Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AlanC  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2022 16:25:33(UTC)
AlanC

Bulgaria   
I am familiar with DCC but am new to AC and Marklin.

I am planning to use Digital/MFX for locos with C Track, but I want to use analogue for point control, uncouplers etc.

I was confused about the choice of alternative devices for analogue control. For instance there are 2 different uncoupler tracks - 24997 and 20997 - and 2 different Control Boxes- 72720 and 72752. I don't understand the difference between these items and why you would select one rather than the other. Also the Marklin manuals don't suggest what device the Control Boxes should be connected to for power. They just mention a maximum voltage and seem to suggest AC or DC power is OK.

Likewise there seems to a choice of several Control Boxes for turnouts.

Any help for a confused newbie would be much appreciated.
Offline mountainroads  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2022 03:48:27(UTC)
mountainroads

Hi Alan:

Welcome to this wonderful group. I thought I might be able to assist when I saw "analog" in your post, but my expertise is strictly limited to ALL-analog, circa 1965 - 1980. Hopefully, someone else can provide some helpful input and guidance.

Regards,

- MR
Offline revmox  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2022 04:28:36(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi Alan,

I run my small layout with a MS2, Mobile Station 2, controller to give me control over half a dozen locomotives.

I really don't like the idea of fishing through menus to control points - I have electronic, electrical, programming and industrial control qualifications but I just want it all to be super simple and easy.

To control the points I use 74491/74492 point motors (also called ETMs - electric turnout mechanisms) and it seems that the only difference is the plug on the cable that comes with it - one for simple analogue control and one to plug into a digital decoder. I take whichever one I can get my hand on locally and cut the tail ends off anyway.

To control the points I use the 72710 control box with feedback - that means red and green LEDs to show which way the point is set.

I power all the points off an el cheapo 15 volt, 1 amp transformer.

Cheers and good luck.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2022 10:17:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: AlanC Go to Quoted Post
I was confused about the choice of alternative devices for analogue control. For instance there are 2 different uncoupler tracks - 24997 and 20997 - and 2 different Control Boxes- 72720 and 72752.
Yep, it is confusing.
There should be no difference between 24xxx and 20xxx tracks. 20xxx is for toy shops, 24xxx is for MRR shops. Different packaging.

72752 and 74492 are for the Start Up assortment: there is a system of four-pole wires that allows to connect control boxes and switch boxes in a daisy chain with the track connector box as the start. No power feed needed. Plug'n'play for the Start Up world. Good for temporary floor layouts.
Bad choice for larger layouts. Bad choice if you do not have a Start Up starter set that can be used as the root of the daisy chain.

With 72720 you need an external power supply (unless you decide to use digital track current). Individual wiring required. Good for permanent layouts, but can also be used for temporary floor layouts. 74491 are appropriate here (but you can always cut the plugs off).
With 74491 you can also use the 72710 control box with LEDs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage