2018 04:01:35(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi,

I have been working with the Marklin Decoder tool 60971.

My project was to replace the stock sound decoder in StartUp model # 36627 with a mSD3 (60977) decoder to:

1) use DCC ( the stock decoder does not support DCC)

2) hopefully improve the running characteristics of this loco. When starting from a stop, it hesitates and is not smooth on throttle.

The software is rather straightforward, and the sound library (after downloading the update) has many more entries than I’ll ever use. What took the most time for me was that I had to translate the sound entries as they are all listed in German. No problem.

I uploaded the completed project onto the new mSD3 decoder, after I had updated the decoder software.

The loco now drives much better, no more hesitation at start and smoother on throttle. Also, the sounds are improved. One of the many settings is you can set the headlights to follow Rule 17, so that they dim a little when the loco comes to a stop. Very nice.

I also plugged the stock decoder into the 60971 to see if it could be read, and nope. Not supported, which is disappointing. Might be an older mSD decoder.

One thing I cannot figure out, and that is I want to set F5 and F6 to turn off the Front and Rear headlights respectively. I cant seem to figure out how to set up the function keys to do this. Anyone know?

Cheers,
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 04 December 2018 08:29:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
One thing I cannot figure out, and that is I want to set F5 and F6 to turn off the Front and Rear headlights respectively. I cant seem to figure out how to set up the function keys to do this. Anyone know?
This can easily be done with ESU V4 decoders, but I don't know if the msd/3 has sophisticated function mapping to achieve this.
Märklin locos usually have a lot "bird seed" on the loco PCB to achieve the light functions with F6 and F8.
Check with the old decoder what F6 and F8 do. You can then use F5 and F6 instead.

Alternative:
You can easily set F5 to activate lights for one direction only.
You can easily set F6 to activate lights for the other direction only.
But F0 will then override F5 or F6.
Maybe this is what you want. Or at least sufficient for your needs.
If white and red lights are controlled by a single function output then there is no "programming only" solution to switch them separately. A bit of soldering will be needed.

Does rule 17 apply to German or Swiss locos?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2018 11:17:03(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
It is possible with the mSd 3 decoders

As much as I can understand you want the red taillights on and the white lights off, independent of each other

1. And to F5 and F6 the frond and rear lights respectively
2. Set the Condition for both functions to Neg. Level
3. May be there are conflicts with the F0 and how the red taillights are triggered. In Marklin most of the time is done by hardware mapping...

There is another easier possibility to disconnect the red lights from the white ones and connect them to the AUX 3 or AUX 4 if available and control them directly from F5 and F6. Of course to do that you have to override the hardware mapping.

Good luck

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Donb  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2018 17:29:12(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I set up F5,F6 per Costa's suggestion, and yes F0 overrides this. If I leave F0 off, then I can select which headlights to leave on (also per Tom's suggestion). But the rear talights shut off too. Would like to have them stay on. So maybe some soldering will be involved, but not sure I am that interested. I only want to be able to shut off the forward headlights for "push' configuration.
I cannot read the old decoder with the Decoder Programmer, not supported, so I cannot see how F6,F8 were set up unfortunatly. I'll have to experiment with the configuration settings of the lights and see if one of the settitngs triggers the loco board 'bird seed" (circled).

[img=null]locopcb[/img]locopcb.jpg

What are the three solder tabs (arrow)? Is this the Aux 1,2,3?

Best Regards,
Don
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2018 18:30:06(UTC)
H0

I cannot read the old decoder with the Decoder Programmer
The decoder can be read with a CS2, probably also with a CS1. The CS3 should sooner or later also be able.

If you do not have any CS, then maybe another forum member with a CS and a 36627 can tell us what F6 and F8 do with the original decoder.

Typically this would be a pair like AUX1 and AUX2 - or a pair like AUX3 and AUX4 - or a pair of SUSI functions. These are the three patterns I have seen with Märklin locos so far, but other methods are also possible.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Donb  
#10 Posted : 05 December 2018 02:35:23(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I cannot read the old decoder with the Decoder Programmer
The decoder can be read with a CS2, probably also with a CS1. The CS3 should sooner or later also be able.

If you do not have any CS, then maybe another forum member with a CS and a 36627 can tell us what F6 and F8 do with the original decoder.

Typically this would be a pair like AUX1 and AUX2 - or a pair like AUX3 and AUX4 - or a pair of SUSI functions. These are the three patterns I have seen with Märklin locos so far, but other methods are also possible.

Well that worked!
I don't have a Maerklin CS, but using the 60971 I configured F6 and F8 to controll Output 1 and Output 2, and now it works great, same as OEM setup. The headlights turn off and the red tail lights remain on in either direction, all while F0 is on. Perfect!

One day I may try diffent function button assignments (ie: F5,F6) and see if it still works.

Thanks once again for your assistance, Tom!

Cheers!
Best Regards,
Don