Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2016 19:51:08(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I received my Marklin 39621 "Great Northern" EMD F7 Double Cab (A-A) set yesterday, so it's time for a review!

Prototype:
Great Northern had 65 F7 A units (2 were converted from EMD demonstrators) and 49 F7 B units, making these fairly prolific motive power for the railroad (although not one of the few railroads with hundreds of these units as ATSF, B&O, NYC and SP). Units were numbered 2xx A/B, 3xx A/B, 4xx A/B.

Marklin's model is 309-A and 309-C. These units are listed at 241,000 lbs each, built October, 1950. These units were not by any means photo shy.

309-C in Saint Paul, MN, 7/15/1967:
UserPostedImage
And in Naperville, Il 4/20/1963:
UserPostedImage

309-A in Minneapolis, MN, 1967:
UserPostedImage
And again in 6/6/1968:
UserPostedImage

Regarding liveries, from the late 40s through the early 70s (prior to Burlington Northern), GN had at least four distict liveries on cab units. The livery choose by Marklin and represented in the previous photos is the 2nd chronologically (and best looking IMHO), used from the early 50s through the late 60s. Here is 309-C in Minot, North Dakota July 2nd, 1969 with the final GN livery prior to BN.

UserPostedImage

The GN F7 units were freight units had a single headlight as far as I can tell. Some passenger units had the MARs light.

Like most US railroads, GN ran large motive sets. However, it is possible to find some A-A units for inspiration:

Location/date unknown:
UserPostedImage
Tacoma, WA , July 1957 (note the plow fitted):
UserPostedImage
Minneapolis, Minnesota, Summer 1956:
UserPostedImage

As far as I can tell, in the 300s, units 350-365 were used for passenger service, meaning 309A and 309C were destined to a life of hauling freight. However, it wouldn't be too much a stretch of the imagination...

And finally, regarding geography, GN, much like my beloved D&RGW, passed through the rockies in the wild west:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 05 August 2016 02:40:00(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling and duplicate photo

thanks 17 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2016 20:16:11(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Detailing, Construction and Paint:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

These units would be what I consider to be Marklin's fourth generation F7 tooling, the same tooling used for the 26496 ATSF Super Chief and 39620 Soo Line sets. Some details include:

-Improved nose/window shape
-Marker lights and detailed running numbers
-Cab interior details
-Grab irons on nose and cab
-All metal construction as with previous Marklin F7 units

They feel about the same as any other Marklin F unit. They are attached with a permanent drawbar that allows for a very small gap between units.

As far as the paint is concerned, it is perhaps some of the best quality paint I have ever seen on a Marklin model. The crispness is outstanding, these units exceed those of any previous generation of Marklin F7 (although are probably the same as the Super Chief and Soo Line units which I have not seen in person). Marklin have done an excellent job with the quality of paint and detail on these units. Even the fine Great Northern seal is easily legible:

UserPostedImage

Regarding the livery, Marlkin has done a pretty good job. Freight units such as these had black trucks instead of silver trucks, as is captured. The only obvious difference between a prototype and the model is the silver side louvers/vents. As far as I can tell, these were almost always the same green as used otherwise on the body. However, most colour photos are from the 60s, and as a result it could be possible there was an earlier phase of this livery that was silver.

Unit 423, which has been restored sometime within the past 15 years, does sport some silver vents:
UserPostedImage
It also looks like these untis with the simplified green/orange scheme have silver vents, but hard to tell for sure:
UserPostedImage
As well as this unit with the simplified scheme:
UserPostedImage

Included in the box (but not pictured) are coupler pockets for NEM couplers and snow plows.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2016 20:51:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Oh boy this is tempting, despite my having sold off the US prototype equipment...

Is it one motor or two motor?
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2016 20:55:43(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Operation, Sound and Digital Functions:

The locomotive is equipped with a mfx+ sound decoder, allowing for cab operation with CS2/3. There is no locomotive icon, I added one myself.

UserPostedImage

Digital functions:
-Headlight
-Number board/marker lights
-Diesel running sounds
-Horn
-ABV off
-Squealing brakes off
-Cab Radio
-Coupler sounds
-Letting of air
-Rain joint sounds
-Switching range

Cab control works fine, but I do not use it. I set the locomotive to "standard" operation mode. If you forget and run out of fuel, just reset the decoder from CS2/3 and then change the mode.

UserPostedImage

Sound:

As with the 37935 ATSF Mikado, the sound in the latest generation decoders is outstanding. The sound was quiet loud, I had to turn it down a bit to match my tastes. Crisp, clear and detailed. The sound is improved from mfx equipped 3rd generation Marklin F7s like B&O 37618 and UP 37629. I think the sounds may all be new recordings, but there is no way to know. The cab radio recording is new from that previously used by Marklin. I wish that Marklin had included one or two more cab radio sequences.

UserPostedImage

Lighting:
The LED lighting is an improvement from previous generations. The quality and brightness are good. This is the one area in which I think this model could be improved, inclusion of cab lighting as with the 39620 Soo Line F7s, and also with dual headlight bulbs as with the prototype.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Running quality and power:

Both units are powered with DCM motors. Each unit has two powered axles (rear truck) and two traction tires, for combined total of four powered axles and four traction tires. The DCM motors are fairly quiet compared to other DCM motors I own, but they are still noticeable, increasing as expected at higher speeds. As this is a diesel locomotive, the sound does not detract very much. There is a single slider which makes no noticeable noise. The unit is equipped with metal Marklin F7 style couplers the same as those used all the way back to ATSF 3060/4060 on both units. Typically these couplers are very reliable and do not let go

Running otherwise is smooth and perfect, no derailments, wobble, etc. The pulling power is very good due to the weight of the units and the double motor configuration. My quick test reveals no problem pulling 12 four axle 50 foot tin plate cars up and down 2% grades, as well as around R1 curves. I will likely add more load in the future, and will try to remember to include the results. I expect it should be able to pull as much as the other double motor Marklin A-B-B and A-B-A sets issued in the last 20 years.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2016 21:01:43(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Packaging:

This comes in a gray Marklin digital photo box. It is not a sleeve style box. There lid lifts off, and thre are two tabs to retain it. Once cardboard lid is removed, an additional stryofoam lid must be removed from the styrofoam casting to reveal the locomotive. The locomotive is surrounded an four sides by white felt (a strip on each side and a piece at the end of each nose), as well as a plastic sheet wrapped around each locomotive. In terms of packaging, this should allow for the relatively heavy units to be shipped without damage. My copy arrived 100% intact.

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2016 21:06:54(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Conclusion (or quick review):

This is an excellent F7 model from Marklin. It has superb masterclass quality paint, sound and pulling power. Digital control is smooth and operation is reliable. I love this livery, and would absolutely recommend these units. I got these despite my general restriction to only purchase motive power for railroads found in Colorado and Utah: ATSF, D&RGW and UP.

Minor suggested improvements: cab lighting, improved headlight design for the 4th generation tooling (2 internal bulbs like the prototype), and additional radio chatter. The sound is so good I want more! However, none of this would keep me from purchasing this unit.

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2016 21:09:34(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Oh boy this is tempting, despite my having sold off the US prototype equipment...

Is it one motor or two motor?

I bought this, despite no Colorado connection :) It has two motors, one per unit.

-Brandon
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2016 22:10:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good review.ThumpUp

What weight is the 39621?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline BrandonVA  
#9 Posted : 05 August 2016 02:43:54(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Steven,

As weighed by me, 39621 is 874g.

In comparison, an analog D&RGW 3062+4062 unit weighed 772g. Two MTH 3e+ F3 units (A+B) weighed 1000g.

-Brandon
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 05 August 2016 05:37:57(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Updated pulling power test, up and down 2% grades, and done at low speeds (FS 2 through 24):

-16 US 50 foot tin plate 4 axle boxcars
-8 US tin plate 4 axle tankers
-3 US plastic 4 axle gondolas
-2 US plastic 4 axle flatbeds
-1 US tin plate 4 axle caboose caboose (courtesy of ATSF)

Total cars: 30
Total axles: 120

Passed with flying colours. This is the utter limit test for me, running trains this long is not a regular business. CS2 reporting 0.175-0.2 amps consumed under this load for 39621 w/headlight, running boards and operating sounds. I did, however, forgot to take the idle 37622 ATSF F7 A-B off the layout.

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline foumaro  
#11 Posted : 05 August 2016 14:33:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
BigGrin Drool Love LOL ThumpUp Wub
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 05 August 2016 14:59:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Steven,

As weighed by me, 39621 is 874g.

In comparison, an analog D&RGW 3062+4062 unit weighed 772g. Two MTH 3e+ F3 units (A+B) weighed 1000g.

-Brandon

Thanks for the reply.Wink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2016 03:14:49(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Excellent and exhaustive review. Do you intend to determine the weight of the 120 axle freight train, too?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline foumaro  
#14 Posted : 06 August 2016 06:28:39(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am waiting mine with more impatience now.Brandon always give us such perfect and detailed reviews.ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline foumaro  
#15 Posted : 06 August 2016 10:16:23(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I think that it will be very interesting if marklin had decide to give this pair with both liveries,one unit with the orange and green and the other with blue white.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#16 Posted : 06 August 2016 11:27:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Conclusion (or quick review):

This is an excellent F7 model from Marklin. It has superb masterclass quality paint, sound and pulling power. Digital control is smooth and operation is reliable. I love this livery, and would absolutely recommend these units. I got these despite my general restriction to only purchase motive power for railroads found in Colorado and Utah: ATSF, D&RGW and UP.

Minor suggested improvements: cab lighting, improved headlight design for the 4th generation tooling (2 internal bulbs like the prototype), and additional radio chatter. The sound is so good I want more! However, none of this would keep me from purchasing this unit.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon, comprehensive, useful review. Beautiful set.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline BrandonVA  
#17 Posted : 06 August 2016 14:41:13(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Excellent and exhaustive review. Do you intend to determine the weight of the 120 axle freight train, too?

-16 US 50 foot tin plate 4 axle boxcars (12 units @ 126g each, 4 units @ 116g each)* - 1976g
-8 US tin plate 4 axle tankers (8 units @ 116g each) - 928g
-3 US plastic 4 axle gondolas (3 units @ 80g each) - 240g
-2 US plastic 4 axle flatbeds (2 units, unloaded @ 77g, loaded @ 117g)** - 194g
-1 US tin plate 4 axle caboose (1 unit @ 82g) - 82g

Grand total: 3420g (3.42 kg)

*US boxcars produced in the 1990s weigh 116g, those produced in the past 10 years weigh 126g.
**Load is Marklin (Wiking) tractor trailer truck and wheel chocks included w/flatbed

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline BrandonVA  
#18 Posted : 06 August 2016 14:43:29(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I think that it will be very interesting if marklin had decide to give this pair with both liveries,one unit with the orange and green and the other with blue white.

If Marklin were to creep over in to era IV US motive power, there are almost endless rainbow era combinations as railroads consolidated and combined operations. I wonder if such units would be popular?

If nothing else you could mix the stock :)

UserPostedImage

-Brandon

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#19 Posted : 06 August 2016 18:24:01(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Already posted in another topic, but...

f7 GN

more large pics at the bottom of the page here:
http://www.marklinfan.net/emd_f7.htm
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline Tex  
#20 Posted : 03 September 2016 06:14:29(UTC)
Tex

United States   
It is an excellent model based on the comments in this post, however, I was attracted by the photographs and the Great Northern system map. My grandfather, Charles Setterlund, was recruited in Sweden before the turn of the century to work for the then new Great Northern railroad. He worked out of Grand Forks, North Dakota where I was born and rose to become an engineer on the Empire Builder in the steam era , where he met his death in a grade crossing accident in 1944. The change to diesels was very rapid in the early 1950's. I recall the engines being orange with a dark green trim which in the Marklin models looks almost black.

Tex aka Richard Setterlund

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tex
Offline Janne75  
#21 Posted : 03 September 2016 09:12:40(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the excellent review ThumpUp . I don't have any US Märklin locos or rolling stock, but if I ever buy one it will be this one. It has beautiful looking livery and seems to be a great loco too. Love

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline foumaro  
#22 Posted : 03 September 2016 16:26:19(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the excellent review ThumpUp . I don't have any US Märklin locos or rolling stock, but if I ever buy one it will be this one. It has beautiful looking livery and seems to be a great loco too. Love

Cheers,
Janne

One is enough to fall in love believe me.Love Wub
Offline foumaro  
#23 Posted : 03 September 2016 16:28:42(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I got my 39621,I am fully agreed with Brandon,she is just perfect like all previous F7 marklin models.Love LOL ThumpUp Wub
Offline Hackcell  
#24 Posted : 05 September 2016 01:56:41(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Great review, thanks for sharing.

Sounds ilke I've just picked my next M purchase. Nevertheless, I'd pimp it with 2 ESU decoders and 2 extra lights on each unit (gyra light at the nose and cab light).

Also, a railmaster hobbies speaker installed on each unit using the massive speaker cone used on models like the 37629 would make it sound awesome.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline stevep  
#25 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:00:34(UTC)
stevep

United States   
My 39621 arrived, looks great but right out of the box, I am getting lots of wheel slippage even when pulling no cars. Wheels spinning and loco not moving right away. If I give it a gentle push with my finger it gets going and seems to run ok. I don't think its my track because my V160 37741 runs over the same track while pulling several cars just fine. I looked at the slider, it seems ok. I am still pretty much of a rookie when it comes to these issues. Any suggestions? Thanks Steve
Offline foumaro  
#26 Posted : 13 September 2016 08:50:46(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Check if the two motors begin working together.i am afraid they are not.If the worker that fits the motors tide the screws of the cover of the motor very much the rotor is not working well.The better is to see the loomotive your dealer.
Offline stevep  
#27 Posted : 15 September 2016 03:06:23(UTC)
stevep

United States   
Thanks for your reply. My dealer's repair guy says the brushes could need to be adjusted. Wonder if I could that myself and avoid sending the loco in for repair?
Offline foumaro  
#28 Posted : 15 September 2016 09:01:28(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
It is a possible problem,if someone put a lot of oil to the motor. Changing motor brushes is too easy for an experienced,maybe difficult for a rookie.It is your decision.If the dealer is close to you ask him to do it for you and watch the way he is doing that.
Offline BrandonVA  
#29 Posted : 30 September 2016 23:17:58(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post
It is an excellent model based on the comments in this post, however, I was attracted by the photographs and the Great Northern system map. My grandfather, Charles Setterlund, was recruited in Sweden before the turn of the century to work for the then new Great Northern railroad. He worked out of Grand Forks, North Dakota where I was born and rose to become an engineer on the Empire Builder in the steam era , where he met his death in a grade crossing accident in 1944. The change to diesels was very rapid in the early 1950's. I recall the engines being orange with a dark green trim which in the Marklin models looks almost black.

Tex aka Richard Setterlund

Richard,

Thanks for the interesting family story, sorry of course to hear of the outcome.

As far as the colour, while it looks black due to some underexposure in my photos, it's pretty green. I'll see if I can take another photo later with better lighting and exposure.

-Brandon
Offline BrandonVA  
#30 Posted : 30 September 2016 23:24:56(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: stevep Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your reply. My dealer's repair guy says the brushes could need to be adjusted. Wonder if I could that myself and avoid sending the loco in for repair?

It is not too hard too do. Whether you attempt it is up to your comfort level. Perhaps even a US dealer would take a look to save it the trip back to Germany.

I have many Marklin duel motor models, and occasionally thought purchased (although mostly used) have issues with this. With used models I will break down the whole motor and clean it, but with a new one check the brush seating and alignment (they are flat), and also maybe check to see if the motor shield is too tight (or loose). A small drop of oil on the motor bearings may help if they appear to be completely dry, but careful not to over oil.

Most importantly, with the F units, be careful not to bump the shells together where the units meet when lifting them off. It would be a shame to ruin the paint.

-Brandon
Offline foumaro  
#31 Posted : 01 October 2016 05:18:51(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have bad news for mine 39621 too.The first time i run the loco after one minute maybe less the loco stopped.I gave the loco to my dealer,he changed the decoder and the result was again the same,after one round game over.The locomotive went back to marklin.At least unacceptαble situation.I will let you know about the sollution of my problem.
Offline grnwtrs  
#32 Posted : 11 October 2016 00:42:19(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I have bad news for mine 39621 too.The first time i run the loco after one minute maybe less the loco stopped.I gave the loco to my dealer,he changed the decoder and the result was again the same,after one round game over.The locomotive went back to marklin.At least unacceptαble situation.I will let you know about the sollution of my problem.

Hi there:

So sorry to hear about your F-7 (39621). That should, as all of us know, have never happened. Very Very disappointing for the Marklin F-7 fans.

I got so worried that I decided to pull mine out and give it a whirl. Lucky for me, all went well. Or at least lok seems to do what it should on the "test stand"
I ran the engine received on June 15, 2016 for about 20 minutes in each direction, and touching the different sounds at different intervals. Fortunately in my case all seems well.

I feel bad for the rest of the owners who had to suffer the defects. I know the feeling, but it has been a while since I have had to have factory service.

OOps that was last year, with my E-41, (39415) which took about 3 months. I believe it was reported to have had a "bad board"

Good luck, and here is hoping your F-7 comes back better than the best.

Regards, gene
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline foumaro  
#33 Posted : 11 October 2016 09:14:58(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I hope my problem will find a sollution but anyway i will think twice for now on to buy a new marklin loco again.I asked for a new locomotive,i will wait and see what they will send me back.I do not ordered the challenger for that reason.
Offline grnwtrs  
#34 Posted : 11 October 2016 23:13:09(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I hope my problem will find a sollution but anyway i will think twice for now on to buy a new marklin loco again.I asked for a new locomotive,i will wait and see what they will send me back.I do not ordered the challenger for that reason.

So really sorry that you are down on Marklin. Yes, that was a very bad failure, but I am wondering if there was something in the assembly process that
blew the second decoder. I know that is not a good excuse, but stuff happens, to all of us.

I finally tried to run my "repaired E-41, and all went well. The factory did not completely replace the plastic cover that rests over the
plastic lok cradle. But no loss, that part makes it hard to get the lok out to run. Now to run the silver fish!!

Anyway, I have about 3-4 new loks to test run that I haven't had time to set up the past 4 months of so.

I feel that Marklin will do good by you, and you will be so happy to have a new heavy and healthy F-7 in the Great Northern colors.

Best Regards,
gene

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline foumaro  
#35 Posted : 12 October 2016 08:53:19(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am sure that they will give the better sollution.Thank you for your interest Gene,regards,Panayotis.BigGrin
Offline klarinettmeister  
#36 Posted : 12 October 2016 09:19:36(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
My unit was ok but I had big problems with my other F7-unit; 37618. The loco didn´t register at first and I opened the cases. There I found the decoder... loose! After installing it I put the F7 back on the track and turned on the power. Of course you could hear the well-known sound of a short-curcuit.... The cables were checked and I hade to send back my unit. Do I have my F7? Nope... this was in May!

I have gotten an hint from Märklin that the repairs are done though. And as a side-note I had problems with my transfer table 72491 which I ordered at the same time. I have received that unit and to my surprise it works and now stops where itś supposed to.

Anyway I think the 39621 is a wonderfultrain. I haven´t had the time to test the pulling power though.
Offline foumaro  
#37 Posted : 05 November 2016 21:48:33(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Thanks to my dealer and marklin i have a new F7 Great Northern in perfect working condition.LOL Love ThumpUp
Offline grnwtrs  
#38 Posted : 06 November 2016 01:10:31(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Thanks to my dealer and marklin i have a new F7 Great Northern in perfect working condition.LOL Love ThumpUp

Great news!! BigGrin BigGrin

Wait, have you given her a good run?

How do/did you like the sounds. I love mine, but I am a sucker for the forlorn diesel sound.

Best regards, gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline foumaro  
#39 Posted : 06 November 2016 04:32:08(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post

Great news!! BigGrin BigGrin

Wait, have you given her a good run?

How do/did you like the sounds. I love mine, but I am a sucker for the forlorn diesel sound.

Best regards, gene

I ran her enough,i think she is OK,it is very difficult to have bad luck again.The sounds are very nice but i have to say that i listened the most perfect sounds ever from an MTH ES44 General Electric that a friend bought.Simply amazing.Anyway i am huppy that i have my F7 running perfect now.ThumpUp
Offline BrandonVA  
#40 Posted : 22 December 2016 22:35:21(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Foumaro,

Are you operating it with a CS2 or CS3? Mine stopped after some driving, then I realized I had to set the "Play mode" to standard as the locomotive has mfx+ and thought it had ran out of fuel as I was not minding the cab operation. Maybe a different problem for you, but I thought it may help to note it here.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline foumaro  
#41 Posted : 23 December 2016 04:45:52(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Foumaro,

Are you operating it with a CS2 or CS3? Mine stopped after some driving, then I realized I had to set the "Play mode" to standard as the locomotive has mfx+ and thought it had ran out of fuel as I was not minding the cab operation. Maybe a different problem for you, but I thought it may help to note it here.

-Brandon

Finally was more than a faulty decoder.Marklin gave me another one she is running like a dream.The best sollution from marklin and my dealer.LOL ThumpUp
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#42 Posted : 23 December 2016 18:52:21(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Great review and splendid pictures of both model and actual locomotives ! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Thanks Brandon.

Pierre.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PierreGILLARD
Offline mnosal  
#43 Posted : 21 February 2018 03:23:12(UTC)
mnosal

From the Marklin booth at the Amherst Railway Society show in West Springfield, MA Jan 26, 2018:

UserPostedImage
Marklin 39621 F7

Really a standout locomotive and livery.

Cheers.
Z-scale, DRG steam from Era 2. See: zscale.tumblr.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mnosal
Offline BrandonVA  
#44 Posted : 06 December 2018 16:12:22(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
If proof is needed to run this A-A configuration along with Marklin friendly rainbow boxcars:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Marklin-HO/n-BLbDM/i-fBrKvNm/0/e04e7499/O/i-fBrKvNm.jpg

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline PMPeter  
#45 Posted : 06 December 2018 22:57:14(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
If proof is needed to run this A-A configuration along with Marklin friendly rainbow boxcars:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Marklin-HO/n-BLbDM/i-fBrKvNm/0/e04e7499/O/i-fBrKvNm.jpg

Interesting photo taken with Vancouver, BC, Canada and the north shore mountains in the background. The line is now a BNSF line and also has Amtrack running on it into Vancouver.

Any idea of the photo date?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline BrandonVA  
#46 Posted : 13 December 2018 22:45:33(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Unfortunately not. I normally like to post the data and location, but the site has neither.
I suspect late 1950s to early 1960s based on the colour of the rolling stock and also the cars that can be seen.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA