Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeffd  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2017 16:21:06(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
I am new to Marklin and recently acquired the 2 locomotives in the following pictures. I do not have boxes for them so am unable to find the model numbers. Can someone help me identify them and estimate their approximate value? Any help would be appreciated.

JD

[img]http://blob:null/b7f0d124-c610-4702-b5ae-4352161dda10[/img][img]http://blob:null/f03c8919-1cd5-488b-ab6b-ddd2f405d1a0[/img]

Merged both threads- No need for 2 threads on the same topic opened by the same forum member! /BDNZ

Edited by moderator 13 August 2017 12:00:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2017 18:16:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry, can't see your photos.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2017 18:58:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: jeffd Go to Quoted Post
I am new to Marklin and recently acquired the 2 locomotives in the following pictures. I do not have boxes for them so am unable to find the model numbers. Can someone help me identify them and estimate their approximate value? Any help would be appreciated.

JD

[img]http://blob:null/b7f0d124-c610-4702-b5ae-4352161dda10[/img][img]http://blob:null/f03c8919-1cd5-488b-ab6b-ddd2f405d1a0[/img]

JD

welcome to the marklin-users.net community.

Unfortunately your picture cannot be seen, only the address. Perhaps you may ask an Admin of this forum, how todo it. Or you read here:

https://www.marklin-user...lp_index?faq=attachments

I myself do not want to explain it, because I got my own problems with these uploads.

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline jeffd  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:28:33(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
I am new to Marklin and recently got these two locomotives without boxes. Can anyone help me identify them and provide an approximate value?
Thanks for looking. I hope the pictures showed up (2nd try)

IMG_3450 (2).JPGIMG_3444.JPG
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:44:10(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Marklin 3000
Marklin 3029

Value less than 50 Euro each

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2017 23:06:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Jeff,

These are two of the classic Marklin locos found in starter sets from the 1960s and 1970s. They are full of charm and last forever, but as they are found in virtually every collection they are unfortunately not worth a lot of money.

I hope you enjoy them for what they are, very well made toy trains.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Collector  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2017 02:53:43(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jeff,

These are two of the classic Marklin locos found in starter sets from the 1960s and 1970s. They are full of charm and last forever, but as they are found in virtually every collection they are unfortunately not worth a lot of money.

I hope you enjoy them for what they are, very well made toy trains.

Hi Ray,

I think I have 3 or 4 3029s and at least 1 of them doesn't move so they do fail at some point.

Maybe I should have a look to see if I can get them running again....
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2017 07:38:21(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I have the Danish version of the 3029,pretty rare i think.

http://www.ho3067.dk/3029am.jpg

Keep them,most of us started our addiction to Marklin with one of these.
I got a small starter set with the 3029 somewhere around 1965 as a Christmas present,and i was hooked instantly!
Do recall me running the train on the carpet of the livingroom,near the hot coalfired stove in wintertime,i must have been the happiest boy in the world!

The 1963 catalogue:

http://www.marklincafe.c...klin%201963%2064%20E.pdf

And,of course,the Santa Fe F7 is also in my collection,in my humble opinion it still stands the test of time,after more that 50 years!

Cheers,
Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline ktsolias  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2017 10:09:27(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
As I notice with a better look at the pictures, both locos need good service.
Traction tires on 3029 are missing and on 3000 badly worn.

I think that the same will be happen with the motor parts the lubrication etc..

Costas
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2017 15:23:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
As I notice with a better look at the pictures, both locos need good service.
Traction tires on 3029 are missing and on 3000 badly worn.

I think that the same will be happen with the motor parts the lubrication etc..

Costas

I think the pickup shoe on the 3029 is also slightly skewed, but it may just be the camera angle.

Offline waltklatt  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2017 16:01:02(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Jeff,
Think the 3029 with the red base is an older version with the hard clear rubber traction tires.
In any case, replace all the rubber tires for better traction in pulling the cars.
The 3029 has two tabs on the sides that hold the body down, use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry open.
For the 3000, there is a screw holding the body to the chassis on the center boiler.
Then you can lube and check the motors and reversing gears.

Both of these are a must in every Marklin collection.

Walter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 08 August 2017 17:37:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Jeff, looking at the pictures you've provided both loco seem to be in good shape, one can tell with the cog wheels, nobody had over oiled the loco and this would also reflect to the brushes and the armature but a maintenance on these locos doesn't hurt and it is recommended, so far rubber tyres are concerned, the 3029 has transparent rubber tyres and the lasted a lot longer than the rubber tyres (3000).

and yes the pickup shoe from the 3029 can be moved a bit sideways with a screwdriver so both ends are level with the frame or it is just twisted on one end by inspecting properly you will find whats what.

as Tom said , these locos especially the 3000 was a household item every boy had or got for Christmas and of course it was a dream for all of us especially after the war, there wasn't much money around and parents couldn't afford it, getting a present like this in those days was hitting the jackpot and many sleepless nights getting up through the night and playing with it.

having catalogues to look at, I think this is where the addiction started and you've looked at it for hours going from page to page figuring out which loco you are going to have next, carriages, turnouts and you more or less fell asleep with your catalogue in your hands.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Tex  
#13 Posted : 08 August 2017 19:54:06(UTC)
Tex

United States   

Jeff, I have owned a 3000 engine for 28 years. It was part of a digital starter set and I decided years ago that it was too crude to upgrade and that I would run it in it's original condition till it stopped . It still runs today but is rarely used except to test track. I keep it clean and only use a small amount of oil on the gears and motor every few years or so. I agree with what has been said by Tom and John and recommend you keep it as you will get very little selling it. Tex
Offline 1borna  
#14 Posted : 08 August 2017 21:42:37(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Through my hands, in mid-century gameplay has passed hundreds of such locomotives, something owned and most for repair
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
This is not surprising since these locomotives worked in millions of copies, but the model 3000 (Br 89) is the best-selling model in the world!
Occasionally they find me more and then to the parts of the worst of a better-preserved specimen
Most often for violent pushing locomotives go to dental flask or waste a wheel, and the children seem to like the chimney in particular
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline 1borna  
#15 Posted : 08 August 2017 21:53:33(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Such locomotives can be obtained for a couple of dollars / euros but are usually in poor condition. For a little more money can be preserved as new!
UserPostedImage
With the new generation of models (dawn) I was a bit disappointed, for the sake of saving the daggers between axles
UserPostedImage
This is the latest version of the nearly Br 80 model that has the same chassis on a variety of body models
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#16 Posted : 08 August 2017 22:22:23(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi , Jeffd.

Your 3029 tender loco has the hooter still intact on the top front of the cabin. !!!! That is a BONUS. Most of the locos depicted on this thread has it broken off.
Actually all over the world, very few has the hooter still intact on its roof.

Why not try to procure a box for it and care for it even better than it was to date.
I also have one with an expensive imported box and to me this 50 year old loco it is worth a "Fortune"

Take note of all of the comments of this tread and ..... ENJOY. !!!!

HANNES PORSCHE

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hannes Porsche
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 09 August 2017 03:36:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
her is my version of the 3029, digital with lights front & rear

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#18 Posted : 10 August 2017 23:54:44(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi river, so nice. Just see what positive things can be done to an "ancient" loco.

The head lights for this loco does not leave much space for LEDs. Your modifications seems very well implemented.

Can you give a brief description of how you engineered the LED fixing and what types you used.? I like the cool white color and brightness.

Some close detailed photos will also enlighten things.

I may buy another loco (3029) for this purpose and follow suite.

My present loco is in pristine condition and I will keep it standard and original.

Thank You,

HANNES PORSCHE

Offline dickinsonj  
#19 Posted : 11 August 2017 01:20:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
... as Tom said , these locos especially the 3000 was a household item every boy had or got for Christmas and of course it was a dream for all of us especially after the war, there wasn't much money around and parents couldn't afford it, getting a present like this in those days was hitting the jackpot and many sleepless nights getting up through the night and playing with it.

having catalogues to look at, I think this is where the addiction started and you've looked at it for hours going from page to page figuring out which loco you are going to have next, carriages, turnouts and you more or less fell asleep with your catalogue in your hands.

John

Wow John- way to bring back some wonderful memories from my youth as well! Getting an electric train for Christmas was the best and I had my share of sleepless nights when I was boy. Then came the catalogues and the planning and the dreaming. Ahh, those were indeed the days, even though most of those dream locos of mine remained just a dream. BigGrin

These locos are common, durable and can be kept running indefinitely with some maintenance, but they do not have a lot of monetary value. I upgraded the decoder but kept the old 3-pole motor in my 3000 many years ago, and it actually ran pretty well. I have the 5-pole motor kit in hand and I am still deciding whether to buy it a new decoder or give it one of the leftover kit decoders I have laying about. With those upgrades I expect that it will run very well and only be limited by the traction it has available.

If it was still unmodified I might be tempted to leave it alone, as it is such a classic. But mine was changed at the very start of digital from Märklin and is no longer a virgin. BigGrin No matter what, it was my very first Märklin loco, and I will never, ever sell it. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 11 August 2017 12:12:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
... as Tom said , these locos especially the 3000 was a household item every boy had or got for Christmas and of course it was a dream for all of us especially after the war, there wasn't much money around and parents couldn't afford it, getting a present like this in those days was hitting the jackpot and many sleepless nights getting up through the night and playing with it.

John

Wow John- way to bring back some wonderful memories from my youth as well! Getting an electric train for Christmas was the best and I had my share of sleepless nights when I was boy. Then came the catalogues and the planning and the dreaming. Ahh, those were indeed the days, even though most of those dream locos of mine remained just a dream. BigGrin

These locos are common, durable and can be kept running indefinitely with some maintenance, but they do not have a lot of monetary value. I upgraded the decoder but kept the old 3-pole motor in my 3000 many years ago, and it actually ran pretty well. I have the 5-pole motor kit in hand and I am still deciding whether to buy it a new decoder or give it one of the leftover kit decoders I have laying about. With those upgrades I expect that it will run very well and only be limited by the traction it has available.

If it was still unmodified I might be tempted to leave it alone, as it is such a classic. But mine was changed at the very start of digital from Märklin and is no longer a virgin. BigGrin No matter what, it was my very first Märklin loco, and I will never, ever sell it. Cool

Hi Jim,

I have two of these Br89 locos from my early childhood, a CM800 and a 3000. One has two individual lights and the other has one light bulb feeding three headlights. I converted my 3000 a few years ago with a leftover Delta decoder so that I can run it under digital control, but my CM800 has remained analogue for nostalgic reasons.

Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#21 Posted : 12 August 2017 07:31:06(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Jeff, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a layout or are these the only Marklin locos you have?

Personally, I think that if you do not have a history with these two locos, as most of us do, perhaps you may just leave them alone.

I say this because if you are planning on getting into Marklin, then you will get digital locos while these two are analogue. This entails the additional expense of a modern white transformer to run them (NEVER use a blue transformer - it may catch fire).

So, if ypou do not have already a Marklin layout, before you invest time and money to run these two locos, think ahead as to what you are planning on doing with Marklin trains.

Finally, you can get a digital version of the 3000 in a nice starter set or individually as the "30000". The one in the starter set has a better decoder, however.

See the link below to some of the starter sets that are available in Toronto - in Cad dollars). They are ALL digital.

Starter sets in Toronto

In the US, there is one store, Walthers, that sells Marklin, but unless you buy an item on sale, the prices are outrageous.

Walther's - Marklin

Please let us know what you decide.

BigGrin
Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2017 15:07:14(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

In the US, there is one store, Walthers, that sells Marklin, but unless you buy an item on sale, the prices are outrageous.

There are lots of US stores that sell Märklin products and I bet that AJCKids would argue that Walthers is not the only choice.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline baggio  
#23 Posted : 12 August 2017 15:28:15(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
There are lots of US stores that sell Märklin products and I bet that AJCKids would argue that Walthers is not the only choice.

I did not suggest Walthers is the "only" place; but it is the most widely available place.

ALL US stores carry Walthers products - as a result, even the stores that do not carry Marklin, can easily and quickly get you a Marklin item - including the ones on sale - you simply give them the required info.

I have done it occasionally with a local two rail store without a hitch.

At risk of stating the obvious, this means that one need not be too worried about where to get Marklin products in the US, provided there are 2 rail model train stores to go to.

Hope this clarifies the point.
Offline dickinsonj  
#24 Posted : 13 August 2017 01:03:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Hope this clarifies the point.

Yes - Sorry that I misread your post.

You were just pointing out a store where you can get almost anything MRR related and who have been Märklin's main retail outlet in North America for years. Through them anyone with access to a MRR shop can buy Märklin products.

Walther's is unique and sell an amazing variety of stuff but I never buy Märklin from them because they are too expensive. I do buy from several North American online dealers which saves me a lot on shipping costs.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 13 August 2017 01:54:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I myself do not want to explain it, because I got my own problems with these uploads.

Regards

TEEWolf

Place your cursor where you want the image inserted in your post and just click the paperclip icon at the top.

Select "Upload New File(s)" and follow the instructions provided. When you have found the image file(s) that you want to insert in your post just click "Start Uploads". Your images will not only be shown in that post but they will be available to use again in later posts without the upload step.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline baggio  
#26 Posted : 13 August 2017 07:36:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Walther's is unique and sell an amazing variety of stuff but I never buy Märklin from them because they are too expensive. I do buy from several North American online dealers which saves me a lot on shipping costs.

The customers in the US and Canada who buy from train stores products from Walthers do NOT pay any shipping costs.

So, if you have a train store that normally sells only 2 rail stuff in your town, ask them to get you a Marklin product from Walthers. The store will gladly do so without a mark up or shipping charges, including those items on sale, and you should get what you order within one week or so.

Obviously, you would do that for those items that are on sale or otherwise you feel you must have now without waiting for a sale. Otherwise, you buy elsewhere.

(No, I do not work for Walthers LOL )
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 13 August 2017 07:58:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Remember, Jeff, first of all you must have the photos in your computer.

Clicking the "upload new files" wide button brings you to a screen that has two smaller buttons. The first button says "Add Files" and really means: "find the pictures in your computer that you want to post".

You then click on that button, which brings you inside your computer and you pick the pictures you want, one at a time.

The pictures then are ready to be "uploaded" onto the the forum by clicking on the second small button that says "Start Upload(s).

When this is done, you will be able to see the pictures in the discussion you were dealing with.

On another discussion, the same pictures are available to be uploaded again onto the forum in the new discussion without having to re-find them in your computer. You will be able to see them in the first page - where it says "Upload new file(s)".

Hope this helps.

Silvano
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 13 August 2017 11:45:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Value less than 50 Euro each

I think that is far too much! More like 20 euro. Marklin made more than 5 million of the 3000, so they are not exactly rare.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#29 Posted : 13 August 2017 11:50:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
(NEVER use a blue transformer - it may catch fire).

Never use a blue metal case transformer that hasn't been checked by a qualified electrician or has not been completely rewired by a qualified electrician. The old wiring in them can break down and pose an electrocution hazard.

Provided they are verified as safe to use, it is OK to use them, but you may prefer to use a more modern white transformer.
Offline jeffd  
#30 Posted : 13 August 2017 16:03:51(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Never use a blue metal case transformer that hasn't been checked by a qualified electrician or has not been completely rewired by a qualified electrician. The old wiring in them can break down and pose an electrocution hazard.

Provided they are verified as safe to use, it is OK to use them, but you may prefer to use a more modern white transformer.

Thanks Bigdaddynz for the info on a blue transformer, that is exactly what I have. I currently have a small layout with all older locos (from early 60s to 90s) and would appreciate what white transformer you recommend for my needs since I am so new. My family also has a large Marklin layout built between the same time period which I will be posting pictures of later today (in the pictures of layout section) and am looking for some further advice on it as well.

Thanks to everyone for their postings,

Jeffd
Offline jeffd  
#31 Posted : 13 August 2017 16:06:40(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
Remember, Jeff, first of all you must have the photos in your computer.

Clicking the "upload new files" wide button brings you to a screen that has two smaller buttons. The first button says "Add Files" and really means: "find the pictures in your computer that you want to post".

You then click on that button, which brings you inside your computer and you pick the pictures you want, one at a time.

The pictures then are ready to be "uploaded" onto the the forum by clicking on the second small button that says "Start Upload(s).

When this is done, you will be able to see the pictures in the discussion you were dealing with.

On another discussion, the same pictures are available to be uploaded again onto the forum in the new discussion without having to re-find them in your computer. You will be able to see them in the first page - where it says "Upload new file(s)".

Hope this helps.

Silvano

That helps a lot, Silvano, thanks!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeffd
Offline jeffd  
#32 Posted : 13 August 2017 16:11:25(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Thanks to you Baggio for the blue transformer info as well...I am just getting caught up, from the bottom up

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeffd
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#33 Posted : 13 August 2017 23:23:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The comments regarding transformers that pose an electrocution threat relates mainly to the older 280A transformer produced in the 1950's/60's, on which the rubber insulation on the mains wiring could break down over time leaving exposed mains wiring. The topic has been extensively discussed in the following thread and other threads that this thread links to

https://www.marklin-user...huge-230-Volt-shock.aspx

The transformers you have on your layout were made in the 1970's, and have much better wiring which is less prone to breaking down. Still, it never hurts to be careful where mains wiring is concerned, so having them checked by an electrician can never hurt.

The current white transformer listed in the catalog is the 66471, but this is a transformer intended for use with 230 volts. There is no equivalent 120v version. However, there is an earlier 6647 transformer (230v) which had a 120v version - 6646, which you might find available on ebay. The white transformers have better wiring, and have protection against back-transformering - i.e. this is where two transformers have their yellow and brown connections wired together (usually accidentally) resulting in one of the transformers acting as a step up transformer with mains voltage appearing on the mains plug.
Offline jeffd  
#34 Posted : 14 August 2017 02:20:28(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
I am running a small layout on a Marklin 30 VA transformer. Any history on the track record of this model?
Offline baggio  
#35 Posted : 14 August 2017 02:29:42(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jeffd Go to Quoted Post
I am running a small layout on a Marklin 30 VA transformer. Any history on the track record of this model?

I do not have any history on this transformer, BUT keep in mind that even if this transformer is not dangerous, it does have another flaw:
-- if you use a digital loco and reverse it, the current spike required to reverse may cause the decoder to fry - meaning you have to buy another decoder or the loco will no longer work (usually).

As a result, if you do plan to run any digital locos in analogue mode (which is perfectly fine in itself), then you should get a white transformer that takes care of this problem.

(No, I do not sell white transformers! LOL )