Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline alexaqui  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2013 22:11:13(UTC)
alexaqui

United States   
Hi all,

Now that my starter set is working and I have my first set of expansion tracks, I have some questions as I begin planning for the future.

I currently have a MS2 and the new track connector box. Is there a way to separate out yellow, as there is no yellow wire output from the connector box? Also, is there a way to separate the red/brown before going to the track so that I can use K83s, rather than in-track decoders? When using K83s, is there a way to install them separately?

I'm curious how I can power the yellow line for my switch laterns using the MS2 and the way it is connected to the track.

I have a 24624 double slip switch and installed the decoder. Unfortunately, it seems to me that installing a decoder into this switch does not work so well. No matter how I route the wire, there I get some interference with the operation of the arms that move the switch. It seems like this switch is best served with using a decoder that can be mounted under the board.

Thanks in advance! I start construction of my first part of my table this coming weekend (going modular... trying to decide between an 8'x6' primary section or a 2 4'x6's).

-AA
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2013 11:03:13(UTC)
H0

Hi.
Originally Posted by: alexaqui Go to Quoted Post
Also, is there a way to separate the red/brown before going to the track so that I can use K83s, rather than in-track decoders?
There are several ways. You can cut the cable from track box to track to get the power for the k83 there (also connect the cut-off piece or a 74040 to feed the track). Or you can take a 74040 cable and connect it to the track where you also connect the track box. These are just two options.
When the layout grows, you'll need more feeder tracks anyway. This will require 74040s or 74042s - or a bag of spade connectors to make the wires yourself. Or solder wires to the tracks.

Originally Posted by: alexaqui Go to Quoted Post
Is there a way to separate out yellow, as there is no yellow wire output from the connector box?
There is "yellow" on the k83 for exactly that purpose. Otherwise a separate transformer can be used not to have the lanterns consume track power.
The power supply of the MS2 cannot be used for this purpose.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline alexaqui  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2013 15:08:27(UTC)
alexaqui

United States   
Thank you very much. That seems pretty obvious now that you told me how! LOL.

I now see the yellow outs on the K83. How does one get yellow to switch lanterns, which are wired separately?

Thanks again!

-AA