Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline winetrains  
#151 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:41:13(UTC)
winetrains

Back again, sorry but wine wagon collecting is currently taking a back seat to another hobby occupying my time (and money).

Posted below are photos of purchases in July; the VB wagon was advertised on a US eBay site as a Marklin wagon so I picked it up cheaply. However, if it is a reference number 62 as suggested by the VB catalogue, then it is missing its cabin. So possibly I didn't get a great deal after all.

Regards, David
winetrains attached the following image(s):
62.JPG
5813k.JPG
WB223.JPG
WB222a.JPG
WB222b.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline winetrains  
#152 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:46:37(UTC)
winetrains

Oops, forgot the VB 62 photo
62.JPG
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#153 Posted : 18 August 2013 10:52:57(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David.

It is nice to see some more pictures of your wine wagons. These Electron wagons are very nice with lots of fine detail. However you appear to have something trailing underneath. Has the entire brake gear assembly dropped down?

Bob M.
Offline rmsailor  
#154 Posted : 18 August 2013 11:26:39(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David again,

having checked at the web-site, www.lestraissdeguillaume.com which lists lists French manufacturers and their products, you can see there that the VB wagon should have a brake shelter. A rather crude one shaped out of sheet metal and mounted between the top of the ladders and the tank.

having said that,these metal barrel wagons look rather attractive and it would be nice to see a modern version made. Future production from REE or LSM perhaps, if they look at Marklin-users?

Bob M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline winetrains  
#155 Posted : 18 August 2013 21:13:48(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post
Hi David.

It is nice to see some more pictures of your wine wagons. These Electron wagons are very nice with lots of fine detail. However you appear to have something trailing underneath. Has the entire brake gear assembly dropped down?

Bob M.

You have an eye for detail Bob, I missed it. The gear had dropped down but it clicks back into position. Thanks for the pickup. I know you are an Electrotren fan (as well as Marklin) so I have posted below some more photos of their large tank wagons and a photo one of their wooden barrel wagons. I believe I have the full collection of the Electrotren wooden barrel wagons so can post more photos if their is an interest.

Regards, David
5811k.JPG
5820.JPG
5856k.JPG
5858k.JPG
5862.JPG
813.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#156 Posted : 18 August 2013 23:22:33(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

Photos are very unforgiving when it comes to detail. Over the years it is surprising how often you will see a picture in a magazine or on a web-site where there is a derailment that has been overlooked.

Thank you for the further Electrotren pictures. It gives me an idea of items to look for.I have the top two bogie tankers but will look out for the others. I have just purchased another barrel wagon, labelled for the Swiss "Provins Valais", bringing my total up to five.

Bob M.
Offline winetrains  
#157 Posted : 19 August 2013 21:24:38(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

Photos are very unforgiving when it comes to detail. Over the years it is surprising how often you will see a picture in a magazine or on a web-site where there is a derailment that has been overlooked.

Thank you for the further Electrotren pictures. It gives me an idea of items to look for.I have the top two bogie tankers but will look out for the others. I have just purchased another barrel wagon, labelled for the Swiss "Provins Valais", bringing my total up to five.

Bob M.

Bob,

The "Provins Valais" wagon is a fine looking wagon, Swiss railway SBB-CFF.

I have posted below a photo of it for those forum followers who are not familiar with it; Mine has a Limited Edition certificate in a series of 2500 wagons.

Also a photo of the ""Valtellina La Torre", another good looking Swiss railway SBB-CFF. The interesting thing about this one is that Electrotren made both an AC and DC version. I have both and each has a Limited Edition certificate in a series of 1600 wagons.

FYI I am aware that Limited Editions were made for the following Electrotren wooden barrel wagons:810, 813, 814, 815, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 827 and 828. The really difficult one to find is the 818 Solar Samaniego which a Limited Edition series of 1000 wagons. I managed to acquire two of them in mint condition but had to fork out Aus$160 for each wagon. There is a photo of it earlier in this topic.

You are a fine English gentleman for not mentioning the cricket.

David
814.JPG
821.JPG
Offline rmsailor  
#158 Posted : 19 August 2013 22:31:08(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,
Thank you for the latest pictures, they are greatly appreciated. However I would point out that it is considered in very bad taste to refer to a Scot as an English gentleman but as you are 10,000 miles away and perhaps not to familiar with the finer points of British Geography, I shall make full allowance.
If you were to look at the picture of Ian's car and then towards the Forth Bridge. Keep going for about another twelve miles or so, you would come to where I stay.

Bob M.
Offline winetrains  
#159 Posted : 19 August 2013 23:01:07(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,
Thank you for the latest pictures, they are greatly appreciated. However I would point out that it is considered in very bad taste to refer to a Scot as an English gentleman but as you are 10,000 miles away and perhaps not to familiar with the finer points of British Geography, I shall make full allowance.
If you were to look at the picture of Ian's car and then towards the Forth Bridge. Keep going for about another twelve miles or so, you would come to where I stay.

Bob M.

Oops. Our family lived in England (Ipswich, Suffolk) between 1997-2001 and one of our best memories was a holiday in Scotland. And we did cross the Forth Bridge. We also drove from Ipswich to Tuscany via France and Switzerland which was rather nice.

Robert, I have three sons named Donald, Scott and Alistair and no close Scottish ancestry in my family. And I watch all the Scottish television shows (my wife does a great rendition of the Glasgow accent in the Taggart TV series, especially "murrrrrrder").

I sense that I was Scottish in another life or will be in the next life.

And of course you didn't mention the cricket because the Scottish don't play cricket. Probably because it is so cold and you have to run around to keep warm.

Regards, David (with a couple more photos as a peace offering).

1977a.JPG
1977b.JPG
Offline rmsailor  
#160 Posted : 19 August 2013 23:58:53(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

my comment was intended to be light hearted and hopefully not cause any offense. To balance things out, my daughter married an Australian and stays near Melbourne, down the Mornington Peninsula to be exact. I visited her earlier in the year and enjoyed (?) traveling into Melbourne by train from Frankston. There are twenty five stations to Flinders St. She took great delight in the result of the Lion's tour a few weeks ago and probably also from the cricket, though she has not mentioned it. I also enjoyed some very pleasant local wine. The local wine-growing area being just over the hill.

On a slightly different note, your last two posts would have been at 5.24 and 7.07 AM, Australian time. Is being up at these times a regular habit?

Thank you again for the two latest pictures. You keep coming up with surprises.

Bob M.

Offline alan  
#161 Posted : 20 August 2013 13:06:45(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

hi
I have come across a old wine wagon in one of my boxes

cant see any pics of it on the thread but it is very similar to
pics by yumgui posted on the 10th may

808/1
but its shorter with no brake hut
and it has number 611 on the side
no trace of a maker
and the metal has a bit of rust due to old age

hope someone can enlighten me

alan plymouth
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by alan
Offline Mark5  
#162 Posted : 21 August 2013 05:59:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi David,

Any idea what year this photo was taken?

I am planning to create an Italian wine barrel loading scene, but still looking at source photos.
I also really like the Cinzano photo with the cases being loaded by conveyor belt.

Would love to see what you end up doing with the Faller kits.

Thanks,
Mark

Originally Posted by: winetrains Go to Quoted Post
In a wine wagons topic on the Italian Marklin forum (refer to link in my opening thread), there is a fantastic real life photo of loading the large wooden wine barrels onto the wagons. If anyone knows of an HO model of the overhead loading structure, please let me know.

David

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Yumgui  
#163 Posted : 21 August 2013 21:55:41(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Originally Posted by: alan Go to Quoted Post

hope someone can enlighten me

Nothing on searches for this, a photo would help a lot Alan ...

Y ;)

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline Yumgui  
#164 Posted : 21 August 2013 22:22:07(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Oops, forgot the VB 62 photo

Very nice David !

Y ThumpUp
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#165 Posted : 22 August 2013 09:31:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

I am planning to create an Italian wine barrel loading scene, but still looking at source photos.
I also really like the Cinzano photo with the cases being loaded by conveyor belt.

Thanks,
Mark

In a wine wagons topic on the Italian Marklin forum (refer to link in my opening thread), there is a fantastic real life photo of loading the large wooden wine barrels onto the wagons. If anyone knows of an HO model of the overhead loading structure, please let me know.

David

Hi Mark,

My guess for the Mailolle-Perpignan yard photo is pre-1920.
The wagons have the chain couplings, and the photo is sepia, which indicates a possibility of even being pre-1900.

In fact, why not ask that question on the Italian site? Some one there is most likely to know.

regards
Kimball

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline alan  
#166 Posted : 22 August 2013 11:05:49(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

hi

yumgui
I have never been able to master posting photos on here
but if my son comes to visit I will get him to post some pics

I can send by email {that's not to hard}
if you or anyone else PMs a email address I can send them pics

each coupling has a single screw holding them in
and they are joined by a 5cm thin tight spring

regards

alan plymouth
Offline winetrains  
#167 Posted : 22 August 2013 11:30:18(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

my comment was intended to be light hearted and hopefully not cause any offense. To balance things out, my daughter married an Australian and stays near Melbourne, down the Mornington Peninsula to be exact. I visited her earlier in the year and enjoyed (?) traveling into Melbourne by train from Frankston. There are twenty five stations to Flinders St. She took great delight in the result of the Lion's tour a few weeks ago and probably also from the cricket, though she has not mentioned it. I also enjoyed some very pleasant local wine. The local wine-growing area being just over the hill.

On a slightly different note, your last two posts would have been at 5.24 and 7.07 AM, Australian time. Is being up at these times a regular habit?

Thank you again for the two latest pictures. You keep coming up with surprises.

Bob M.

Of course no offense Rob. It was tongue in cheek. As for my early starts, I usually walk out the door at 6.13am to catch a bus to the station. Early rising runs in my family.

Regards, David
Offline rmsailor  
#168 Posted : 22 August 2013 13:52:33(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

The hill I mentioned is Arthur's Seat. She lives on the edge of it. By coincidence, if I take a short walk down to the shore, I can see the original on the East side of Edinburgh.

I hope your train journey is not too long. Melbourne electric trains are definitely high density suburban units which start to feel cramped if your journey is any length. I think I would prefer my local Scotrail class 170 diesel trains any day, and people complain in the press about them.

Bob M.

Offline winetrains  
#169 Posted : 22 August 2013 14:18:07(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

The hill I mentioned is Arthur's Seat. She lives on the edge of it. By coincidence, if I take a short walk down to the shore, I can see the original on the East side of Edinburgh.

I hope your train journey is not too long. Melbourne electric trains are definitely high density suburban units which start to feel cramped if your journey is any length. I think I would prefer my local Scotrail class 170 diesel trains any day, and people complain in the press about them.

Bob M.

Bob, for 4 years I caught the Intercity train between Ipswich (Suffolk) and Liverpool Street station in London.

I have never complained about train travel since. My train trip now is a leisurely 30 minutes, and it does not stop when a few leaves fall on the track.

FYI, the chairlift at Arthur's Seat has finally closed following some scary incidents. Pity because it was an icon.

This is a Marklin forum so I had better post some more photos of Marklin wagons.

Regards, David

4415.046.JPG
388.JPG
85108.JPG
4786.JPG
4890.123.JPG
46743.JPG
Offline winetrains  
#170 Posted : 22 August 2013 14:29:10(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

Thanks,
Mark

David

Hi Mark, I made a right mess of the Faller kits mainly because I don't have enough patience with very small models. The parts were very fine and delicate, and I had trouble following the instructions. And trying to build models while drinking a glass or two of red wine doesn't help either.

I also suggest you contact the Italian Marklin forum. There is a link to it at the very start of my topic.

Regards, David
Offline rmsailor  
#171 Posted : 22 August 2013 16:18:49(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

Berentzen is an apple flavoured schnapps based liqueur. There are a lot of this type of product in Germany and quite a lot of corresponding wagons to collect.

Bacchus is I think, despite the shape of the glass, actually a Belgian beer. If you look closely there is a head on top of the liquid.

I do have all these wagons apart from the 4786. One to look out for. however it is nice to see the photos, thank you again.

The chairlift may be closed but the direct gravel road up from my daughter's has its own thrills. If you do feel the need to relax after you get there, there is a very nice pub "the Pig and Whistle" just down the road from the top.

Bob M.

Offline alan  
#172 Posted : 22 August 2013 19:15:04(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

hi

just put my glasses on and the number on my previous post is 511 not 611

alan plymouth
Offline winetrains  
#173 Posted : 22 August 2013 20:31:52(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

Berentzen is an apple flavoured schnapps based liqueur. There are a lot of this type of product in Germany and quite a lot of corresponding wagons to collect.

Bacchus is I think, despite the shape of the glass, actually a Belgian beer. If you look closely there is a head on top of the liquid.

I do have all these wagons apart from the 4786. One to look out for. however it is nice to see the photos, thank you again.

The chairlift may be closed but the direct gravel road up from my daughter's has its own thrills. If you do feel the need to relax after you get there, there is a very nice pub "the Pig and Whistle" just down the road from the top.

Bob M.

I'm shattered Bob that an Aussie can't tell the difference between a glass of beer and a glass of wine. This wagon may soon find itself on eBay.

Marklin 4786 was a set of 4 historic freight cars in 1930, one being the brown bifoudre wine wagon with grey cab (Lausanne + Zanchi & Cie; 523 9550.

I'll keep that pub in mind.

Regards, David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#174 Posted : 22 August 2013 20:53:15(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

The glass is typical of the shape you very often see wine being served in Germany. However for beer I would imagine it would be rather larger. Contrary, in a baking programme from Stuttgart, I did see wine being served in glasses with handles looking like miniature beer mugs.

Bob M.
Offline Yumgui  
#175 Posted : 22 August 2013 23:46:39(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
hi

yumgui
I have never been able to master posting photos on here
but if my son comes to visit I will get him to post some pics

I can send by email {that's not to hard}
if you or anyone else PMs a email address I can send them pics

each coupling has a single screw holding them in
and they are joined by a 5cm thin tight spring

regards

alan plymouth

hi

just put my glasses on and the number on my previous post is 511 not 611

alan plymouth

Hey Alan,

Even with "511" keyword I haven't found anything at all ...

Adding photos here is quite simple, assuming you know where your photo is on your computer ... go back to your post, click on the edit button, scroll down to "Options:" then check the "Attach files to this post?" button.

You will then be prompted by a "Browse" button which will allow you to navigate towards the location of the photo on your computer, click "Upload" ... and poof, your pic will appear at the bottom of your post ...

If I can do it, so can you ^^ ;)

Regards,

Y Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Mark5  
#176 Posted : 23 August 2013 02:14:49(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
David and all,

When I read the comment, "I will keep the pub [idea] in mind," I immediately imagined you opening a wine bar/pub/restaurant with a layout and display of your splendid collection to inspire patrons to order alternative vintages... with an honoury Marklin-users.net cache of having the largest wine train car collection in the world, it would be great publicity for such an establishment. Love Having such a bar in an old railway station would be the cork in the bottle.... or the uncorking.

Cheers!
Mark

ps Sounds, however, like you might have to hire a few of our modelers who aren't drinking while apply glue to details. Mellow

Hi David,

Bob M.

I'm shattered Bob that an Aussie can't tell the difference between a glass of beer and a glass of wine. This wagon may soon find itself on eBay.

Marklin 4786 was a set of 4 historic freight cars in 1930, one being the brown bifoudre wine wagon with grey cab (Lausanne + Zanchi & Cie; 523 9550.

I'll keep that pub in mind.

Regards, David

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline rmsailor  
#177 Posted : 23 August 2013 09:45:01(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Mark,

I remember reading, I think in an American magazine, of a bar owner who had a high level shelf round the bar. On it he laid O, S, and HO tracks. Then , for the benefit of his more inebriated patrons, run in succession identical trains in each scale and then reverse the process.

Bob M.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Mark5  
#178 Posted : 24 August 2013 01:28:08(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Bob,

You have reminded me of an incredible bar in Lisbon, called Pavilhao Chines.
(Hoping this not too OT.... its wine model related)

This place was an beautiful old drug store with incredible display cabinets now completely filled with mostly military miniatures and other collectible paraphernalia, toy soldiers, the ceiling effuse with hanging model planes.

Its well worth the visit if you happen through Portugal's capital.
And for the any UK politicos, you may run into Tony Blair on one of his visits.
Ask Tony if he the Rod Stewart of the toy soldier and military miniature world.

- Mark

Hi Mark, I remember reading, I think in an American magazine, of a bar owner who had a high level shelf round the bar. On it he laid O, S, and HO tracks. Then , for the benefit of his more inebriated patrons, run in succession identical trains in each scale and then reverse the process.
Bob M.
Mark5 attached the following image(s):
pavilha-chines01.jpg
pavilhao2.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline rmsailor  
#179 Posted : 24 August 2013 09:16:31(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Mark,

A truly fascinating place. It is always of interest when you come across somewhere out of the ordinary. Here in the UK I have heard of bars that collect ties and knickers from their patrons, not the same bar and presumably not the same patrons.
A number of the preservation societies in the UK have bars themed to their particular lines and in some of the more scenic parts of the country tours going from station to station, with a visit to a recommended pub in each have become fashionable. They have become so popular that at times locals are upset by having their trains crowded out by hairy men in anoraks, some of whom have perhaps visited one pub too many. Of course going by train saves any worry about driving and I am sure for the railways the extra revenue is welcome, especially on lines that may have marginal revenue.

Bob M.
Offline alan  
#180 Posted : 24 August 2013 11:43:18(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

im trying to post pics

alan plymouth
alan attached the following image(s):
DSCF4020.JPG
DSCF4021.JPG
DSCF4022.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by alan
Offline alan  
#181 Posted : 24 August 2013 12:02:11(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

hi
worked it out at last
thanks yumgui

rubbish pictures but at least you get some idea
apart from the barrels which are probably wood
everything else is metal including the barrel hoops

as you can see I am giving my 2 rail engines their yearly run out on the test track

alan plymouth
Offline rmsailor  
#182 Posted : 24 August 2013 13:55:55(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

That is an Electrotren wagon , similar to the examples David has already posted. They were produced as an annual item over a period of twenty years or so. Perhaps david will be able to add more detail.

Yours appears to be suffering a bit from rust and has also been fitted with old style Fleischmann or similar couplings with a lifting hook and fixed loop.

Bob M.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#183 Posted : 25 August 2013 05:06:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Bob and Alan,

I recently purchased an example of the Fredrico Paternina wagon, and mine also came with the Fleischmann style hook and loop couplings.
They are professionally fitted as part of the manufacture.
Because the wheels have come loose on the axles, I am unable to run it on my layout.
I did try to get it apart to replace them, but could not do it.
I have put this wagon aside in my wine cabinet.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Yumgui  
#184 Posted : 25 August 2013 10:55:34(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
worked it out at last
thanks yumgui

Good news Alan !

Your post got me to check on the model number ... and in fact it looks like yours, without a break-cab, is 808/1 while the model with break-cab is 808/2.

So, my post has been updated, thanks,

Y ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline winetrains  
#185 Posted : 25 August 2013 13:14:43(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
worked it out at last
thanks yumgui

Good news Alan !

Your post got me to check on the model number ... and in fact it looks like yours, without a break-cab, is 808/1 while the model with break-cab is 808/2.

So, my post has been updated, thanks,

Y ThumpUp

Guys,

The 808/1 wagon pictured below is a shorter length of 9 cm where the normal length is 10.4 cm, thus you can expect to pay a decent price for it if you can find one in good condition. The wagon appears in the 1958 Electrotren catalog.

The 808/2 wagon pictured is also rare. Look at the shield. Different coloring and lettering to the normal Federico Paternina wagon.

Regards, David
808.1v2.JPG
808.2.JPG
Offline alan  
#186 Posted : 25 August 2013 16:33:38(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

thanks lads for taking the time to reply to my querie

I was going to dump it but if its that old I might get the plastic polish out
and see how it turns out

david
I don't suppose it makes any difference
but the number on mine is 511
whereas you pic shows 325 or 525

take care

alan plymouth
Offline rmsailor  
#187 Posted : 25 August 2013 18:32:40(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

As these are limited production, it is probably worth cleaning and holding onto even if you have to give the chassis a repaint. the normal production seems to have been about 2,500, so not impossibly rare. Most Marklin Special wagons are a run of 500, though some can be more, up to 5,000 or so.

Bob M.
Offline Mark5  
#188 Posted : 26 August 2013 05:20:51(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I came across this 2005 post yesterday and could not resist adding it to the wine list here.
Wondering if David has anything with flair such as this Wink
https://www.marklin-user...t-Unique.aspx#post126182

- Mark
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline winetrains  
#189 Posted : 26 August 2013 12:11:03(UTC)
winetrains

I came across this 2005 post yesterday and could not resist adding it to the wine list here.
Wondering if David has anything with flair such as this Wink
https://www.marklin-user...t-Unique.aspx#post126182

- Mark

You got me beat Mark. How could I top that? Although Marklin did produce some pretty alarming glass wine/alcohol wagons such as the one photographed below. I have 11 Marklin glass wagons in total should there be a cry for more photographs.

Regards, David
44520.JPG
Offline rmsailor  
#190 Posted : 28 October 2013 14:38:54(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
I have just finished watching on television the first of Michael Portillo's new series of Great Continental Railway Journeys. It was a journey from Madrid to Gibralter. It includes a number of vintage scenes of the early use of rail transport by the sherry around the southern Spanish city of Jerez.
The series here in the UK is being broadcast on Sunday night and then repeated late on Wednesday.

Bob M.
Offline winetrains  
#191 Posted : 10 May 2014 07:37:35(UTC)
winetrains

Apologies for leaving my post in relation to this topic. The old cellar is running out of shelf space but I did happen to take delivery of three Fleischmann wine wagons last November. Photos below. They are Era 2. 545504 from Italy, 545506 from Spain and 545507 from Germany.
I will post photos of some new L.S. Models wine wagons once I take their photos.
545504.JPG
545506.JPG
545507.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#192 Posted : 10 May 2014 13:12:45(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

Nice to hear from you again. I was beginning to wonder if other hobbies had diverted you. You did inspire me to go looking for the Electron and Matey wagons and I now have more than thirty.

Bob M.
Offline winetrains  
#193 Posted : 10 May 2014 13:50:23(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you again. I was beginning to wonder if other hobbies had diverted you. You did inspire me to go looking for the Electron and Matey wagons and I now have more than thirty.

Bob M.

Thanks Bob, I've been sidetracked studying photography and overspending on camera equipment.

My contact in Spain who got me most of my Electrotren wine wagons hasn't been returning emails, so I was unsuccessful in trying to get you two in touch. You've done well to build up your collection and I would be keen to know what you have. Perhaps you could email me the model numbers. To give you an idea of what's available (some very difficult to get), I have 54 Electrotren wine wagons and 18 Electrotren/Matey wine wagons. Have you been able to snare the allusive "818" Solar Samaniego? This is the hardest one to get from those with the two wooden barrels. I have provided a picture of it earlier in this topic.

My interest now is to try and pick up more of the rare ones rather than just build up my numbers.

I had a visitor to my wine cellar this morning, an O-guage enthusiast who had heard what I had set up. He couldn't believe that someone's hobby was to collect wine wagons and that one could build a train layout that ran behind wine racks and also through them. I mistakenly bought an old B.L.Z O-guage wine wagon (pair of wooden barrels) a couple of years ago and he would have loved to take it home with him. One of the risks of buying on eBay late at night after a glass or three of red wine is that you admire the photo but forget to check on the guage. Another of my mistakes was a Z-guage wine wagon. Impressive how they can fit two wooden wine barrels into Z-guage. I'll post photos of them if anyone is interested.

Cheers from Australia, David
Offline winetrains  
#194 Posted : 17 May 2014 10:57:38(UTC)
winetrains

I've done a lot of work on the scenery in my wine cellar and started taking photos today.

I plan to post a new photo about every week on this topic.

The first photo is below.

Happy to answer any questions on the layout or the photography.

Regards, David
0Q2A5514_edited-1.JPG
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline kimballthurlow  
#195 Posted : 18 May 2014 01:31:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi David,

<<<Slightly off-topic for which I apologize.

My daughter lives in Denmark, and we occasionally deal with a Danish wine merchant there to send gifts to her.
I mentioned my interest in trains, and sent him photos of a couple of wine wagons, including the Electrotren Frederico Paternina SA with brake-house..

He told me by email"... I recognize the Federico Paternina name, as it is a well known producer of quality wines in Spain. I don’t recognize the other name, but there was thousands of wine-merchants in France earlier."

>>>Back on topic, look at this great photo of a provincial French railway station in 1933:

The inscription on the lorry (camion) says:
VINS en GROS (Wine in Bulk)
Eugene ROGOVITZ
MOYENMOUTIER
LEMONADE

I want a model of that truck, so that will be project of mine in the next few months.
Moyenmoutier is the name of a nearby town.
UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 20 May 2014 08:43:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rmsailor  
#196 Posted : 27 May 2014 16:24:47(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. however i have been rather busy recently, including a spell away from home. Yes, I do have one of the Solar de Samaniego barrel wagons, which I picked up a few weeks back, taking my total to fifteen. Not quite sure why it should be regarded as elusive as it was produced in the same numbers (1000) as most of the others. Certainly the price was not out of line. The annual barrel wagons were produced from about 1980 until 2004 which gives an indication of the total to look out for, though i do not know if there was one every year.

I also have fifteen of the Electrotren/ Matey covered barrel wagons, from a total of twenty produced. They do come up reasonably often on E-bay but prices do tend to rocket and I have let several go by for that reason.

I also have three K*train covered barrel wagons. They appeared to have sold well as they have now been deleted from the web-site. However a further three have been listed in the last couple of weeks.

A small point of interest is that although the doors do not open, you can tell from the roof walks and hatches, the Matey wagons represent single barrel wagons while the K*train wagons are double barreled.

Bob M.
Offline DumbGuy  
#197 Posted : 19 June 2014 02:10:32(UTC)
DumbGuy

United States   
I've done a lot of work on the scenery in my wine cellar and started taking photos today.

I plan to post a new photo about every week on this topic.

David -- My compliments on your collection. It's well beyond exceptional!! Until happening on your thread today, I was largely unaware of the variety of vintage wine cars from makers other than Marklin. My humble collection consists mainly of Marklin's 308/1 & 4510 2-barrel wagons (shown below), plus four of their more recently made larger-barrel wagons.

I do like my 308s & 4510s a lot, but thanks for opening my eyes to other options. I'll take some time to look more closely at the posts and photos here. I look forward to your future additions

Regards -- Richard

DumbGuy attached the following image(s):
Wine_308-4s & 4510s w-BR 64.JPG
Long-time analog user, collector & tinkerer.
Discovered digital & began conversion a few years ago.
C-Track, CS2 Carpetbahn built, taken-down, rebuilt, etc.
Username reflects how much I still have to learn.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DumbGuy
Offline Herb  
#198 Posted : 16 November 2014 23:10:28(UTC)
Herb

United States   
How or where do you acquire Marklin wine cars? I've been searching online for some months but have only been able to get two so far. Thanks, Herb
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Herb
Offline kiwiAlan  
#199 Posted : 18 November 2014 17:31:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Just to show that no matter how many you manage to collect, you will never have a complete set ... BigGrin

Here is a couple more ...

The Marklin one was released this year, and was available only in France, Switzerland and Italy IIRC. I heard about it through the Insider magazine (4/2014, or it might have been 3/2014).

kiwiAlan attached the following image(s):
24045.jpg
94422.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Herb  
#200 Posted : 18 November 2014 17:42:32(UTC)
Herb

United States   
Thanks. Lots of beer cars available in the US but almost no wine cars. Wonder why. May look around when traveling in Europe. Happy railing. :)