Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline berkgenc  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2021 18:57:53(UTC)
berkgenc

Turkey   
Hello folks,

I found an old marklin set which consists of 1 locomotive (db 89006), 4 freight cars, a transformer and some K tracks. It is all runing very well. My questions will be about expanding this set;

1- I have 2 pieces marklin 2191 tracks. I think these are used as a transition track from k to m? By using this transition tracks can i expand my set with M types of tracks? Are those completely compatible with K tracks and my locomotive? They recommend me to switch C track but in my country there is not any marklin dealer, so C track quite expansive, but i may find M tracks in second hand markets.

2- As I read my locomotive is analog. What if i want to run 2 locomotives on my existing set, is it possible? Do i need any signaling or anything else for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all of your replies.

Best regards,
Berk
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2021 19:49:58(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Hi Berk,

Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: berkgenc Go to Quoted Post

1- I have 2 pieces marklin 2191 tracks. I think these are used as a translation track from k to m? By using this transition tracks can i expand my set with M types of tracks? Are those completely compatible with K tracks and my locomotive? They recommend me to switch C track but in my country there is no any marklin dealer, so C track quite expansive, but i may find M tracks in second hand markets.

Yes and yes. It would be better to stick with K track, though, or just bite the bullet and switch to C track before the sunk costs make the switch unattractive. They can be bought second hand too.

2- As I read my locomotive is analog. What if i want to run 2 locomotives on my existing set, is it possible? Do i need any signaling or anything else for that?

Well, you can certainly put a second analog locomotive on the tracks - but you cannot control them separately.

If you want to run several locomotives independently, using signals is the preferred way to do it. For two locomotives, you would need at least three signals, so that you can divide the track in three segments, one for each loco and one free segment so that one or the other loco can move into it.

Alternatively, you could just use 7274 boxes to switch power on and off on selected track segments; with this, you can park one loco on a siding while running the other.

By the way, newer starter packs since about 1992 come with a BR 89 006 having DELTA decoder. Are you sure yours is analog?
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline berkgenc  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2021 20:27:23(UTC)
berkgenc

Turkey   
Thank you Martti, it is my pleasure.

Local online second hand market has many m tracks listing but there is only a few C tracks and none K tracks. Also there is no transition track from K to C in second hand market. I see expanding my set with M tracks by using transition track that i already have as a good option.

For running several locomotives, i think using 7274 boxes is much affordable for my situation rather than finding signals. I have a old blue transistor and i found another blue box like the one you advise 7072. I guess they do the same job, am i right?

1A7515FE-3110-47B1-99BD-41146A544E1B.jpeg

This is my sweet locomotive. I think it is really old at least it smells old to me :)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by berkgenc
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2021 01:00:16(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   

For running several locomotives, i think using 7274 boxes is much affordable for my situation rather than finding signals. I have a old blue transistor and i found another blue box like the one you advise 7072. I guess they do the same job, am i right?

Nope, 7072 is a different box, used to control switches and signals. Older models 7210 and 7211 are equivalent with 7274, as is the box 7273. 7211 and 7273 are bit more versatile at the cost of more wiring.

Of course, you also need a way to isolate track segments and connect the segments to the 7210/7211/7274 boxes. For K-track, the pieces 7500, 7504, and 7522 are intended for these purposes. I have no experience on K tracks myself, but probably there are DIY approaches to achieve the same result.

Your locomotive is indeed a classical analog BR 89. Enjoy!

- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä