Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline foumaro  
#51 Posted : 19 September 2017 09:38:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have already decide to buy this locomotive,maybe i have to realize that she will spend the most of her life in the display case.
Offline dickinsonj  
#52 Posted : 19 September 2017 16:33:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I have already decide to buy this locomotive,maybe i have to realize that she will spend the most of her life in the display case.

Doesn't this radius requirement just mean that you need R2 or greater in the world of C track and not use it on any R1?

I do have R2 on my 24611/24612 turnouts but all of my curve track is R3 or greater so I assumed that this model would run properly on my layout. I only use the 24611/24612 turnouts in my yards and all of my regular lines have 24711/24712 turnouts. But I'm not sure that I can justify this loco if it won't run on my layout. My Big Boy and Challenger run without problems but I know that this loco needs a larger radius than they do.

I guess I could be missing something here, because I have to admit that fully understanding track geometry is not my best MRR attribute. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Jabez  
#53 Posted : 19 September 2017 17:32:02(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
The loco is being sold by a German webshop for Euro 550.- minus 1 cent.
That means the first 50 Euro's have been cut off.

And lower still already, Eu540 minus 1 cent at MSL today. With their 3% bonus in kind that is approx. Eu 524.
And a straight Eu 523.79 over at Lokshop.
Still a lot of dough though.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline foumaro  
#54 Posted : 19 September 2017 18:47:40(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Doesn't this radius requirement just mean that you need R2 or greater in the world of C track and not use it on any R1?

I do have R2 on my 24611/24612 turnouts but all of my curve track is R3 or greater so I assumed that this model would run properly on my layout. I only use the 24611/24612 turnouts in my yards and all of my regular lines have 24711/24712 turnouts. But I'm not sure that I can justify this loco if it won't run on my layout. My Big Boy and Challenger run without problems but I know that this loco needs a larger radius than they do.

I guess I could be missing something here, because I have to admit that fully understanding track geometry is not my best MRR attribute. BigGrin

Track geometry is not my best too,but who cares?I like this perfect loco and i will try to have her.I will running her to my friend's layouts those are more appropriate for this great locomotive.
Offline dickinsonj  
#55 Posted : 19 September 2017 19:33:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Track geometry is not my best too,but who cares?I like this perfect loco and i will try to have her.I will running her to my friend's layouts those are more appropriate for this great locomotive.

I agree that it really does seem perfect and I may have to get one for my own. My 37015 is a favorite of mine and I think the 39241 may be even nicer. Cool

I am traveling right now and I will give myself until I return home at the end of this week to decide.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Armando  
#56 Posted : 19 September 2017 19:49:10(UTC)
Armando

United States   
This will for sure be a great model.

And I'm glad that the Märklin engineers have finally decided to leave behind the deadwood weight of constraining their designs to fit R1, to the advantage of 21st century new models. Hope this trend will continue.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline Webmaster  
#57 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:02:06(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

And I'm glad that the Märklin engineers have finally decided to leave behind the deadwood weight of constraining their designs to fit R1, to the advantage of 21st century new models. Hope this trend will continue.

For certain special models the restriction is acceptable, but for the general models - R1 compatibility is a must... Cool
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline klarinettmeister  
#58 Posted : 20 September 2017 00:35:15(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Today at the rehearsal with my Symphony Orchestra I ordered myself this loco. I decided to pass the Challenger and choose this one instead. It will look nice together with my 7 Märklin Big Boys and especially together with my blue orient express.

There's only one small problem... I've no layout but then I can plan it without R1. 😀
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline mario54i  
#59 Posted : 20 September 2017 09:57:02(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Has anyone asked to Märklin if the 437.5 mm radius is a hard limit or just a way to say R2 ?
It looks strange that Märklin engineers forget the existence of K rails for just 12 mm radius. But you never know.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline dickinsonj  
#60 Posted : 23 September 2017 02:30:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
BTW Märklin has added new product images to their 39241 page, not only more images, but ones of much higher quality. If the product that they produce looks like the one in those pictures it will be epic. I am looking at this model more favorably than I was before, because I had not been able to get a good impression of it until these images were posted. It looks amazing IMO.

Has anyone else noticed these new images?

Edited by user 24 September 2017 02:02:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline kimballthurlow  
#61 Posted : 23 September 2017 09:29:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Hi Armando,
I also hope that Marklin continues to constrain SOME of their designs to fit R1.
For many Maerklin buyers, the only realistic way to build a working layout, is to use R1.

Maerklin would be making a big mistake to forget these customers.
Sure, by all means make models that appeal to collectors and rivet-counters.
But please don't forget the mass market, on which your products have provided so much pleasure to so many for such a long time.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Goofy  
#62 Posted : 23 September 2017 11:28:59(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Armando,
I also hope that Marklin continues to constrain SOME of their designs to fit R1.
For many Maerklin buyers, the only realistic way to build a working layout, is to use R1.

But please don't forget the mass market, on which your products have provided so much pleasure to so many for such a long time.

Kimball

The french locomotive is for more advance customer who wants more realistic operate on the layout.
You buy american "Big Boy" too?
Do you think customer would like to see this massive steam locomotive operate on the tiny small curve R1?
It don´t look nice and impressive.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline dickinsonj  
#63 Posted : 23 September 2017 15:59:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

The french locomotive is for more advance customer who wants more realistic operate on the layout.
You buy american "Big Boy" too?
Do you think customer would like to see this massive steam locomotive operate on the tiny small curve R1?
It don´t look nice and impressive.

I think the same thing. Although my Big Boy and Challenger will operate on the smaller radii they only look good on R4 or R5 curves. The same applies to many of my passenger coaches as well. For instance my beloved VT 11.5 has beautiful diaphragms but they look a little strange on very tight curves.

I know that everyone has constraints and that many people have used some R1 in their layouts out of necessity. But I always have multiple lines with only R4 and R5 curves for my large models. I hope to someday make a new lowest level on my layout with long straights and large curves to make the kind of setting that the both large and long American trains need to look their best. I know that some people just can't do that but this is just one Märklin model that I am aware of that won't run on R1. I would be interested to know if there are others if anyone knows.

Almost no American model Märklin has ever made looks good on the smaller radii, so the absolute smallest it will run on is less important for large models. I think that Märklin has done a great job overall of accommodating R1 when absolutely necessary and it would have been nice for that to happen with this loco also. But I assume they could not be faithful to the prototype and get it to function correctly if it had to run on any smaller radius. Hopefully the vast majority of their locos will still run on 360 mm curves in the future and no one will feel left out.
Regards,
Jim

Offline steventrain  
#64 Posted : 23 September 2017 20:33:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
39241 in production next month and will be in shop in time for Christmas 2017 - Marklin Customer service.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kimballthurlow  
#65 Posted : 24 September 2017 03:23:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
BTW Märklin has added new product images to their 39241 page, not only more images, but ones of much higher quality. If the product that they produce looks like the one in those pictures it will be epic. I am looking at this model more favorably than I was before, because I had not been able to get a good impression of it until these images were posted. It looks amazing IMO.

Has anyone else noticed these new images?

Yes the product page has a rolling choice of 9 or 10 photographs of the model, presumably in a pre-production guise with some details picked out in a brass casting.

As you say Jim, it puts a nice perspective on the model.
I have said before:- for under 600 Euros, it is amazing value compared to other available models of this type.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dickinsonj  
#66 Posted : 24 September 2017 03:36:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I have said before:- for under 600 Euros, it is amazing value compared to other available models of this type.
Kimball

Even better since I can order it for €488 right now here in the US.

That makes it an amazing value if the production locos are as detailed as the pre-production model that Märklin is showing on their web site.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#67 Posted : 24 September 2017 18:03:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi Armando,

Kimball

There are other models that are constrained for radius - depending what optional details you fit. The Insider Br05 is an obvious one, to run on tight radii the covers over the front bogies need to be ones with cutouts that allow the bogie to turn far enough, although I know one person who modified a Trix version of the loco so that as the bogie turned it pushed the cover out.

There are also models where the radii that it will run on when details are added means it won't run on R1 - some of the S3/6 models come to mind where fitting the cylinder rod protectors limits the minimum radius.

There are also G1 models that will not run on marklins minimum G1 radius. I remember seeing a steam loco attempt this, and the sides of the cab collided with the tender on the minimum radius. The minimum radius was quite clearly stated in the catalogue and included documentation.

But in both cases, if the owner is prepared to put up with the 'incorrect' detailing they can run it on R1. It is a shame they couldn't make a similar compromise with the 241. I would be interested to know what limits the minimum radius.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Crazy Harry  
#68 Posted : 24 September 2017 23:17:34(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would be interested to know what limits the minimum radius.

I suspect it is the wheelbase of the drivers that limits the radius. Articulation of the frame may have solved the minimum radius issue. More drastic would be removal of the flange on the middle drivers, but who would want to do that on a 500 to 600 Euro model?

Harold.

Offline dickinsonj  
#69 Posted : 25 September 2017 00:37:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post

I suspect it is the wheelbase of the drivers that limits the radius.

That is what I think also, and they could not have changed that and remained faithful to the prototype.

The Big Boy also has 4 coupled axles but its wheels are of a smaller diameter and the wheelbase would be somewhat shorter. I think that the fixed wheelbase and the large diameter passenger loco drivers combine to make it just too long to work on R1.
Regards,
Jim

Offline RayF  
#70 Posted : 25 September 2017 12:13:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Some Marklin Br41 models quoted a minimum of R2 curves as well. This is consistent with the limitation imposed by the four coupled axles.

Having said that I have no trouble running my 3792 Br41 on my R1 curves, apart from a bit of noise from the flanges as they complain at being so restricted.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#71 Posted : 25 September 2017 13:59:10(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Some Marklin Br41 models quoted a minimum of R2 curves as well. This is consistent with the limitation imposed by the four coupled axles.

Having said that I have no trouble running my 3792 Br41 on my R1 curves, apart from a bit of noise from the flanges as they complain at being so restricted.

Yes Ray! Same observation here!

In fact I just took a good look at my layout's plan, and there was only **one** hidden spot on the (C-track) mainline with an R1 constraint, and another spot where, in a R2 curve, I used a curved switch (where both curved sections are in fact R1!)

In preparation for the 241A65 arrival next month, I know for sure I can replace the R1 curve, no biggy, but the curved switch will take a lot more fiddling, probably involving the use of one of the new wide radii curved switches.

But clearly , this magnificent model deserves some extra work, no way this would have to turn into a shelf queen!!BigGrin .

Can't wait! Wink Smile

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Rwill  
#72 Posted : 26 September 2017 18:47:14(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Idly browsing my favourite dealers to spot any "bargains" I came across BW Bahn proudly showing on their home page 39241 and its Trix equivalent in stock at 549.99 Euros. Its not ever gonna be for me, for the R1 issue and the simple economics of my bank balance but I wonder what would happen if you pressed "BUY" and how long before the entry is altered ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline dominator  
#73 Posted : 27 September 2017 03:21:35(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
FWIW, 5100 is 360 mm, 5200 is 427.4 mm. R2 is 438 mm. If it noticed the 10.6 mm difference I would be surprised. Wheres the big seal. I wont use 5120 anywhere.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline TEEWolf  
#74 Posted : 27 September 2017 04:22:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Here a picture about Maerklin's curved tracks circle geometry.

Here a link to a PDF-file brochure about Maerklin's C-track geometry. Of course and unfortunately only in German.

Marklin C-tracks geometry

And finally I found the C-Track plans layouts for Maerklin's start-up packages.

track plans
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#75 Posted : 27 September 2017 11:11:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
.... Articulation of the frame may have solved the minimum radius issue. More drastic would be removal of the flange on the middle drivers, but who would want to do that on a 500 to 600 Euro model?

Harold.

Hi Harold,
Flangeless driving wheels on a 3 or 4 axle steam locomotive were quite common.
This was done to eliminate the sideways forces on one or more of the wheel flanges when negotiating curves.

And the same has applied to many models, without mishap to operation or performance.

regards
Kimball
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#76 Posted : 27 September 2017 11:54:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
.... Articulation of the frame may have solved the minimum radius issue. More drastic would be removal of the flange on the middle drivers, but who would want to do that on a 500 to 600 Euro model?

Harold.

Hi Harold,
Flangeless driving wheels on a 3 or 4 axle steam locomotive were quite common.
This was done to eliminate the sideways forces on one or more of the wheel flanges when negotiating curves.

And the same has applied to many models, without mishap to operation or performance.

regards
Kimball

Ha! The old flangeless driver trick!

I remember the new (at the time in the sixties) Triang Hornby Brittania when it came out was such a beautiful model, but I was so disappointed at the middle driver having no flanges. It just looked wrong!

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NewComix  
#77 Posted : 27 September 2017 20:59:21(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone asked to Märklin if the 437.5 mm radius is a hard limit or just a way to say R2 ?
It looks strange that Märklin engineers forget the existence of K rails for just 12 mm radius. But you never know.

A user at Stummiforum has asked Märklin Service, whether K-track radius R2 = 424 mm works for the French steamer 39241 and the answer was YES.

Kind regards
Jörg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline blid  
#78 Posted : 28 September 2017 09:45:19(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
To me it looks like prototypes can have problems with tight curves too. Anyway, this is another renovated steam engine with a mix of nice american passenger cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...4y0&feature=youtu.be
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline dickinsonj  
#79 Posted : 28 September 2017 15:02:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
To me it looks like prototypes can have problems with tight curves too. Anyway, this is another renovated steam engine with a mix of nice american passenger cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...4y0&feature=youtu.be

The problems that some model locos have with tight curves are often due to them being faithful reproductions of their prototypes. Many high performance locos were designed primarily to run on only the best aligned and maintained tracks and therefore models of them exhibit very similar behavior.

I have ridden behind Norfolk and Western #611 on several occasions and she is a real beauty. Even today #611 is capable of higher speeds than most freight track lines in the US will allow. Designed and built in house by Norfolk and Western in their Roanoke, Virginia shops, #611 is one of the finest steam locomotives ever to run in the US. It is among just a handful of these high performance machines still being operated today, very much like the beautiful SNCF 241.A.65.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#80 Posted : 30 September 2017 02:29:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
BTW I have another observation to make on this model based on me being a total novice concerning SNCF locos.

Since I fell in love with Märklin's 39241 I have been watching videos of the real thing out on the rails and learning to appreciate what a special locomotive the 241.A.65 really is. Many of you no doubt knew about this loco already, but to me it was totally new. Cool

WOW -What a beauty the SNCF Class 241 loco is. It has perfect proportions with an impressive drive train and a lot of nice brass details. I think that this loco is "Go big or Go home" territory for any model railway maker. It was indeed a fall surprise to see Märklin offer such a beautifully detailed model of such an amazing loco at what I find to be a reasonable price. You can always get the Micro Metakit Class 241, which although much more detailed is not really all that much prettier and cost over 3.000€!

Here I was thinking that the Märklin fall lineup was weak and that I could easily passed up everything that they were offering. Cool

Edited by user 30 September 2017 15:14:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline steventrain  
#81 Posted : 10 October 2017 19:59:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
39241 planning delivery date is November - Marklin database.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline rbonet  
#82 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:14:24(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
Steven, thank you very much for this announcement.
In fact, I lack your periodic post with the Märklin updated delivery dates.

Cheers,

Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline Thewolf  
#83 Posted : 10 October 2017 22:30:53(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
39241 planning delivery date is November - Marklin database.

Hello Steven

Happy to read youBigGrin

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline foumaro  
#84 Posted : 11 October 2017 10:21:41(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very good news for me,very bad news for my wallet.LOL Love BigGrin ThumpUp
Offline ac jacko  
#85 Posted : 07 November 2017 09:43:01(UTC)
ac jacko

The white wheel rim and the boiler lines make it for me as an amazing model as I can always dream of buying one day ;)
Offline jvuye  
#86 Posted : 07 November 2017 18:28:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Can't wait for it to arrive!!BigGrin
The changes to the layout have been performed , there are no R1 curves anywhere on it now, at least on the mainline, the 4 tracks in the main station and to/from the coaling station and turntable.
The new R3 curved Ctrack switches are marvelous! Cool
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#87 Posted : 07 November 2017 21:50:31(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Hi Everybody.

Since I first saw her, I was so impressed!!! One of the most beautiful steam locomotives I have ever seen. Add to all this, that it is Era II (my favorite era), well ... what else could I do??? I ordered her!!!! Can't wait to see her in the flesh!!!

Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline dickinsonj  
#88 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:27:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post

Since I first saw her, I was so impressed!!! One of the most beautiful steam locomotives I have ever seen.
Regards

Paris

I totally agree with you Paris.

I am a huge steam fan and I have never seen a more beautiful locomotive than the SNCF 241.A.65. I have some gorgeous steam locos but none of them really comes close the the balance and charm of this loco. It is big enough to be impressive but so well proportioned and designed that it looks sleek and swift. Märklin showed an amazing level of detail on their hand sample, and if the production model meets that goal, it will be a MRR milestone IMO.

I spent a week pretended to be considering if I should get it or not, but I never seriously wondered if I would order it. No clue when it will find me here in rural USA, but I am sure that it will be at least January or later.

But it will be a very happy day on my layout when it does arrive. I don't believe that I have looked forward to a new loco this much since the 2001 Big Boy blew me away! Cool

Next up Märklin - please build me a perfect late 1920's Orient Express coach set in blue and I can die a happy man. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#89 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:32:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

That is good to know Jacques!

I quit using my old R1 curved switches years ago. I do need some double curve turnouts though and it is good to hear a positive review. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline Leitner  
#90 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:41:19(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
I was planning to check it first and then buy it but apparently it's getting harder and harder to find it... And it's not even in the stores yet.
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline dickinsonj  
#91 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:59:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
I was planning to check it first and then buy it but apparently it's getting harder and harder to find it... And it's not even in the stores yet.

If I am correct about the quality of this model it will sell out before the first one is even delivered to a customer.

I ordered mine within the first week and I hope that I did not wait too long! My dealer commented that it had caused a huge amount of interest in the MRR community and that it was selling out fast.
Regards,
Jim

Offline jvuye  
#92 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:11:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

I quit using my old R1 curved switches years ago. I do need some double curve turnouts though and it is good to hear a positive review. Cool

Yes, I know this discussion on switches is a bit off topic, but relevant since this loco( if I remember right) is the first one that comes with an R2 limitation, might as well mention it.
From my limited experience (all of one week...Wink ) some older rolling stock (with wider wheels) may cause shorts on one or two of the pukos .
(This happens also sometimes on other C-track switches)
Just a slight bending will solve the problem, like always!
I'd post a picture to explain if needed, but the switches are already mounted on the layout, and it's hard to take pictures in that spot!!Wink
Cheers
Jacques
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kiwiAlan  
#93 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:17:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Yes, I know this discussion on switches is a bit off topic, but relevant since this loco( if I remember right) is the first one that comes with an R2 limitation, might as well mention it.
From my limited experience (all of one week...Wink ) some older rolling stock (with wider wheels) may cause shorts on one or two of the pukos .
I'd post a picture to explain if needed, but the switches are already mounted on the layout, and it's hard to take pictures in that spot!!Wink
Cheers
Jacques

The other trick I have seen mentioned here is to put a (very) short piece of heat shrink sleeve on the appropriate puko that the wheel touches.
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#94 Posted : 08 November 2017 20:11:17(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
I've just ordered my 241a steam loco too. Like some others, I'm hoping Marklin makes new Orient Express coaches to go with it Love

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Offline Leitner  
#95 Posted : 08 November 2017 21:00:37(UTC)
Leitner

I went to one of my favourite shop and ordered it today. They told me it will take a while to get it because I arrived quite late.

Whatever, what does matter is getting it. :)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Jabez  
#96 Posted : 09 November 2017 00:48:42(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

If I am correct about the quality of this model it will sell out before the first one is even delivered to a customer.

I ordered mine within the first week and I hope that I did not wait too long! My dealer commented that it had caused a huge amount of interest in the MRR community and that it was selling out fast.

If that should happen, what I don't understand is this. If projections indicate that sales of a new product will outstrip its initial production run, why doesn't the mnfr expand that production run by any means possible to garner those potential extra sales first time round? It is not as if it was marketed as a 'limited' edition.
If people are breaking down the doors to buy your product, an arbitrary production cut off doesn't seem smart.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Leitner  
#97 Posted : 09 November 2017 01:00:14(UTC)
Leitner

Jabez, I don't believe it must not be easy to increase production of a product like this, in any case today my dealer told me that considering I arrived quite late I'll probably be able to get the item only in January/February but I really don't know if this is reliable or not...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline dickinsonj  
#98 Posted : 09 November 2017 03:42:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
If that should happen, what I don't understand is this. If projections indicate that sales of a new product will outstrip its initial production run, why doesn't the mnfr expand that production run by any means possible to garner those potential extra sales first time round? It is not as if it was marketed as a 'limited' edition. If people are breaking down the doors to buy your product, an arbitrary production cut off doesn't seem smart.

It seems that these days many Märklin locos are essentially limited editions, even if they are not marketed that way. I think that is one way they are countering the competition from the second hand market and making their products more collectable.

I resumed collecting Märklin products just as the 37015 sold out, which seemed to happen very quickly. I eventually decided that I really wanted one and I waited to see if they would make more, but they never did. They later sold it in two other liveries but the original green Bavarian version was what I had to have. After looking for a long time I bought a new one from a collector who buys special models and then sells them at an additional markup. It is a beautiful loco and I am very happy to have it, even after paying more for it than what I ordered the 241.A.65 for.

So I am guessing (since that is all we can really do at this point) that the same thing might happen with the 241.A.65. Märklin will produce their original production run and when they are sold out your options to buy a new one will be severely limited. When you do see a 37015 on ebay today it is often listed for $800 USD (~700€) or more. That is significantly more than it cost when it was new and a good bit more than what I paid. I did not want to see the same thing happen with this model so I ordered it quickly, which is exactly what I think Märklin wants us to do.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#99 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:34:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
If that should happen, what I don't understand is this. If projections indicate that sales of a new product will outstrip its initial production run, why doesn't the mnfr expand that production run by any means possible to garner those potential extra sales first time round? It is not as if it was marketed as a 'limited' edition. If people are breaking down the doors to buy your product, an arbitrary production cut off doesn't seem smart.

It seems that these days many Märklin locos are essentially limited editions, even if they are not marketed that way. I think that is one way they are countering the competition from the second hand market and making their products more collectable.

If there is spare manufacturing capacity then making more is probably not a problem. The problem will be that Marklin will have designated a manufacturing slot on the production line for a quantity ordered by dealers by a certain date. They may expand that by a certain percentage, say 1 or 2% to allow for late orders, but that will be it. Once those are made the production line is committed to manufacturing another item - it can't manufacture a given item for an indefinite time, that is just plain uneconomic.

If they don't limit the number of an item in this way then they risk having a quantity of unsold stock stacked up at the factory that represents capital tied up in stock that doesn't sell.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jvuye  
#100 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:35:13(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Jacques

The other trick I have seen mentioned here is to put a (very) short piece of heat shrink sleeve on the appropriate puko that the wheel touches.

Yes Alan that would be a solution. You'll need a fairly large diameter version since the offending pukos are the very large ones near the deviated track.