Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2010 07:02:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Suggestion or Warning:

I have noticed, lot of members are buying locos with mfx decoders and when they try them out, realizing some of the functions are not available or can't be changed.
If you are one of modelrail enthusiasts who likes to change the CV's, mfx may not be the most suitable decoder or loco to buy.
You have to look for an open protocol decoder.
There are also misperception or interpetrations of the beneficial values of such decoders.
On the other hand, Märklin enthusiasts are limited in their choice of locos, without mfx decoders.

In my eyes there is only one benefit: automatic recognition.

if you have for instance around 60 locos on your layout you are not able to remember all your numbers of your locos or symbols.
Where is the benefit ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2010 11:47:28(UTC)
H0

Hi, John!
river6109 wrote:

In my eyes this is the biggest drawback: mandatory automatic recognition.

Currently you need a CS1 to dim the lights of a loco with M* mfx decoder (but rumours say CS2 will learn it, too - sooner or later).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2010 13:33:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
H0 wrote:
Hi, John!
river6109 wrote:

In my eyes this is the biggest drawback: mandatory automatic recognition.

Currently you need a CS1 to dim the lights of a loco with M* mfx decoder (but rumours say CS2 will learn it, too - sooner or later).

Tom,

I rephrase my sentence: In my eyes, there is only one con benefit: automatic recognition, withother words, people are attracted to the idea.
My idea of automatic recognition is: to have similar decoder numbers together, e.g. from my earlier collection of BR 44's: Number 42, 43, 44, 45, as I do not possess a BR 45.
My DB BR E 194 (when I had 2 of them): decoder Number 22, 23 and the list goes on.
For instance most of my Swiss locos range between the decoder numbers of 30 - 39 with some locos having the same decoder number (double header), ÖBB locos 58-69, DB Steam from 1 - 9, others between 70-80

As I still linger with 80 digital numbers, these numbers from 1 - 80 have been embedded into my memory for years now.
Some of the loco's decoder numbers, I go by catalogue number or Roadnumber, e.g. 3074, 3075, respectively decoder number 74, 75, whereas.

Anything mandatory, not in my house. ThumbDown

John
Offline pa-pauls  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2010 13:59:30(UTC)
pa-pauls

H0 wrote:
(but rumours say CS2 will learn it, too - sooner or later).

Yes it will Wink
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline supermoee  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2010 14:35:43(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
river6109 wrote:
Suggestion or Warning:

I have noticed, lot of members are buying locos with mfx decoders and when they try them out, realizing some of the functions are not available or can't be changed.
John

Hello John,

I can change nearly everything in my mfx decoders. What do you mean in particular?

The only thing what is not possible is to replace the sound. But this I do not care.

Another big advantagse of mfx decoders for me are:

- 128 speed steps, I can get a smoother and wider ABV behaviour
- 16 Functions: I'm wondering how of my locos have already more than 8 functions

rgds

Stephan
Offline TimR  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2010 15:06:05(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Benefits, other than auto recognition, are as Stephan stated in his post..
also practically a limitless number of lok address - as opposed to Marklin Motorola.
I'm quite satisfied with the characteristics of my MFX loks.

Of course, understandably, speed steps and number of functions are things that a good DCC decoder can easily emulate.

Another benefit for most customers is convenience of the complete packaging.
It is easy to jump straight away into MFX, rather then studying tons of material and deciding which way to go with DCC....

The main disadvantage is IMO;
Once you are accustomed to all the technology,
you would wish that MFX packaging could be a bit more flexible.
Sound or no sound; can I use that other brand with my Marklin, etc...
Basically, MFX is the way Marklin try to restrict you to stay within the realms of their own products.

As to the problems that John mentioned;
There seems to be a few problem with the "new" inhouse MFX decoders that Marklin fit in their latest models.
So far all of my models still use ESU decoders, so can't comment on these new ones...
but in Stummi, it seems a lot of posters are cursing the characteristics of these new decoders. Many of them actually replaced them with ESU V4 or a DCC decoder instead.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline trainbuff  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2010 15:09:14(UTC)
trainbuff

river6109 wrote:
Suggestion or Warning:

If you are one of modelrail enthusiasts who likes to change the CV's, mfx may not be the most suitable decoder or loco to buy.
You have to look for an open protocol decoder.
There are also misperception or interpetrations of the beneficial values of such decoders.
On the other hand, Märklin enthusiasts are limited in their choice of locos, without mfx decoders.

if you have for instance around 60 locos on your layout you are not able to remember all your numbers of your locos or symbols.
Where is the benefit ?

John

Hi,

I only have a MS. I recently bought a new MS and plugged it in to the layout. All the mfx loks registered themselves. NiceBigGrin! At that moment I couldn't even remember how I got the other loks onto the MS! So after a short test I unplugged it and used the old MS again. Too much brain work for me after a looong day at work.

Similarly to what you said about cvs, but with my lokprogrammer and loksound mfx decoders, I don't have access to individual cvs. There is only a gui with slider bars to adjust motor characteristics and so forth. The lokprogrammer manual, on figure 14, shows how to change individual cvs. But when I try it, the "Edit CV's" tab is dim and can't be selected. I don't have any loksound non-mfx decoders to test and obviously it wont work with a marklin mfx decoder.

later
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2010 16:40:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
You cannot change the decoder number on a Märklin mfx decoder.
You cannot change CV's.
My point was and is, there are other decoders available without these restrictions.
My other point is, if technology improves on an open protocol market, mfx decoders could be difficult to sell.
Price could be another factor and has shown sofar in conversion sets (60901, 60921 etc etc.) against the cheaper set 60760.
ESU mfx decoders have one advantage, you can change or enter the loco number yourself and from this point onwards it recognizes it automatically.

John
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 16 April 2010 16:53:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Hi,

I only have a MS. I recently bought a new MS and plugged it in to the layout. All the mfx loks registered themselves. NiceBigGrin! At that moment I couldn't even remember how I got the other loks onto the MS! So after a short test I unplugged it and used the old MS again. Too much brain work for me after a looong day at work.

Your old MS should have all the data loco stored ?
It depends on how many locos you have on the track, if they are all mfx, regardless of the new MS or old MS they all register automatically.
If you have more than 10 locos on the track it will not recognize your mfx locos.

John

Offline supermoee  
#10 Posted : 16 April 2010 17:24:31(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
river6109 wrote:
You cannot change CV's
John

Hello John,

I do not know what you are doing, but I can change the CVs and the numbers of my mfx decoders all the times I want by using my CS1 or CS2. Anyhow the number is not important anymore if you run in mfx mode. the decoder number is somewhay pre historic in this new era BigGrin

yes, the new mfx decoder generation developped by Märklin seems to have some small bugs in certain particular conditions, which can be solved woth a firmware update.

My Br23 and 39 are running very well without claims luckily.

At the beginning of a new generation all decoders had bugs. Do not forget the lousy ESU mfx decoders in 2004, which had a lot of problems (ex Alzheimer effect) and the new Zimos in 2009, where a lot of people claimed the lousy firmware, modified afterwards by Zimo.
Märklin will catch up, I'm sure, as the others have done.

rgds

Stephan

Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2010 19:39:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have several MFX locos, and I have no trouble at all changing the decoder address or any of the CVs for speed, acceleration/braking, etc with my 6021.

In fact I find no difference between a MFX loco and a FX loco as far as the 6021 is concerned.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline trainbuff  
#12 Posted : 17 April 2010 05:14:32(UTC)
trainbuff

river6109 wrote:

Hi,

Your old MS should have all the data loco stored ?
It depends on how many locos you have on the track, if they are all mfx, regardless of the new MS or old MS they all register automatically.
If you have more than 10 locos on the track it will not recognize your mfx locos.

John

Hi John,

I appreciate your help, I know how to set up the new MS as a slave or I could figure out how to get them all loaded into the new MS. I did it once before. But that's the point, how many times do I add loks to my control system? Not enough that the process is on top of my mind. So it was really nice that all the mfx loks loaded onto the MS automatically. I like that. For the casual user or someone who does not program much, automatic recognition is really useful. I think its a good move by Marklin to make the system easier to use.

Chris

Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 17 April 2010 15:38:05(UTC)
H0

trainbuff wrote:
I think its a good move by Marklin to make the system easier to use.

Yeah, but the bad move: loco won't run with MS/CS if automatic registration fails (and I've seen many threads complaining about that and I've had problems with it, too).
This leads to the silly situation that sometimes locos run analog and with CU 6021, but won't register with CS/MS and therefore can't be used.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline trainbuff  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2010 16:20:18(UTC)
trainbuff

river6109 wrote:
You cannot change CV's.
My point was and is, there are other decoders available without these restrictions.
My other point is, if technology improves on an open protocol market, mfx decoders could be difficult to sell.
Price could be another factor and has shown sofar in conversion sets (60901, 60921 etc etc.) against the cheaper set 60760.
ESU mfx decoders have one advantage, you can change or enter the loco number yourself and from this point onwards it recognizes it automatically.

John

Some what related, when I read the ESU manual its shows how to change CVs, as in this figure from the manual:
UserPostedImage

But when I try to do that with the Lokprogrammer and ESU mfx decoder, then the "Edit CV" button does nothing, as in this screen shot from my computer:
UserPostedImage

It took me a while to figure out, I keep thinking I was doing something wrong. Its frustrating because I read about CV values on forums and I can't directly input them. Its interesting that both Marklin and ESU decoders in MFX don't give you access to change individual CVs.
Offline mmervine  
#15 Posted : 17 April 2010 20:44:40(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I prefer non-MFX ESU decoders for exactly this reason. I think that the flexibility to edit CV's with the Lokprogrammer outweighs the automatic registration on a CS1/2 or ECOS.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline trainbuff  
#16 Posted : 17 April 2010 21:42:32(UTC)
trainbuff

mmervine wrote:
I prefer non-MFX ESU decoders for exactly this reason. I think that the flexibility to edit CV's with the Lokprogrammer outweighs the automatic registration on a CS1/2 or ECOS.

Too bad we can't have bothCursing. I guess one has to decide what one does the most: edit CVs or place loks on a layout. If I had to choose one, its placing a lok on a layout, because once I get the decoder set right I don't want to mess with it again. But on the other hand, if I could edit CVs, I would get the decoder set up faster and probably better. Trade offs suck.