Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bruce Skolnik  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2007 04:20:11(UTC)
Bruce Skolnik

Hello to all:

I am seeking some advise for C-track use with the Trix Dammtor Station model, which was released a few years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with using C track and the two station platforms? I am not having success in configuring the geometry to fit the 4 tracks and 2 platforms within the width dimensions of the hall. Marklin Magazine Dec/Jan 2006/07 page 17 has a picture of what appears to the the Dammtor with the 4 tracks and 2 platform configuration. Any thoughts about the C track components used?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Offline Bart  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2007 01:28:01(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Bruce,
I've searched several German forums for an answer, but no clue. Sorry [:(]

BTW, in Hamburg they say that Dammtor is not a station, just a "Haltestelle" (stop), as it has no turnouts...
Maybe that's why Trix didn't bother to make it fit.... [}:)]
*Bart
Offline NewComix  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2007 20:55:37(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi Bruce,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bruce Skolnik
<br />Hello to all:

I am seeking some advise for C-track use with the Trix Dammtor Station model, which was released a few years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with using C track and the two station platforms? I am not having success in configuring the geometry to fit the 4 tracks and 2 platforms within the width dimensions of the hall. Marklin Magazine Dec/Jan 2006/07 page 17 has a picture of what appears to the the Dammtor with the 4 tracks and 2 platform configuration. Any thoughts about the C track components used?

I don't have a Dammtor 'Haltestelle' but what I've got from various threads, is that the kit doesn't really fit to neither K nor C-tracks and you need to use some tricks to get a proper level between the rails and platforms. Will have a look and might forward you some URLs on Thursday.

best regards
Jörg
Offline NewComix  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2007 20:45:00(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
HI Bruce,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bruce Skolnik
<br />Hello to all:

today is a bank holiday in Germany, so I#ve got a chance to look for the websites in regards to Hamburg Dammtor.

You can't use C-tracks if you like to use overhead lines. There is not enough height for it. Some people thought of lowering the tracks, but this is in conflict with windows from the shops below! As a matter of fact you need to use the K-Gleis!

I have three links for you:
www.vanoliefen.nl
www.hetgroterdamproject.nl (Go to projecten, stad and Station Dammtor)
Old Maerklin insider forum

The first two are unfortunately in Durch, but show very nice pictures of the building phases. As also stated from other buyers Dammtor is very difficult, the manual very poor and you need to do a lot of work arounds espically on the first level as the plastic is a little bit weak for MŠrklin heavy weight trians.

best regards
Jšrg

Offline Bart  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2007 19:06:33(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by NewComix

I have three links for you:
www.vanoliefen.nl
www.hetgroterdamproject.nl (Go to projecten, stad and Station Dammtor)
Old Maerklin insider forum

The first two are unfortunately in Durch, but show very nice pictures of the building phases. As also stated from other buyers Dammtor is very difficult, the manual very poor and you need to do a lot of work arounds espically on the first level as the plastic is a little bit weak for MŠrklin heavy weight trians.

best regards
Jörg

Thanks for the additional info.

there is a small typo in the first link, it should be:
http://www.vanollefen.nl (Go to De Bouw - Dammtor)
Nothing on track layout there, but an important mention on catenary:
he mentions a strip (I suppose under the semicircular window) that should be omitted when planning the use of catenary. This part is said to be marked with a cross in the manual.
He refers to this pic:
http://www.vanollefen.nl/images...uw/dammtor/dammtor13.jpg
(but no reference to the location of that specific strip, or whether it has been mounted or removed in that pic - I'm sorry)
As shown in the pic, he uses 2-track on cork - probably a bit lower than C-track.

I was fimiliar with the 'Groterdam' site, which is a fabulous building report on the Dammtor model.
However, no mention of track layout anywhere in that report either (I re-checked).
*Bart
Offline Bruce Skolnik  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2007 05:12:10(UTC)
Bruce Skolnik

Many, many thanks to all that have responded to my original question.

The Dammtor kit is really very interesting but I agree with the prior comments regarding the "creative" aspect for the construction.

Re Catenary: I simply cut off the lowest "section" of the large semi-circular end window and like-wise adjusted the corresponding "metal lattics" so that catenary fits.

I have come up with a less-than-optimal solution using C track with 4 resulting tracks in the hall. With the scheme, the platforms provided by Trix do not fit so I have found another "project" to do! Will work on getting some pictures soon.

As an aside...
For anyone looking for an interesting USA-station model, check out the "Building Kits" at www.custommodelrailroads.com
I have ordered some of the kits previously (great results, very unique approach with acylic). Their station and concourse are very unique!