Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Yaasan  
#51 Posted : 28 October 2013 11:21:26(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Oliver,

>Do you mean that I should try other decoder addresses? Or are you referring to the delay of acceleration etc when adding locos manually?

I mean you should try the other address. Acceleration is probably regarded with CV in the your locomotive.
The 6021 panels of Desktop Station are easy to check the locomotive address.

CAN_H and CAN_L are differential signaling. See Wikipedia LVDS.
VCC and GND is possible to use as power supply for CAN-BUS and Arduino. If USB power is available, VCC and GND pins are not required.
I recommend soldering VCC and GND because it is difficult to update the cable after soldering.

Occasionally, Desktop Station and Arduino will freeze. Then please unplug Arduino's USB cable and AC power supply(e.g. 66361) of 60113.
After unplugging, wait a few seconds and plug USB and AC power supply of 60113.

Sorry, I have not tried delta locos.

Thank you for trying. I'll afford the best for you. Please tell me your all questions.

Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
Hi Yaasan!

Thank you for your reply! I have to quit work early today.. This is just too exiting! Smile

I am not really sure what you mean by this:
"Please type 23 or 22 or the others to register Desktop Station. "
Do you mean that I should try other decoder adresses? Or are you referring to the delay of acceleration etc when adding locos manually?

CAN_H and CAN_L as I understand is send/receive. Is one pin send and one receive, or do they both do the same thing in duplex?

So just to be clear, I can try without soldering VCC and GND?

Perhaps I should resolder the cable tonight just to try?

I will try just soldering the CAN_H and CAN_L then. Probably a good idea to minimize my confusion. Smile.

Also, have you tried Desktop Station with locos that are equipped with delta decoders? The reason I ask is that I suspect that perhaps the delta decoder's few speed steps could be an issue if adding the loco and not changing the acceleration delay setting. What do you think?

I don't actually own a Mobile Station 2. I just bought the connector box for this project so I can't try with that. I do have a Mobile Station 1 though. Will that work? I presume it won't work with the MS2 connector box?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your answers! Smile

Kind regards,
/Oliver

Originally Posted by: Yaasan Go to Quoted Post
Hi Oliver,

Thank you for reporting.

Your first practice is probably correct because the mfx loco is recognized. The configuration seems bad in this practice.

Desoldring your cable seems to cause a bad result. CAN_H and CAN_L must be soldered. VCC and GND are recommended to solder. If you had already soldered CAN_H and CAN_L, don't mind to solder GND and VCC. Also please check short pins or pins of CAN_H and CAN_L soldered.

Console has a debug message like "<-- xxxx" or "--> xxxx". Don't mind.

Please type 23 or 22 or the others to register Desktop Station.

If you have MS2, Please connect MS2 to 60113. Also connect Arduino too.
You can see MS2's commands in the Console.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Thank you for the tip Fransisco! I had forgotten to rename the folder. I was certain I did but apparently not. Smile

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Or perhaps renaming it since when you unzip it, the name is src.
The zipped file structure is Railuino/src/files.
You have to make it src/files, copy to the libraries directory and then rename src to railuino
Hope this helps

Now to the new problem:

Since I was not able to source a 10 pin mini din plug I decided to sacrifice one of a defective Mobile Station 1. By using a multimeter I mapped the pins to the correct wires. Since I can't see the actual pin schematic and numbers I closely studied the images and diagram at http://yaasan.mints.ne.jp/ready.html.
I believe I have correctly mapped the pins and soldered to the correct pins on the 9pin D-SUB.

After my first try I put all of the things together including the trackbox, arduiono etc. Fired up Desktop Station and opened COM6. Seems to work. Desktop station also identifies the trackbox. So far so good, right?
Now this is where it gets strange.

The first loco I tried was actually an mfx loco. I am aware of the possible issues with mfx but just thought I would try anyway. Guess what, it actually detected it right away! Took a few seconds but then "unidentified mfx loc" showed up. This is a loco I converted myself with the 60947 kit. However after detecting it I was not able to control the loco or it's functions. I tried playing around with the settings for a while but gave up.

After this I tried with a delta locomotive. Set the adress to 24 using the dip switches. Added "24" in dekstop station. No reaction. I see in the console it sends loco speed and ping etc and also recieves some "random?" data. However I fail to control the locomotive. It does however move. Slowly forward. If I press stop. Then start. The loco is at standstill at first. Then slowly starts to move. It is like it takes my "accelerate" command very slowly.

Everything stops/goes if i press STOP/GO in desktop station. So I seem to have some control.

My analysis

Flashing the Arduino was straight forward. I don't believe I could have done anything wrong there.

Setting all the hardware up was straight forward except for the cable.

The Desktop Station application does receive information. Registering the mfx loco confirms that. I do not seem to have any control though. I tried desoldering pin 2 at the D-SUB end. That resulted in errors and emergency stops in the console so this leads me to believe that if the cable would be incorrectly soldered, I would receive errors in the console?

I have yet to try a regular FX loco. I am going to my parents after work to pick one up from my storage there. I do not see why delta locos would not work though. One idea is that they could be struggling with the "acceleration delay" when adding locos but I haven't had time to try this morning. Could that be the reason for the delta loco not working as it should? The speedometer did move accordingly when increasing the speed.

My conclusion is that my likely issue is either:
A: Incorrectly soldered cable
B: Delta loco/issues with acceleration delay.

If I manage to get a regular FX loco to work I know the problem with the Delta loco. If I don't it must be the cable. I guess I will have to strip the plug of the plastic and do it the "ugly" way to ensure the pin mapping is correct if that is the case.

Unfortunately I am "stuck" at work for 8 more hours but I will be checking in here often as I would love to get this working Smile.

Any ideas as to what my problem may be? Smile

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yaasan
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#52 Posted : 28 October 2013 11:53:41(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi again Yaasan,

Ok, I will try different addresses on the decoder.

Also, I will re solder the entire cable tonight according to your instructions.

I am hopeful that it will work but no matter what I will report back here in the thread.

Thank you for the tip regarding the freezes. I guess I will have to keep in mind to check that it has not crashed. I guess using the STOP/GO button will do the trick? Using a lightbulb one could simply check if there is voltage in the tracks and when it is there. As I have understood it the STOP/GO button actually stops the current in the tracks? Is this correct?

I actually do have loads of other questions as I find this project fascinating. Please let me get back to you with these after we figure the rest out and I get it to work.

Thank you for your reply and time Yaasan. I really appreciate it! Smile.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

>Do you mean that I should try other decoder addresses? Or are you referring to the delay of acceleration etc when adding locos manually?

I mean you should try the other address. Acceleration is probably regarded with CV in the your locomotive.
The 6021 panels of Desktop Station are easy to check the locomotive address.

CAN_H and CAN_L are differential signaling. See Wikipedia LVDS.
VCC and GND is possible to use as power supply for CAN-BUS and Arduino. If USB power is available, VCC and GND pins are not required.
I recommend soldering VCC and GND because it is difficult to update the cable after soldering.

Occasionally, Desktop Station and Arduino will freeze. Then please unplug Arduino's USB cable and AC power supply(e.g. 66361) of 60113.
After unplugging, wait a few seconds and plug USB and AC power supply of 60113.

Sorry, I have not tried delta locos.

Thank you for trying. I'll afford the best for you. Please tell me your all questions.

Hi Yaasan!

Thank you for your reply! I have to quit work early today.. This is just too exiting! Smile

I am not really sure what you mean by this:
"Please type 23 or 22 or the others to register Desktop Station. "
Do you mean that I should try other decoder adresses? Or are you referring to the delay of acceleration etc when adding locos manually?

CAN_H and CAN_L as I understand is send/receive. Is one pin send and one receive, or do they both do the same thing in duplex?

So just to be clear, I can try without soldering VCC and GND?

Perhaps I should resolder the cable tonight just to try?

I will try just soldering the CAN_H and CAN_L then. Probably a good idea to minimize my confusion. Smile.

Also, have you tried Desktop Station with locos that are equipped with delta decoders? The reason I ask is that I suspect that perhaps the delta decoder's few speed steps could be an issue if adding the loco and not changing the acceleration delay setting. What do you think?

I don't actually own a Mobile Station 2. I just bought the connector box for this project so I can't try with that. I do have a Mobile Station 1 though. Will that work? I presume it won't work with the MS2 connector box?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your answers! Smile

Kind regards,
/Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for reporting.

Your first practice is probably correct because the mfx loco is recognized. The configuration seems bad in this practice.

Desoldring your cable seems to cause a bad result. CAN_H and CAN_L must be soldered. VCC and GND are recommended to solder. If you had already soldered CAN_H and CAN_L, don't mind to solder GND and VCC. Also please check short pins or pins of CAN_H and CAN_L soldered.

Console has a debug message like "<-- xxxx" or "--> xxxx". Don't mind.

Please type 23 or 22 or the others to register Desktop Station.

If you have MS2, Please connect MS2 to 60113. Also connect Arduino too.
You can see MS2's commands in the Console.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Thank you for the tip Fransisco! I had forgotten to rename the folder. I was certain I did but apparently not. Smile

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Or perhaps renaming it since when you unzip it, the name is src.
The zipped file structure is Railuino/src/files.
You have to make it src/files, copy to the libraries directory and then rename src to railuino
Hope this helps

Now to the new problem:

Since I was not able to source a 10 pin mini din plug I decided to sacrifice one of a defective Mobile Station 1. By using a multimeter I mapped the pins to the correct wires. Since I can't see the actual pin schematic and numbers I closely studied the images and diagram at http://yaasan.mints.ne.jp/ready.html.
I believe I have correctly mapped the pins and soldered to the correct pins on the 9pin D-SUB.

After my first try I put all of the things together including the trackbox, arduiono etc. Fired up Desktop Station and opened COM6. Seems to work. Desktop station also identifies the trackbox. So far so good, right?
Now this is where it gets strange.

The first loco I tried was actually an mfx loco. I am aware of the possible issues with mfx but just thought I would try anyway. Guess what, it actually detected it right away! Took a few seconds but then "unidentified mfx loc" showed up. This is a loco I converted myself with the 60947 kit. However after detecting it I was not able to control the loco or it's functions. I tried playing around with the settings for a while but gave up.

After this I tried with a delta locomotive. Set the adress to 24 using the dip switches. Added "24" in dekstop station. No reaction. I see in the console it sends loco speed and ping etc and also recieves some "random?" data. However I fail to control the locomotive. It does however move. Slowly forward. If I press stop. Then start. The loco is at standstill at first. Then slowly starts to move. It is like it takes my "accelerate" command very slowly.

Everything stops/goes if i press STOP/GO in desktop station. So I seem to have some control.

My analysis

Flashing the Arduino was straight forward. I don't believe I could have done anything wrong there.

Setting all the hardware up was straight forward except for the cable.

The Desktop Station application does receive information. Registering the mfx loco confirms that. I do not seem to have any control though. I tried desoldering pin 2 at the D-SUB end. That resulted in errors and emergency stops in the console so this leads me to believe that if the cable would be incorrectly soldered, I would receive errors in the console?

I have yet to try a regular FX loco. I am going to my parents after work to pick one up from my storage there. I do not see why delta locos would not work though. One idea is that they could be struggling with the "acceleration delay" when adding locos but I haven't had time to try this morning. Could that be the reason for the delta loco not working as it should? The speedometer did move accordingly when increasing the speed.

My conclusion is that my likely issue is either:
A: Incorrectly soldered cable
B: Delta loco/issues with acceleration delay.

If I manage to get a regular FX loco to work I know the problem with the Delta loco. If I don't it must be the cable. I guess I will have to strip the plug of the plastic and do it the "ugly" way to ensure the pin mapping is correct if that is the case.

Unfortunately I am "stuck" at work for 8 more hours but I will be checking in here often as I would love to get this working Smile.

Any ideas as to what my problem may be? Smile

SBB Era IV - VI
Online franciscohg  
#53 Posted : 28 October 2013 12:04:07(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello all, delta locos works for me with no problems!
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Yaasan  
#54 Posted : 28 October 2013 12:05:37(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Oliver,

> I guess using the STOP/GO button will do the trick? Using a lightbulb one could simply check if there is voltage in the tracks and when it is there. As I have understood it the STOP/GO button actually stops the current in the tracks? Is this correct?

That's correct. As you know, Desktop Station's STOP/GO refers track power. This feature is similar to MS2's STOP button.

I hope you will work successfully your locomotives.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Edited by user 28 October 2013 21:12:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#55 Posted : 29 October 2013 08:39:46(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi Yaasan, all,

I have some new progress to report! Smile

Yesterday evening I re soldered the cable. First I soldered CAN_L and CAN_H. I also decided to solder GND as I read that CAN interface needs a GND at same potential at both ends to work more reliably.
After having done this I decided to solder VCC as it was no more hassle.

I set the things up. Connected Arduino, 60113 etc. I started Desktop Station and it connected to COM6.

First off I tried the same delta loco as then night before. I changed the adress to 74. I still see that there is a reaction. The loco slowly tries to rev up. No more success than this though.
After this I tried with another delta loco. Set the adress to 74 on this one too. I also changed the settings in Desktop Station. Set the acceleration delay/deceleration to max. I had a hunch that
this could be causing delta locos to work badly with Desktop Station since the delta decoders only have 14 speedsteps (or 12?). This actually gave me some success! The loco now gains speed faster. Unfortunately time did not allow me to set up an oval to try it out but as far as I could see the loco was now executing the commands faster, but still far from fast enough as there still seems to be a delay.

This got my hopes up. I did not have the chance to pick a normal FX loco up from my parents house. However I did have an old 3127 SBB railbus converted with a LokPilot set to adress 45. After adding a new loco with adress 45 in Desktop Station I set it on the rails. It worked!

I would say the delay was minimal. When I changed speed in the Desktop Station application the railbus reacted almost instantly. However I was not able to change direction easily. This could be because I actually had to lift it of the tracks with the powered boggie since I ran out of track. But changing the direction itself was not that straight forward, it took a few tries. I was not able to activate function 1 though. (Headlights) or function 2 (internal lights).

This leads me to believe that Desktop Station will work best with Märklin FX/MFX decoders? I thought all decoders had the same interface/way of communication but maybe this is not the case? Tonight I will pick up an FX loco from my parents house and try with it. I had a Märklin 3761 in mind. Digital with an FX decoder from factory. What do you think?

So all in all. Before I can say anything for sure it seems to work. But the commands are "taken" by the locos with some delay. I will set up a test track tonight to verify. At least I have gotten somewhere in the matter.

Below are some more observations I have made.
Another thing I noticed is that "EMG" stop does not seem to work at all. STOP/GO does however work. As Yaasan mentioned there is a difference between these. Maybe the "EMG" stop is currently not supported?
There still seems to be some delay and I do not know what could be causing this or how to solve it.
The delta locos don't seem to respond very fast at all to commands. Fransisco, did you do anything special when adding these? What address did you use? Did you change any settings when adding them?
Changing the direction took a few tries on 3127 converted railbus.
The MFX loco was now not recognized at all. The console shows it is receiving data but I know that MFX locos can be tricky. Should I leave it off the tracks for a few days and hope for improvement?

Many questions but also some success. Smile

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

> I guess using the STOP/GO button will do the trick? Using a lightbulb one could simply check if there is voltage in the tracks and when it is there. As I have understood it the STOP/GO button actually stops the current in the tracks? Is this correct?

That's correct. As you know, Desktop Station's STOP/GO refers track power. This feature is similar to MS2's STOP button.

I hope you will work successfully your locomotives.

Best regards,
Yaasan

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline Yaasan  
#56 Posted : 29 October 2013 11:48:05(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Oliver,

Thank you for reporting details.

Speed step is specified 1024 decimals in the 60113 internal specifications. Desktop Station refers this specification. Unfortunately I don't know the Delta locos speed mechanism. However Delta locomotives use very similar mechanism.

I measured that the communication delay is about 0.01-0.1 seconds per commands. Of course, this delay doesn't equal locomotive reaction. The reaction time depends on the locomotive.

>Another thing I noticed is that "EMG" stop does not seem to work at all. STOP/GO does however work. As Yaasan mentioned there is a difference between these. Maybe the "EMG" stop is currently not supported?

Sorry, EMG button means the locomotive emergency stop. EMG button doesn't mean an emergency stop for track power. If you want to stop the track power, please click a stop button.

My English is very poor. I'm sure that Desktop Station has many strange words. If you found mistakes, tell me my mistakes.
Of course I'll fix Desktop Station if you would have some ideas. Please tell me that.

Best regards,
Yaasan

#57 Posted : 29 October 2013 12:17:05(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Again, thank you for your replies Yaasan!
I can't wait to get home from work to play some more with Desktop Station! Smile.

You have a great piece of software here and there are so many possibilities. I do have some ideas I would love to share with you. I will send you a PM in a few minutes.

Question: When using "STOP" button on Mobile Station or Central Station. Does it cut track power or does it use some other command to actually stop all locomotives?

I will report back this evening but I am still curious how to go about testing the speedsteps. I will set up a small track oval and start from there I guess.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for reporting details.

Speed step is specified 1024 decimals in the 60113 internal specifications. Desktop Station refers this specification. Unfortunately I don't know the Delta locos speed mechanism. However Delta locomotives use very similar mechanism.

I measured that the communication delay is about 0.01-0.1 seconds per commands. Of course, this delay doesn't equal locomotive reaction. The reaction time depends on the locomotive.

>Another thing I noticed is that "EMG" stop does not seem to work at all. STOP/GO does however work. As Yaasan mentioned there is a difference between these. Maybe the "EMG" stop is currently not supported?

Sorry, EMG button means the locomotive emergency stop. EMG button doesn't mean an emergency stop for track power. If you want to stop the track power, please click a stop button.

My English is very poor. I'm sure that Desktop Station has many strange words. If you found mistakes, tell me my mistakes.
Of course I'll fix Desktop Station if you would have some ideas. Please tell me that.

Best regards,
Yaasan

SBB Era IV - VI
#58 Posted : 30 October 2013 08:35:08(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
It works! Yesterday night (early this morningCool ) I finally managed to get everything to work correctly!
I must admit I am still not 100% sure of the problem or exactly what is causing it but I have a hunch.

When I tried the setup before using the CAN cable and other things I was at my desk at home. Among other things there is a laptop, soldering iron, a couple of "wall warts" aka transformers etc on or under the desk. When trying Dekstop Station out at first I failed. See my posts above. I got strange delays etc.

However, when moving the entire setup and building a track oval at our loft on its carpeted floor it all worked! Flawlessly I might add! One of the delta locos a previously tried worked. I think the reason might be interference. Everything points to it anyway. I will probably try to identify the source.

Tonight or tomorrow evening I am going to try with more locos. I will again report the progress. I am also considering buying a couple of turnout motor/decoder/lamp kits from my dealer here to convert some of my switches to digital.

So far Dekstop Station looks promising. I am planning the following improvements:

-Shield the CAN cable
-Get an appropriate housing for the Arduino + CAN bus shield
-Maybe desolder the contacts on the CAN bus shield and solder it directly to the Arduino pins. I will never disassemble this and will dedicate this Arduino and CAN bus shield to my Märklin so I might as well save some space and get the things into a smaller housing.

That is all for now.

Kind regards,
Oliver

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline kc6uvm_George  
#59 Posted : 10 November 2013 08:59:48(UTC)
kc6uvm_George

United States   
Hi Yaasan!

Your work looks excellent! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Been following this thread with eager anticipation of experimenting with something soon at home.

I ordered the pieces and parts to make the cable. Finding a 10 pin mini din connector was impossible with my "normal" electronics suppliers such as Mouser, Allied or Digi-key. But was able to find it on eBay. Just in case, I ordered two connectors. The other components were easy to find at a local Radio Shack. The Can bus shield came from Sparkfun dot com. I was surprised to find out Radio Shack sold Arduinos. It'd been a long time since I was in one of those stores.

All my HO-DC engines have decoders to run with a HO modular train club but none of my AC engines have been digitized, so that's the next project...

Cleaning off the test bench...
George,
73 de kc6uvm
NMRA life member
Lancaster, CA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kc6uvm_George
Offline Yaasan  
#60 Posted : 12 November 2013 21:42:07(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Geroge,

Thank you for reporting.
To collect the components is a little difficult because mini DIN 10 pins connector is not popular.

As you know, Desktop Station can control DCC locomotives. You can check Arduino and Desktop Station using your DCC locomotives.

I hope your work goes well.

If you have a question etc, send me a post or e-mail.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: kc6uvm_George Go to Quoted Post
Hi Yaasan!

Been following this thread with eager anticipation of experimenting with something soon at home.

I ordered the pieces and parts to make the cable. Finding a 10 pin mini din connector was impossible with my "normal" electronics suppliers such as Mouser, Allied or Digi-key. But was able to find it on eBay. Just in case, I ordered two connectors. The other components were easy to find at a local Radio Shack. The Can bus shield came from Sparkfun dot com. I was surprised to find out Radio Shack sold Arduinos. It'd been a long time since I was in one of those stores.

All my HO-DC engines have decoders to run with a HO modular train club but none of my AC engines have been digitized, so that's the next project...

Offline Lollo  
#61 Posted : 14 November 2013 06:34:08(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Geroge,

Thank you for reporting.
To collect the components is a little difficult because mini DIN 10 pins connector is not popular.

As you know, Desktop Station can control DCC locomotives. You can check Arduino and Desktop Station using your DCC locomotives.

I hope your work goes well.

If you have a question etc, send me a post or e-mail.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: kc6uvm_George Go to Quoted Post
Hi Yaasan!

Hi,

I can not obtain 10 pin mini din in New Zealand. Ebay came to the rescue. Have ordered 2, so have a spare.
I Now have the Adruino Uno board, but waiting for the the can bus shield & of course the mini din.
I decided to have a play & got the Adruino board driver installed & compiled the serial_RS4.ino in sketch & uploaded.
Pleased to report Desktop Station almost ready to go. At least I could create & store all my loco's and have a good look at Desktop Station.
I have to say I am really impressed with the features. Can wait to actually drive my loco's.

Brian.

Edited by user 14 November 2013 19:44:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline Yaasan  
#62 Posted : 15 November 2013 00:34:04(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Brian,

10pin mini din connector is not popular in Japan, too.
If you have a question, please tell me.

best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

I can not obtain 10 pin mini din in New Zealand. Ebay came to the rescue. Have ordered 2, so have a spare.
I Now have the Adruino Uno board, but waiting for the the can bus shield & of course the mini din.
I decided to have a play & got the Adruino board driver installed & compiled the serial_RS4.ino in sketch & uploaded.
Pleased to report Desktop Station almost ready to go. At least I could create & store all my loco's and have a good look at Desktop Station.
I have to say I am really impressed with the features. Can wait to actually drive my loco's.

Brian.

Offline billys7  
#63 Posted : 26 November 2013 17:07:49(UTC)
billys7

Greece   
Great Job, keep up the good work...

I am not familiar with arduino.
Please, can someone explain me, what i need to have, and the schematic?

Thank you!
Offline Yaasan  
#64 Posted : 26 November 2013 21:49:54(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi billys,

The detail of Arduino is described in http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage.

The components you need are described in my site. Also I explain where to buy.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: billys7 Go to Quoted Post

I am not familiar with arduino.
Please, can someone explain me, what i need to have, and the schematic?

Thank you!

Offline billys7  
#65 Posted : 26 November 2013 23:09:09(UTC)
billys7

Greece   
Thank you!!!
Offline Lollo  
#66 Posted : 29 November 2013 11:39:37(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I finally have the din plug, and soldered cable to mini-din & D-Sub.
As I had already prepared everything else, I just had to connect all together & power on.
It worked first time without any problems. This is fantastic. I use my MS2 as well, and use the Emergency stop button on that when I need to.

Yaasan, a big thank you for all your hard work, and for sharing this great project.
I now have a great train control command station at an extremely affordable price. It completely serves my needs.
Desktop Station is a wonderful project.

Again, thanks Yaasan.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline billys7  
#67 Posted : 29 November 2013 23:40:57(UTC)
billys7

Greece   
Can someone explain me how Railuino and Desktop Station works ?
Also, how they cooperate with 60113.
The signal for the tracks generated in the 60113, or 60113 forward the signal (like a booster) that generated from Railuino or Desktop Station ?

Thank you.
Offline Yaasan  
#68 Posted : 29 November 2013 23:58:19(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi billys,

Railuino and Desktop Station is corresponding to MS2. You can use Railuino and Desktop Station instead of MS2.

60113 has to generate MM2/mfx/DCC signals like a booster. Also 60113 communicates with MS2 using CAN technology. MS2 connects with 60113 via CAN cable, also Railuino too.

Desktop Station provides a user interface for train control. Desktop Station uses Railuino as a gateway between 60113 and Windows PC.

Desktop Station and Railuino send a command to 60113. The command is for example, loc addr 03 sets speed 512 (50% speed).
60113 can understand the command and generate a suitable signal to track.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Can someone explain me how Railuino and Desktop Station works ?
Also, how they cooperate with 60113.
The signal for the tracks generated in the 60113, or 60113 forward the signal (like a booster) that generated from Railuino or Desktop Station ?

Thank you.

Offline billys7  
#69 Posted : 30 November 2013 00:30:23(UTC)
billys7

Greece   
Hi Yaasan, and thank you for the quieckest reply.
So, if i am correct, the decoding of the order from Desktop Station and Railuino is being done from the 60113, also the same for the encoding for MM or DCC signal for the tracks.
Correct ?
Offline Yaasan  
#70 Posted : 30 November 2013 01:43:35(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi billys,

Exactly, that's correct.

I seem that 60113 has enough functions to control locomotives and turnouts.
Consequently, I focus to develop the user interface, which is Desktop Station.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Hi Yaasan, and thank you for the quieckest reply.
So, if i am correct, the decoding of the order from Desktop Station and Railuino is being done from the 60113, also the same for the encoding for MM or DCC signal for the tracks.
Correct ?

Offline billys7  
#71 Posted : 30 November 2013 02:01:01(UTC)
billys7

Greece   
Offline Yaasan  
#72 Posted : 08 December 2013 07:38:27(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi all,

I just add a new feature which supports translation file.BigGrin

Try the latest Desktop Station 0.88c.

Example of applying Japanese.csv :
Example of applying Japanese.csv

I provide you translation files which are written in English and Japanese, Swedish (using Google translation) , also German (using Google translation).
The files are including in the latest Desktop Station 0.88c. See bin/language/ folder.

If you found my mistakes, please fix it and send me. The structure of the translation file is CSV which can edit using Excel and Libre Office, also text editors. The text encoding of the CSV file must be UTF-8. Be careful.

Of course providing a new translation file is welcome. Send me it anytime.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Offline Khanzir  
#73 Posted : 13 December 2013 01:51:16(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Hello Yasaan

I am a newbie and yet I have started working on computer based control from the get go. my stuff is gradually arriving. Now when I try and upload the file Serial_Rs4, it gives me an error.
tried it many times. could you guide me what to do here now. Thanks
Offline Khanzir  
#74 Posted : 13 December 2013 02:14:19(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
it says "Track Controller" does not name a device
Offline Yaasan  
#75 Posted : 13 December 2013 02:18:19(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Khanzir,

Please see below my faq page.

http://yaasan.mints.ne.jp/faq.html#Q14

I estimate that you drag and drop Serial_RS4.ino in the Arduino IDE. Please open "Serial_RS4.ino" using the File menu. If drag and drop used, including other files are not applied.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: Khanzir Go to Quoted Post
it says "Track Controller" does not name a device
Offline Khanzir  
#76 Posted : 13 December 2013 02:24:31(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
wow thanks for your fast reply Yaasan. I was just working on the troubleshooting at the arduino site. let me try this and will report back. again thanks a ton!
Offline Khanzir  
#77 Posted : 13 December 2013 02:30:54(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
same error, but says Track Controller ctrl (0xdf24,true);
Offline Khanzir  
#78 Posted : 13 December 2013 02:41:22(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
also when add the file it does not have .ino at the end. guess I do not have the correct drivers?
Offline Yaasan  
#79 Posted : 13 December 2013 03:46:24(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Khanzir,

Open Serial_RS4.ino using File menu or drag and drop Serial_RS4 folder (not Serial_RS4.ino).

You have to open serial_rs4 as below. TrackReporter_S88.cpp and Trackreporter_S88.h files tabs are shown.

UserPostedImage

If possible, please show me screenshots.

also when add the file it does not have .ino at the end. guess I do not have the correct drivers?

Offline Khanzir  
#80 Posted : 13 December 2013 13:21:34(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Thanks so very much Yaasan, will work on this and send you the screen shots. have to work all day ! so when I get back later.....
really appreciate it.
Offline Khanzir  
#81 Posted : 13 December 2013 13:37:29(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
here goes. this is with the board not attached. message is the same
Khanzir attached the following image(s):
scrshot1.png
scr2.png
Offline Khanzir  
#82 Posted : 13 December 2013 13:44:00(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
hope it gives you an idea. will try and work on it at work too.... thanks
Offline Yaasan  
#83 Posted : 13 December 2013 22:15:00(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Khanzir,

Did you download Railuino? also unzip them and copy the src folder to Arduino IDE's library folder?

See the "Procedure to prepare softwares".
http://yaasan.mints.ne.jp/ready.html#SOFTWARE

Best regards,
Yaasan

hope it gives you an idea. will try and work on it at work too.... thanks

Offline Khanzir  
#84 Posted : 13 December 2013 23:20:29(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
I did. but I transferred the whole folder. may be should do it again and rename it. will report back.
Offline Khanzir  
#85 Posted : 13 December 2013 23:29:04(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Worked!!! :), thank you very much. it was disheartening not being able to work it out. I am sure I'll have more questions later. just got my solder stuff and the other connecting material. have to get a CAT wire to connect now and solder it and see what happens.
thanks again.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#86 Posted : 16 December 2013 04:02:49(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hi Yaasan

This is a good start. I too have written train control software (actually since 1989 starting with Turbo Pascal and Märklin 6050!)

The features you have shown - controlling functions of a loco, seeing s88 status, changing signals are all needed and are very useful for testing a layout but I think you will find that creating these virtual controllers does not lead to the ability to control a whole layout. Here is what I mean. Imagine you wish to run a train from station A to B. The track between these two stations goes through 5 turnouts and passes two signals. To do this with virtual controls, one will need to know the following:

Address of the loco.
Correct direction for each turnout and the address of each.
Address of both signals.
In addition, if you wish the train to run a a nice prototypical speed, you will need to know the scale speed for each speed step so one know how to accelerate through the speed steps etc.

When running a layout these are not things one can keep in ones head for long, and this is exactly where layout control software can be so wonderfully powerful.
One might then say we need to create a 'route' from points A to B, yes that is is easy to do too, but its has not yet made it possible to control a layout, because now one still needs to remember to use route A-B but what if other trains are using the tracks, or need to have the turnout along the way set differently....?

In other words the control of a layout starts getting very complex, and it needs the parts you have made, but also lots of other parts too, - and I encourage you to make them also.

The approach that I took and what I would also suggest to you is to think of how the user wants to run their trains. I do not want to have to play a piano concert setting signals turnout or loco speeds. I don't even want to know any addresses. I like to click on a train on my layout diagram and pick which station it is to go to. Done. I then want the computer to decide when the track is free, set the signals, set the turnouts, set the right speed steps for the loco (or perhaps multiple locos in the train) monitor its progress with s88 feedback, play the sound effects, switch of smoke when not needed etc. While that is all happening I want to send another train on a journey or do some manual shunting somewhere. This all sounds very complex and indeed it is - but that is exactly what software is for - handling such complex problems!

So I encourage you to think about adding layers of abstraction between the loco, turnouts, signals and s88 and concepts that the observer is interested in, which is stations and train names. For example: send my Intercity from Main station to my rural station.

Think of the layers of abstraction like this:

CAN BUS level command
Serial port command
Loco address and speed
Loco name
Train that the loco is part of
Location of the train
Destination of the train

The hardware controllers we can buy and virtual version of them one usually sees usually go only the first 3 levels. Speed knobs and lists of functions - but not enough to actually drive a train from A to B without being a concert pianist with the mouse or keyboard ! :-)

Select your data models carefully. I found that OOP was not always the best option, for example I sometimes need to get the station name of the track that the train is on. My 'train' structure includes the track number and an index into the list of stations, so I can quickly grab the station name, and pass that into the station announcement.

You may decide to start a new piece of software with a broader comprehensive goal and use the code you have already written to do the low level stuff as it is needed. You may in fact find that instead of giving the user a virtual loco controller (with speed steps and lists of functions) you want to give them the view from inside the cab and add the signals (and speed limit signs) one may see through the window and a speed control in km/h rather than speed steps - stuff we can't always do with the physical controllers.
For example: http://layout.mixmox.com/1/signals-in-cab-view

Keep at it !
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Yaasan  
#87 Posted : 19 December 2013 12:54:15(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Dale,

Thank you for your advice. I'm sure that Desktop Station need more useful features.

Desktop Station focuses a reasonable upgrade option for MS2 users. Of course the current feature doesn't cover a whole layout. As you know, the weak point is that the power supply of MS2 is small to drive turnouts and locos and so on.

Because current Desktop Station architecture is not so good, I will update the Desktop Station step by step. I want to develop a simple and useful command station because many great command stations has already released. Now I'm finding an original feature for Desktop Station.

Again, thank you for the advice. Your advice is very useful for me.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Hi Yaasan

This is a good start. I too have written train control software (actually since 1989 starting with Turbo Pascal and Märklin 6050!)

The features you have shown - controlling functions of a loco, seeing s88 status, changing signals are all needed and are very useful for testing a layout but I think you will find that creating these virtual controllers does not lead to the ability to control a whole layout. Here is what I mean. Imagine you wish to run a train from station A to B. The track between these two stations goes through 5 turnouts and passes two signals. To do this with virtual controls, one will need to know the following:

Address of the loco.
Correct direction for each turnout and the address of each.
Address of both signals.
In addition, if you wish the train to run a a nice prototypical speed, you will need to know the scale speed for each speed step so one know how to accelerate through the speed steps etc.

When running a layout these are not things one can keep in ones head for long, and this is exactly where layout control software can be so wonderfully powerful.
One might then say we need to create a 'route' from points A to B, yes that is is easy to do too, but its has not yet made it possible to control a layout, because now one still needs to remember to use route A-B but what if other trains are using the tracks, or need to have the turnout along the way set differently....?

In other words the control of a layout starts getting very complex, and it needs the parts you have made, but also lots of other parts too, - and I encourage you to make them also.

The approach that I took and what I would also suggest to you is to think of how the user wants to run their trains. I do not want to have to play a piano concert setting signals turnout or loco speeds. I don't even want to know any addresses. I like to click on a train on my layout diagram and pick which station it is to go to. Done. I then want the computer to decide when the track is free, set the signals, set the turnouts, set the right speed steps for the loco (or perhaps multiple locos in the train) monitor its progress with s88 feedback, play the sound effects, switch of smoke when not needed etc. While that is all happening I want to send another train on a journey or do some manual shunting somewhere. This all sounds very complex and indeed it is - but that is exactly what software is for - handling such complex problems!

So I encourage you to think about adding layers of abstraction between the loco, turnouts, signals and s88 and concepts that the observer is interested in, which is stations and train names. For example: send my Intercity from Main station to my rural station.

Think of the layers of abstraction like this:

CAN BUS level command
Serial port command
Loco address and speed
Loco name
Train that the loco is part of
Location of the train
Destination of the train

The hardware controllers we can buy and virtual version of them one usually sees usually go only the first 3 levels. Speed knobs and lists of functions - but not enough to actually drive a train from A to B without being a concert pianist with the mouse or keyboard ! :-)

Select your data models carefully. I found that OOP was not always the best option, for example I sometimes need to get the station name of the track that the train is on. My 'train' structure includes the track number and an index into the list of stations, so I can quickly grab the station name, and pass that into the station announcement.

You may decide to start a new piece of software with a broader comprehensive goal and use the code you have already written to do the low level stuff as it is needed. You may in fact find that instead of giving the user a virtual loco controller (with speed steps and lists of functions) you want to give them the view from inside the cab and add the signals (and speed limit signs) one may see through the window and a speed control in km/h rather than speed steps - stuff we can't always do with the physical controllers.
For example: http://layout.mixmox.com/1/signals-in-cab-view

Keep at it !

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Yaasan
Offline cgmolina  
#88 Posted : 20 December 2013 20:02:56(UTC)
cgmolina

Hello Yaasan,

It seems to be an excellent alternaive ThumpUp

Where can we buy Arduino?

what protocols does it use? MFX?

Thanks and best regards

CM

Hello all. I'm sure Railuino is very nice project. Let's discuss about Railuino.

https://code.google.com/p/railuino/

By the way, I'm developing a software command station using Railuino. Of course, this command station is free software.
If you had interest with this try, please tell me your opinions.Blushing

Desktop Station:
http://yaasan.mints.ne.jp/

Regards,
Offline Yaasan  
#89 Posted : 20 December 2013 23:25:09(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi CM,

You can buy Arduino at DIY shop. for example, http://www.watterott.com/de/Railuino-Komponenten.

Desktop Station supports MM2, mfx, DCC which are same as MS2.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: cgmolina Go to Quoted Post
Hello Yaasan,

Thanks and best regards

CM

Hello all. I'm sure Railuino is very nice project. Let's discuss about Railuino.

By the way, I'm developing a software command station using Railuino. Of course, this command station is free software.

Desktop Station:

Regards,

Offline Yaasan  
#90 Posted : 20 December 2013 23:33:26(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi CM,

You can buy Arduino at DIY shop. for example, http://www.watterott.com/de/Railuino-Komponenten.

Desktop Station supports MM2, mfx, DCC which are same as MS2.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Originally Posted by: cgmolina Go to Quoted Post
Hello Yaasan,

Thanks and best regards

CM

Desktop Station:

Regards,

Offline Khanzir  
#91 Posted : 21 December 2013 03:04:01(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
hello Yaasan

Back again. I have every thing now. I soldered the wire as directed on the right pins and in fact redid it again so its neater. connected everything put my loco on the tracks. I have a few but I tried last with Loco that came with 26531. Nothing!
how do I trouble shoot this? Not sure if the cable that I created is doing anything. My desktop station is functioning. but it does not recognize the loco and it does not move. I figured the address on the loco as 41. which I entered and for protocol I selected mfx.
I am so much into it that I dream about it lol. I am trying to locate my multi meter so I can check if there is power on the track. What else? I am stumped.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Khanzir
Offline Yaasan  
#92 Posted : 21 December 2013 11:22:58(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Khanzir,

Do you have a MM2 or DCC locomotive? To register a mfx locomotive is different from MM2 and DCC.
Because of mfx locomotive address is temporarily and assigned by command station which are MS2 and CS2.

Of course Desktop Station has a function which assigns an address for mfx locomotives. You have to wait for a few minutes to some days. Blink
Because mfx locomotives requires to update themselves sometimes. Sometimes means a few minutes or some days. This time depends on mfx locomotives (mfx decoders).

I recommend you to use DCC or MM2 locomotives whether Desktop Station works correct or not.

Best regards,
Yaasan

hello Yaasan

Back again. I have every thing now. I soldered the wire as directed on the right pins and in fact redid it again so its neater. connected everything put my loco on the tracks. I have a few but I tried last with Loco that came with 26531. Nothing!
how do I trouble shoot this? Not sure if the cable that I created is doing anything. My desktop station is functioning. but it does not recognize the loco and it does not move. I figured the address on the loco as 41. which I entered and for protocol I selected mfx.
I am so much into it that I dream about it lol. I am trying to locate my multi meter so I can check if there is power on the track. What else? I am stumped.

Offline Khanzir  
#93 Posted : 21 December 2013 14:58:11(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Thanks Yaasan.

have changed the protocol to MM2 and left it connected to see if it will run or not. . not sure if I have a MM2 or DCC, and researching still. Mean time, how do I know if my desk top station is functioning or not? because all tabs can be used, even if I have not made any connection. thanks again.
Offline Khanzir  
#94 Posted : 21 December 2013 23:16:40(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Well checked the current on the tracks. did all you suggested. this is what the screen shot shows when pinging.
Offline Khanzir  
#95 Posted : 21 December 2013 23:17:48(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
sorry Yaasan here goes.
scr3.png
Offline Yaasan  
#96 Posted : 21 December 2013 23:23:41(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
Hi Khanzir,

Do you have MS2? Connect MS2 and also Arduino to 60113's mini DIN port same time.
If you controlled Desktop Station, MS2 will work as same when same locomotive is shown in Desktop Station and MS2.

Best regards,
Yaasan

Thanks Yaasan.

have changed the protocol to MM2 and left it connected to see if it will run or not. . not sure if I have a MM2 or DCC, and researching still. Mean time, how do I know if my desk top station is functioning or not? because all tabs can be used, even if I have not made any connection. thanks again.

Offline Yaasan  
#97 Posted : 21 December 2013 23:28:09(UTC)
Yaasan

Japan   
It seems to connect incorrectly between Arduino with CAN-BUS Shield and 60113.
Please check wire pins and CAN cable.

Can I have a photo wired with 60113 and Arduino, also PC?

Best regards,
yaasan

sorry Yaasan here goes.
Offline Khanzir  
#98 Posted : 22 December 2013 02:21:23(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
yes, its a PC. can you send me the pics. I followed the pin table you had. maybe the soldering was not good. I could see that while its pinging, there is no return.
Offline Khanzir  
#99 Posted : 22 December 2013 02:24:36(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
its a mess here, will send you the pics soon. Thanks very much Yaasan, for your patience.
Offline Khanzir  
#100 Posted : 22 December 2013 12:38:32(UTC)
Khanzir

United States   
Hello Yaasan.
I took some pics, please see attached. should I be re soldering? or there is something wrong with the setup.
dec 22 2013 022.JPG
dec 22 2013 023.JPG