Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages«<56789>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alsterstreek  
#301 Posted : 26 February 2015 10:46:40(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
What a majestic backdrop - BBC report on the (decayed) Michigan Grand Central Station in Detroit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31596161
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
train_depot_detroit_3.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline biedmatt  
#302 Posted : 26 February 2015 13:39:00(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Ak,
Detroit in general seems to have hundreds of abandoned buildings, including a very neat art deco highrise from the 20s or 30s. A few different TV productions have covered them. History Channel did a series "X Years Without Man". It chronicles what will happen to our monuments and buildings once we are gone. A favorite with most producers is the Packard automobile factory in Detroit. It was abandoned in the early 60s. They just walked away from it. Google Packard factory and abandoned Detroit buildings, you will get lots of fascinating pictures.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline PJMärklin  
#303 Posted : 27 February 2015 10:44:56(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
What a majestic backdrop - BBC report on the (decayed) Michigan Grand Central Station in Detroit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31596161

What a magnificent building !

I was very sorry to see the social, economic and demographic changes that time has brought to Detroit and that as a consequence
Detroit city is bankrupt.

Regards,

PJ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Alsterstreek  
#304 Posted : 28 February 2015 14:00:48(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
90 degree bend right out of a tunnel?
DRGW Moffat Tunnel, West Entrance (Winter Park, Colorado)

moffat f7.png
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#305 Posted : 28 February 2015 14:15:47(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Cutting edge.
image.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#306 Posted : 01 March 2015 11:43:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Too many steamers, not enough space? ... pile up bridges like in Richmond, VA (USA).

The Triple Crossing, where three railroads cross, in the city of Richmond, VA (1918).
640px-Is_Two_over_one_Railroad_Fare.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#307 Posted : 01 March 2015 13:22:28(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Former Broad Street Station in Richmond (VA) was built in 1917 in the neoclassical style. The passenger station was served by Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL), Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W) and eventually Seaboard Air Line Railway (SAL), which had formerly used Richmond Main Street Station, as well as AMTRAK. After passenger service ceased in 1975, the station building became the home of the Science Museum of Virginia.The station had an interesting operation pattern which looks like made for a model railroader: The station was situated in a loop off the main line(s) and all trains, regardless of destination, entered the station in the same direction, heading straight in, locomotives pointing south. To depart, a train ran around the loop. E.g. a southbound ACL train subsequently, crossed the station throat on diamonds, and turned south onto the "belt line", having done a 360 degree loop. For SAL trains approaching the stations was more complicated - see description in attached schematic track plan taken form "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong. Further I attach an aerial view. The following pix show various trains before leaving the station, while the last pic shows a Rainbow era AMTRAK train entering the station.
bssr0.jpg
bssr6.JPG
brss4.JPG
bssr1.png
bssr2.png
bssr5.png
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#308 Posted : 04 March 2015 16:43:42(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
180º tight radius curve? Why not? Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company at Tacoma, Washington (1968).
ps wa.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#309 Posted : 11 March 2015 22:36:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The Wutach Valley Railway in the Black Forest, Germany, has a series of curves (including one complete circle) with spectacular large viaducts, tunnels and bridges plus the only spiral railway tunnel in Germany. Photo shows portal of the Stockhalde spiral tunnel, which is clearly identifiable on the attached map, too.

Here a 2012 post by forum member Perz:

https://www.marklin-user...18081_Wutachtalbahn.aspx

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#310 Posted : 11 March 2015 23:11:14(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Electrified double-track mainline facing a grade-level crossing just outside of a tunnel? Badische Schwarzwaldbahn...
140M.jpg
Offline rrf  
#311 Posted : 14 March 2015 00:39:49(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I've been researching the rail lines south of the city of Göttingen (I lived there when I got my first Märklin model at age 10). My new layout will be loosely based upon the two routes: Göttingen/Bebra towards Kassel (dual track / electrified) and the Dransfelder Ramp to Hannöverishe Münden (single track / non electrified). The latter was originally built as part of the Hannover Southern Railway.

The first stop south of Göttingen on the route to Hann. Münden is the village of Gross Ellershausen. I still have no clue why the builders did this back in the 1850's, but the line actually circles the town! The first link below shows a map of the line. The second link is a satellite map courtesy of Google.

Map of Dransfelder Rampe

Gross Ellershausen

The forested loop around the town is the old rail line. It's now a popular trail for hiking and biking. I consider this a real world example of an R1 curve!

The sad thing is that my research has turned up photographs from a steam train trip on this line back in 1973 (when I lived there). If I had only known Sad
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#312 Posted : 14 March 2015 06:17:43(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,.... I still have no clue why the builders did this back in the 1850's, but the line actually circles the town! The first link below shows a map of the line. The second link is a satellite map courtesy of Google. .......

Hi Rob,
That is an interesting map, along with the Google Earth revelation.

Railway builders generally had to cope with obstacles, local, political and geographical.
Maybe an influential land-owner could refuse right-of-way for a new line.
Hence the diversion.

I note that the main railway further south, has multiple substantial tunnels in succession, suggesting a rather hilly topography all the way to the Fulda River and Kassel.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#313 Posted : 14 March 2015 19:44:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Great find!
:o)

I still have no clue why the builders did this back in the 1850's, but the line actually circles the town!

The Wikipedia article gives the clue under the header "Streckenverlauf" = mainline course: The loop around Groß Ellershausen served to gain altitude. The attached profile shows that the ramp climbed from an altitude of 152 m to the apex at 307 m. The altitude difference between the Autobahn A7 and the Groner Holz grade level crossing - well visible on your Google map link - equals already 90 m...

I consider this a real world example of an R1 curve!

The curves - having a minimum radius of only 200 m - were indeed sharp.

During the steam area, double or even triple loco combinations were the norm, e.g. a 01 with a 44 helper. The 38 and the 50 were operating there too.

All this trivia confirms: excellent prototypical example.
image.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kimballthurlow  
#314 Posted : 14 March 2015 23:06:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Great find!
:o) ... All this trivia confirms: excellent prototypical example.

Brilliant deductions and research Ak!

regards, Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rrf  
#315 Posted : 15 March 2015 00:35:19(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Ak,

Thank you for finding the answer. I obviously should have taken the time to translate the text! That height difference is definitely going to make this one of the more interesting sections of my layout! I also learned that apparently the line was double tracked up until 1942. At which point one of tracks was pulled up and sent to Russia. The second line was never rebuilt after the war.

Another interesting find from my research into the Dransfelder Rampe, is a small model company in Hann. Münden called Vampisol (www.vampisol.de). Amongst their inventory are the north and south portals of the line's Vollmerhausen tunnel. The also used to make one of the stations from the line (Oberscheden I believe). It was on their site a couple of years ago, but sadly I didn't see it yesterday when I went back there to look around :-(

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Alsterstreek  
#316 Posted : 15 March 2015 00:36:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Dransfelder Bahn website with historic photos:
http://www.kbs257.de/bilder/bilder.html

HO scale kits of both Volkmarshäuser Tunnel portals:
http://vampisol.de/index.php?k=21

ADDENDUM: I just saw that our posts crossed.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#317 Posted : 15 March 2015 00:51:40(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I also learned that apparently the line was double tracked up until 1942. At which point one of tracks was pulled up and sent to Russia. The second line was never rebuilt after the war.

Hmmm. Odd, because 1942 was three years before the end of WW II; and after WW II, the the entire Dransfelder Bahn was in the British sector. AFAIK, the double-track record of the line is complicated. What I can see from records and photos, only the second track between Hann. Münden and Dransfeld was removed, while the Dransfeld-Göttingen stretch kept the second track. Then, after WW II the Werra bridge - destroyed by German troops to impede the Allied advances - was reconstructed as double-track bridge, but one of the tracks was never connected.
Offline rrf  
#318 Posted : 15 March 2015 01:34:52(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello again Ak,

Your information matches what I have been able to find. I plan to model the entire line as a double track. I will also pretend that the original stone bridge across the Werra was not destroyed at the end of the war :-) This will be the "time warp" section of my layout. Though based upon what you have uncovered, I will need to consider running two loks per train Smile
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Online H0  
#319 Posted : 15 March 2015 11:29:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I consider this a real world example of an R1 curve!

The curves - having a minimum radius of only 200 m - were indeed sharp.
200 m? That's the double of R9 and far from R1.
Street cars can take sharp curves that get close to R1. Not all prototype locos can take curves as sharp as R9.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#320 Posted : 15 March 2015 14:31:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
True, R9 measures ca. 97 m in the 87/1 world. However, I did not state that a 200 m radius equals R1. Instead, I was referring to sharp curves.

According to current standards, minimum radii are:
300 m on a main line;
180 m on a branch line where main line equipment is expected to operate;
100 m on a branch line, where no main line equipment is expected to operate;
35 m on an "industry switching spur".
For the latter, precautionary measures are needed regarding construction and maximum speed.

In the light of the above, a 200 m main line radius looks tight to me.

Source: http://www.gleisbau-welt...vermessung/geometrie.htm

Online H0  
#321 Posted : 15 March 2015 15:35:58(UTC)
H0

AFAIK the sharpest curve between Rhine and Cologne Central Station is 151 m. And I think it counts as a main line.
I don't know where the limit is for 26.4/27.5 m coaches, but 151 m probably is close.

BR 182 have a minimum radius of 120 m.
BR 189 have a minimum radius of 80 m.

200 m is tight. Too tight for high speed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#322 Posted : 15 March 2015 18:13:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK the sharpest curve between Rhine and Cologne Central Station is 151 m. And I think it counts as a main line.
I don't know where the limit is for 26.4/27.5 m coaches, but 151 m probably is close.

BR 182 have a minimum radius of 120 m.
BR 189 have a minimum radius of 80 m.

200 m is tight. Too tight for high speed.

If the inner track of the curves was removed in 1942, then when considering if it should be rebuilt, the curve radius may have been the factor that said 'no'. Especially if other parts were kept as double track.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#323 Posted : 15 March 2015 21:55:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
True, R9 measures ca. 97 m in the 87/1 world. However, I did not state that a 200 m radius equals R1. Instead, I was referring to sharp curves.

According to current standards, minimum radii are:
300 m on a main line;
180 m on a branch line where main line equipment is expected to operate;
100 m on a branch line, where no main line equipment is expected to operate;
35 m on an "industry switching spur".
For the latter, precautionary measures are needed regarding construction and maximum speed.

In the light of the above, a 200 m main line radius looks tight to me.

Source: http://www.gleisbau-welt...vermessung/geometrie.htm

Here in Queensland on the narrow gauge 1067mm, and I guess the same goes for New Zealand, the minimum was always 5 chains.
That is equivalent to 99 metres.
Of course, speeds are lower, and stock is shorter.

My studies of railway history revealed that British engineers in the early 1800s aimed for 1 mile radius, but would accept 1/2 mile if necessary.
1 mile = 1609 metres.
Advances in railway technology have been able to take advantage of those generous parameters.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#324 Posted : 18 March 2015 22:00:00(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
From the 1959 time table book...
kb59.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#325 Posted : 18 March 2015 22:22:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
01 pulls and 50 pushes in 1962 on Dransfelder Rampe.
dr1.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#326 Posted : 21 March 2015 22:19:48(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Electric loco under overhead wire shunting container flat cars for container gantry crane (un-)loading: Too dangerous, not prototypical?

cbol.png
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline PJMärklin  
#327 Posted : 22 March 2015 07:36:24(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Electric loco under overhead wire shunting container flat cars for container gantry crane (un-)loading: Too dangerous, not prototypical?

Hello Ak,

Great image. Looking at it, the overhead seems to stop just short of the container crane framework, as one would expect.

We have a small container terminal beside the main station at Outback Station ( pron. of "Altbach") here.
It is rather "squeezed in" but the preiserlings demanded this facility for their town which does a roaring export trade in their cottage industry of manufacturing the famous Altbach tiddlywinks pieces!

As in your example, the design engineers also took the precaution of stopping the overhead just short of the maximum excursion of the mobile overhead container crane !! We leave any closer work to the diseasels !!

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PeFu  
#328 Posted : 23 March 2015 22:02:06(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Just have to add the spirals of the double track Gotthard Bahn!

BigGrin Peter
PeFu attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline kimballthurlow  
#329 Posted : 24 March 2015 00:52:20(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

While the map below would take a huge space in HO, the concept is easily replicated.

When you travel from Copenhagen to Aarhus in Denmark, the train skirts the fiord on the southern side of the city of Vejle.
As it does, you pass under the south end of this huge road bridge.
The line then curves north through the station.
Curving east, it continues on the north side of the fiord toward Aarhus, passing under the north end of the same bridge.

On the first trip, I didn't realise it is only one bridge, because I was not aware of the change in travel directions.
And I was thinking.... how many bridges are there in this area?

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#330 Posted : 01 April 2015 00:09:01(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Can´t make up your mind, no space but want it all? Too narrow tarmac road crossing double track mainline before becoming a county lane, grade level crossing secured by barriers and simple railroad crossing sign without flashing red lights, large steamer under wire, curves, tunnel under hill rather than mountain, blossoming trees mixed with other leaf trees and conifers, track with wood and concrete ties, brown and grey ballast. All too condensed and too much for being prototypical?
52Sommerdobel.jpg
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline petestra  
#331 Posted : 01 April 2015 00:23:38(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Great scene, AK. I would love that photo as a poster in my train room. It would make a great scene to copy. Peter Cool ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Alsterstreek  
#332 Posted : 01 April 2015 00:34:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
How about that then? Ivory and ebony.
Parallel15.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline foumaro  
#333 Posted : 01 April 2015 09:19:34(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Just see the difference,the one smoke is black and the other is white,a little bit strange.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Alsterstreek  
#334 Posted : 03 April 2015 13:02:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Until early 2000, Burnie airport near Wynyard on Tasmania had the distinction of having a railway line cross the northern end of runway 05/23,complete with flashing red signals, but without boom gates. Lights would begin flashing approximately 5 minutes before the train was expected to cross the runway, and aircraft were prohibited to land during this time.

http://www.airwaysmuseum...0rail%20crossing%201.htm
wrc1.png
wrc2.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#335 Posted : 03 April 2015 13:18:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
A nice compendium of similar cases (scroll down to the fifth blog entry:
http://www.amusingplanet...runway-with-railway.html

Then, a runway of the Peshawar International Airport in Pakistan is crossed by a (non-operational) railway line - see attached.
rail-runway.jpg
Offline kiwiAlan  
#336 Posted : 03 April 2015 16:00:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Until early 2000, Burnie airport near Wynyard on Tasmania had the distinction of having a railway line cross the northern end of runway 05/23,complete with flashing red signals, but without boom gates. Lights would begin flashing approximately 5 minutes before the train was expected to cross the runway, and aircraft were prohibited to land during this time.

http://www.airwaysmuseum...0rail%20crossing%201.htm

New Zealand also has an airport like this, at Gisbourne. This link has some good photos of trains at Gisbourne airport, and also mentions Wynyard in Tasmania, as well as Gibraltar airport having a main road into Gibraltar crossing it. [edit] whoops, I didn't see that Alstersteek had already posted this link [/edit]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#337 Posted : 03 April 2015 23:42:20(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

There was a occasion in Sydney Au back in the 50's where a train crossing the runway was hit by a plane . See link below .

http://www.spiritsofansett.com/history/train.html

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline kimballthurlow  
#338 Posted : 04 April 2015 03:02:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Prior to the 1950s the main road from Toowoomba to Brisbane crossed the runway of the military airport at Amberley.

In Queensland, roads and railways share the same bridge.
This is in various configurations, over and under, side by side, or one vehicle or train only.
One example at Miva - there are others.

Kimball
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline PJMärklin  
#339 Posted : 05 April 2015 10:55:22(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Hello Ak,

You continue to be a wealth of information!!

Although living in Tasmania I did not know about that airport/rail situation and have never been there !

Regards,

PJ
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Alsterstreek  
#340 Posted : 06 April 2015 23:45:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Inclined track, short trains, spectacular views? Höllentalbahn, Black Forest, Germany.
image.jpg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#341 Posted : 07 April 2015 10:00:28(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Uphill train on Krocksteinviadukt, 1997.

Edited by user 07 April 2015 16:44:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

image.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#342 Posted : 07 April 2015 16:39:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The Krocksteinviadukt - also known as Kreuztalviadukt - is a good 87/1 replication of a MRR classic, the tunnel - bridge - tunnel combination.
image.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#343 Posted : 07 April 2015 16:45:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Idem
image.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#344 Posted : 07 April 2015 22:56:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Vollmer HO 2550, "Kreuztalviadukt"
ktv.png
Offline Alsterstreek  
#345 Posted : 10 April 2015 14:56:07(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
When constructing a multi-span continuous under-deck truss bridge over a valley, would it be prototypical to place a pillar in the middle of a river, if that could be avoided? Check out Tavira in the south of Portugal.
Tavira 2014 .png
Offline PJMärklin  
#346 Posted : 11 April 2015 07:58:39(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
When constructing a multi-span continuous under-deck truss bridge over a valley, would it be prototypical to place a pillar in the middle of a river, if that could be avoided? Check out Tavira in the south of Portugal.

Hi Ak,

Or......... admire this bridge with no river pillar further north in Portugal at Porto !!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#347 Posted : 11 April 2015 12:56:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

More to the point, I am intrigued with the train. The left hand coach has double doors in the middle of the coach, the right hand coach has three single doors, one at each end and one in the middle - at least I think there is a blue door under the graffiti ... Other wise apart from the hump (aircon unit?) above the door on the left coach, the coaches appear to be identical.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online H0  
#348 Posted : 12 April 2015 23:19:46(UTC)
H0

Need an excuse for a short tunnel?

Look here:
Link to Google Maps

The two ICE tracks go underground to allow other trains to switch from left to right and vice versa.
On the route to Cologne (north-west from here) there are six tracks. From left to right two tracks for freight trains, two tracks for ICE, two tracks for regional passenger trains.

A few miles north it's the other way around: the ICE trains that turn right here run on the upper level while regional trains coming from the right are going underground:
Link to Google Maps

And just east of the station Köln-Deutz trains drive on three levels:
Link to Google Maps
H0 attached the following image(s):
BergUndTalfahrt.jpg
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#349 Posted : 03 May 2015 11:54:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Industrial & Offline Terminal Railroads in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx and Manhattan - more (actually a lot of) info: http://www.trainweb.org/...dustrialLocos.html#table

Gr. - Ak

The Erie car ferry yard in New York City was modelled on 46x28in (117x71cm) in HO with two extended Peco loco lifts serving as off-scene car float(s):
http://forum.mtimag.co.u...iewtopic.php?p=6120#6120
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/c...line/page-13#entry218343
erie.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#350 Posted : 03 May 2015 14:12:23(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage
Old B&O Mainline (Harper's Ferry West Virginia)

How John Armstrong envisaged this scene in HO scale on 4 x 8 ft.
image-1.jpg
image.jpg